Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 March 2020 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
ive always thought it seemed like a controlled fire, and thought it was to spare the truck, possibly because a familiar person was hoping to take over ownership later on, but now realize its was probably to stop the truck exploding and causing a bush fire and drawing attention, i think i read carol and russells phones were destroyed in the fire too?

They said that all devices capable of recording are missing, and mentioned phones and drone.

Despite extensive investigations, detectives have not been able to determine how the fire was lit, why an experienced camper put flammable gas bottles inside a tent, why their phones and drone were missing, and why there were no sleeping bags.
Best mate of camper who disappeared with his secret lover fears they were murdered after stumbling upon illegal activity

They said that all devices capable of recording are missing, and mentioned phones and drone.

Despite extensive investigations, detectives have not been able to determine how the fire was lit, why an experienced camper put flammable gas bottles inside a tent, why their phones and drone were missing, and why there were no sleeping bags.
Best mate of camper who disappeared with his secret lover fears they were murdered after stumbling upon illegal activity
A year later and DM still maps Wonnangatta about 80km north of where it is. It's not in line with the straight section of the NSW/Vic border. Look, for a rough idea, draw a line between Albury and Traralgan and take the mid point.

A year later and DM still maps Wonnangatta about 80km north of where it is. It's not in line with the straight section of the NSW/Vic border. Look, for a rough idea, draw a line between Albury and Traralgan and take the mid point.

Yes, you're right. DM has it up nearish Beechworth, not even in the valley.

I'm new to this thread and I will admit I haven't read it from the start yet but could this murder be for financial purposes? By all accounts Russell was wealthy and I'm just wondering if someone that would financially benefit from his demise knew where he would be? His affair was long standing but discreet...perhaps his wife who knew passed that information on to the wrong person and an argument ensued then it got violent? I wonder if Carol features in Russell's will in any way? I think the hunter theory is plausible but a hunter could just shoot them on the spot and never be linked again. Why the burning of the campaite and locking the car and taking bank cards (trying to make it appear a robbery but the cards were never used), drones, sleeping bags and phones? As well as Russell and Carol. Seems a huge length to go to get back at someone for filming something on their drone. Surely if they were armed they could jst threaten and take the drone from Russell? It jst seems so bizarre such a remote place with 2 elderly people were that much of a threat they needed to be silenced by a hunter. I know random murders happen but they aren't very common.

By all accounts the wife knew of this long standing affair. I don't know a woman on earth that would just accept their husband was being unfaithful without feeling resentment. The fact that she also didn't leave Russell to me is also bizarre.

I'm lost with what the real motive could be.

Last edited:
yes, youre right i does seem really extreme for a hunter or possibly a group, they could have just taken the drone and their cellphones if it was just a privacy issue,
and if they were shot by accident, why the fire! just drag the bodies out in their sleeping bags and bury them, there must have been killers dna in the camp site they needed to burn out?

My present view of the motive is a foiled attempt at theft in which Russell in addition to manhandling the thief said some hurtful words. The person came back when the pair were asleep and killed them. But I don't understand the timing. Removal of the bodies suggests a vehicle but it's hard to imagine any driving into or out of the valley at night. Likewise a fire during the hours of darkness risks notice (if there were others in the valley), but the site was cold by afternoon.

My present view of the motive is a foiled attempt at theft in which Russell in addition to manhandling the thief said some hurtful words. The person came back when the pair were asleep and killed them. But I don't understand the timing. Removal of the bodies suggests a vehicle but it's hard to imagine any driving into or out of the valley at night. Likewise a fire during the hours of darkness risks notice (if there were others in the valley), but the site was cold by afternoon.

Ambushing them in their sleep could explain the burnt-out campsite and missing sleeping bags. The missing car keys most likely being in Russell's pocket or in the tent besides where he layed.
I wonder if the car & its doors were checked for fingerprints.

My thoughts are somewhat similar in that there was a confrontation and that it got out of hand. I think perhaps guns were involved, am presuming that Russell had some form of gun and was defending himself and Carol. I think someone shot at someone in the heat of the confrontation and it ended up in witnesses having to be disposed of and evidence burned.

MOO

Why the burning of the campaite and locking the car and taking bank cards (trying to make it appear a robbery but the cards were never used), drones, sleeping bags and phones? As well as Russell and Carol.
SBM

I don't pretend to understand some apparently ruthless person(s) why they did what they did... But they did seem to be in two minds about what they wanted the crime to look like?

