Australia Australia - Peter Falconio, 28, Barrow Creek, NT, 14 Jul 2001

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Have police found the body of Peter Falconio? 'Shallow grave' found near where the British backpacker vanished after being kidnapped with his girlfriend on a lonely desert road

PUBLISHED: 14:03 EST, 17 November 2015 | UPDATED: 14:37 EST, 17 November 2015

• Police searched a site south of Barrow Creek after receiving a tip-off
  • Information they received indicated there was a shallow grave at the site
Police have searched a site south of Barrow Creek, in the Northern Territory, one of the locations where notorious outback murderer Bradley John Murdoch could have dumped the body of his victim - British backpacker Peter Falconio.

Northern Territory police - acting on a tip-off of a possible shallow grave in the area - on Sunday searched a site south of Barrow Creek, The Courier Mail reported.

'Some guys stopped there in 2013 and took a photo and finally reported it through Crime Stoppers last week,' Senior Sergeant Mike Potts said.

'We periodically get information and we have to check it out.'
Snr Sgt Potts said he and another police officer spent hours at the site but they did not find a shallow grave.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...cker-Peter-Falconio-s-body.html#ixzz3rjTJ2MfX

I don't believe a man could lift the dead weight of another man without training.

Yeah I agree. I totally believe he is out there somewhere. :(

.....yes he could quite easily! ....we're taught in emergency services,but can do it without being shown first.....only reason it's really shown (in training) is 'correct way' for health of your back ;) .....i'm 5' 6" and less than average build but can lift a dead weight rugby player onto shoulders and run with him.......was pretty obvious how to get them onto shoulders.

Wow, I would love for him to be found and for the case to be solved one way or another. But I'm not holding my breath!

Peter Falconio's murderer would remain in jail under proposed 'No body, no parole' laws

Northern Territory Attorney-General John Elferink wants to introduce new legislation that will stop convicted murderers being given parole if they refuse to release the location of their victim's body.
Mr Elferink said the legislation would only affect one prisoner in the Northern Territory currently, Bradley John Murdoch.

Murdoch is convicted of murdering English backpacker Peter Falconio in a case that captured the world's attention.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-...adley-murdoch-no-body,-no-parole-laws/7236850

Lead investigator on Peter Falconio murder case thinks body may never be recovered

While new legislation prevents murderers from receiving parole until they reveal the body's location, Ms Gwynne thinks Mr Falconio's body may never be recovered.

"He maintains he is innocent to this day and the arrogance of the man astounds me," she said.

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...dy-may-never-be-recovered#f6GrQZpwVvKldXpR.99

Lead investigator on Peter Falconio murder case thinks body may never be recovered

While new legislation prevents murderers from receiving parole until they reveal the body's location, Ms Gwynne thinks Mr Falconio's body may never be recovered.

"He maintains he is innocent to this day and the arrogance of the man astounds me," she said.

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...dy-may-never-be-recovered#f6GrQZpwVvKldXpR.99

This is such a sad case. Poor Joanne Lees (while maybe not the bestest girlfriend ever) got vilified in the press, hope she is getting on ok with her life. Can anyone off the top of their head remind what the physical evidence was that proved Murdoch did it? Just curious as it's been so long!

This is such a sad case. Poor Joanne Lees (while maybe not the bestest girlfriend ever) got vilified in the press, hope she is getting on ok with her life. Can anyone off the top of their head remind what the physical evidence was that proved Murdoch did it? Just curious as it's been so long!

one tiny spec of dna on Murdoch's tee shirt....whereas in reality, he would have been covered in her dna, had she been struggling in the way she said....

this case was beyond farcical, even the police are on record as saying they know Murdoch didnt kill Falconio - if he is even dead of course, which is a whole other subject...

one tiny spec of dna on Murdoch's tee shirt....whereas in reality, he would have been covered in her dna, had she been struggling in the way she said....

this case was beyond farcical, even the police are on record as saying they know Murdoch didnt kill Falconio - if he is even dead of course, which is a whole other subject...

Wait, what do you mean if he is dead[/]? Where else could he be?

So, did Joanne do it? Could he have got away with hiding his body? Or was there a third person, unknown, involved?

Thing is, how would any of Murdoch's DNA be on Joanne if they'd never met?

I'm not being facetious or playing devil's advocate by the way, I followed this case in depth at the time but it was 15 years ago so I have forgotten a lot!!

So, did Joanne do it? Could he have got away with hiding his body? Or was there a third person, unknown, involved?

Thing is, how would any of Murdoch's DNA be on Joanne if they'd never met?

I'm not being facetious or playing devil's advocate by the way, I followed this case in depth at the time but it was 15 years ago so I have forgotten a lot!!

I will have to dig out my notes over the week end, I read loads on this one and commented loads ( not on here )

Joanne didn't kill him ,I don't believe anyone did, and definitely there was at least one other person involved

There was cross contamination of evidence and that is how the defence believe the spek of DNA ended up on Murdoch's shirt.
There was however no DNA found in the combo, which Murdoch was supposed to have driven off the highway.

The blood found on the highway was never tested against falconio's , the aboriginal trackers evidence, even though it was days later as they were not called in immediately, completely refuted what Ms Lees said happened.

The ever changing stories re the cable ties, re where she allegedly hid in the bushes, the truck drivers evidence as to where Joanne appeared from, the list is endless

I will have a search for my notes over the week end and refresh my memory

I think Murdoch was involved, but just not quite in the way we think.

Murdoch was involved in drugs/drug running, yes? Maybe Lees and/or Falconio were too. Or perhaps they were just customers with a bad debt.

