Australia Australia - Prabhdeep Srawn, 25, Canadian, Snowy Mtns, NSW, 13 May 2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have the feeling that because the day was so nice, he was just in tourist mode - and possibly didn't think he would need to be in survival mode. There were others on the path he was trekking too - so there were people around. I wish I could find the article that said another trekker who was interviewed said 'he knew he was not too far behind him (Prabh) because he could see his footprints on the path.'

The round trip on the WALKING MAP from GOOGLE says the trip back to the carpark via Mt Townsend (Caruthers Peak) takes 5 hours 4 minutes to walk (map below) - so I dont think Prabh thought he would be gone all day - 6 hours at the most for a fit person - he was 25 y.o.

What concerns me in the NORMAL MAP from GOOGLE puts Mt Townsend in a different area. I had questioned before about what type of maps he had taken with him. There are spots on the track that are not well marked or crisscross over other tracks - one wrong turn and you could be walking away from your destination instead of towards it.

The have the K9 squad from New Zealand there now - thats a great help. Those dogs have experience in the snow for sure.

Lets hope the puppies get some results!

Map 1 is the walking track map
Map 2 normal map

Thank you Figtree for the excellent maps!

Re the different locations of Mt Townsend - could the normal map be the actual peak of the mountain, and the other the trail on the side of the mountain?

Thank you Figtree for the excellent maps!

Re the different locations of Mt Townsend - could the normal map be the actual peak of the mountain, and the other the trail on the side of the mountain?

The walking trail map on Google satellite (if you zoom in) shows the trails - but you can also see the condition of the trails in good weather, and how it would be easy to miss a signpost and head off in the wrong direction or down some slope that is not an actual trail.
The Normal map shows Mt Townsend's marker to be out - I didn't change the direction locations (you know when you list them down the side A,B,C) - I just changed from normal to walking map in the links.

I hope he had Wildlife Park maps on him, and I wondered if he used his Iphone for GPS and how accurate it was.

The walking trail map on Google satellite (if you zoom in) shows the trails - but you can also see the condition of the trails in good weather, and how it would be easy to miss a signpost and head off in the wrong direction or down some slope that is not an actual trail.
The Normal map shows Mt Townsend's marker to be out - I didn't change the direction locations (you know when you list them down the side A,B,C) - I just changed from normal to walking map in the links.

I hope he had Wildlife Park maps on him, and I wondered if he used his Iphone for GPS and how accurate it was.

I was wondering whether the Mt Townsend pin in the walking map is actually called like that because the trail is on the side of the mountain in that particular spot, while the normal map puts the pin on the peak of the mountain. kwim? Like, hikers who walk along that trail would say "I'm now at the Mt Townsend spot" (without actually being on top of the mountain where the in normally is shown).

I'm not sure if I explain what I mean clearly ...

I was wondering whether the Mt Townsend pin in the walking map is actually called like that because the trail is on the side of the mountain in that particular spot, while the normal map puts the pin on the peak of the mountain. kwim? Like, hikers who walk along that trail would say "I'm now at the Mt Townsend spot" (without actually being on top of the mountain where the in normally is shown).

I'm not sure if I explain what I mean clearly ...

Oh yeah :) No, you were fine with that - I agree that sounds right :)

I was concerned with the difference between the 2 maps as Prabhdeep had been using Google maps - they were found in car. Though after seeing how prepared he actually was with food, I'm sure he took better nav equipment with him.

There is a wonderful post from one of the dog handler teams on the FB page. The handler tells the story of their recent search with their dog Jochen, along with the Canadian ArmyTeam.
Its great to hear about how they are doing the search with the dog!

Here is a small piece about the search:
We found ourselves in the worst scrub that could ever have been devised by anybody in their worst nightmare. I will go into much greater detail later in a blog about this deployment. We averaged 200meters per hour and finally arrived on the mobile phone ping spot and surveyed the landscape. The dog team headed for a group of snow gums higher up and the last trees at this height. As we got there, Jochen sniffed high up into the snow gums and did the most beautiful alert I could wish for. At first we were not sure whether he had alerted a couple of guys to our left that were fairly close. Given the wind direction coming up the mountain side, there was just a possibility that their scent had banked up in the tree tops. We had a discussion with Scott and agreed that we move on to the next group of gums. Here, Jochen again scented high up into the trees, even trying to get up into them, and then alerting so convincingly. We checked for any items of clothing or any object that might be up there, but nothing. We moved on to the third group of snow gums and the Jochen again alerted as before.
Read the article about the search:

There is also a picture of the tents all set up in the snow on the search at the link.

