Australia Australia - Peter Falconio, 28, Barrow Creek, NT, 14 Jul 2001

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hi Makara

No, not the latest one, it's the report of the one which he lost a few years ago.

The best I can do is suggest you Google: The Queen v Murdoch, and you should be able to find it.

The numbers for the paragraphs which have caused the confusion are as follows:

9....10....15....32....33....34 & 35

They deal with where the dirt piles/blood stains were found in relation to the Kombi....which I, and many others it seems, thought was found North of the 'incident' site. However, according to the way the report is written, it was found South. It's also stated that the police walked South for 1k and found the Kombi off the road on a track.

I thought I had a good mental image of where things were located but this has confused me. I hope you find the article and can get back with your thoughts.

Also, I lean more towards your Scenario 2....

This shows pictures where the kombi was found. CHANNEL 7 show which claimed to find the final resting place of murdered English backpacker Peter Falconio was filmed almost three years ago.

Many people believe Peter's body is in a well at Neutral Junction Station, manager Bev Thompson confirmed she has been regularly checking the well depth. She said the well, from which water for cattle is pumped, has dried out in the past, but not in the two years she has been there.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/news/north...y-filmed-in-2011/story-fnk0b1zt-1226814203672

This shows pictures where the kombi was found. CHANNEL 7 show which claimed to find the final resting place of murdered English backpacker Peter Falconio was filmed almost three years ago.

Many people believe Peter's body is in a well at Neutral Junction Station, manager Bev Thompson confirmed she has been regularly checking the well depth. She said the well, from which water for cattle is pumped, has dried out in the past, but not in the two years she has been there.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/news/north...y-filmed-in-2011/story-fnk0b1zt-1226814203672

Thank you for posting the picture of the Kombi, although it doesn't give any idea of whether it is situated either North or South of the incident site.
That is the question.
Everyone seems to think that all the writers indicate it was approximately 400mtrs North.
Have we all assumed this because none of the writers NOR Joanne said the Kombi was turned around on the road before being driven away? Is this something we have accepted and never questioned before?
If it was found 1K South it would also affect the amount of time an attacker would be away from the scene, leaving Joanne an even greater amount of time to escape.....leaving his own vehicle unattended with Peter either on the ground or in the back of the Ute.
Another question is: WAS there a track 400mtrs to the North and is that where Vince turned the roadtrain round?
It's better to read what is in the Appeal Document and compare it with what has become generally accepted as it is difficult to explain any other way.

[32] Mr Millar had accompanied the police back to the crime scene. Shortly after 7 am on 15 July 2001 police officers walked south along the Stuart Highway from about the location where Ms Lees had been picked up by Mr Millar. About a kilometre south of that location one of the officers walking on the west side of the Highway observed the top of a van in the tree line about 104 metres, or a little further, off the road. On examination this was found to be an orange Kombi van that appeared to be unoccupied.

[33] When the police officers returned to the Highway in that general location they observed a stain on the road with dirt and rubble near it. This appears to have been the site of the dirt pyramid previously referred to. The area was cordoned off. The Kombi van was forensically examined in situ and subsequently removed by tow truck that evening and taken to Alice Springs, where it was secured in the forensic building.

[34] Police crime scene examiners observed and recorded vehicle track marks leading from the general area of the stain on the road to the location of the Kombi van where it was found in the scrub. No keys were found in the ignition of the Kombi or on searching the area, even using a metal detector. Some keys were later found in the Kombi under other items

http://murderpedia.org/male.M/m/murdoch-bradley-appeal.htm

Thank you for posting the picture of the Kombi, although it doesn't give any idea of whether it is situated either North or South of the incident site.
That is the question.
Everyone seems to think that all the writers indicate it was approximately 400mtrs North.
Have we all assumed this because none of the writers NOR Joanne said the Kombi was turned around on the road before being driven away? Is this something we have accepted and never questioned before?
If it was found 1K South it would also affect the amount of time an attacker would be away from the scene, leaving Joanne an even greater amount of time to escape.....leaving his own vehicle unattended with Peter either on the ground or in the back of the Ute.
Another question is: WAS there a track 400mtrs to the North and is that where Vince turned the roadtrain round?
It's better to read what is in the Appeal Document and compare it with what has become generally accepted as it is difficult to explain any other way.

[32] Mr Millar had accompanied the police back to the crime scene. Shortly after 7 am on 15 July 2001 police officers walked south along the Stuart Highway from about the location where Ms Lees had been picked up by Mr Millar. About a kilometre south of that location one of the officers walking on the west side of the Highway observed the top of a van in the tree line about 104 metres, or a little further, off the road. On examination this was found to be an orange Kombi van that appeared to be unoccupied.

[33] When the police officers returned to the Highway in that general location they observed a stain on the road with dirt and rubble near it. This appears to have been the site of the dirt pyramid previously referred to. The area was cordoned off. The Kombi van was forensically examined in situ and subsequently removed by tow truck that evening and taken to Alice Springs, where it was secured in the forensic building.

