Australia Australia - Marion Barter - Missing After Trip to UK - June 1997 #21

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s very painful for anyone to go through that experience. (I am currently married to someone like that and can’t see any way out that would not lead to financial ruin and/or murder). Unfortunately these people seem to be driven by their twisted emotional brain (with an overwhelming desire for power and control), their rational brain only being used as a backup. I do believe it’s still important to understand and articulate their behaviour in order to be able to take preventative measures, call it out and put a stop to it. Imagine Marion in 1997, had she gone to the police, what would she be reporting? And what would the response have been? I’m guessing she would have been told she brought it upon herself. Even today, we are only just starting to get coercive control legislation implemented in Australia. It’s taken years of discussion and analysis of the behaviour of these people plus many murders. At least 26 years later we have words to describe what RB did to his victims and there would be a sizeable portion of our population who would agree that RB’s behaviour was criminal and that he should face serious consequences. However, we are still waiting for justice.
Well said! Our system is wrong and needs to change. This ‘man’ is still free to do as he pleases. How wrong is that. I wouldn’t put it past him to be swindling online right now. Yet he’s free to do it! Unbelievable.

FWIW Sally's posts on IG are very upbeat, and her smiling face is a welcome sight in my feed. I admire her resilience so much. The Marion FB site is still not allowing the team to post any photos. Seems like just an annoying tech glitch, but in order to stay connected Sally is using IG.

Greetings Friends -- I am only getting started on this very sad and mysterious story <modsnip - not an approved source>

I will try to finish reading Thread #1 a<modsnip - not an approved source> I don't think I will be able to go back and read all the 20 previous threads but can tell by initials being used in recent posts some new people have come into this case.

Without breaking rules, is there a way to provide some of the more recent names so I can translate the initials? Or would someone suggest a Thread where things really started changing, a short cut where I should jump in? (Please don't suggest Thread #2 :eek:)

That wonderful Sally sure deserves some kind of commendation for her smarts, persistence, and the time she has devoted to her mother' disappearance. What a woman. What love and loyalty she has shown all these years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings Friends -- I am only getting started on this very sad and mysterious story after discovering the case <modsnip - not an approved source>

I will try to finish reading Thread #1 <modsnip - not an approved source> I don't think I will be able to go back and read all the 20 previous threads but can tell by initials being used in recent posts some new people have come into this case.

Without breaking rules, is there a way to provide some of the more recent names so I can translate the initials? Or would someone suggest a Thread where things really started changing, a short cut where I should jump in? (Please don't suggest Thread #2 :eek:)

That wonderful Sally sure deserves some kind of commendation for her smarts, persistence, and the time she has devoted to her mother' disappearance. What a woman. What love and loyalty she has shown all these years.
Welcome! There is at least one good timeline online (for your purposes) which would provide all the important names so you can work out the initials, like IK is Blum's first Australian wife etc. DdH is his 2nd Australian wife. AKA is a favorite way to refer to Blum among other ways. Generally he is RB. I believe websleuths uses initials for legal reasons not just brevity, so I'm hesitant to provide any names for you. Google The Lady Vanishes or Marion Barter timeline and you can work it all out.

Yes
Welcome! There is at least one good timeline online (for your purposes) which would provide all the important names so you can work out the initials, like IK is Blum's first Australian wife etc. DdH is his 2nd Australian wife. AKA is a favorite way to refer to Blum among other ways. Generally he is RB. I believe websleuths uses initials for legal reasons not just brevity, so I'm hesitant to provide any names for you. Google The Lady Vanishes or Marion Barter timeline and you can work it all out.
Thank you @MrsEmmaPeel. Yes, I thought I remembered that the initials had a legal reason.

I also discovered that Channel7 (the podcast team) has a two part program that I will also watch.

Greetings Friends -- I am only getting started on this very sad and mysterious story after discovering the case <modsnip - not an approved source>

I will try to finish reading Thread #1 <modsnip - not an approved source> I don't think I will be able to go back and read all the 20 previous threads but can tell by initials being used in recent posts some new people have come into this case.

And The Inquest into Marion’s disappearance can be found here: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoTMJeDSszKbu7dVwMpiozT3r_soLD-lV&si=xz-2IBudw9OnfSVO

Thanks, all, for the warm welcome and quick-start ideas. Just read a couple of the timelines I found through Google and my head is spinning!

It must be easier to get a name change and new passport and/or DrvLic in AU than I've found it to be in US. I would have thought all the changes -- especially the ones only weeks apart -- would have gotten flagged in a data base. OMO.

With all the aliases and wives, travel dates, etc., this would have been a good case for a Media Thread for quick references. I assume there isn't one for this case? I'm not seeing a MB Media Thread in a WS search.

Again, thanks -- will keep working at getting up to speed so I don't post something stupid. And y'all (American Southern speak) are correct, AKA is a total $Iime b@ll. IMHO.

