Australia - Melissa Hoskins, 32, Olympian cyclist, struck & killed by ute, husband Rohan Dennis arrested and charged - Medindie, SA, 30 Dec 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
On the day world champion cyclist Melissa Hoskins would have been celebrating her 33rd birthday, her family and friends were honouring her life in a memorial service in Adelaide.

"Today's memorial is being held on what would have been Mel's 33rd birthday," he said.
"We have constant reminders of Melissa in our lives and we reflect on her absence daily."
"Her cycling journey has taken Amanda, Jessica and I to places we might never had journeyed, adding yet another dimension to our memory collection.

Dennis attended the memorial with their two children but did not speak.

Dennis appeared in Adelaide Magistrates Court on March 13th. He reportedly remained silent throughout the proceedings.

The Magistrate approved a request from the prosecution for a 5 month adjournment to allow police time to complete a crash reconstruction.

Dennis remains on bail and has had his reporting requirements removed.

So, 6th August is Rohan's next court date.

He seems to have a good lawyer ... Barrister Jessica Kurtzer who was named as one of the six 'rising star' criminal lawyers in SA in 2021.

Dennis appeared in Adelaide Magistrates Court on March 13th. He reportedly remained silent throughout the proceedings.

The Magistrate approved a request from the prosecution for a 5 month adjournment to allow police time to complete a crash reconstruction.

Dennis remains on bail and has had his reporting requirements removed.
Thank you for keeping us up-to-date, Cliff.

Bumping as the next court date (August 6) is approaching.

In an article from March, it says that, "Court documents obtained by the ABC show police will allege Mr Dennis drove "recklessly or at a speed or in a manner which was dangerous to any person".

"And by that culpable negligence, recklessness or other conduct, caused the death of Melissa Marie Dennis," the document states."

I must admit I find it unusual that Dennis is out on bail, considering the charges.

Rohan Dennis, a former world champion cyclist, was arrested in January and charged with causing death by dangerous driving, driving without due care and endangering life.

Police allege Dennis recklessly struck the 32-year-old mother of two with his car in front of their home in Medindie in Adelaide’s inner north on December 30.”

I must admit I find it unusual that Dennis is out on bail, considering the charges.

Rohan Dennis, a former world champion cyclist, was arrested in January and charged with causing death by dangerous driving, driving without due care and endangering life.

Police allege Dennis recklessly struck the 32-year-old mother of two with his car in front of their home in Medindie in Adelaide’s inner north on December 30.”

"It's who you know, not what you know" imo

Eg:
Mr COWDREY (Member of Parliament for Colton): "Obviously, I may be slightly biased in my representation of his skills and ability given that he was my coach for a long time through my career, but it is not just Commonwealth Games medals, Paralympic Games gold medals and Olympic Games gold medals that he has contributed to the Australian sporting landscape through swimming. It might surprise a couple of people in this house to know that Rohan Dennis started as a swimmer—we used to drive each other to training, ...."

Last edited:
“It has been reported that Ms Hoskins somehow ended up on the bonnet of Dennis's Volkswagen Amarok V6 ute before suffering catastrophic injuries.”

Sorry for all the postings, but I have only just really read into the case.

‘Something happened’: New details emerge about Melissa Hoskins’ death​

The couple were due to attend a Christmas street party on the night of Hoskins’ death but were no shows, The Australian reported.

According to the publication, it was around 8pm under clear skies when Hoskins jumped onto the bonnet of the ute and tried to grab the door handle in an attempt to stop the vehicle.

Dennis allegedly continued to drive until his wife fell off the ute. She was allegedly dragged some way down the road, the publication reports.”

According to the publication, it was around 8pm under clear skies when Hoskins jumped onto the bonnet of the ute and tried to grab the door handle in an attempt to stop the vehicle.

This part has never made sense to me. Because who could reach the door handle from the bonnet? Pretty much no-one, is my guess. Especially with that side mirror in the way, and with the vehicle moving.

a.jpg

Yes that story of the hood to door handle grab doesn’t IMO seem to make sense.

If one found themselves on the hood / bonnet of a vehicle, typically about all you have to grab are the rear lip of the hood, windshield wipers, or an antenna stalk (depending on whether such existed on that vehicle up front). I imagine that authorities or investigators were able to tell whether or not the victim did wind up on the hood? And from what portion or surface(s) of the vehicle she was struck? And that vehicle shown, if the one in question, is somewhat high. Getting on that hood in a hurry might not be a simple feat IMO? Don’t recall the victim’s height.

Alternatively, if trying to stop a fleeing vehicle, one might try to grab the door handle (while standing or aside the vehicle) - and attempt to enter it. If that happened, maybe some injury to her hands, fingers, or wrist might be evident?

Not sure the exact case here….. just hope investigators IMO are on top of everything!

In the US there was a recent attempted carjacking of a young mother in Ohio when she returned to her running vehicle. Her young son was in the rear of the vehicle, when she quickly returned to the residence for a few last items. Anyway….. not thread hopping or to confuse, but in that case…. the three assailants (two 16 year old juveniles and one 19 year old) have since surrendered or been arrested. The 19 year old has been charged as an adult for murder. Juveniles are likely to be charged as adults for similar. The young mother was killed as she tried to obtain her son / thwart the effort. (If of interest, Alexa Stakely in Ohio. There is a thread.)

Might be some parallels in the cases? And sure hope this is properly assessed and prosecuted. So sad to lose the mothers of young children in both cases. MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back