GUILTY Australia - Morgan Huxley, 31, stabbed to death, Neutral Bay, NSW, 8 Sept 2013 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As Morgan Huxley took what would be his final steps, a figure walks 100 metres behind him. A man dressed in chequered pants and a long-sleeved black chef's jacket starts to quicken his pace.

When he reaches the Oaks Hotel on Military Road in Neutral Bay, he breaks into a jog. Then he runs. The ginger-haired man is carrying a satchel over his shoulder and catches up to Huxley, who is waiting at a set of traffic lights.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/morgan-hu...pped-sydney-20131011-2vcva.html#ixzz2hOn56g00

The above, running to catch up, reminds me so much of the way Jill Meagher's killer stalked her before killing her.

Could DJK have had the knife or even a fake gun at Morgan's back once he caught up to him or once they reached the unit??

Police believe he allowed his alleged killer inside.

I thought of Jill too, with the running. It's chilling to replay the CCTV of AB running after her in my head.

This is a plausible scenario. If he held a knife to Morgan's back he would have known - as a local - when he was out of range of the CCTV. He could have planned to make it look like a friendly conversation, knowing that Morgan would have recognised him as a neighbour. Banking on that, he might have walked along with him then pulled out a knife as they got closer to his home. Hoping to keep him placid and to prevent violence, Morgan would have gone along with everything he demanded and there would have been no evidence of a rape as such (don't want to get into graphic forensic detail) but there definitely would have been evidence of "sexual activity". I'm beginning to think more and more that Morgan was tied up in a BDSM thing and that's why he didn't fight back. And his adrenaline levels would have been through the roof.

Good point that the blood wouldn't be seen on his black jacket.

I'm not invested in any particular story - whether they hooked up on Grindr or whether DJK was stalking him, I'm just trying to fit what we know into a plausible story. I think I'm at about a 1% success rate so far, lol. I did find the NZ link a few days ago though so I don't totally suck as a sleuther ;)

http://www.forensicmed.co.uk/wounds/sharp-force-trauma/patterns-of-sharp-force-trauma/

Most homicidal stab wounds are single wounds, and the areas of the body most commonly targeted are the chest, heart and neck.

Where the throat is targeted during an assault, the wounds produced tend to be deeper, and more haphazardly placed. They are produced following a sweeping movement of the knife, and are not associated with tentative or hesitation marks. There are sometimes termination scratch-like abrasions where the knifepoint has been drawn over the skin surface on withdrawal.

The targets of injury are unprotected areas of the body, and the chest is an obvious target due to its closeness to the attacker, and the knowledge that it contains many vital organs.

The majority of people are right handed, and the majority of assaults are frontal. Wounds received during an assault tend to be clustered on the left side of the body, particularly the chest.

Karlsson (1998) identified homicidal stab wounds being clustered around the head, upper extremities and chest, but found that wounds in the crook of the arm and the lower extremity, as well as the abdomen were more likely to be found in cases of homicide than suicide. He also found that clothing was more likely to be damaged in homicide victims (79%) as opposed to suicides (5%).

Where a knife slash impacts the body it may ‘skip’ along the surface as it passes over natural contours or bony ridges, and result in a discontinuous line of injury. If one looks at the pattern as a whole, the nature of the single slash wound can be appreciated.

Green (1978) indicated in his research into stab wounds that although it could be argued that a single wound was accidental, the action of removing a knife from a body required considerable effort, and therefore a victim with more than 1 wound could be argued to represent a situation where the assailant was more intent on doing serious harm, thus helping to negate a defence of accident.

This is an interesting article - will be handy if and when we get access to the autopsy.

Just a point about the stab wounds - which we have discussed some time back on the previous thread.

I did point out that those on the back and side may be shallow due to the fact that the knife had a very short blade (think Exacto knife, or even Stanley knife - box cutter for our American friends).

But the same short-bladed knife could do some nasty damage on the neck - the internal jugular vein is very superficial - it's right there, just under the skin and a very thin bit of muscle. As I pointed out earlier - it is so easily accessible, that's why we use it for venous access during anaesthesia, or in ICU, for example. And a part stab/part slash would do even more damage.