Wait t
Thanks, all, for the warm welcome and quick-start ideas. Just read a couple of the timelines I found through Google and my head is spinning!

It must be easier to get a name change and new passport and/or DrvLic in AU than I've found it to be in US. I would have thought all the changes -- especially the ones only weeks apart -- would have gotten flagged in a data base. OMO.

With all the aliases and wives, travel dates, etc., this would have been a good case for a Media Thread for quick references. I assume there isn't one for this case? I'm not seeing a MB Media Thread in a WS search.

Again, thanks -- will keep working at getting up to speed so I don't post something stupid. And y'all (American Southern speak) are correct, AKA is a total $Iime b@ll. IMHO.
Wait til you see his performance in the last days of the Inquest.

Sadly, the crazy activity of RB's name changing and passports was flagged by Australian Immigration and he was slated for investigation back in the 70s (? again so long ago we discussed this I've forgotten the exact time period.) There was quite a good case built up, as we could see in archives, and then it just stopped. Someone with better memory can tell you more or you can search the threads here.

<modsnip - no link provided>

Sadly, the crazy activity of RB's name changing and passports was flagged by Australian Immigration and he was slated for investigation back in the 70s (? again so long ago we discussed this I've forgotten the exact time period.) There was quite a good case built up, as we could see in archives, and then it just stopped. Someone with better memory can tell you more or you can search the threads here.

There is also a 2 part US podcast by two prosecutors on Marion you may find useful. Series is THE PROSECUTORS ep 127. Can find on Apple Podcasts.
Again everyone, thank you for all the catch-up suggestions.

I’m getting it now and like you — just appalled AKA is still out and about. He’s likely to die before he’s ever brought to Justice!

I know SL will be so relieved when there is a final conclusion, but even if AKA goes to jail, at his age not much punishment compared to all the many woman-years he abused and conned. OMO.

Again everyone, thank you for all the catch-up suggestions.

I’m getting it now and like you — just appalled AKA is still out and about. He’s likely to die before he’s ever brought to Justice!

I know SL will be so relieved when there is a final conclusion, but even if AKA goes to jail, at his age not much punishment compared to all the many woman-years he abused and conned. OMO.
I’m hoping he can be pursued for the proceeds of crime. If that’s what it’s called. Where forensic accountants work out how a pensioner can travel overseas so much, income sources, etc. Share the proceeds amongst his victims.

In my ideal world, RB is pursued for financial reimbursement for his victims and when he dies his estate is next in line for suing. Money is all he cares about. He would definitely be bothered by knowing his funds were destined to flow out of his coffers, hidden away though they may be currently, to women and families he swindled.

Hey there,
I have been reading back over all the information from the MBFB page and the Podcast again, without getting caught up in the small detours this case have given over the years, no thanks to AH himself and his vivid narcissistic imagination.

I realise the majority believe Marion did return home to Australia and I have swung from that, to not returning home numerous times over the past couple of years. But I am still of the belief she didn't return home, even after rehashing all the information given out by MB FB page and TLV.

I know I have posted this missing person up before and sent the MB case to the authorities at the time and I remember another sleuth also mentioning they had done the same.

But I cant shake the similarities to MB and the known links he had to Ireland.

I dont know. Until this missing person gets a name, I cant dismiss this as not being MB.

An image of what she may have looked like has been developed using technology although it is not necessarily an exact depiction of the woman’s face.

I’m caught up with The Lady Vanishes and <not an approved source>

Anything going on with this now? Are we waiting for the coroner to come out with her verdict? (Is that the correct term?)

Did the TLV end for good July 24? Or did Alison and Bryan switch to another venue?

Sorry if I’m out of it on this but I suspect a lot is on Facebook and I’m not a member FB.

Hey there,
I have been reading back over all the information from the MBFB page and the Podcast again, without getting caught up in the small detours this case have given over the years, no thanks to AH himself and his vivid narcissistic imagination.

I realise the majority believe Marion did return home to Australia and I have swung from that, to not returning home numerous times over the past couple of years. But I am still of the belief she didn't return home, even after rehashing all the information given out by MB FB page and TLV.

I know I have posted this missing person up before and sent the MB case to the authorities at the time and I remember another sleuth also mentioning they had done the same.

But I cant shake the similarities to MB and the known links he had to Ireland.

I dont know. Until this missing person gets a name, I cant dismiss this as not being MB.

An image of what she may have looked like has been developed using technology although it is not necessarily an exact depiction of the woman’s face.

Agree, there is enough of a resemblance in the face. Wasn’t Marion a bit taller though? Also if the lady was deceased and entered the water in 2006, where was Marion between 1997 and 2006? Definitely should be checked out. The sooner the inquest can wrap up, the better,so that SL can get to work unlocking the secrets held in the UK and nearby countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scyna0895