Australia Australia - Paddy Moriarty, 70, & his dog Kellie, Larrimah, NT, 16 Dec 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I was hoping that all the talk about using DNA and other forensic methods on testing the many remains already found, might have some of these people identified.
But unlike in the US, nothing much appears to be happening.

It's very disappointing.

I thought they were doing that at least at the new Lidcombe Forensics Centre (after glebe closed)? Although only NSW old remains.

I'm waiting to hear of any results of any of the cases they're working on.
There have been hardly any that we hear about.

Seems to me that in the US, compared to us they are "speeding" through their unidentified remains.

I thought they were doing that at least at the new Lidcombe Forensics Centre (after glebe closed)? Although only NSW old remains.

Larrimah's lost larrikin - Paddy Moriarty

20 Minute Audio

When Paddy Moriarty went missing before Christmas in 2017, there were only 12 people living in the town of Larrimah in the Northern Territory. His disappearance brought the many divisions in the Larrimah community to the surface and threatened the town's very existence. Now three years on - what has become of Larrimah?

Guests: Caroline Graham and Kylie Stevenson, authors of Larrimah: a missing man, an eyeless croc and an outback town of 12 (11)people who mostly hate each other. published by Allen and Unwin

A blind croc, a missing man and his dog

48 Minute Audio, ABC Conversations

In 2016, journalist Kylie Stevenson went on a writers' retreat to a tiny outback town called Larrimah in the Northern Territory.

She met a local larrikin, one of the town's 12 residents, named Paddy Moriarty.

A year later, Paddy disappeared from the town in suspicious circumstances, and police believe he was killed.

The story was reported all over the world.

Kylie and her friend Caroline Graham returned to Larrimah, and got to know the feuding locals in an attempt to find out who Paddy really was, and what might have happened to him.

Open spaces and long-lasting feuds in Larrimah

This book, by two Darwin-based journalists, is a comprehensive account of the Moriarty mystery. It revisits all elements of the story, interviewing almost all of the residents of Larrimah and examining every possibility, including the opinion of one of Paddy's former friends that he is still alive. The writers also give full coverage to the inquest into his disappearance, an inquest that is still open.

Open spaces and long-lasting feuds in Larrimah

This book, by two Darwin-based journalists, is a comprehensive account of the Moriarty mystery. It revisits all elements of the story, interviewing almost all of the residents of Larrimah and examining every possibility, including the opinion of one of Paddy's former friends that he is still alive. The writers also give full coverage to the inquest into his disappearance, an inquest that is still open.

the book is good! I recommend it. Might not give much new info if you've followed from the start (I had not), but it is very evocative and atmospheric and really puts you 'in' Larrimah.

Paddy Moriarty case to be aired in Katherine as inquest reopens

Questions that remain around the disappearance and suspected murder of Larrimah local Paddy Moriarty will be aired when his coronial inquest recommences in Katherine this week.

The ten or so residents of Larrimah, located around 180km south of Katherine, at the time of Mr Moriarty's disappearance are expected to be among those called to give evidence at the inquest which is set to restart on Wednesday.

Inquest witness connects Paddy Moriarty's disappearance to Falconio murder

Mr Pangquee told the court he met Mr Simpson through work in 2018 and over the course of a number of evenings drinking, Mr Simpson told him he was with another man when Mr Moriarty and his dog were shot and killed, then the pair had a drink over the bodies and buried them.

Mr Pangquee claimed Mr Simpson said: “The dog is on top of Paddy. You’ll find the dog first.”

Police found evidence that Mr Pangquee and Mr Simpson had not been in the same place at the time he claimed the conversation took place.

Coroner Greg Cavanagh wrote in his formal findings delivered on Thursday that while legislation prevented him from concluding any particular person may have committed an offence, he would refer the case to the Director of Public Prosecutions.

A coroner has found retired ringer and missing Larrimah resident Patrick “Paddy” Moriarty was “killed in the context of and likely due to” a longstanding feud with his neighbours, including “pie lady” Fran Hodgetts and gardener Owen Laurie,

The finding comes the day after Katherine Local Court was played chilling covert police recordings of Mr Laurie allegedly muttering to himself that he “killerated old Paddy … struck him on the head” while strumming a guitar, singing and reprimanding his dog.

Patrick ‘Paddy’ Moriarty ‘killed over feud with neighbours’: coroner (theaustralian.com.au)

Coroners Findings are here: PARTIES: ––––– (nt.gov.au)

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper