Australia Australia - Paddy Moriarty, 70, & his dog Kellie, Larrimah, NT, 16 Dec 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Odd if he were adopted in Ireland he would be using his birth name and birth certificate or indeed would have known his birth mothers name, children given up for adoption in Ireland are given new names and an adoption certificate in place of a birth certificate. Adoption certificates do not refer to birth mothers or father's at all. Adoption was and still is shrouded in secrecy in Ireland. Police should exercise caution here, lots of Moriarty's in Ireland , lots of chancers too! It's possible although slim possibility if his mother was unmarried he was not adopted out but cared by extended family or friends or had been unfortunate enough to be placed in state care when very young until he was eighteen then he left Ireland immediately for the UK and onwards to Australia.

REALLY interesting and helpful to know. Thanks so much for that!

Wow some more info - I have been intrigued with this since Boh first posted. A town of 11 now perhaps 10. And a feud over meat pies. Now a secret family ! Imagine living in a town of 10 people all side eyeing each other ! With character names like Billy Light Can who can drink 2 cartons a day, it's almost a winning short story except...
Poor Paddy is missing and this is real.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow some more info - I have been intrigued with this....With character names like Billy Light Can who can drink 2 cartons a day, it's almost a winning short story except...

Exactly! I've read the links journalists have published about this town. It could certainly be a best-seller. Like you said, the sad thing is that Paddy is missing (presumed dead?).

Wow some more info - I have been intrigued with this since Boh first posted. A town of 11 now perhaps 10. And a feud over meat pies. Now a secret family ! Imagine living in a town of 10 people all side eyeing each other ! With character names like Billy Light Can who can drink 2 cartons a day, it's almost a winning short story except...

Two cartons a day was before he switched to light cans. I think the implication was that he drinks rather more than that now.

Don't forget the pet crocodile as a character in the short story. The crocodile has taken its part in the town's feuds before.

Two cartons a day was before he switched to light cans. I think the implication was that he drinks rather more than that now.

Don't forget the pet crocodile as a character in the short story. The crocodile has taken its part in the town's feuds before.

Yes, never smile at a crocodile . . .

MARCH 23 2018 - 1:44PM

Fran’s new idea for Paddy search

FRAN Hodgett says she has a plan to help solve the puzzling disappearance of fellow Larrimah local Paddy Moriarty.

Of course, having been a suspect herself, Fran says it is in her best interests if Paddy was found.
Fran is the colourful 75-year-old Larrimah baker who wants to make clear to anyone who will listen she had nothing to do with it.

Volunteers from Katherine scoured a rubbish tip last month trying to help solve the puzzling disappearance of Mr Moriarty.

Mr Moriarty was last seen at the Larrimah Hotel at 6pm on Saturday, December 16.
Despite an extensive search of the town and surrounds, nothing has been seen of him since.
Katherine volunteers have searched the tiny town’s tip, police divers havechecked the town dam – nothing.

Because of a decade-long feud between the pair, police even considered Fran and her gardener as possible suspects.

“I think they’ve searched my house three times now,” she said.

Fran dropped into the Katherine Times’ office this week to expand on her plan to find Paddy.
“They need to use trackers like they did in the old days, of course it’s probably too late for that now, but that’s what they should have done.”

Fran says police and volunteers walking in a line search for Paddy on searing heat was doomed to failure. “They couldn’t go far enough,” she said. “They need to be on horseback, horses are best for the bush around here.
“That way they could have gone further and searched better.”

Fran reckons a search on horse back might still be useful.“There might be some signs of him they can find,” she said.

It was Fran’s second visit to our office, the first time she was protesting her innocence of any crimes. Fran said there was a lot of local gossip about her involvement in Paddy’s disappearance. “I may not have liked him but I had nothing to do with it (disappearance), and I don’t know who did,” she said.

https://www.katherinetimes.com.au/story/5303065/frans-new-idea-for-paddy-search/

Paddy whacked: The suspicious disappearance rocking tiny town of 12 people
9news.com.au
A Current Affair
By Brady Halls
5:25pm Apr 30, 2018

‘If you were planning to knock someone off, it’s best you don't do it in a remote village hundreds of kilometres from anywhere where only 12 people live.

