Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct if alone but if we fly with someone else, they check both people into together when you are likely to see the other passport.
Ahh this is probably exactly why he flew separately from Marion (she knew him as FR—not the name on his passport) vs JO, whom he flew with on the same flight. She knew him as his passport name I believe.

Hearing RB say that Marion had a large appetite for sex was a direct stab at Sally in my opinion. RB must be furious with what Sally has been able to achieve in bringing everything to light and this comment was purely a stab at that. It must have been so sad for Sally to hear. The guy is a psychopath. I have a feeling he’ll have other comments like this when he is back giving evidence.

He said she was "voracious"! LOL. The poor man on his crutches in his 20s in a hotel in Switzerland on a Belgian invalid pension couldn't cope.

Last edited:
IMO In brief, RB met DdH in 1975 but it could have been 1974 as there is no record of his returning to Australia.

Sorry about the length of this but I have updated it and will put my comments in bold to explain how I understand this:

This is the timeline with my interpretations:

WW could not have met DdH on the Chusan in early 1970 (or in 1971) here as he was in Sydney with Ilona who gave birth to their first child in January, 1970. "You cannot be in two places at once" said Casselden.

1970-01 Ilona gives birth to Evelyn Wouters who later became Evelyn Reid

1970-02-15
Ilona left Australia on UT2506 from Sydney to Belgium?
1970-02-15 Willy Wouters departed Australia without a re-entry visa on UT2506 to Belgium, status Divorced (2)

Note that WW and IW left on the same flight for Belgium even though he states he is divorced. How could they get divorced so quickly if they only married in 1968? Why leave on the same flight as the wife you are divorced from? IMO WW states this as he intends to get rid of the WW name while he is in Europe as WW has a criminal record attached to it which will deny him of re-entry and come back in another name. IMO he faked the first Marriage Certificate to Ilona to get Australian residency then once they got to Europe, maybe Ilona insisted they get married as they were now parents and before they did, he pretended he lost his passport and got another one in the name of Michael J Reid - a name which would be more acceptable in Australia.

More convictions in Belgium and France, for fraud, attempted fraud, breach of trust, impersonation. Various short prison sentences in France, the longest 4 years, most to be served concurrently.

1970 Ilona married in Budapest Hungary to MJR (Reid?)

How could Ilona who has a newborn baby meet and marry someone with an English sounding name the same year that she arrived in Europe to stay with her parents because there was not enough time to get a divorce? IMO WW changed his name to Michael J Reid when he married Ilona in 1970 overseas so that Australian govt would not know when he returned.

1971 Ilona first child born (daughter ER) should be Jan 1970

This is incorrect. Daughter was born in 1970. I have corrected this since as Casselden brought this up at inquest.

RB goes to prison 1971 in France as WW.

1971-6-23 WW.Arrested Rouen, Discharged 21/5/1974
1971-12-09 Willy Wouters Rouen France, sentenced to 4 years prison for fraud, forgery, confidence tricks, giving false identity
1972-01-11 WW sentenced to one month for unsecured cheques in absentia in France.
1972-11-16 Willy Wouters Lille France, 1 years prison (concurrent with previous sentence)
1973-01-23 Willy Waitress Fraud 1 years prison (concurrent with previous sentences)

I think there is enough time here for Michal J Reid (WW) and Ilona to conceive their second child?

1973 Ilona second child born (son C Reid) - exact date of his birth is unknown

1974-01 Willy Wouters App Dousai "checks without cover" 1 years prison
1974-05-21 Willy Wouters discharged from prison. He may have then joined Ilona again in Belgium after leaving prison but where he was, is unaccounted for.
I predict that Ilona has been living with her parents in Belgium (not Hungary) while WW has been in prison. Not sure if she ever knew he went to prison. Maybe he concocted a story or that led to their separation as she returned to Australia alone with her two children and went to live in Melbourne. No record to say he and Ilona ever divorced and she died of a heart attack (not in a car crash as RB claimed) in Melbourne.

