Australia Australia - Marion Barter - Missing After Trip to UK - June 1997 #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Australia doesn’t have any inheritance tax, and an inheritance would not impact on his Australian welfare payments as it is not considered to be income. In terms of assets, Australian pension recipients in a couple currently (this amount is indexed every year) are able to own their own home plus have $AUD451.5K in cash before the pension is reduced. These are probably the principal reasons for him using “inheritance” as the description each time he entered Australia. It appears that European countries, including Belgium, do have inheritance taxes. Maybe this is the reason for the substantial tax debt against ER’s name in Belgium. A deep financial dive definitely needs to be made.
Inheritance tax in Belgium, through this link.

Edited to add: this changes so often.

Inheritance tax in Belgium, through this link.

Edited to add: this changes so often.
Thank you, so hopefully there would still be tax records of any inheritance (and a timeline) in Belgium that would prove/disprove the extra income that enabled property purchases etc. Of course, proceeds of crime eg Marion's assets would also be large lump sums of undeclared income....JMO

Thank you, so hopefully there would still be tax records of any inheritance (and a timeline) in Belgium that would prove/disprove the extra income that enabled property purchases etc. Of course, proceeds of crime eg Marion's assets would also be large lump sums of undeclared income....JMO
If there’s a tax debt then you’d expect there to be records still available to substantiate it. Hopefully this might be his undoing.

With an inheritance there would be no tax, but once you start getting an income from it, by investing it, or by getting interest from it in a bank, then I think that is classified as income by Centrelink and the tax office.

Of course all that goes out the window if you are "robbed" of it ;)

I'm wondering if there is anyone from Belguim in here that either confirm or deny if what he said about the inheritance is a thing there or not.

With an inheritance there would be no tax, but once you start getting an income from it, by investing it, or by getting interest from it in a bank, then I think that is classified as income by Centrelink and the tax office.

Of course all that goes out the window if you are "robbed" of it ;)
Yes, any interest income from a bank deposit would be counted as taxable income, and may impact his pension if it was high enough, but somehow, I suspect the likes of AKA would not have been too keen to hand over any money to the government. I’m sure the “inheritances” would have remained as cash and would have been subject to further laundering processes such as, as you suggest, a random mugging now and then.

Australia doesn’t have any inheritance tax, and an inheritance would not impact on his Australian welfare payments as it is not considered to be income. In terms of assets, Australian pension recipients in a couple currently (this amount is indexed every year) are able to own their own home plus have $AUD451.5K in cash before the pension is reduced. These are probably the principal reasons for him using “inheritance” as the description each time he entered Australia. It appears that European countries, including Belgium, do have inheritance taxes. Maybe this is the reason for the substantial tax debt against ER’s name in Belgium. A deep financial dive definitely needs to be made.
[claps] very informative posts these and the others - reckon you’re right on about ER.

I think major developments will occur when it is discovered where MB's $80,000 in the Ashmore Colonial State Bank was/to whom/where, was transferred. My wish is that some archivist has been unrelentingly searching in the bowels of a Commonwealth bank's dusty dungeon for the relevant microfiche or paperwork! Currently, banking records are kept for 7 years, but further back from this, it just requires a more involved search if requested. I would presume the court proceedings would have instructed the bank to do this and have the answer by now.

I wanna give it a try.
What of the many (maaaaany) things he said would you like me to search?
Yes please! It would ve a major hole to poke in his story if it can be proved otherwise. Thank you Carovb5 <3
I'm wondering if his response about how he was getting his inheritance (cashing in some sort of certificates for cash was/is a thing in Belgium) If it's not what happens, then it can be proved he was lying yet again!

Yes please! It would ve a major hole to poke in his story if it can be proved otherwise. Thank you Carovb5 <3
I'm wondering if his response about how he was getting his inheritance (cashing in some sort of certificates for cash was/is a thing in Belgium) If it's not what happens, then it can be proved he was lying yet again!
I know! But he was so vague and dishonest there is actually no details to go on.

I think major developments will occur when it is discovered where MB's $80,000 in the Ashmore Colonial State Bank was/to whom/where, was transferred. My wish is that some archivist has been unrelentingly searching in the bowels of a Commonwealth bank's dusty dungeon for the relevant microfiche or paperwork! Currently, banking records are kept for 7 years, but further back from this, it just requires a more involved search if requested. I would presume the court proceedings would have instructed the bank to do this and have the answer by now.
A good point. But don't you think RB would have covered those tracks in some way? A cash withdrawal or transfer to a different maybe joint account or an account to which he had access as a co-signer?

MBFB Page

We now have information that confirms that by the 26th of October, 1997, Ric Blum had moved from Wollongbar to East Ballina. It could have been much earlier too. From a 3-bedroom family home with a study and backyard that both Ric and Diane insisted they needed for accommodate their teenage children in Wollongbar to a pokey little villa unit, at the front of the block facing the road. This was 11 days after approximately $80,000 was withdrawn from Marion's bank account in Byron Bay, NSW, 20 minutes up the road from there ... Why move ?

The next house move is in early 1999. This move was from Unit 6, to Unit 1 in the same unit block. A nicer unit , yes , sea views, pathway to the beach and a little larger. This move happened exactly a week after Ginette Gaffney-Bowan was successful in her AVO against Ric Blum and a private investigator (that I have spoken with a number of times), was chasing Ric Blum for Ginette's $28,500. Ric could literally have seen the private investigator banging on Unit 6's door from his window ! ... why move ?

Next is Janet Oldenburg, at the time he meet Janet at Evans Head for a coffee in October, 1999, Ric was still living in Unit 1. Janet's house settlement was complete shortly afterwards and off they went to England, allegedly armed with all of her identity documents and her suitcase with three locks on it. After being left stranded in the UK and coming home, a very detailed statement is taken from Janet by Coraki police in early January 2000.