It is unusual - although certainly not improbable - for the carotid artery to be injured in direct stabbing - it tends to be much more "rubbery" due to a much thicker wall than the jugular vein, and also has the ability to "bounce" away from a penetrating wound. I've seen a patient with a chainsaw injury to the side of the neck (kickback of the saw in a professional tree-lopper) which divided almost everything on one side of the neck - EXCEPT the carotid, which was uninjured.

To cause significant injury to the carotid, there would need to be a sideways slashing component to the wound. And if there had been (I don't have access to the autopsy report - yet) then I would have expected death to be far more rapid. But poor Morgan was still alive from the time of the attack (estimated to be between 02:30 and 02:50) until the paramedics got there, when resuscitation attempts were unsuccessful.

So - and of course this is only speculation - I suspect he had major VENOUS bleeding, most likely from the internal jugular vein. And this could easily have been caused by a short-bladed knife.

So I don't draw any conclusions that the "shallow" wounds to the back and side were due to lesser force or poor stabbing technique - I would think that ALL the stab wounds would have been delivered with similar force. But the 2 or 3 to the side of the neck did the damage.

So - think length of blade, rather than force of delivery.

Would Morgan's tshirt have made any difference to the effect of the stabs? Presumably his neck would have been exposed, and his back would not have been - unless he was in the process of removing his shirt.

Just thinking that the tshirt may have made stabs to his back/side 'slide' a bit and become more of a slash in some instances.

I agree about the Stanley knife. Something that Morgan may easily have had laying in his room, too, considering his occupation ... and just being a guy.

Hi All,

I have also been lurking in the background and have decided to weigh into the conversation.

I guess I have a personal interest in this story and the reason it struck a chord with me was because when I first read this story, alarm bells rang and my first thought was 'Grindr' hookup gone wrong.

The reason for the alarm bells - and the more than typical amount of interest in this story I guess is based on the fact that I live only 10 mins away from where this all took place and have used Grindr quite often in the past. The scenario of this type of thing happening always in the back of my mind - and could so easily occur. When you really think about it - you are inviting strangers into your home or vice versa and putting yourself into - lets be blunt - quite a vulnerable situation.

Anyway - I thought I would add a few comments as food for thought.

Firstly, I would't be so quick to dismiss DJK as unattractive to MH and therefore no possibility of consensual sexual activity taking place. You'd be surprised at the amount of married men, men in relationships with women and men that would quite often sleep with woman - that are on Grindr. Secondly, quite often, masculine men in these situations will go for more effeminate guys.

The scenario leading up to DJK meeting up with MH also has the hallmarks of a Grindr hookup. MH buys some time whilst waiting for DJK by having a beer and then leaves the pub after thinking DJK will be a no show. Once MH Leaves the pub, he decides to give DJK some more time to arrive - hence the pacing at the crust store - and then finally walks off. DJK then notices him, takes time to identify that it is MH and then runs up to him and strikes up a conversation at which point they head to MH's place.

From here - I am totally lost for how things could have gone so wrong.

I will stop rambling now. And while I have painted a certain picture above - I in no way believe that it has to be true or must be the case. It's just one option in amongst countless others that are swirling around in my mind. And if it is in fact along those lines, there is no way MH should be vilified. Sexual confusion and how people deal with it is their business and the people directly involved only. Not others. But typically straight guys sleeping with guys every now and then certainly out there.

Cheers.

Welcome :greetings:

I certainly agree with you that people who seem so outwardly different can find each other attractive, whether that's for one night or a long-term relationship.

The main reason I'm not ready to accept the hook-up theory is that police comments about DJK approaching MH make it sound like a chance encounter. Am I the only one who reads it that way? I do think MH was planning to meet someone though, just not sure if it was DJK.

Thanks for your post sydsleuth and welcome! Great to have some more local perspective.