[34] Police crime scene examiners observed and recorded vehicle track marks leading from the general area of the stain on the road to the location of the Kombi van where it was found in the scrub. No keys were found in the ignition of the Kombi or on searching the area, even using a metal detector. Some keys were later found in the Kombi under other items

http://murderpedia.org/male.M/m/murdoch-bradley-appeal.htm

Thank you for getting this...

I take the meaning of "police officers walked South along the highway (for 1K) from the location where Ms Lees was 'picked up' ...... " to mean from where she was first spotted by Vince Millar. Otherwise, if they mean 'picked up' as in put into the cab, it would mean the Kombi was 2K from the incident site because reports say it took approximately 1K for the road train to come to a halt after Joanne was noticed.
This also means that where Vince eventually stopped was very near to where the Kombi was hidden.

I take the meaning of "police officers walked South along the highway (for 1K) from the location where Ms Lees was 'picked up' ...... " to mean from where she was first spotted by Vince Millar. Otherwise, if they mean 'picked up' as in put into the cab, it would mean the Kombi was 2K from the incident site because reports say it took approximately 1K for the road train to come to a halt after Joanne was noticed.
This also means that where Vince eventually stopped was very near to where the Kombi was hidden.

BBM.

Exactly! So why was Joanne Lees a km north of wear the alleged incident took place? She stated that she crossed from the western side to the eastern side of the highway and hid in long grass after the gunman had departed the scene and she stayed there until she flagged Millar down. By the time Millar saw Joanne and slammed on his breaks the truck had travelled about a kilometre before coming to a stop. This happened to be near to where the blood stain and the Kombi were located. The Kombi was in close proximity to the blood stain and not further south.

BBM.

Exactly! So why was Joanne Lees a km north of wear the alleged incident took place? She stated that she crossed from the western side to the eastern side of the highway and hid in long grass after the gunman had departed the scene and she stayed there until she flagged Millar down. By the time Millar saw Joanne and slammed on his breaks the truck had travelled about a kilometre before coming to a stop. This happened to be near to where the blood stain and the Kombi were located. The Kombi was in close proximity to the blood stain and not further south.

"So why was Joanne Lees a km north of where the alleged incident took place?".......

Whatever it was that happened there, could Joanne have fled leaving Peter behind and that's why she says she has no idea what happened to him. i.e.. didn't say that what she heard was a gunshot and she never saw a body?

This case is so eerie and mysterious....really strange.
I remember seeing the arrest of Bradley john Murdoch on tv, and my instinct and first thought was that he didn't do it....
I don't know all the details of the case though.

Hi Daphne,

are you referring to Brad Murdoch's most recent appeal? The one that was subsequently withdrawn? (And I'd really like to know the reason for the withdrawal). I must admit that I've not seen any documents relating to any of Murdoch's appeals but would love to. Do you have a link?

In all of the books I've read on this case, (I've read all of them at least three times) it has always been stated that the Kombi was found not far north of the alleged incident. It really does intrigue me why the Kombi was supposedly moved by the alleged attacker from the side of the road to where it was found. Or was it? It's always seemed to me that it was a nice snug place off the highway for Peter and Joanne to settle down for the night. But how would they have found that place? How would anyone find that place unless they were familiar with the area?

There is something just not right about this case. The two main scenario's that I've come up with so far are;

1. Brad Murdoch, off his brain on a cocktail of drugs while travelling north in the Territory, became paranoid and in turn was convinced that Peter Falconio and Joanne Lees were following him in their bright orange Kombi. Murdoch had a large cache of drugs on board and he may have felt that he was the target of theft or worse. Unbeknown to Murdoch, Falconio and Lees were just two English tourists, not the least bit interested in him or his drugs. They didn't know him from a bar of soap.

It has been established that Murdoch was in the general area at the time of the alleged attack. Did he engage in a game of leap-frog up the highway with the Kombi, eventually becoming the one following? Seizing the opportunity on that long, straight stretch of the Stuart Highway and under the cover of darkness, Murdoch flagged down the Kombi on the premise that he'd seen sparks coming from its exhaust pipe. That's always a great way to persuade someone to pull over isn't it?

According to what I've read to date, there has never been any mention of Brad Murdoch displaying violence towards women. Quite the opposite in fact. He was acquitted of the rape charges in South Australia and rightly so in my opinion. I believe that Hepi set him up with that one. More probably out of spite than anything else and the woman and the pimp involved were paid handsomely by Hepi for their trouble.