Between 1974 and 1975 IMO, Willy Wouters using a passport in the name of Michael J Reid must have returned to Australia but no records can be found say immigration dept (this file is not public) as they were unable to link the name WW to Michael J Reid IMO.
Did MJR enter Australia again on his WW Australian passport changed to the name of MJReid so he could enter easily as he had Australian residency on that attached or did MJR get a fake Belgian passport in the name of M J Reid in which case, he would have entered on a Holiday Visa for three months? If he arrived on a Holiday visa, he could not officially work so IMO he could have worked for cash in 1975 at the cafe owned by DdH parents as DdH said he worked for her parents there. IMO this is where they first met.He also lived with her parents at Vaucluse. Did he overstay his Holiday visa or had he used a faked Australian passport and arrived earlier in 1974?

If RB did not get a divorce from Ilona, he could have been married to Ilona and DdH at the same time for one year and thought he could get away with it by changing names. RB married DdH in 1976. Ilona died in 1977-07-13. Bigamy? Or were none of Ilona and RB's marriages registered officially? Perhaps the one in Belgium was to Michael J Reid.

CONTINUED >>>

1977 We know they (he & DdeH) are listed in census docs living in 1/303 Old South West Road, Bondi and he has listed himself as an artist and D as a secretary. (Note D name is spelt here with 1 'N') He told her he was a Wedding Photographer

and then in

1980 Are listed in living in Military Road, he's listed as a photographer and DdeH is listed as hd = (is this the abbreviation for hand?) Home Duties

My question and mind keep circling around: How & when did he meet DdeH?! How does she fit in?

I think he really also could be MJ Reid.

12 Feb 1976 – WW changes name to FDdH
IMO This is because his M J Reid name is a fake, he has not been divorced from Ilona and WW has a criminal record so he claims he lost his passport.

20 Feb 1976 – FDdH marries DW

23 Feb 1976 – FDdH applies for Aus citizenship

25 Mar 1976 – FDdH Aus citizenship granted and AU passport issued

28 July 1976 – FDdH and DdH depart Aus. DdH claims in the next few years they lived in Belgium,
3 years in Luxembourg, a few months in Bordeaux, France, back to Belgium, UK for 3 years then Aus

1977 We know they (he & DdeH) are listed in census docs living in 1/303 Old South West Road, Bondi and he has listed himself as an artist and D as a secretary. (Note D name is spelt here with 1 'N') He told her he was a Wedding Photographer

Oct 76 - Feb 77 – FDdH arrested in Luxembourg as Roger Lauzoney from Morocco born 1945

1977-07-13 Ilona died, age 31yo, St Kilda, Victoria of Myocardial ischaemia (heart), The Coroner at Melbourne Mr H.W. Pascoe ordered burial of the body without inquest. What happened to her two children? Was WW/MJR the father?

13 Aug 1978 – FDdH and DdH return to Aus

2 Apr 1979 – FDdH DdH son born in Sydney

1980 Are listed in living in Military Road, he's listed as a photographer and DdeH is listed as hd = (is this the abbreviation for hand?) Home Duties

6 Feb 1980 – FDdH departs Aus

23 Apr 1980 – DdH and son depart Aus

21 Jan 1980 – DdH and son return to Aus

2 Apr 1981 – FDdH issued Aus passport issued Germany

17 Apr 1981 – FDdH DW daughter born in Luxembourg

18 Nov 1981 – FDdH returns to Aus

4 Dec 1981 – FDdH departs Aus, no apparent re-entry into Aus for 6 years[/QUOTE]
The family name Lauson/Lauzon in connected with The Bordeaux region. RB is arrested with the name Roger Lauzoney after spending time in Bordeaux. Does he use this name before that?

But weren't you suggesting that they may have had to get married as DdH was pregnant?
Miscarriage? Abortion (no need to get married then)?

I would predict that as soon as he got the job of working in her parent's cafe, found out DdH's parents were wealthy and had a single daughter aged about 23/24yo then, he was full of charm to all three. They probably invited him home for a meal and he eventually wheedled his way into living there claiming he had to move out of his room as the owners had sold the house where he was living and they felt sorry for him. Or maybe they offered the room as part of his job. He then worked on DdH probably proposing to her not long after he met her as he was keen to get Australian residency again by marrying an Australian. Did her parents approve of the marriage? Not sure as the Wayside Chapel would not have been a place which wealthy parents would choose for their only daughter's wedding. But she was left an inheritance so they didn't cut her off. As her parents seem to have been well-established, and died about ten or more years later when DdH claimed she inherited, I suspect that they were older parents. IMO

Yes love this scenario.