:welcome6:

Can you tell us ... clothes on or clothes off for casual Grindr hookups? Or a bit of both perhaps?

And what about bare feet?

Thanks for your perspective, sydsleuth. Can you answer a question for me? Obviously I had no idea that Grindr even existed until a couple of days ago and I don't want to put it on my phone to answer the question.

If police have Morgan's phone can they view past activity on it? Or does it expire after a few hours? Is it just an app icon that you click on, like messages and photos?

Thanks for your post sydsleuth and welcome! Great to have some more local perspective.

:welcome6:

Can you tell us ... clothes on or clothes off for casual Grindr hookups? Or a bit of both perhaps? Asking due to Morgan's shirt being on, and wondering if DJK also had to re-dress. Although, he could have been asked to leave, got dressed angrily, grabbed a weapon, and attacked .. so maybe the question is a moot one. :waitasec:

In fact, don't answer, it really doesn't matter. I guess it is just personal preference if they were in Morgan's home ... not like they were in a car or public place. :doh:
I found out my dad was gay because I was his system administrator. No face. Genitals only. Very different from a hetero dating site.

Would Morgan's tshirt have made any difference to the effect of the stabs? Presumably his neck would have been exposed, and his back would not have been - unless he was in the process of removing his shirt.

Just thinking that the tshirt may have made stabs to his back/side 'slide' a bit and become more of a slash in some instances.

I agree about the Stanley knife. Something that Morgan may easily have had laying in his room, too, considering his occupation ... and just being a guy.

Now THAT is a very interesting question. Sheesh - I wish I had access to the forensic and autopsy report! We don't know if Morgan's T-shirt was punctured or lacerated in the attack, or had it been pulled up, or was it put on afterwards?

If the weapon was something like a Stanley knife or Exacto modeling knife, I doubt that the T-shirt would have provided much resistance. There may have been fibres in the wounds if the T-shirt was on at the time of the attack. But I doubt that it would have shortened the length/depth of the stab wounds. People get stabbed through shirts etc all the time - and a knife can still be buried up to the hilt. That's why police, paramedics, etc wear stab vests at virtually every crime scene.

I have a niece who is a Forensic Crime Scene Examiner for the Metropolitan Police in London, and she has to wear the stab vest for every single call-out.

But yes indeed - it would be very interesting to find out if the stab wounds went through the T-shirt or not. If not - then we have to assume that the shirt was either pulled right up, or else put on after the attack.

And I have to stress again that the theory of a short-bladed knife is just that - theory. It is pure speculation by me, lacking any further information.

Once I/we get access to the autopsy report, then a lot more may make sense, including how Morgan was rendered incapable of defending himself.

And then imagine the hurt when this friendly, fun, good-looking guy rejects you? It's like those movies where the loner is accepted by the cool kids at school only to find out it's a joke. Not that I think Morgan did reject him, but to someone like DJK, it could have felt that way.

Mrs G - I also don't think DJK is necessarily a sociopath. Borderline? Quite possibly. Even some schizotypal traits if the depiction of him is accurate (big IF there).

I was wondering if there was some alcohol or maybe a bong at Morgan's, maybe DJK was inexperienced and lost his inhibitions or became paranoid?

Could also be some attachment stuff going on - particularly if he was feeling rejected either before or after the night Morgan was killed. Sometimes people don't fit a specific disorder label, but may have traits of a combination of disorders. Not enough info at this stage to know.

Welcome :greetings:

I certainly agree with you that people who seem so outwardly different can find each other attractive, whether that's for one night or a long-term relationship.

The main reason I'm not ready to accept the hook-up theory is that police comments about DJK approaching MH make it sound like a chance encounter. Am I the only one who reads it that way? I do think MH was planning to meet someone though, just not sure if it was DJK.

I don't read it as a chance encounter Brightbird. Sounds to me like Morgan was waiting at the pub, sitting alone, having more beers - left at closing time, waited around for his casual meet-up, saw DJK approaching and walked off in the direction of home, intending DJK to follow, which he did.

