GUILTY Australia - Robert, 66, & Cheryl Adamson, 60, murdered, Murrumbeena, Vic, 19 Feb 2014

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
“We’ve just got to work through the evidence as best we can and take action when the evidence indicates that offences have been committed,” Mr Lay told 3AW on Thursday.
“Sometimes these take years to solve, and you’ll see that from time to time, that we’ll be charging people from 10 or 15 years ago.”

Isn't this an odd comment from Police Chief Commissioner Ken Lay?
Gosh it's only been three days! But maybe he's sending a message to the killer?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...na-double-killer/story-fni0fee2-1226833168993

Yes, that quote stood out to me as well. It did seem an odd thing to say so early on in the investigation. You could well be right about sending a message to the killer - letting him/her know they won't be giving up on the case.....

I live locally and have a connection to the school where Cheryl worked. It has been such a shock to our school community, impossible to comprehend.
I don't think there is anything odd about the staff members going to check on her on the Wednesday. Ordinarily teachers call in sick so that relief teachers can be arranged. Otherwise you'd end up with a class of children sitting there at 8.30 am with no teacher. It would rarely, if ever, happen that a teacher just didn't turn up, i imagine a missed alarm or car trouble might be the only exceptions. I imagine her colleagues tried to contact her by phone with no success through the morning. I think one or two colleagues then went to the home during lunch period. The home is about most 10 minutes away from the school.
How horrific for her colleagues to find Cheryl and her husband like that!
I think it's relevant that the police have not issues any warnings to local residents as you might expect if they suspected it was a random attack.
I wonder if they are watching and waiting for their suspect to crack or reveal themselves by their actions in the days ahead?
I wish the police well, such a tough job and so important.

I live locally too, Bazinga, and have been thinking of everyone at the school. How did the school handle the announcement, and what did they tell all those little kids? Hope your child isn't too traumatised. It must be a very scary idea for a young one.

I don't find it odd for him to have the guns and nor apparently does the fire arm control board. All would have to be registered. My son in law and grandson have a large safe full of guns, don't know how many. They are members of a shooting club and shoot clay pidgeons. There are trophies all over their house. When the hunting season opens they travel up bush for the weekend. This is all legal. JMOO

I live in suburban Melbourne and I don't feel there is a serial killer. IMO they are all different perpetrators. I live maybe 10k from Pakenham and Cranbourne. The one in Noble Park is about 10 min walk from my home, minutes by car. Murrumbeena is about 10k away. Unfortunately all of these cases have come to a stand still.

About locking doors. I am very lax. My back door is usually unlocked. I have a dog who is my alarm. Barks at anything that moves. JMOO

Well that was fantastically quick!! Thank goodness!

I wonder if he was known to them?

Well that was fantastically quick!! Thank goodness!

I wonder if he was known to them?

Agree Isis. Didn't expect it to happen this quickly.

21 years of age - robbery? If it was common knowledge that the guns were in the house, or someone found out they were there, this could have been a targeted robbery gone wrong (even though the police said the guns weren't actually part of the homicides - I read this as meaning not the weapon used in the murders).

Then again, how many times have we been totally surprised by motive on here. :scared:

Agree Isis. Didn't expect it to happen this quickly.

21 years of age - robbery? If it was common knowledge that the guns were in the house, or someone found out they were there, this could have been a targeted robbery gone wrong (even though the police said the guns weren't actually part of the homicides - I read this as meaning not the weapon used in the murders).

Then again, how many times have we been totally surprised by motive on here. :scared:

Yep, when I saw his age I thought robbery too. He may have been into ice and just lost it if they disturbed him.....:facepalm:

Or, as you say, it could be a totally surprising motive......

Well I'm glad to hear he's been arrested. I live in Melbourne. Had a high school live in Murumbeena and it's a nice, very suburban area. I hope their family has some answers now. Wonder if he was known to the family or known to police? I guess he left a pretty obvious evidence trail.

I'm shocked the killer is only 21. If it isn't robbery gone wrong, I can only think of bizarre motives. People may disagree with me but I'm saddened he is that young, especially if it was something like robbery gone wrong, on drugs, etc. What a way to wreck your life. He's done the crime, he should do the time. I'm just sad that a 21 year old did not have the life skills to avoid committing such an horrendous act.

Well I'm glad to hear he's been arrested. I live in Melbourne. Had a high school live in Murumbeena and it's a nice, very suburban area. I hope their family has some answers now. Wonder if he was known to the family or known to police? I guess he left a pretty obvious evidence trail.

I'm shocked the killer is only 21. If it isn't robbery gone wrong, I can only think of bizarre motives. People may disagree with me but I'm saddened he is that young, especially if it was something like robbery gone wrong, on drugs, etc. What a way to wreck your life. He's done the crime, he should do the time. I'm just sad that a 21 year old did not have the life skills to avoid committing such an horrendous act.

BB I'm with you, it always saddens me when an offender is so young. What has gone wrong in his life for him to be a double murderer at 21? And it's happening more and more...

Of course this doesn't take away from what I feel for the family of this couple, they could never have deserved this!

I guess I just wonder what is going wrong within our society? What needs to be changed for this to stop happening?

Very happy that an arrest has been made, it must be some kind of comfort and I'm sure glad he's off the streets!!

He may well have been a close neighbour

The fabulous sleuth, enzeder, pointed out to me that a neighbour called Colleen Hemming is quoted in MSM:

"Neighbours of the pair have described them as a "lovely couple".

Resident, Colleen Hemming, said the couple were always willing to lend a helping hand around the neighbourhood.

“It’s just devastating,” Ms Hemming said. “No one deserves to die like this.”

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2014/02/20/07/52/melbourne-couple-found-stabbed-to-death-in-home

From memory, her comment is eerily similar to the one spoken by DJK's mother in the Morgan Huxley case.....:scared:

Very grateful to hear an arrest has happened.

In a really horrible way (because the bizarre motives are always more terrifying) I hope the offender wasn't there to steal the guns. We are all told in a robbery, give them what they want. Unfortunately the laws surrounding responsibility of gun owners, and the fact that it is a weapon that the perpetrator wanted makes that "just hand it over" statement rather naive and somewhat impossible to do from a moral and legal perspective.

I hope that the family can now grieve, especially the son. The cloud if suspicion that comes about almost instantly (because typically a murderer is linked to their victims) can now disapate.

Very grateful to hear an arrest has happened.

In a really horrible way (because the bizarre motives are always more terrifying) I hope the offender wasn't there to steal the guns. We are all told in a robbery, give them what they want. Unfortunately the laws surrounding responsibility of gun owners, and the fact that it is a weapon that the perpetrator wanted makes that "just hand it over" statement rather naive and somewhat impossible to do from a moral and legal perspective.

I hope that the family can now grieve, especially the son. The cloud if suspicion that comes about almost instantly (because typically a murderer is linked to their victims) can now disapate.

Yes, I am SO glad that it wasn't the son!!:seeya:

The horrendous thing is that these murders by young perps are so darn violent. Crazy stabbing or bludgeoning, in this case. What are these kids so angry about? Or is it the scourge of ice that is so prevalent now?

Interesting that this arrest came after the police took the computers and vehicle from the house.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meganreinert
Back