Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yip, paying for other women’s trips overseas, of course he saw that outlay of cash as an investment but in JO’s case he didnt get a return. Maybe he mostly failed and he ended up spending more on the cons than gaining ? Cause I can’t figure how they seem below average money wise, maybe he is just no good at it. Looks like he spent DH inheritance conning other women

Well he conned Ginette out of $30,000 (not bad for a few week's "work") and JO out of some of her jewellery (which would have helped pay for her one way airfare at least).

Last edited:
Further to my last post about the Gendarmerie records document, I did find the History of the Gendarme that is at the beginning of the document very, very enlightening though! a couple of statements leapt out at me:

"Quatre pelotons mobiles sont également institués dans les grands centres urbains - Bruxelles, Gand, Anvers et Liège - en 1914, dont le but est de soutenir les unités territoriales en cas de désordres importants. Les brigades à cheval sont remplacées par des unités à bicyclette, plus rapides et moins coûteuses." Which roughly translates to
"In 1914, 4 mobile groups were set up in the main cities....the Mounted police (horse) were replaced by faster bicycles." So WOW! I take this to mean that RB's horse story is anachronistic.

Then later statement:
"Sous la deuxième occupation allemande, le secrétaire général du ministère de l'Intérieur et de la Santé, Gérard Romsée, place Emiel Van Coppenolle à la tête de la Police générale du Royaume. Créée au sein du ministère de l'Intérieur en 1934, cette institution était destinée à recueillir l'information sur les menaces potentielles à l'ordre public. Cependant, écartelée entre les différents organes de police, elle était restée un échec relatif. Dans une tentative de centralisation accrue, Van Coppenolle devient également en 1943 le commandant de la Gendarmerie, faisant de ce colonel un homme-clé en matière de sécurité. Le corps connaît - tout comme les polices communales - de nouvelles réformes."
Which roughly translates to "During the German occupation of WW2, the Sec. General of the Ministry of Interior and Health...appointed Emiel Van Coppenolle as head of the Kingdom's General Police...In 1934 [due to centralisation] EvC became Commander of the Gendarmerie - making [this Colonel] a key security man". So WOW again! is this EvC the one in the family tree (Uncle?)

I am not sure if you are referring to my post that I put up earlier about Adrien Emiel Von Copponelle or someone elses (as you mention -Gendarmerie records document being locked for 100 yrs) , but Emiel IS part of WW ( IF it is him) lineage via his mother Maria.

I actually thought the top left photo was a woman. Is it possible this was IK's photo and it was her brother travelling with her posing as her husband? This is a wild guess. The photo I have shared here is allegedly FDH from NAA records but IMO his lips are quite
different, his eyes aren't as hooded and his his nose isn't the same compared to the photos you've shared.
That isnt him. His is the photograph in the document above this one.

O
There was a post earlier today (or last night?) which mentioned that in Belgium you can get married in a religious ceremony but it isn’t recognized until you have a civil ceremony. Maybe that’s what he did? Organised a non civil ceremony and had them think they had been married, hence Marion changing her name to Remakel?
or japan.. very easy…
Then if he had the opportunity the next day to return he could get the certificate (as one isn’t given) and he has proof in Australia they are married.

I actually thought the top left photo was a woman. Is it possible this was IK's photo and it was her brother travelling with her posing as her husband? This is a wild guess. The photo I have shared here is allegedly FDH from NAA records but IMO his lips are quite
different, his eyes aren't as hooded and his his nose isn't the same compared to the photos you've shared.

This is WW in the top document and the Document is asking details of family accompanying .....
and this is IK

Attachments

• WW 15 Feb 1970 Depart Commonwealth.jpg
    WW 15 Feb 1970 Depart Commonwealth.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 80
  • ShowImage (1).jpg
    ShowImage (1).jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 65
I have found something very interesting. If we presume RBs father was Desire David this article proves very pertinent.

28 Jan 1933

Love on the Train

CORRIDOR CAR DON JUAN

Not even notorious Bluebeards like Landru had so many fiancées to their discredit as the
police credit Desire David, the Don Juan of the corridor cars. Deeming himself irresistible to the opposite sex,. ex-Lieut Desire David, wounded war hero, suspected spy, and six times convicted rogue, who has served twelve years in prison, is once more in the hands of the French police, and the allegations are of an amazing character.

