Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 Mar 2020 #5 *charges*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, in this instance it's hard to know what to wish for, but I'm pleased they have been found. Whatever intelligence the police have been acting on, it's pretty spot on!

I have no doubt the police work and investigation into this case has been long, dedicated & thorough and GL has been in the police's sights for quite sometime. But I am still leaning towards thinking that GL confessed last week to where the bodies would be found & in confessing he supplied the final piece of the puzzle.

GL was taken into custody on the Monday and after three days I think it was he was formally charged & then the search began in a specific area.

I am hoping like hell that he did confess & that he will plead guilty, no trial will be required & he can go directly to jail

JMO & hopes

My sympathy goes out to Russell and Carols families and friends.

as for the accused, well I’m glad remains have been found and I hope the cause of death can be ascertained as that will make the prosecutions case even stronger.

Edited to add a big thanks to Vicpol for their hard work, well done!

The journey is still long for the family, I don't call this closure but it is some desperately needed answers for them

allowing them a chance to say goodbye to their loved ones

good job vicpol on solving what looked like a mystery at one stage

I hope this provides the answers to the questions about Russell and Carols disappearance, and eventually lead to some closure for their families and friends who have spent so long not knowing where they were. So sorry for the loss of your friend Motomike,

Last edited:
BREAKING: Human remains found in search for Victorian missing campers Russell Hill and Carol Clay

“Victoria Police has located human remains in bushland near Dargo as part of their ongoing investigation into the disappearance of Russell Hill and Carol Clay,” the statement read.

“The remains are yet to be formally identified and it is expected this process will take some time.

“As this matter is now before the courts, we will not be facilitating any interviews in relation to the investigation.”

Makes you wonder if after he was charged with murder the coppers offered to drop it to manslaughter if he told them where the bodies were? Either way, good job vicpol.
I have no doubt the police work and investigation into this case has been long, dedicated & thorough and GL has been in the police's sights for quite sometime. But I am still leaning towards thinking that GL confessed last week to where the bodies would be found & in confessing he supplied the final piece of the puzzle.

GL was taken into custody on the Monday and after three days I think it was he was formally charged & then the search began in a specific area.

I am hoping like hell that he did confess & that he will plead guilty, no trial will be required & he can go directly to jail

JMO & hopes

I've very mixed feelings. I'm amazed at the quick police work and glad that it's happened so early on in the search; but it's very confronting to realise that they found two dead bodies who used to be people, that we've kind of come to care about. So sorry for the families and friends. Hope they find some peace after today.

Makes you wonder if after he was charged with murder the coppers offered to drop it to manslaughter if he told them where the bodies were? Either way, good job vicpol.
Forensics should be able to tell the cause of death and its hard to ask for Manslaughter if Russell and Carol had both been shot IMO.

Is it known if Russell carried a firearm with him to protect himself out in the bush or shooters licence?

I have a strange feeling that there may be lots of legal argument and many details will be suppressed from the public from now until this is sorted out.

I keep thinking of how scared they must have been. :eek:

Unless whatever happened, happened so fast they didn't have time to think.

The Police knew early that they were dead. I wonder if he tried to use their credit card/s.

I guess there's a lot of things we won't know til the trial

Last edited:
Remains found in search for Vic campers - Deniliquin Pastoral Times

Police have found remains in their search for missing campers Carol Clay and Russell Hill.

Investigators on Tuesday found the human remains in bushland near Dargo in Victoria's high country as part of their search for the missing couple.

"The remains are yet to be formally identified and it is expected this process will take some time," police said in a statement on Tuesday.

RIP Carol and Russell. What a sad day for their families and friends. I hope that among the sadness there is a little relief that they (likely) have been found.

It is hard to believe this day finally arrived. But I am glad it did, as sad as it is.

There are a few really tricky cases now that I have seen VicPol do so well with. Huge kudos to them.

Forensics should be able to tell the cause of death and its hard to ask for Manslaughter if Russell and Carol had both been shot IMO.

Is it known if Russell carried a firearm with him to protect himself out in the bush or shooters licence?

I have a strange feeling that there may be lots of legal argument and many details will be suppressed from the public from now until this is sorted out.

Motomike said earlier that, to his knowledge, Russell never carried a gun while out there camping.

On ch7’s news report earlier the reporter used the term “believed to be the remains of” or something similar to that. So I’m wondering if some sort of description has leaked out to the reporters on the ground there, like say “yeah it’s 2 bodies” or something, and they’ve drawn conclusion from that?
I'm reading all the reports I can and so far all of them just say "remains" and nothing more.

Motomike said earlier that, to his knowledge, Russell never carried a gun while out there camping.
Thanks SA and Motomike for clarification and sincere condolences to all.

I was just wondering what angle his lawyer Chris McLennan may be instructed to go with now.

No doubt they will wait until they get the brief of evidence handed to them from the Prosecution in April before they formulate a strategy and have to attend the next hearing at the end of May 2022.

Not too much about his lawyer in the public arena that I can find. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member