GUILTY Australia - Newborn found in drain, Sydney, 23 Nov 2014

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
''Saifale Nai, did not appear in court to answer the attempted murder charge. Her lawyer did not enter a plea and the magistrate formally refused her bail.

Nai will remain in custody until her next court appearance on Friday. She would face a potential maximum sentence of 25 years in prison if convicted.''

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/austra...ter-baby-left-5-days-in-storm-drain-1.2846669

From the above link:
"Possibility of long-term damage

Andrew Pesce, a gynecologist, obstetrician and former president of the Australian Medical Association, said such an ordeal could leave a newborn with long-term problems such as brain damage.

"There would still have to be some concerns about the baby," Pesce said.

"I would have thought that it wouldn't have been able to survive for much longer if it didn't start getting fed," he added."

Thanks for that newone. I am gobsmacked that our society has come to this.
I couldn't contemplate walking away from my baby and leaving it alone when everyday mothers watch over over their babies like they are the most precious thing on earth.

yes, I hear you!

There is a long legacy of this being an option for babies.

The difficult topic was broached in the television series M.A.S.H.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0638479/

There was a M.A.S.H. episode where the staff took an abandoned baby to an orphanage with a ''hatch'' door - they put the baby in the door and rang the bell. It is impossible to watch that episode without feeling waves of roller coaster emotions.

In the US there are 'safe haven' laws where babies may be relinquished as well-again no repercussions.

here's a link to the Angel's Cradle at St Pauls Hospital Vancouver BC -- there is some useful information there on how/why it works ((mom can leave medical information for example that may help drs ))

http://www.providencehealthcare.org/health-services/additional-services/angels-cradle

From the above link:
"Possibility of long-term damage

Andrew Pesce, a gynecologist, obstetrician and former president of the Australian Medical Association, said such an ordeal could leave a newborn with long-term problems such as brain damage.

"There would still have to be some concerns about the baby," Pesce said.

"I would have thought that it wouldn't have been able to survive for much longer if it didn't start getting fed," he added."

In earlier reports there was also a mention of brain bleed ..... I do hope this little guy will be ok....

Call to Change Laws

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/austra...ter-baby-left-5-days-in-storm-drain-1.2846669

''Helen Polley, a senator in the opposition Labor Party, said the near-tragedy could have been avoided if emergency hatches were rolled out at Australian hospitals, police and fire stations where babies could be safely abandoned.

She called for the repeal of laws that make child abandonment a criminal offence, which she said encourage the problem to be hidden."

Maybe this case will have some positive outcomes.

I sincerely hope these emergency hatches happen soon and mothers are not charged for choosing this option. :please:

Every baby deserves to live, be loved and nurtured to adulthood, if a birth mother isn't capable for whatever reason, she needs to know her baby is a separate entity from herself, and has a right to life.

Two Edmonton hospitals get angel cradles in an attempt to prevent infanticide

A brand new safe haven for newborns hopes to prevent harm to unwanted babies by offering desperate mothers a safe place to abandon them.

“A child’s healthy physical, emotional, psychological and spiritual development requires that they are unconditionally loved and known, but the reality is that unsafe abandonment still occurs in western society,” says Gordon Self, vice president of mission, ethics and spirituality at the Grey Nuns Community Hospital.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/05/...-cradles-in-an-attempt-to-prevent-infanticide

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 115
I sincerely hope these emergency hatches happen soon and mothers are not charged for choosing this option. :please:

Every baby deserves to live, be loved and nurtured to adulthood, if a birth mother isn't capable for whatever reason, she needs to know her baby is a separate entity from herself, and has a right to life.

yes..... Tough as it would be for a mom to walk away and relinquish her baby it may be the kindest option in some cases if the mom does not have a stable life or is facing huge personal obstacles.

Two Edmonton hospitals get angel cradles in an attempt to prevent infanticide

A brand new safe haven for newborns hopes to prevent harm to unwanted babies by offering desperate mothers a safe place to abandon them.