Investigations commence including the suggestion by the NSW Police investigator that Ric Blum may intend "using her identification documents for illegal transactions or to assist him to enable another female to assume Ms. Oldenburg's identity". There is also talk of outstanding warrants from way back in the 1980s too.

Twelve days after the investigation commences into Janet's allegations, Ric changes his address to The George Hotel in George street, Sydney ... again, why move ?

In summary, what I am saying is that if Ric Blum had "nothing to do with Marion Barter after she left Australia in June 1997" why did he move house 11 days after Marion's money is gone from her bank, eight days since she missed her son Owen's birthday, 12 days after he opened up a safety deposit facility at the Commonwealth Bank in Ballina ?

Just like he did after ending the relationship with Ginette Gaffney-Bowan and just like he did after ending the relationship with Janet Oldenburg in the following three years ...

So the question I have, Ric Blum (as I know you read every word) ... why move ? what were you concerned about ? That your activities would catch up with you ? If you had nothing to with Marion after she left, why did you decide to move house again to a tiny flat ?

Patterns repeat. We are all creatures of habit after all. Joni

:)
Chickens are roosting!

Diane De Hedervary you know dont you.
All that money for all the moving, all the upheaval for the kids, not to mention Maites property that came along after Marions money was stolen. The "childrens inheritance " as AH put it.

He moved to the hotel to do the coin shuffle from his little side job of mail sorting.
And Diane knows nothing?

Come on. They all know something.

Property portfolio is huge for 2 people on Government handouts.

No wonder the family are not budging.
After all these women, and still no word at the station.
MBFB Page

We now have information that confirms that by the 26th of October, 1997, Ric Blum had moved from Wollongbar to East Ballina. It could have been much earlier too. From a 3-bedroom family home with a study and backyard that both Ric and Diane insisted they needed for accommodate their teenage children in Wollongbar to a pokey little villa unit, at the front of the block facing the road. This was 11 days after approximately $80,000 was withdrawn from Marion's bank account in Byron Bay, NSW, 20 minutes up the road from there ... Why move ?

The next house move is in early 1999. This move was from Unit 6, to Unit 1 in the same unit block. A nicer unit , yes , sea views, pathway to the beach and a little larger. This move happened exactly a week after Ginette Gaffney-Bowan was successful in her AVO against Ric Blum and a private investigator (that I have spoken with a number of times), was chasing Ric Blum for Ginette's $28,500. Ric could literally have seen the private investigator banging on Unit 6's door from his window ! ... why move ?

Next is Janet Oldenburg, at the time he meet Janet at Evans Head for a coffee in October, 1999, Ric was still living in Unit 1. Janet's house settlement was complete shortly afterwards and off they went to England, allegedly armed with all of her identity documents and her suitcase with three locks on it. After being left stranded in the UK and coming home, a very detailed statement is taken from Janet by Coraki police in early January 2000.

Investigations commence including the suggestion by the NSW Police investigator that Ric Blum may intend "using her identification documents for illegal transactions or to assist him to enable another female to assume Ms. Oldenburg's identity". There is also talk of outstanding warrants from way back in the 1980s too.

Twelve days after the investigation commences into Janet's allegations, Ric changes his address to The George Hotel in George street, Sydney ... again, why move ?

In summary, what I am saying is that if Ric Blum had "nothing to do with Marion Barter after she left Australia in June 1997" why did he move house 11 days after Marion's money is gone from her bank, eight days since she missed her son Owen's birthday, 12 days after he opened up a safety deposit facility at the Commonwealth Bank in Ballina ?

Just like he did after ending the relationship with Ginette Gaffney-Bowan and just like he did after ending the relationship with Janet Oldenburg in the following three years ...

So the question I have, Ric Blum (as I know you read every word) ... why move ? what were you concerned about ? That your activities would catch up with you ? If you had nothing to with Marion after she left, why did you decide to move house again to a tiny flat ?

Patterns repeat. We are all creatures of habit after all. Joni

:)
Chickens are roosting!

Diane De Hedervary you know dont you.
All that money for all the moving, all the upheaval for the kids, not to mention Maites property that came along after Marions money was stolen. The "childrens inheritance " as AH put it.

He moved to the hotel to do the coin shuffle from his little side job of mail sorting.
And Diane knows nothing?

Come on. They all know something.

Property portfolio is huge for 2 people on Government handouts.

No wonder the family are not budging.
After all these women, and still no word at the station.
So, seems like he moves when someone comes looking for him....If he was responsible for MB's death, then he wouldn't need to avoid her hiring an investigator or coming looking for him...EXCEPT, if alerted by bank on Oct 22, that Sally was looking for her mother. If bank had his contact info and reached out looking for Marion, that could be what spooked him into moving homes and the money from his safety box. Really trying to decide if the moving makes it more or less likely that he was responsible for her death.

This question (whether coupons were a thing) was covered in episode 40 of the podcast “The Money Trail” approximately 24:40 minutes onwards.

A good point. But don't you think RB would have covered those tracks in some way? A cash withdrawal or transfer to a different maybe joint account or an account to which he had access as a co-signer?
I am HOPING there is still a paper trail, as this $80,000 was described as "a transfer" not a cash withdrawal which I think for this amount would have had to have been a bank cheque. But a transfer would have an account number to where the money was going, which could be assigned to one of of the multitude of AKA's aliases and the account # would designate a city/country (Luxembourg, Bali, Belgium, Amsterdam, Lismore, Byron Bay, etc). It would also be pertinent if this transfer was into an account associated with the name of MB/FNMR, whether overseas or still in Australia. IMO, there should be some indication of where this money went. But where? (Sorry, but lots of shoulda, woulda, coulda!) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member