I was suggesting a pregnancy out of wedlock and going away for a 'few months holiday' ... she says she was writing to him in prison until he comes back to Aust 1974? or earlier ?
WHY would she be doing this if she did not meet him until 1974 /5 ? ( IF you can believe anything that comes out of her mouth )
Once he returns to Aust he is ready to marry his gold mine....

Last edited:
IMO In brief, RB met DdH in 1975 but it could have been 1974 as there is no record of his returning to Australia.

Sorry about the length of this but I have updated it and will put my comments in bold to explain how I understand this:

This is the timeline with my interpretations:

WW could not have met DdH on the Chusan in early 1970 (or in 1971) here as he was in Sydney with Ilona who gave birth to their first child in January, 1970. "You cannot be in two places at once" said Casselden.

1970-01 Ilona gives birth to Evelyn Wouters who later became Evelyn Reid

1970-02-15
Ilona left Australia on UT2506 from Sydney to Belgium?
1970-02-15 Willy Wouters departed Australia without a re-entry visa on UT2506 to Belgium, status Divorced (2)

Note that WW and IW left on the same flight for Belgium even though he states he is divorced. How could they get divorced so quickly if they only married in 1968? Why leave on the same flight as the wife you are divorced from? IMO WW states this as he intends to get rid of the WW name while he is in Europe as WW has a criminal record attached to it which will deny him of re-entry and come back in another name. IMO he faked the first Marriage Certificate to Ilona to get Australian residency then once they got to Europe, maybe Ilona insisted they get married as they were now parents and before they did, he pretended he lost his passport and got another one in the name of Michael J Reid - a name which would be more acceptable in Australia.

More convictions in Belgium and France, for fraud, attempted fraud, breach of trust, impersonation. Various short prison sentences in France, the longest 4 years, most to be served concurrently.

1970 Ilona married in Budapest Hungary to MJR (Reid?)

How could Ilona who has a newborn baby meet and marry someone with an English sounding name the same year that she arrived in Europe to stay with her parents because there was not enough time to get a divorce? IMO WW changed his name to Michael J Reid when he married Ilona in 1970 overseas so that Australian govt would not know when he returned.

1971 Ilona first child born (daughter ER) should be Jan 1970

This is incorrect. Daughter was born in 1970. I have corrected this since as Casselden brought this up at inquest.

RB goes to prison 1971 in France as WW.

1971-6-23 WW.Arrested Rouen, Discharged 21/5/1974
1971-12-09 Willy Wouters Rouen France, sentenced to 4 years prison for fraud, forgery, confidence tricks, giving false identity
1972-01-11 WW sentenced to one month for unsecured cheques in absentia in France.
1972-11-16 Willy Wouters Lille France, 1 years prison (concurrent with previous sentence)
1973-01-23 Willy Waitress Fraud 1 years prison (concurrent with previous sentences)

I think there is enough time here for Michal J Reid (WW) and Ilona to conceive their second child?

1973 Ilona second child born (son C Reid) - exact date of his birth is unknown

1974-01 Willy Wouters App Dousai "checks without cover" 1 years prison
1974-05-21 Willy Wouters discharged from prison. He may have then joined Ilona again in Belgium after leaving prison but where he was, is unaccounted for.
I predict that Ilona has been living with her parents in Belgium (not Hungary) while WW has been in prison. Not sure if she ever knew he went to prison. Maybe he concocted a story or that led to their separation as she returned to Australia alone with her two children and went to live in Melbourne. No record to say he and Ilona ever divorced and she died of a heart attack (not in a car crash as RB claimed) in Melbourne.

