Australia Australia - Mr Cruel, serial child rapist, active 1987-1990, Melbourne, Vic. Unsolved

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think it might be a situation like Joseph DeAngelo. He quit in the mid to late eighties, most probably primarily because of the pioneering breakthrough of DNA starting to be used to solve crimes. This offender seems similarly forensically aware. The way he forced his victims to clean themselves and brush their teeth. He understood trace evidence that could be left in and on the body, and how to remove it. He also had Joseph DeAngelo's lack of hesitation to kill if he could be identified, if the theory about why he killed Karmein is accurate. DeAngelo killed several times before it became a consistent part of his MO, each time because someone confronted him or stumbled across him. Claude Snelling, and Brian and Katie Maggiore. Detective William McGowen only survived because the shot DeAngelo fired at him hit his flashlight, not his head, a difference of a couple of inches.

MOO
Although I am new to this forum have had a great interest in this topic for a long time.

I agree with you that this person was Like Joseph DeAngelo. De Angelo was a police officer whose primary motivation was to show that he was 'superior' to his police colleagues. He primarily was not a sex offender. The spectrum task force in Victoria approached this case from a 'sex offender' perspective and failed to identify any convincing assailants. I actually think this is a 'police officer' with similar motivation as DeAngelo.

What alerted me to this was his use of language during the Nicola Lynas abduction as well as behaviour during the abductions. He uses the term 'Police Surgeon' which is a term not in common usage in the general population in Australia nor something a criminal would say. A police officer however uses that sort language. Other than his tactical and forensic ability, he seemed to get most joy out of watching the media coverage of the case while in the presence of the victims.

As psychopaths often get involve in a continuing way, I looked at Police officers who had continued to involve themselves in the case despite not actually being involved in the investigation. The idea is that they would continue to receive gratification out of their misleading behaviour and making their colleagues look like idiots. I found one. Here is what I know.

He claims to have given evidence as the identity of the perpetrator to the investigation which is likely untrue.
He talks authoritatively on the Spectrum task force investigation but a close examination of his work history reveals that he left the Victorian police soon after the Nicola Lynas abduction and returned to the police once Spectrum Task force was shut down. He was never a member of the Spectrum task force.
There is an extremely good chance he would end up on the task force and would have been exposed to the victims and therefore identification by his voice. I surmised that this was a possible reason he left the police force.
There are other red flags that suggest he is psychopath and that he possibly lies to gain convictions.
There is also a possibility that he has used his position to destroy evidence in other cases.

In summary none of this is evidence or proof he was involved. It is best a theory based on my observations.

From my perspective, he requires closer scrutiny from an investigative sense and that's all. I can't reveal his name but have given readers this information so they can untangle the jigsaw if they wish. I have tried to contact investigators but unfortunately have received no replies. I really don't know where to go with this.

Recently the Hunters program revealed that there was DNA evidence in the Mr Cruel case. They interviewed a police officer whom remained de-identified who made the claim on the program. The investigators who were really on the Spectrum taskforce looked really surprised by this information. The thought crossed my mind that the secret police informant was the same officer that I had identified above. I approached the journalist confidentially but have yet to receive a response.

I hope this spurs the discussion.

Looks interesting, from link..
''The Hunters is the first TV program to uncover DNA evidence that proves there were at least two offenders in the Mr Cruel cases.

As well as an interview with one of the victims, it also features former police investigators speaking publicly, some who are prepared to back up the multiple offender theory.''
''The Hunters: Mr Cruel premieres 7.30pm Monday on Channel 7 and 7plus''
I will note that the reactions of the two confirmed investigators in that programme was one of complete surprise to the DNA revelation. Look at my response on this forum on DeAngelo parallels to see my concern.

In terms of the multiple offender theory, I agree that Karmein Chan's abduction and murder has never really fitted the two abductions of Sharon Wills and Nicola Lynas. This is the first media programme to make the observation for something that has been likely for a very long time. I still think those two abductions are linked.

Although I am new to this forum have had a great interest in this topic for a long time.

I agree with you that this person was Like Joseph DeAngelo. De Angelo was a police officer whose primary motivation was to show that he was 'superior' to his police colleagues. He primarily was not a sex offender. The spectrum task force in Victoria approached this case from a 'sex offender' perspective and failed to identify any convincing assailants. I actually think this is a 'police officer' with similar motivation as DeAngelo.

What alerted me to this was his use of language during the Nicola Lynas abduction as well as behaviour during the abductions. He uses the term 'Police Surgeon' which is a term not in common usage in the general population in Australia nor something a criminal would say. A police officer however uses that sort language. Other than his tactical and forensic ability, he seemed to get most joy out of watching the media coverage of the case while in the presence of the victims.

As psychopaths often get involve in a continuing way, I looked at Police officers who had continued to involve themselves in the case despite not actually being involved in the investigation. The idea is that they would continue to receive gratification out of their misleading behaviour and making their colleagues look like idiots. I found one. Here is what I know.

He claims to have given evidence as the identity of the perpetrator to the investigation which is likely untrue.
He talks authoritatively on the Spectrum task force investigation but a close examination of his work history reveals that he left the Victorian police soon after the Nicola Lynas abduction and returned to the police once Spectrum Task force was shut down. He was never a member of the Spectrum task force.
There is an extremely good chance he would end up on the task force and would have been exposed to the victims and therefore identification by his voice. I surmised that this was a possible reason he left the police force.
There are other red flags that suggest he is psychopath and that he possibly lies to gain convictions.
There is also a possibility that he has used his position to destroy evidence in other cases.

In summary none of this is evidence or proof he was involved. It is best a theory based on my observations.

From my perspective, he requires closer scrutiny from an investigative sense and that's all. I can't reveal his name but have given readers this information so they can untangle the jigsaw if they wish. I have tried to contact investigators but unfortunately have received no replies. I really don't know where to go with this.

Recently the Hunters program revealed that there was DNA evidence in the Mr Cruel case. They interviewed a police officer whom remained de-identified who made the claim on the program. The investigators who were really on the Spectrum taskforce looked really surprised by this information. The thought crossed my mind that the secret police informant was the same officer that I had identified above. I approached the journalist confidentially but have yet to receive a response.

I hope this spurs the discussion.
Have you ever looked into Beast of Jersey?

He was almost a carbon copy of Mr. Cruel's tactics.

Left red herrings such as cigarette butts (and did not smoke), not killing in MO as much, targeted children.

I've posted about it in depth before about their many comparisons and wonder if Mr. Cruel heard about Beast of Jersey somewhere along the line before he started his crimes. Beast was in prison when these crimes started but I have wondered if Mr. Cruel heard of him or read about him.

They are the only two cases that have such similarities in the way they operated (red herring fakes, children, not killing as much, masks)

Looks interesting, from link..
''The Hunters is the first TV program to uncover DNA evidence that proves there were at least two offenders in the Mr Cruel cases.

As well as an interview with one of the victims, it also features former police investigators speaking publicly, some who are prepared to back up the multiple offender theory.''
''The Hunters: Mr Cruel premieres 7.30pm Monday on Channel 7 and 7plus''

No I have not but will have a look.

No I think the 'beast of Jersey looks to be primarily a deviant sex offender. I think Mr Cruel is like Deangelo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
australianwebsleuth
Back