“A child’s healthy physical, emotional, psychological and spiritual development requires that they are unconditionally loved and known, but the reality is that unsafe abandonment still occurs in western society,” says Gordon Self, vice president of mission, ethics and spirituality at the Grey Nuns Community Hospital.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/05/...-cradles-in-an-attempt-to-prevent-infanticide

from your link:

"Although cases are rare, incidents where women have denied their pregnancy, sometimes caused by social-cultural pressures or mental health issues, can have catastrophic effects on the well-being of a child after birth"

bbm: this is exactly what happened recently from the Sydney incident isn't it!

Does anyone else find their eyes leaking water when they read of the Edmonton hospital Angel Cradle?? I think the hospital staff demonstrate amazing sensitivity and it gives me hope that this is a most positive step towards healthier futures for all children.

1. the door locks within 15 seconds after being closed
2. the alarm sounds in the ER 60 seconds after door is opened.
3. staff do not approach while mom is still there

The teddy bear, in the picture, is for the mom to take so that she doesn't leave with empty arms ((that's where I lost it!!--8 tissues)) and there is a card with support information for the mom as well.

And this is why I raised my child to literally have no shame. She has a conscience ofc, but there's nothing she can do that she cannot come and tell me about. I taught her that -even if she knows it'll make me angry - she should come to me with her problems or concerns, or for advice, or just to talk. Because people can express anger and disappointment, if you do something they don't approve of, but her mum will always love her 100% no matter what. There's nothing we cannot work through, together (once I calm down).

So far, it's paid off. I'm finding her a teenager who is very self-regulating and open about things. Sometimes TOO open. Omg, there's things a parent simply does NOT want to hear about.. Bless her. But yeah, I often see in cases where girls (usually younger than this!) have done this same thing, and there's *always* a hyper judgemental parent in the mix.

That's why I was kind of "Oh I see.." when the whole minister thing came up. Of course, I'm just assuming. But I have to wonder what home life she had, to make her act in such an unthinking, unfeeling, selfish way. It's all about self-preservation, and that comes from a perception of devastating shame and rejection. Very often, anyway.

Couldn't agree more. I encouraged my children from an early age to tell me anything they felt necessary even if they thought I would feel disappointed. Mind you some times I have wanted to put my hands over my ears and hope that I am not hearing what I am hearing especially when they were in their late teens about sex etc, etc…and to their credit they felt comfortable about asking questions - I felt that this was they key to a healthy relationship. They even you used to say to their peers "come on over to mums she will sort it out for you, mums great to talk to" - stupid as it may sounds, it felt like a badge of honour.

When my mother had me she suffered from post partum psychosis and placed in an institution for 6 months. When mum returned home she had no idea she even had a baby.

It's devastating to think that this young women had no choice than to resort to something as hideous at this. Unfortunately I could never ever talk to my parents about the smallest matter, so it's great to be able to turn the tables and grant them a safe healthy environment in which to feel free and express themselves.

Does anyone else find their eyes leaking water when they read of the Edmonton hospital Angel Cradle?? I think the hospital staff demonstrate amazing sensitivity and it gives me hope that this is a most positive step towards healthier futures for all children.

1. the door locks within 15 seconds after being closed
2. the alarm sounds in the ER 60 seconds after door is opened.
3. staff do not approach while mom is still there

The teddy bear, in the picture, is for the mom to take so that she doesn't leave with empty arms ((that's where I lost it!!--8 tissues)) and there is a card with support information for the mom as well.
It makes my heart ache.

Thanks for that newone. I am gobsmacked that our society has come to this.
I couldn't contemplate walking away from my baby and leaving it alone when everyday mothers watch over over their babies like they are the most precious thing on earth.

It's incredibly sad this happens in all countries around the world.

The woman in this case obviously ended up at hospital to have the baby, why wasn't she given some form of option to have the baby adopted because of her circumstances.