Between 1974 and 1975 IMO, Willy Wouters using a passport in the name of Michael J Reid must have returned to Australia but no records can be found say immigration dept (this file is not public) as they were unable to link the name WW to Michael J Reid IMO.
Did MJR enter Australia again on his WW Australian passport changed to the name of MJReid so he could enter easily as he had Australian residency on that attached or did MJR get a fake Belgian passport in the name of M J Reid in which case, he would have entered on a Holiday Visa for three months? If he arrived on a Holiday visa, he could not officially work so IMO he could have worked for cash in 1975 at the cafe owned by DdH parents as DdH said he worked for her parents there. IMO this is where they first met.He also lived with her parents at Vaucluse. Did he overstay his Holiday visa or had he used a faked Australian passport and arrived earlier in 1974?

If RB did not get a divorce from Ilona, he could have been married to Ilona and DdH at the same time for one year and thought he could get away with it by changing names. RB married DdH in 1976. Ilona died in 1977-07-13. Bigamy? Or were none of Ilona and RB's marriages registered officially? Perhaps the one in Belgium was to Michael J Reid.

CONTINUED >>>

and then in

My question and mind keep circling around: How & when did he meet DdeH?! How does she fit in?

I think he really also could be MJ Reid.

12 Feb 1976 – WW changes name to FDdH
IMO This is because his M J Reid name is a fake, he has not been divorced from Ilona and WW has a criminal record so he claims he lost his passport.

20 Feb 1976 – FDdH marries DW

23 Feb 1976 – FDdH applies for Aus citizenship

25 Mar 1976 – FDdH Aus citizenship granted and AU passport issued

28 July 1976 – FDdH and DdH depart Aus. DdH claims in the next few years they lived in Belgium,
3 years in Luxembourg, a few months in Bordeaux, France, back to Belgium, UK for 3 years then Aus

Oct 76 - Feb 77 – FDdH arrested in Luxembourg as Roger Lauzoney from Morocco born 1945

1977-07-13 Ilona died, age 31yo, St Kilda, Victoria of Myocardial ischaemia (heart), The Coroner at Melbourne Mr H.W. Pascoe ordered burial of the body without inquest. What happened to her two children? Was WW/MJR the father?

13 Aug 1978 – FDdH and DdH return to Aus

2 Apr 1979 – FDdH DdH son born in Sydney

6 Feb 1980 – FDdH departs Aus

23 Apr 1980 – DdH and son depart Aus

21 Jan 1980 – DdH and son return to Aus

2 Apr 1981 – FDdH issued Aus passport issued Germany

17 Apr 1981 – FDdH DW daughter born in Luxembourg

18 Nov 1981 – FDdH returns to Aus

4 Dec 1981 – FDdH departs Aus, no apparent re-entry into Aus for 6 years[/QUOTE]
The family name Lauson/Lauzon in connected with The Bordeaux region. RB is arrested with the name Roger Lauzoney after spending time in Bordeaux. Does he use this name before that?

I have a vague recollection that her car was parked in her driveway, and she left her purse in the car. Wouldn’t Marion have cancelled that Medicare card and gotten a new one issued? RB has probably gotten his hands on that later. DDH denied using any other names, but I’d say the police have evidence that proves otherwise.

In her driveway? So she had CCTV in her home there? Few people I know have CCTV even now. IMO if Marion was in a hurry to go overseas, her Medicare card would be the last thing she would worry about replacing as you cannot use it overseas. All you have to prove is that you're Australian with your passport to get reciprocal medical cover overseas for emergencies. Also she would have to have changed it into her Remakel name to match her passport. That could wait until she returned. Even if she had to go to her doctor in those last weeks, they would have the No on their records if she told them it was stolen. I am never asked for it as it is on file.

I think I have worked out why it was important for both DdH and RB to lie about when they met and give the Chusan story to Casselden.

I think the reason why they both told this story is because RB was still married to Ilona when he married DdH in 1976. Ilona died in 1977 so there is over a year's overlap.

So my theory is that he could be charged with bigamy so they have made up the Chusan story to cut Ilona out of RB's history.

Maybe he is even still married to Janine Leroy and Nicole Renault/Renaud if they are still alive if there has not been a legal divorce. Also he has probably never paid child maintenance.

Could RB have been married to four women at the one time in 1976 if he never legally divorced any of them?
Because police have been able to connect his aliases now, maybe they have checked this out.

I doubt whether RB ever legally divorced any of his three previous wives. He simply changed his name and address and thought he'd get away with it.