So when a resident of Larrimah in the Northern Territory went missing feared dead in suspicious circumstances, you'd think it'd be a fairly open and shut case for police, given there's not a lot of suspects.

But no.

Four months on, there's still no sign of local 70-year-old Paddy Moriarty, but the rumour mill in Larrimah is certainly alive and well.’

‘Most of the village has a theory on what happened to him, pointing the finger at a few of the locals.

But all this time on, police are no closer to catching their man – or woman.

Fran Hodgetts is a key suspect.

The 75-year-old has told us she's been under house arrest, her property searched numerous times and she's still being interviewed by investigating police.’

To read more, click on the headline (above).

Who Whacked Paddy?
A Current Affair
30 April 2018

(Segment starts at 06:45)

[video=youtube;OVy8jjtquXY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVy8jjtquXY[/video]

No problem, Tripod. It’s an interesting misper case. I’m sure Mrs Hodgetts’ evidence will be entertaining. She’s quite a character.
Yes, it is and yes, she sure is! The entire cast of characters ( all 12..) is interesting ;)

Entertaining article, Bohemian :) Thanks for keeping Paddy's thread going. All the characters are so colorful, I'm surprised there's not a lot of interest!

Entertaining article, Bohemian :) Thanks for keeping Paddy's thread going. All the characters are so colorful, I'm surprised there's not a lot of interest!

My pleasure. Paddy’s disappearance is the stuff of Wolf Creek. If it was crime fiction it would make a ripping yarn. Maybe there will be more interest once charges are laid. I think there will be and someone will be making their pies from inside an NT women’s correctional centre unless they give up the murderer.

Paddy Moriarty Disappeared
The Monthly (Australia)
Russell Marks
1 August 2018

PressReader.com - Connecting People Through News

Very interesting article, one things that stands out is the ex husband may have been involved in this madness :

Kelvin Currie raises with Hodgetts the events of September 2017, when she had told police that Moriarty and her ex-husband Bill had poured oil all over her plants. “I couldn’t prove anything because everything was done when I went shopping at night.” It was around this time that Hodgetts had welcomed 71-year-old Owen Laurie to her property as a resident gardener and handyman.

Also very strange for a town of 10 people:

Very little is known about Owen Laurie by anyone else. Most of the locals – all 10 of them – have never met him.

The timing of the phone calls by Owen Laurie also:

“There was a telephone number … I think by then I might have gone to the phone box and rang that number and got no answer.” Larrimah’s only phone box happens to be just next to Hodgetts’ tea house – and directly opposite Moriarty’s place. Its records show two calls made to an IT company, at 6.30pm and 6.31pm. Both went unanswered. Coincidentally, that’s just about the time Paddy Moriarty left the Pink Panther on his quad bike. Owen Laurie declares he neither saw Moriarty nor heard his bike.

I believe this town is going to be known for much more than “famous pies and pink pubs”o_O

Very interesting article, one things that stands out is the ex husband may have been involved in this madness :

Kelvin Currie raises with Hodgetts the events of September 2017, when she had told police that Moriarty and her ex-husband Bill had poured oil all over her plants. “I couldn’t prove anything because everything was done when I went shopping at night.” It was around this time that Hodgetts had welcomed 71-year-old Owen Laurie to her property as a resident gardener and handyman.

Also very strange for a town of 10 people:

Very little is known about Owen Laurie by anyone else. Most of the locals – all 10 of them – have never met him.

The timing of the phone calls by Owen Laurie also:

“There was a telephone number … I think by then I might have gone to the phone box and rang that number and got no answer.” Larrimah’s only phone box happens to be just next to Hodgetts’ tea house – and directly opposite Moriarty’s place. Its records show two calls made to an IT company, at 6.30pm and 6.31pm. Both went unanswered. Coincidentally, that’s just about the time Paddy Moriarty left the Pink Panther on his quad bike. Owen Laurie declares he neither saw Moriarty nor heard his bike.

I believe this town is going to be known for much more than “famous pies and pink pubs”o_O

My money’s on OL for Paddy’s and Kellie’s suspicious disappearances. With maybe a little help from the pie lady and that pet crocodile.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lesleigh719
Back