Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 Mar 2020 #5 *charges*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but if they weren’t shot? Could it be a possibility that the true cause might not be able to be determined given the lengthy amount of time? (Pretty sure we know the answer, but you know where I’m coming from)
Forensics should be able to tell the cause of death and its hard to ask for Manslaughter if Russell and Carol had both been shot IMO.

Is it known if Russell carried a firearm with him to protect himself out in the bush or shooters licence?

I have a strange feeling that there may be lots of legal argument and many details will be suppressed from the public from now until this is sorted out.

GL obviously told LE exactly where to find the bodies, as it hardly took any time at all. And I doubt very much if he was offered a manslaughter deal so early in the piece, as surely there was no urgency after 20 months. IMO
I disagree Kemug. After the DM initially reported something similar no other Media outlets reported this. The news reports tonight say this is the vital piece of evidence that Police have been looking for and combined with the earlier statement that they were searching this site due to Intelligence they had gathered leads me to believe that after 3 days of questioning GL did not confess.

Hope he rolls over now though...

I am not sure if people can see this Age article or if it is paywalled for some.

It says that for the last two days police have used an excavator to lift chunks of topsoil, and then have placed the topsoil on blue plastic. Then they have been painstakingly sifting the soil and removing any items of interest, tagging them, and putting them in bags.

The police had narrowed their search away from the mine shafts and to a 20 metre square piece of land along the Union Spur Track.

Police were confident that they were searching the right area (and apparently they were right).

They cordoned the media off 6.5km away from their work area, so they could work away from prying eyes.

Russell Hill Carol Clay disappearance: Victoria Police uncover human remains in Dargo

Is that the one with lots of pics of them sifting etc.

I just read one like it, but this one has comments from Rob Ashlin and extra info to the one I read. He wants the remains identified to get closure for the family and is now questioning the safety of the bush.

One of the experts there was an arson expert

I am not sure if people can see this Age article or if it is paywalled for some.

I just read one like it, but this one has comments from Rob Ashlin and extra info to the one I read. He wants the remains identified to get closure for the family and is now questioning the safety of the bush.

RBBM

Wow.

Yes, I didn't know what to make of that. If perhaps Russell and Carol were moved out of the tent after it had been burned, or if they were looking for burned clothes and other evidence also.

This is just such a terrible situation. There is nothing I can think of that might have made the end easier for either of them. :(

Last edited:
Maybe some of their burned belongings were buried with them.
I'm hoping that Russell and Carol weren't burned :eek:

I'm thinking the search will continue.
I imagine they would search the area really well, for anything connected, including finding his DNA on anything. empty can, lolly wrapper etc.
The more evidence they have the better.

I'm not convinced he won't plead not guilty.

Yes, I didn't know what to make of that. If perhaps Russell and Carol were moved out of the tent after it had been burned, or if they were looking for burned clothes and other evidence also.

This is just such a terrible situation. There is nothing I can think of that might have made the end easier for either of them. :(

RBBM

Agreed.

As other posters indicated, I hope their demise was quick, and they didn't suffer too much.

JMVHO.

Incredible work by the police.

I can't believe they have found them so quickly. I have followed this story from the outset and am glad that they have been found. But it's a terrible story and my heart goes out to the families and friends.

Oh geez wth Rob, don’t say that! The bush is safer than the city or towns, just look at crime stats. Don’t give the Spring Street do-gooder’s any more reasons to lock us out of the high country!

Last edited:
Incredible work by the police.

I can't believe they have found them so quickly. I have followed this story from the outset and am glad that they have been found. But it's a terrible story and my heart goes out to the families and friends.

Yes, much kudos to the police.

Regarding locating the bodies, is it known if the accused give police general directions? (I haven't heard or read anything about him leading them through the bush -- as has happened in other cases.)

Or is it his current position that he knows nothing about any of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TruthAndACoffee