Very interesting what they write about the search with Jochen (the search dog) on the fb page! Thank you Fig for pointing it out. They say that Jochen was able to narrow down the search area from 100 sq km to 1 sq km, and that 3 more search teams with dogs from NZ are on the way. They say those new search teams will now focus on that area and continue Jochen's work. I wish them all the best of luck they could possibly have! And by the sound of it, in this terrain and temperatures you need as much luck as expertise, it seems to be grueling! 200m progress in one hour? Wow! Kudos to them!

@Elainera & mikkismom
Search for Canadian reservist missing in Australia gets desperate as winter closes in

http://www.mississauga.com/news-sto...australia-gets-desperate-as-winter-closes-in/

The NZ Search and rescue team now take over - the dogs must have been in quarantine (as far as I can speculate) as that team arrived last week (post in thread above).

But I read in the article:
In one more week, it will be full blown winter and Andres Caro of Hamilton's 31 Service Battalion, coordinator for the volunteer search and rescue team, says that's all the time they are going to get.

"At that point, it's pointless to go out and search because they are putting their lives at risk. We are there to bring someone home, not to leave people behind," said Caro, 25.

This is going to be a critical time in the next week. I hope too the new dog team will be able to pick up where Jochen left off and there are 3 dogs in that team so that is a big help in expanding the search area. One more week just seems like so little time - I hope the weather holds out a bit longer for them.

The Australian Swiss Search Dog Association has been a wonderful help to the family and searchers. In a post on their FB they recommended the NZ team as Australia has very little in the way of trained search canine for this type of environment (info from the ASSDA association FB page).

Be found Prabhdeep.

Yes let's hope there will be no rain this week - Peter mentioned that had Jochen gotten wet he would have frozen to death because he would not have dried, they can't risk getting a dog wet. Courageous men and dogs!

Yes let's hope there will be no rain this week - Peter mentioned that had Jochen gotten wet he would have frozen to death because he would not have dried, they can't risk getting a dog wet. Courageous men and dogs!

I did wonder how the dog managed in the snow. He had his own sleeping bag though :)

No news as yet but the weather has been good today, but there is a forecast of light showers and possible snow from tomorrow until Thursday. I hope that doesn't hamper the search too much. I bet they are keen to get back to the snow gums where Jochen alerted he had scented something.

Good luck to the search teams!

There was some footage on YouTube of the guys walking the Main Range.
You can see the conditions they are searching in.
Bare feet to cross rivers in the snow. Brrrrr.
They find shelter in one of the huts along the way - relief from the cold.
A bit of snowball throwing.
The roads and the the lookout - but everything is now white.

Main Range Walk

There are also some photos on the FB page:
Help Find Prabhdeep FBpage

An article from the Canberra Times:
Read more:
We're praying for a miracle but either way, we want something. Whether it's a body or if he is alive, we want something because we need closure.

Family spokesperson Tej Sahota said volunteers and professionals would use cross-country skis to continue on Tuesday.

search729-620x349.jpg

Above pic: The search party planning at Jindabyne.

I hope they find some more clues as to where Prahbdeep went missing. I hope they find him soon.
They are not giving up.

They are still looking for volunteers for the search as well.

A new call out for volunteers to help search for Prabhdeep from the Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/HelpFindPrabhSrawn

URGENT:
We are in need of volunteers for hiking/bushwalking only. No climbing or alpine experience required. This is a dense bush area, but no snow in this area.

You just need experience hiking/walking.
If interested go to the Facebook page and read how to contact them, ask questions and get information.

Prayers for the family - they will never give up looking for Prahbdeep.

It's been 2 months. Sadly I don't believe anymore he is alive. I hope they will find him though, one way or the other.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2013/07/20/20989061.html

"Australia's ABC News reported Saturday that the snowy season had begun in the area and the family and volunteers were stopping their search.

On Monday, a post on the Facebook page Help Find Prabh Srawn was still asking for experienced hikers and bushwalkers.

The family had also offered a $100,000 reward to anyone who found him"

Phew, glad you caught that one tarabull, was just about to post in a hurry! oh and Hurrah!!
Hope they find him soon!

I noticed on the Find Prabhdeep FB page that family has sent their hopes out to the Tweddle family that they also find their missing loved one, Gary Tweddle. Bless them.

The Srawn family are still on search to find Prabhdeep!
Keeping them in my thoughts always.
Lets hope we have news of 2 wonderful survival stories.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
capturedlive
Back