Criminal offence of bigamy
It is a criminal offence to marry a person whilst already married. The maximum penalty for bigamy is five years imprisonment.

Last edited:
I think I have worked out why it was important for both DdH and RB to lie about when they met and give the Chusan story to Casselden.

I think the reason why they both told this story is because RB was still married to Ilona when he married DdH in 1976. Ilona died in 1977 so there is over a year's overlap.

So my theory is that he could be charged with bigamy so they have made up the Chusan story to cut Ilona out of RB's history.

Maybe he is even still married to Janine Leroy and Nicole Renault/Renaud if they are still alive if there has not been a legal divorce. Also he has probably never paid child maintenance.

Could RB have been married to four women at the one time in 1976 if he never legally divorced any of them?
Because police have been able to connect his aliases now, maybe they have checked this out.

I doubt whether RB ever legally divorced any of his previous wives. He simply changed his name and address and thought he'd get away with it.

Criminal offence of bigamy
It is a criminal offence to marry a person whilst already married. The maximum penalty for bigamy is five years imprisonment.

Excellent theory!

Yes love this scenario.
I was suggesting a pregnancy out of wedlock and going away for a 'few months holiday' ... she says she was writing to him in prison until he comes back to Aust 1974? or earlier ?
WHY would she be doing this if she did not meet him until 1974 /5 ? ( IF you can believe anything that comes out of her mouth )
Once he returns to Aust he is ready to marry his gold mine....

IMO RB and DdH could not have met in 1970. He was with Ilona then. She had just has a baby. The only time he could have met DdH is in 1974/5 after he left prison. They are compulsive liars IMO.

In her driveway? So she had CCTV in her home there? Few people I know have CCTV even now. IMO if Marion was in a hurry to go overseas, her Medicare card would be the last thing she would worry about replacing as you cannot use it overseas. All you have to prove is that you're Australian with your passport to get reciprocal medical cover overseas for emergencies. Also she would have to have changed it into her Remakel name to match her passport. That could wait until she returned. Even if she had to go to her doctor in those last weeks, they would have the No on their records if she told them it was stolen. I am never asked for it as it is on file.

The CCTV was from a service station where her credit card was used. It happened approx one year before she left for Europe.

Further to the CCTV at the servo where Marion’s card was used, by a woman with an uncanny resemblance to Marion, hopefully a vehicle type or model was kept on record by police and might match up with what RB and DDH were driving at the time

IMO RB and DdH could not have met in 1970. He was with Ilona then. She had just has a baby. The only time he could have met DdH is in 1974/5 after he left prison. They are compulsive liars IMO.
Yes, I do think it's doubtful given their track record and the fact that no one can find evidence of their travels that this is the case. I do find it interesting, however, how INTENSELY RB pushed the point that he wouldn't have been having an affair with MC because DDH had JUST HAD A BABY.

I was very curious when Casselden asked her if she had ever used another name and, of course, she said "no". But that question is rarely asked in legal cases. But IMO it is very likely she has also used aliases over the years as her husband seems adept at getting them. I predict she had a passport in another name also and could have used it in 1997. I wonder if police have located evidence of one she has used?
I think this is possible, but wouldn't Casselden have asked more about this if they had anything they could prove? I wasn't sure if it's something they know, or just a theory they have, or if Casselden was simply asking her this as a sort of pointed question to highlight how RIDICULOUS it is for her to claim that she never thought anything of RB's name changes because 'people change their names all the time'.

The CCTV was from a service station where her credit card was used. It happened approx one year before she left for Europe.

Do you have the exact date please? So this occurred in 1996. Most people don't lock their cars at. service stations while they go into pay. I guess the wallet (in a purse?) was stolen which had the Medicare card in it from the front seat. So Marion just took her credit card in to pay. For a person to be able to steal Marion's wallet there, they would have to have been in the car behind her or in the other row. I can't imagine a person walking the streets running in to steal something from a car.

This makes me wonder (if it was DdH as she looked like Marion according to Sally) whether she was following Marion in her car so followed her in her car into the service station. As Marion had never seen DdH, she would not have been able to identify her. But if the service station had CCTV, you would have hoped that they would have seen the Reg No of the car. So if they did, I can only guess that the name and address used on the Registration was fake as police could not locate this person.
So RB and DdH now have Marion's name and address as well as we usually have that on some document in our wallets. What about Marion's driver's licence?

