Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 Mar 2020 #6 *charges*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Extensive fires burnt out the Grant Historical Area 2006/07. I’ve posted this site up before, but these guys used the fire aftermath to explore and map the place. AFAIK this is the most extensive and comprehensive mine mapping project in that whole area.

“Project: A series of documents aimed at pinpointing important mines of the Crooked River and surrounding goldfields, giving sufficient information to allow interested persons to find them. We share photographs of those sites taken during the rare window of opportunity when the bushfires of 2006-7 burned the area clean, as well as research and maps”

http://excelworks.info/Goldfield.html

That entire area of Gippsland was affected by bushfires over recent years. I wonder if anyone can pull up some historical burn maps to see if this area was affected. In other photos I've seen the media of the Grant Historic Area, bushfire damage was apparent - burnt trunks giving way to regrowth.

I think accused has disposed of the bodies in a rush after the alleged murders. Departed and returned at a later date to place logs and endeavored to burn the evidence including the bodies. The Age journalist had the button man as the key suspect every time he spoke about the disappearance. I actually believe the police are a long way from proving GL is the killer. GL on remand would be on the receiving end of every trick in the book to gather further evidence that assists in proving guilt. As I have said previously why would an accused risk life in jail by talking when they can just choose to remain silent and be no worse off. I think police have had GL in the frame for many months and felt the time was right to pounce and lay charges because the police had exhausted their efforts to obtain any more information from GL's activities. Make no mistake I believe we are dealing with a SK.

How police cracked missing campers case

No Cookies | Herald Sun

Families will plan funerals for the pair in coming weeks after DNA testing is completed and the coroner releases the remains.

The Union Spur Track north of Dargo was reopened on Thursday as police finished processing the crime scene.

It is a place they hope to bring the campers’ loved ones to in the near future.

The investigation remains ongoing.

Behind a paywall. Articles behind paywalls sometimes may be made free access later.

Whenever I post that an article is behind a paywall, I always test it before I post by logging out of my subscription and seeing what access there is.

I think accused has disposed of the bodies in a rush after the alleged murders. Departed and returned at a later date to place logs and endeavored to burn the evidence including the bodies. The Age journalist had the button man as the key suspect every time he spoke about the disappearance. I actually believe the police are a long way from proving GL is the killer. GL on remand would be on the receiving end of every trick in the book to gather further evidence that assists in proving guilt. As I have said previously why would an accused risk life in jail by talking when they can just choose to remain silent and be no worse off. I think police have had GL in the frame for many months and felt the time was right to pounce and lay charges because the police had exhausted their efforts to obtain any more information from GL's activities. Make no mistake I believe we are dealing with a SK.

IMO I tend to agree that the bodies were either not originally placed at the root ball location, or if they were the alleged has returned to tamper with the scene of the crime later. "Bone Fragments" is very telling. Keeping in mind that we the public still don't know for sure yet whether GL spoke and directed LE to this location, I wonder whether this is the only location or perhaps more than one where remains / items of interest would be found? As far as belongings go this is almost a given, with the drone and mobile phones yet to be located.

Edit : Deleted redundant text from initial draft of this reply

Last edited:
Extensive fires burnt out the Grant Historical Area 2006/07. I’ve posted this site up before, but these guys used the fire aftermath to explore and map the place. AFAIK this is the most extensive and comprehensive mine mapping project in that whole area.

“Project: A series of documents aimed at pinpointing important mines of the Crooked River and surrounding goldfields, giving sufficient information to allow interested persons to find them. We share photographs of those sites taken during the rare window of opportunity when the bushfires of 2006-7 burned the area clean, as well as research and maps”
http://excelworks.info/Goldfield.html
Finding historic mines in the Grant Historic Area
Here is the fire map that covers this fire FYI

Attachments

• east_vic_mediamap_non_standard_map_20070207_0900.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
I've been AWOL for the past few days as my husband was carted off to hospital in an ambulance. I was only half way through Thread 4 and was about to post something but it may be redundant now so I've got a lot of catching up to do. I'd be hugely grateful if someone could tell me what's happened in just a few sentences. Thank you.

I hope he’s okay, JudgeJudi.

The Age newspaper has a long article about the accused and the investigation:
Loner, pilot, barbecue-lover - mystery swirls around accused killer
Russell Hill, Carol Clay disappearance: Mystery swirls around accused killer Greg Lynn
This is perhaps one of the better articles that I have read on this case to date.
I was under the impression that the location of GL (allegedly) doing a 30-point turn was at the gate up the hill, north of RL & CC's campsite - Just before the Wonnangatta track meets with Riley's Track. Possibly with the intent to exit onto Great Alpine Rd via Twins Rd track.

This article includes a map which describes the location of the 30-point turn being at the Wonnangatta River Crossing (Approx. 19km down-track SW of the Providence Spur Track)

18mPxsE.png

Is this correct, or is it an error on the part of The Age / Nine Network?

Edit : Edited for clarity

I’ve been looking around to find out more detail about the drone, because I thought that it was established that it hadn’t been found…only because 9news said this:

D54BE2AB-F1A9-412E-B029-C8C5991BA629.jpeg

Then I was reading the Age article by John Silvester, which confirmed they hadn’t found it.

Any thoughts?

This is perhaps one of the better articles that I have read on this case to date.
I was under the impression that the location of GL (allegedly) doing a 30-point turn was at the gate up the hill, north of RL & CC's campsite - Just before the Wonnangatta track meets with Riley's Track. Possibly with the intent to exit onto Great Alpine Rd via Twins Rd track.

This article includes a map which describes the location of the 30-point turn being at the Wonnangatta River Crossing (Approx. 19km down-track SW of the Providence Spur Track)

18mPxsE.png

Is this correct, or is it an error on the part of The Age / Nine Network?