It is alleged that for years David has haunted the corridors of the international trains seeking out wealthy foreign women travelling alone, with the object of making lightning love to them in order to gain their confidence as preliminary to extracting money and jewellery from them. So rapid and so thorough were the methods of the man that he has been known to board a train at the Gare deLyon in the wake of an utter stranger, and to emerge with her at the end of the journey an engaged couple! In one instance it is alleged that he actually went through a marriage ceremony with one of the women he wooed in the course of the journey, taking advantage of a long wait at a frontier station.

He has wooed and become affianced to at least one hundred women, several of them English, and one at least well known in London Society. The man had a: accomplices his sister, and his 'petite Amie. 'who are accused of having helped him to pick out likely victims, and if necessary to aid the main gaining the confidence of these victims ,,,, [missing text]

'Everything has gone wrong between me and my friend' she wrote. ‘I am hopelessly In love with him and life is not worth living. ‘One of these letters sent other lover, and all of them are now in the hands of the police. It was through her sister. Mrs. Mabel Scott, that the

tragedy was discovered. She received a letter and, bursting open the door of the Sat, found Mrs. de Brevai dead in bed. She had garbed herself L her oesi pink silk nightdress, and a oiueboidoir cape covered her shoulders. On her face was a peaceful smile, and she appeared to be staring up at the photograph of the man she loved, hanging on the wall above, as if her last earthly thoughts had been of him before she passed out into eternity. . ? .

Mrs. de Brevai spent a fortune of £10,000 in the last three years, she was separated from a wealthy husband who generously provided for her. Known as Peggy Croshie to the habitués of the West End nightclubs, she would sometimes invite a number of her friends to her other flat in Colville Gardens, Notting Hill Gay, luxurious affairs these parties were, in which no expense was spared. Choice foods and wines were on the table, and champagne flowed like water. The revelry reached high pitch on occasions, and many of her neighbours would chaff her in a friendly way about the noise her friends had made on the previous night, She kept her tiny flat in Dovsr street simply as a handy spot where she could take her friends for cocktails, and she also had a cottage at Virginia Water, which she visited at week-ends. 'We knew bar friend was very wealthy,' explained a male acquaintance, who had often been to her parties, 'but though we met him often at the flat, she introduced him simply As 'Bob'.'

On a night just before the tragedy she met the young banker and implored him to have half an hours talk with her. He was unable to grant this, and she said that she could not go on without him. She also tried to get in touch with him by telephone. Then she wrote just before she died, saying there was nothing more to live for. Not even the gaiety she loved would compensate for the loss of her handsome banker. Mrs. de Brevai left a request to be buried in her wedding dress, and arrangements were made to carry out her wishes.

I can hardly believe this. What an astonishing story. I wonder if Fredy David was his son, or whether they are connected in any way, or if anyone has researched Desire David.

What an interesting find.

I see on Ancestry there are many, many ship trips to New York by Desire David.

(I still think Willie Wouters Belgian heroin dealer busted in New York with Swiss links is RB).

Desire David sails a couple time to Australia, and Noumea,
Wondering if Desire David was a seaman.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220224_232915.jpg
    Screenshot_20220224_232915.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20220224_232442.jpg
    Screenshot_20220224_232442.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20220224_231853.jpg
    Screenshot_20220224_231853.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20220224_231706.jpg
    Screenshot_20220224_231706.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 33
I can hardly believe this. What an astonishing story. I wonder if Fredy David was his son, or whether they are connected in any way, or if anyone has researched Desire David.

Maybe he read the story haha ...I thought Desire David was the husband of Maria before Wouters , although i think he was Pierre Desire David and Fred and Desire jnr were his sons ..only from memory when i researched way back ..its getting late and i am tired so i stand corrected if i missed a middle name ..or i am wrong

When I searched previous article I found a different Desire David based on the trove story and who he married.

Family tree of Desiré Charles Octave DAVID

The similarities are insane so perhaps the two Desires are connected.. and RB has followed in uncle or cousin or whatever’s footsteps.

Well old mate certainly had a Master teacher that is for sure, so maybe there is something in this! It really is quite incredible reading it!

Maybe he read the story haha ...I thought Desire David was the husband of Maria before Wouters , although i think he was Pierre Desire David and Fred and Desire jnr were his sons ..only from memory when i researched way back ..its getting late and i am tired so i stand corrected if i missed a middle name ..or i am wrong
I think these articles are about
Family tree of Desiré Charles Octave DAVID

Yes he was.
Family tree of Maria Coppenolle

All the same that story is SO incredibly similar!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
in2itive