I think there needs to be education or information passed onto women long before their babies are born so that we have no need for these safe havens.

I guess my question is, why put these poor little babies through such a horrific ordeal when the doors of communication can be opened and these bubs can be so easily placed for adoption.

Right onnnn, Marly. 100% agree.

Here's a story from my time in hospital with my DD whcich might help explain why this doesn't happen in Aus...

This odd women kept wanting to hold my newborn. She hovered around the babies and thier mothers - it was frankly creepy. But she didn't have a baby of her own, and being a nosy parker I asked -- her baby was *stillborn* and yet they kept her in the fricken *maternity* wing so she could hear the new babies crying...she had not slept in days. Her husband came around to everyone in our ward to explain, and invited me to the chapel service for their son.... Omfg, my heart broke but I had my own baby to care for, so I politely declined -- and marched up to the nursing desk to give them all the *biggest* serve.. I would not shut the hell up until this poor woman was looked after properly. I shouted at people! The mother was STILL in the maternity ward 24 hrs later and 'wreck' doesn't begin to describe her. Every living baby crying, a sword in her heart. But thanks to me and half a dozen other outraged new mothers yelling their heads off, the bereaved mother got the help she needed. Finally!

This was just 16 years ago, hardly the dark ages. I hope things are better now... but with this 'chuck em out' policy in place, I highly doubt it..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ies-five-year-old-son-living-New-Zealand.html

Revealed: The young Samoan woman who dumped her baby in a drain is a loving auntie who adores babies - and 'has a five-year-old son living in New Zealand'

Postings on social media in the days after she dumped her son, but before the baby was found and alleged crime was detected, show her posing and looking pretty in a dress but also experiencing post-natal tiredness.

Have been unable to find anything about the court appearance that was to have happened Friday.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/25634203/drain-baby-mothers-case-due-in-court/

A woman accused of attempted murder following the discovery of a newborn boy in a drain in Sydney's west is likely to apply for bail next month.

The 30-year-old did not appear at a brief hearing at Penrith Local Court on Friday and her lawyer indicated she might apply for bail when the matter was next heard on December 12.

This is from yesterday:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-28/mother-of-baby-left-in-drain-remains-in-jail/5924464

The mother of the newborn baby found dumped in a storm water drain in western Sydney will stay behind bars for at least another two weeks.

The matter was mentioned in court today but the mother, who can not be named for legal reasons, was not required to appear.

From your link I noticed that the baby was released from hospital Friday as well -- so that's encouraging news!

In your yahoo link I noticed that baby has been released to community care authorities ((whew!!))
Thanks for the update!

A woman accused of attempted murder after a newborn was found in a drain in Sydney's west is due in court again next month.
Source: AAP
28 NOV 2014 - 10:41 AM UPDATED YESTERDAY 2:54 PM

A woman accused of attempted murder following the discovery of a newborn boy in a drain in Sydney's west is likely to apply for bail next month.

The 30-year-old did not appear at a brief hearing at Penrith Local Court on Friday and her lawyer indicated she might apply for bail when the matter was next heard on December 12.

The boy was originally estimated to be two to three days old when found last Sunday, but court has heard that he was born in the early hours of November 18 before being placed into the drain.

If the allegation is true, it means he survived in the Quakers Hill drain for up to five days before being found by a passing cyclist.

Police suspect the baby was squeezed through the drain's narrow opening and dropped about 2.4 metres. Several people worked together to lift the heavy slab covering the drain to get him out.

The woman has admitted to putting the infant down the drain, knowing it may kill him, police say.

The baby is in the care of NSW Family and Community Services.

It will be up to the state agency to assess what happens to him.

The baby was taken to Westmead Children's Hospital in a serious condition after being rescued, but was discharged on Friday, a spokeswoman confirmed.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/11/28/woman-baby-drain-case-seek-bail

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!
Back