Murdoch, believing that he was being followed by the orange Kombi didn't bargain on the fact that one of the passengers was a woman. He more than likely thought that the driver of the Kombi and any passengers onboard were males. Peter Falconio pulled over and walked back to speak to Murdoch, who in his drug addled mind and seething with rage shot Falconio and fully intended to take care of any other men who were in the Kombi. He didn't bargain on Joanne Lees. After telling her to turn off the ignition (he eventually did that, Joanne was apparently shaking too much to do so), he fumbled with the homemade handcuffs, the tape and whatever else to get her in the back of his vehicle but he really didn't know what to do with her. He couldn't bring himself to shoot her but what the hell was he going to do with her? He'd just killed her boyfriend and had to get rid of his body. In the interim, Joanne had climbed from the back of Murdoch's vehicle and fled into the scrub. In a half arsed and still drug addled effort, Murdoch searched for her but he had to keep moving, had to get out of there. Now this is where it all gets a bit murky with me. Did Murdoch load Peter's body into the Kombi and drive to Neutral Junction, not too far down the road, dispose of Peter's body down a well or elsewhere on the property, return to the scene and park the Kombi where it was found and then depart in his own vehicle? Or did he use his own vehicle to transport Peter's body to Neutral Junction?

In the above scenario there was no motive, other than paranoia brought about by drugs. There was however the means and opportunity.

2. Joanne Lees killed Peter Falconio in a fit of rage and has successfully convinced the courts that it was Brad Murdoch who killed Peter and who also attacked her. She just went with the flow of the investigation and changed her story to suit any new (so called) evidence as it came to hand, all the while avoiding any interviews with the media. She always left that chore to someone else. Her mental state was even questioned by more than one investigator!

Joanne's description of her alleged attacker changed dramatically from what she initially told the police who attended at Barrow Creek hours after the incident to the ensuing committal hearing and ultimate trial of Brad Murdoch.

There were reports by more than one witness that Joanne and Peter had a blazing argument while the were staying in Alice Springs. (Joanne has denied this). It was also reported by a witness that Joanne was antagonist towards Peter at one stage, even lashing out physically at him by punching him in the back.

It would seem that everything came to a head in Alice Springs. The raging argument. Joanne physically attacking Peter. The purchasing of separate airline tickets to independent destinations by both Peter and Joanne. Something happened to spark this chain of events and I believe his name was Nick Riley, aka Steph the secret lover Joanne had met in Sydney. The same man she emailed shortly after Peter was reported missing, telling him she was looking forward to meeting up with him in Berlin. The same man she told they would name their first daughter Stephanie. Joanne had lied to Peter, telling him that once a week she was staying overnight with her friend Steph, while all the while she was in Nick Riley's bed. Had Peter discovered Joanne's deception and given her an ultimatum - him or me? Or had Peter simply told her to just piss off? I think that's possible. But if Joanne did indeed kill Peter Falconio, how did she do it? Did she act alone or did she have an accomplice?

In the above scenario, Joanne Lees had the motive, means and opportunity to kill Peter Falconio.

And then there are all the grey areas in between. Was there a crazy homicidal maniac roaming the highways of the Territory? Were Peter and Joanne running drugs and fell foul of their suppliers?

And the list goes on.

In what you have written here "According to what I've read to date, there has never been any mention of Brad Murdoch displaying violence towards women. Quite the opposite in fact. He was acquitted of the rape charges in South Australia and rightly so in my opinion. I believe that Hepi set him up with that one. More probably out of spite than anything else and the woman and the pimp involved were paid handsomely by Hepi for their trouble."
Are you talking about the rape of a 12 year old girl, he was charged with in South Australia?

In what you have written here "According to what I've read to date, there has never been any mention of Brad Murdoch displaying violence towards women. Quite the opposite in fact. He was acquitted of the rape charges in South Australia and rightly so in my opinion. I believe that Hepi set him up with that one. More probably out of spite than anything else and the woman and the pimp involved were paid handsomely by Hepi for their trouble."

Are you talking about the rape of a 12 year old girl, he was charged with in South Australia?

Bradley Murdoch, 45, was found not guilty at the South Australian district court in Adelaide of raping and abducting an acquaintance and her 12-year-old daughter.

I found an article that says he was found not guilty.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/ex...-cleared-of-rape-held-for-killing-Briton.html

Yes I am Adrianna.

I have always thought this was odd, regardless of the changing stories that Lees told and Hepi was the main witness against Murdoch, wasn't he? I think he got some kind of leniency in exchange for information.
Yes I am Adrianna.

This case is so eerie and mysterious....really strange.
I remember seeing the arrest of Bradley john Murdoch on tv, and my instinct and first thought was that he didn't do it....
I don't know all the details of the case though.

I still to this day and always have believed he had nothing to do with it. Something very strange happened out there but i dont for a second believe Bradley Murdoch had anything to do with it. :/

I believe he is guilty and it happened as Joanne Lees described. There are loads of mad drugged up sun fried people out there in the bush.

If that is the case, then it could well have been another of the drugged up sun fried people.
I believe he is guilty and it happened as Joanne Lees described. There are loads of mad drugged up sun fried people out there in the bush.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanling53
Back