Is this the incident that Casselden is referring to which happened in 1996 and was the reason for their move?

Is this how DdH and RB came to know of Marion? Or were they already surveilling her?

Have police been able to connect this now?

Many questions and no answers. This was simply my attempt to understand what might have happened. IMO

What's your theory?

Yes, I do think it's doubtful given their track record and the fact that no one can find evidence of their travels that this is the case. I do find it interesting, however, how INTENSELY RB pushed the point that he wouldn't have been having an affair with MC because DDH had JUST HAD A BABY.

That's often the time when men do stray as they feel neglected.

I think this is possible, but wouldn't Casselden have asked more about this if they had anything they could prove? I wasn't sure if it's something they know, or just a theory they have, or if Casselden was simply asking her this as a sort of pointed question to highlight how RIDICULOUS it is for her to claim that she never thought anything of RB's name changes because 'people change their names all the time'.

I think it is at least a theory they could be looking into.

FYI, I know the article said Marion's wallet was stolen 'the year before Marion went overseas', but I have it in my notes that it was 1994.

It happens with this case a lot, recollections are fuzzy, the dates were muddled, the podcast is hard to follow and the media do the best they can, but then more info comes along later to clarify it.

1994 – Marion's wallet was stolen from her car. Marion reported it and the thief was caught on CCTV, using a card at a petrol/gas station. The thief as a woman who looked uncannily like Marion. Police were never able to locate the woman.

At inquest 2021, Graeme Smith who was the investigations manager at CBA in 1994, said Marion reported her MasterCard stolen and it was held with the bank’s fraud team.

We are unsure exactly how and when the card was stolen. However, Marion told Sally she remembered leaving her car unlocked with an open door, at school, while she carried a basket and an armful of items inside, then returned to the car to lock it. She didn't immediately notice her card missing so we aren't sure it happened at this time, but rather a memory Marion had of leaving her car unlocked around the time her wallet was stolen.

Timeline
18 Jan 1994
– Marion buys Ashmore home and start at TSS
1994 – Wallet stolen
10 Dec 1994 – Le Courrier rencontres

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes agree with your theory .

I was just trying to determine why it is that both of them are hiding some significant details around the year of 1970.....
My thinking was with EWR born Jan 1970 in Sydney - and Ilona being in the last months of full pregnancy, old mate would no doubt be looking for some action, (given he is constantly fighting off women as he tells it).o_O
Ilona and WW dont leave Aust unitl Feb for Belgium.

It could only be DdeH has some young romantic attachment to a European man she met briefly and she finds herself pregnant. With her family being as they are, no child would be welcomed into that fold given he is a 'married' man and heading back OS.
This fits with her tale of writing to him while away ( in prison) and reconnecting when he returns eventually at her parents cafe...... IMO

FYI, I know the article said Marion's wallet was stolen 'the year before Marion went overseas', but I have it in my notes that it was 1994.

It happens with this case a lot, recollections are fuzzy, the dates were muddled, the podcast is hard to follow and the media do the best they can, but then more info comes along later to clarify it.

Pretty sure it was 1994. Her stolen wallet was also spoken about in the inquest last year as CBA have a record for it. If someone finds info to the contrary, please let me know.

Marion's wallet was stolen from her car. After reporting it, CCTV found that it was taken by a woman who looked uncannily like Marion. Police were never able to locate the woman.

At inquest 2021, Graeme Smith who was the investigations manager at CBA in 1994, said Marion reported her Mastercard stolen and it was held with the bank’s fraud team.

Earlier that year, Marion moved to QLD, bought house at 15 Merinda Court, Ashmore for $180,000 and began working at The Southport School.

So that implies that the important thing that was stolen was her credit card which was in her wallet in 1994. So how did the thief get access to Marion's wallet? Did she leave her car unlocked? Where was her car? Where was she?

If it was in 1994, after Marion answered Remakel's ad, I still think that DdH could have been surveilling Marion and took the opportunity to steal her wallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member