Edit : Edited for clarity
I think they have made a mistake as if the gate was locked how did GL get to the Dargo road. The locked gate was the Myrtelford gate as far as I know, which is NE of where RH and CC were camped.

I find it odd or unusual the way the fire hit RH's truck. Like both sides are separated by something in the middle and it caused the truck to not have much damage but the tent completely. Can anyone think of what could do this. In earlier threads it was mentioned something like a wind puppet (I'm probably so off on the wind puppet thing.) Even with a motion like that I just can't see how the odd markings appeared on his truck. This post is suppose to go with what JBowie said as in post #25. (@#25.) Hopefully my link to post #25 works.

To me it looks like the annexe. In my mind I can see the annexe falling away from the main part of the tent due to the fire, and falling onto the canopy of the ute. Then maybe as the fire took hold of the annexe it dropped away to the ground. So the canopy was protected from the majority of the flames.
Who knows, that’s just what I see when I look at it.

There is talk of a possible serial killer in the Byron Bay area.

I had a very brief look at the Theo Hayez case on here, the backpacker who went missing in Byron Bay and several missing persons from the area were discussed with a heavy emphasis on a SK.

Yes, I've always thought that he came to grief from being heavily intoxicated. However, emerging evidence just this week throws some doubt on that scenario.

I agree, Conrad Whitlock shouldn’t be on that list. It just really doesn’t seem to add up given Conrad’s movements and plans for the following day. Just seems less than likely. And also not really sold on John Silvester’s article, it seems to be more of his assumptions rather than fact, but I guess he’s got a story to write so what’s an opinion here and there thinly disguised to sound like fact?

Re the gate and campsite in the pictures, the article is wrong and I think this is just a matter of someone who doesn’t know the area, trying to pull points of interest out from what they’ve seen written elsewhere. They obviously know where the Wonnangatta valley is, but then they’ve punched into google and been pointed to the Wonnangatta camp ground as being down between eaglevale and the kingwill bridge. If you zoom in on google maps and look for where Neates Track crosses the Wonnangatta river, you can pinpoint the spot in the pic they used. This is the wrong spot, but props for trying, it would be hard for anyone not familiar with the area.

F4CC1CAE-C1C1-4F72-8831-8A36F3D6E971.jpeg

Just read the article. It is by noted crime journalist John Silvester, who in my opinion gave a somewhat less than impress radio interview. He does have contacts in the police, to be sure. But, this article contains so much conjecture and few attributed quotations. That is always a warning sign. He also attributes to Mr Lynn beliefs an states of mind, Mr Silvester has absolutely no way of knowing Mr Lynn felt, believed or knew: "A practical man, Lynn knew police..."
Nevertheless, it does contain some things of interest, if only to confirm speculation here.
1. The police are likely to have built a psychological profile of the accused. [Comment: This is hardly not surprising. It is standard practice. You can also bet the police trawled the accused's social media as well, interviewed family and friends and associates and reached back in time, too.]
2. The accused's alleged personality and prior family life and relations with others are described, but not in detail, but cohere with comments made here by Alicia__elizabeth
3. The Mt Hotham photograph of 4WD and trailer provided crucial and focused attention on the accused.
4. Police arrested the accused because they feared destruction of evidence and self-harm.
5. Mobile phone data is speculated by the journalist as being important. [Again: Doh! that was clear to anyone who watched the 60mins and Ch9 documentary. You could see the map of the data points in the background and they were posted on WS.]
6. police seemed to be confident they would solve the case. [My police friends said this from the very beginning.]
7. the article does give a list of people who have disappeared recently in the high country. However, one name on that list, Mr Conrad Whitlock, who disappeared in July, 2019, is anomalous. see stories here, here and here. The night before he went missing, the 72-year-old went to bed at 8:30pm and told his wife he probably would not see her in the morning because he was going to get some tests. This medical appointment was scheduled for about 10.00 in the morning he disappeared. He woke up about 3.00 am, reportedly from an alarm he set, and drove into the high country. Mr Whitlock left his white BMW on the side of Mount Buller Road along with his jacket, mobile phone and keys on the front seat. He has not been seen again and despite extensive searching of the area, no trace has been found. Police believe he may have been disoriented by strong pain medication he was taking and "fell off the mountain". In my view, Mr Whitlock should not be on this list.
One significant departure: the location of the gate that thwarted the exit from the valley.
8. On WS the belief has been the "locked gate" was the Myrtleford gate. That belief came from the press, for instance here and here, quoting the police. For instance, from the ABC link provided: ""Detectives have also been given information that a vehicle attempted to leave the valley late at night on the evening of Friday, March 20, but the Myrtleford gate was closed because of the bushfires, meaning that the driver had to make a complicated turn back in the direction from which they had come."" The Silvester article says the locked gate was on or near the Wonnangatta River Crossing. Silvester does not give the source of that information. I have looked at youtube videos, maps of the area and thanks to Brumby Jack, the road closures. I have not seen reference to a gate on the river at this location. Perhaps people on WS familiar with the area can provide an opinion. But at this juncture, I'm inclined to say the article is wrong on this point.
My overall rating for the Silvester article is a 2/10, but I am a hard marker.

View attachment 325133

View attachment 325132

I’ve been looking around to find out more detail about the drone, because I thought that it was established that it hadn’t been found…only because 9news said this:

View attachment 325235

Then I was reading the Age article by John Silvester, which confirmed they hadn’t found it.

Any thoughts?

I am fairly certain the drone has not been found yet (or at least the LE aren't saying it has been found) as I can't remember anywhere here on WS discussing the location of where they found it... I could be wrong though ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Donald Redfield