As you pointed out, the locked car and missing bank cards were made to look like a robbery. I agree. And then the bodies were removed from the scene, as if to make it look like they had wandered off somewhere. (That was a main theory earlier in the thread too)

They probably had to get out of there quick and hence "inconsistent" in the cover up. But all the while being also very methodical and tidy too IMO.

I'm new to this thread and I will admit I haven't read it from the start yet but could this murder be for financial purposes? By all accounts Russell was wealthy and I'm just wondering if someone that would financially benefit from his demise knew where he would be? His affair was long standing but discreet...perhaps his wife who knew passed that information on to the wrong person and an argument ensued then it got violent? I wonder if Carol features in Russell's will in any way? I think the hunter theory is plausible but a hunter could just shoot them on the spot and never be linked again. Why the burning of the campaite and locking the car and taking bank cards (trying to make it appear a robbery but the cards were never used), drones, sleeping bags and phones? As well as Russell and Carol. Seems a huge length to go to get back at someone for filming something on their drone. Surely if they were armed they could jst threaten and take the drone from Russell? It jst seems so bizarre such a remote place with 2 elderly people were that much of a threat they needed to be silenced by a hunter. I know random murders happen but they aren't very common.

By all accounts the wife knew of this long standing affair. I don't know a woman on earth that would just accept their husband was being unfaithful without feeling resentment. The fact that she also didn't leave Russell to me is also bizarre.

I'm lost with what the real motive could be.
They left their homes on March 19, stayed somewhere overnight, then arrived after a long drive over a very rough track and set up camp in a secluded spot that Russell had scoped out the week earlier. I just can't see someone known to them being able to follow/find them.

There are many long-term marriages where the husband or wife has someone on the side, especially if the thrill is gone but they don't want to divorce because of family or financial reasons. It's a 'don't ask, don't tell' arrangement.

https://7news.com.au/news/missing-p...OccIFt-dTus9_PnxLCSFaZilVekQrKNDOwMCONDGK1j3Q

Drone found during search for missing campers Russell Hill and Carol Clay in Victoria

On Monday, police revealed a drone had been handed in over the long weekend after being found in the search area.

It has not yet known whether the drone that was handed in is the same one Hill had with him.

Detectives from the Missing Persons Squad are now reviewing any vision on the drone that could uncover more clues.

https://7news.com.au/news/missing-p...OccIFt-dTus9_PnxLCSFaZilVekQrKNDOwMCONDGK1j3Q

Drone found during search for missing campers Russell Hill and Carol Clay in Victoria

On Monday, police revealed a drone had been handed in over the long weekend after being found in the search area.

It has not yet known whether the drone that was handed in is the same one Hill had with him.

Detectives from the Missing Persons Squad are now reviewing any vision on the drone that could uncover more clues.
wow! thats a major find if its russells, and if they find fingerprints other than his on it

Police receive item of interest after disappearances of Carol Clay and Russell Hill in Victorian High Country

Today, Victoria Police announced an item of interest had been handed in to police over the weekend, but have not confirmed what that item is.

Detectives receive an item of interest after Victorian High Country disappearances

Finally, there might be a breakthrough.

Imo, they were taken/driven away as hostages, maybe, one was injured, to be then killed at the site of one of the abandoned mine shafts in the area, and disposed of down that shaft.

I thought I recalled someone posting that there were no mine shafts in the area.
There are, but you have to drive to them.

This thread was diverted whenever this subject about the mine shafts was brought up, also, that Russell liked hunters and hunting! False info posted using another Russell Hill fb which still remains up in thread 1, #529 and #530.

A drone has been found in the search zone for two missing campers who vanished in the Victorian Alps almost a year ago.
Police confirmed a drone was handed into them over the weekend.
The drone will be examined to determine whether it is the camper's missing drone and if it has any relevance to the investigation.

Drone found in search zone of missing Victorian campers

Wow, it's a drone! I hope it's theirs and VicPol find the answers.

Oh I remember that. It was a totally different person. Not Russell at all.

This thread was diverted whenever this subject about the mine shafts was brought up, also, that Russell liked hunters and hunting! False info posted using another Russell Hill fb which still remains up in thread 1, #529 and #530.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INSP MORSE