Maybe there was some sort of dispute and Murdoch was after Falconio. Maybe Falconio needed to fake his death to get out of the situation and it was sweet revenge for them to get Murdoch to take the blame for the death.

Just a few ideas that have been swimming around my mind!

The DNA was Murdoch's and it was found on Joanna Lees' t-shirt.

Peter Falconio murder: Former chief investigator laments 15 years since killing and still no body
ABC News
By Kristy O'Brien
Updated Sat at 11:09am (09JUL16)
Posted Fri at 2:21pm (08JUL16)

'Hindsight and time has allowed police officers like Ms Gwynne to analyse the investigation.

"I don't think we were well equipped at the time to respond to what was the biggest case we would undertake.

"We made a number of errors but having said that, we were quickly able to get some order within the investigation."'

'Ms Gwynne said she understood initially why everyone had to be considered but she personally never doubted Ms Lees' story.

"I knew straight away she was an incredibly credible witness, her recollection of the event of July the 14th was incredible, her attention to detail was second to none."

She said her treatment was fuelled by false leads.

"I was in no doubt that this woman was entirely telling the truth, there were some inconsistencies that could be attributed to stress on the night or poor investigating where we brought in some influences that might have contaminated her evidence."'

'The final piece of the puzzle that pinned the crime on Murdoch was a DNA sample from his brother that unsurprisingly matched with evidence at the scene.'

'Ms Gwynne described the moment she first interviewed the man she viewed as a monster: "His approach to me was to try and intimidate me, and I'm not a big person by any standards and the same size as Joanne.'

'"He tried to stand over me and I wasn't willing to take a backward step.

"We spoke to him for some time and you could see the power shift from Murdoch to us as we started questioning him about aspects of the case and he become very frustrated and angry, and almost took a number of steps back, so it was a power game."

She knew he was the killer from the outset.

"There was never any doubt for me that Bradley Murdoch was guilty of this crime - the challenge was to make sure we got a conviction," she said.'

'Murdoch is serving a life sentence and will not be eligible for release under relatively new legislation that prevents murderers from receiving parole unless they reveal the location of a body.

Ms Gwynne doesn't hold out hope.

"Do I think he'll disclose: no I don't. He maintains he is innocent to this day and the arrogance of the man astounds me."'

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-...ator-laments-anniversary-with-no-body/7580682

The can't make that retrospective though can they? If he is innocent, then it stands to reason he will maintain that, arrogant or not, imo and her arrogance is astounding to me, she knew he was the killer from the outset
, perhaps she fitted him to the crime because of that, is a possibility.

Peter Falconio murder: Former chief investigator laments 15 years since killing and still no body
ABC News
By Kristy O'Brien
Updated Sat at 11:09am (09JUL16)
Posted Fri at 2:21pm (08JUL16)

'Hindsight and time has allowed police officers like Ms Gwynne to analyse the investigation.

"I don't think we were well equipped at the time to respond to what was the biggest case we would undertake.

"We made a number of errors but having said that, we were quickly able to get some order within the investigation."'

'Ms Gwynne said she understood initially why everyone had to be considered but she personally never doubted Ms Lees' story.

"I knew straight away she was an incredibly credible witness, her recollection of the event of July the 14th was incredible, her attention to detail was second to none."

She said her treatment was fuelled by false leads.

"I was in no doubt that this woman was entirely telling the truth, there were some inconsistencies that could be attributed to stress on the night or poor investigating where we brought in some influences that might have contaminated her evidence."'

'The final piece of the puzzle that pinned the crime on Murdoch was a DNA sample from his brother that unsurprisingly matched with evidence at the scene.'

'Ms Gwynne described the moment she first interviewed the man she viewed as a monster: "His approach to me was to try and intimidate me, and I'm not a big person by any standards and the same size as Joanne.'

'"He tried to stand over me and I wasn't willing to take a backward step.

"We spoke to him for some time and you could see the power shift from Murdoch to us as we started questioning him about aspects of the case and he become very frustrated and angry, and almost took a number of steps back, so it was a power game."

She knew he was the killer from the outset.

"There was never any doubt for me that Bradley Murdoch was guilty of this crime - the challenge was to make sure we got a conviction," she said.'

'Murdoch is serving a life sentence and will not be eligible for release under relatively new legislation that prevents murderers from receiving parole unless they reveal the location of a body.

Ms Gwynne doesn't hold out hope.

"Do I think he'll disclose: no I don't. He maintains he is innocent to this day and the arrogance of the man astounds me."'

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-...ator-laments-anniversary-with-no-body/7580682

The can't make that retrospective though can they?

[RSBM]

The legislation is retrospective if that's what you're asking, Karo.

Peter Falconio murder: Appeal to find backpacker's remains
BBC News England
4 hours ago (as of 00:13 15JUL2016 AEST)

'Australian police searching for the body of murdered backpacker Peter Falconio have renewed their appeal for help to find his remains.'

'Northern Territory Police has renewed its appeal for information on the 15th anniversary of his death.

Acting Deputy Commissioner Lance Godwin urged Murdoch to "consider the heartache of the Falconio family" and give up the location of the body.

"We are continuing to search for Mr Falconio and will do so until he is found," he added.'

'Last month, legislation preventing convicted murderers from becoming eligible for parole unless they reveal the location of their victim was passed by the Northern Territory Government.

Murdoch's case is the only one in the Northern Territory affected by the change.
'

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-36792282

Thank you, I understand now, parole is a different issue to his sentence.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACEmama
Back