I get the impression that is the way casual hook-ups happen. No walking off together in public - not in front of the pub.

As BoxHead (or maybe it was AJM86?) said before, it is not an obvious thing when they meet. There is a code of behaviour which is known and understood, and it doesn't involve being together in public, or even acknowledging they know each other in public.

I don't read it as a chance encounter Brightbird. Sounds to me like Morgan was waiting at the pub, sitting alone, having more beers - left at closing time, waited around for his casual meet-up, saw DJK approaching and walked off in the direction of home, intending DJK to follow, which he did.

I get the impression that is the way casual hook-ups happen. No walking off together in public - not in front of the pub.

As BoxHead said before, it is not an obvious thing when they meet. There is a code of behaviour which is known and understood, and it doesn't involve being together in public, or even acknowledging they know each other in public.
^ But.. but.. why go through all this BS, when people have mobile phones?

If he was taking him home anyway, M could've just given DKJ his address, eh.

I don't think this was a hook up at all.

Yeah .. don't know Ausgirl. Maybe BoxHead or sydsleuth could explain? All I know is it just seems to be the way it is done.

Maybe they didn't want anything on their phones that others could see or connect with the activity? Maybe Morgan needed to make sure his flatmate was asleep and the coast was clear?

It seems to be quite secretive, maybe to avoid any prejudices affecting their day-to-day lives?

:dunno:

^ But.. but.. why go through all this BS, when people have mobile phones?
He had his macho hetero image to preserve. Mobile phones are not anonymous. Internet cafes are if used correctly.

If he was taking him home anyway, M could've just given DKJ his address, eh.

I don't think this was a hook up at all.
Would you give someone you had never met your address if you had approached them directly for sex via the web?

SA: .. orrrr.. maybe it wasn't a hook up gay sex thing. ;)

Box: Yeah.. no. If they'd seen each other around as locals, M would know who DJK was. Or if he didn't, why meet up 50 meters from his home?

It isn't computing, my boxy friend.

:couch:

Yeah .. don't know Ausgirl. Maybe BoxHead or sydsleuth could explain? All I know is it just seems to be the way it is done.

Maybe they didn't want anything on their phones that others could see or connect with the activity? Maybe Morgan needed to make sure his flatmate was asleep and the coast was clear?

It seems to be quite secretive, maybe to avoid any prejudices affecting their day-to-day lives?

:dunno:

It's quite common to meet first in public. Usually this would be to make sure the person you saw photos of etc on the app is representative of the person that you are meeting in person.

Grindr allows your to clear the conversation or even delete the app all together and install it again when the mood dictates.

Police probe possible links between fantasy and murder of ladies man Morgan Huxley

October 12, 2013

POLICE are investigating links between a popular fantasy novel in which the protagonist stabs a man in the throat and the murder of Morgan Huxley

Police yesterday confirmed they were examining the plot of one of Feist's most recent books, Jimmy and The Crawler, published in February this year, because of similarities between the storyline and the way Huxley, 31, was killed.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...an-morgan-huxley/story-fni0cx12-1226738606127

The reason I had heard of Grindr was a good friend uses it, sometimes for very quick one off hook ups, sometimes to meet someone who becomes a regular, sometimes for just sharing pics and chatting .. If he meets a random for a hookup sometimes he checks him out first and takes a moment, other times he just disappears or lets the other guy check him out. I agree Morgan standing out in the open then DJK running up to him does sound like a hook up. Glad people are joining up who can talk about this first hand.

:wagon: sydsleuth!!!

Police probe possible links between fantasy and murder of ladies man Morgan Huxley

October 12, 2013

POLICE are investigating links between a popular fantasy novel in which the protagonist stabs a man in the throat and the murder of Morgan Huxley

Police yesterday confirmed they were examining the plot of one of Feist's most recent books, Jimmy and The Crawler, published in February this year, because of similarities between the storyline and the way Huxley, 31, was killed.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...an-morgan-huxley/story-fni0cx12-1226738606127

Just when you thought it couldn't get stranger ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Egladva