Australia - Russell Hill & Carol Clay Murdered While Camping - Wonnangatta Valley, 2020 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He said it appeared the gun had been “set up for a left-hander”, to which GL could be seen mouthing “”.

He was asked how the removable box magazine, which contained cartridges, was attached to the shotgun. GL shook his head and took notes using his right hand.

Again I wish we had access to the transcripts rather than having to rely on random snippets of evidence quoted by reporters.

IMO, if an expert witness says it appears that a firearm has been "set up for a left hander", I'd expect the prosecutor to say "explain to the jury why you say that" or words to that effect -- especially if it's apparent to the jury that the accused is a right hander.

I dare say many of us have something in our past we chose not to own up to and just let it quietly slide into the darkness of history.
Something of high consequence to others? Something where there is a determined effort to get to the truth?

I ran over a squirrel and felt terrible, but there was no one to apologize to.

No, I don't give murderers a pass and say 'Oh, I've done the same thing'.

JMO

I have a security camera system on my property in rural Victoria.

But then I'm paranoid.
You’re not paranoid. If anyone gets close to my house, driveway, my backyard or front door, they are caught on recorded cameras and I get an alert on my phone immediately….even if I am not home. I consider it a safety issue. That’s why I’m still confused how they bugged the house. Yes, you can listen from anywhere, but there must be a physical device present in the home to hear conversations. IMO

Again I wish we had access to the transcripts rather than having to rely on random snippets of evidence quoted by reporters.

IMO, if an expert witness says it appears that a firearm has been "set up for a left hander", I'd expect the prosecutor to say "explain to the jury why you say that" or words to that effect -- especially if it's apparent to the jury that the accused is a right hander.
The expert witness explained that it had something to do with the part of the gun on top that typically would sit where it was on Greg Lynn's gun, if it were used with left hand.Sorry, I have forgotten terminology.The defence disputed the fact that gun was set up for left hand.Defence showed diagrams & a short video depicting a similar gun being used with right hand.

Last edited:
Saw this as I was watching the other day and was surprised and curious as to what he was doing near Heathmont. Nowhere near Caroline Springs (all the way on the other side of Melbourne).
Looking at the maps, he could have travelled home via the Princess Hwy then turned off onto Eastlink which goes through (near) Rowville & Heathmont, hence the phone pings. I'd guess he's then continued on until Ringwood and then weaved his way to the Western Ring Road via maybe Eltham/Greensborough to his home in Caroline Springs.

My own opinion

For sure.. but hopefully for most of us those somethings don’t involve the wilful destruction of human bodies in order to avoid people finding out we *didn’t* kill them.. ;) :oops:
Given the number of members on this forum and nature of the forum, Chances are there's a few here with a dark past they wilfully ignore or justify to themselves.

The expert witness explained that it had something to do with the part of the gun on top that typically would sit where it was on Greg Lynn's gun, if it were used with left hand.

In that case I'm thinking maybe he was referring to the sight (like a mini telescope) which itself can often be set left or right depending on which eye is dominant.

Can you shoot a shotgun left-handed?
The most basic starting point for shotgun shooting is determining your eye dominance. If your right eye is dominant, you should shoot right-handed; left-eye dominance means you should be shooting lefty.

I don't know if it has been covered already, but airline pilot meets drone enthusiast, pilot advises enthusiast of the rules, enthusiast gets angry (if in character), enthusiast doesn't want his affair publicised, fight ensues, someone accidentally killed, substantial removal of evidence including that of the only remaining witness. It's not a suicide is it?

Among the identifiable burnt remains were 2 left arm bones, 46 pieces of skull, part of a leg bone, ankle bone, dental bridge and a toe.

Forensic anthropologist Blau, told the jury the extent to which the bodies were burnt meant that more than half of the thousands of skeletal remains were unidentifiable.

She said, “Although fragmentary, one of the roles of a forensic anthropologist is to look for duplications. We know humans have a left and right arm. If we find, as we did in this case, two left distal radius bones of the forearm by finding two … [this] indicates at least two individuals present.

I was able to say that the fragments of bone were those of adults. Because of the tiny fragments, we sieved to make sure all … regardless of size ... was recovered. There were over 2000 human skeletal fragments that were examined. They really did vary in size.”

The site was divided into six search areas with experts using hand sieves, as well as an excavator, to examine the scene. The jury was shown more than 50 photographs from the site and later from the mortuary, which she said showed more than 2100 fragments of human bone.

She said that after the bone fragments had been collected at the site, they were bagged and taken to the mortuary where they were placed through a CT scanner for further analysis. “The images that we discussed show some bones of the feet and the phalanges. In some cases, they were complete, even though burnt. However, the majority of other parts of the body … were fragmented”. Of all the fragments recovered, 6 came from teeth, 39 from vertebrae, 35 from hands and 28 from feet. More than 1500 were so tiny she was unable to say where in the body they originated from.

In 2022 she was asked to examine human bone fragments found at Bucks Camp. Five skull fragments, later identified as belonging to CC, were from the side of a human skull and unburnt. Some also contained what appeared to be small bits of metal.

The small pieces of hands, feet and skull that gave away campers’ resting place

I wonder how he built such an intense fire without causing a bushfire? I saw the root ball the fire was supposedly set in and there is a lot of flora around it and with flames getting 5-10m fairly easily It seems an unpredictable way of disposing of a body like if 1 partially rolls out as the wood (fuel) settles, you're left with a limb sticking out of the fire and the heats too intense to approach... is it possible the burning came from something like an acetylene torch he can sit and slowly and methodically burn away anything flammable, torch bones to extreme brittleness then smash them as he did.

Are they able to compare the metal scraps found with CCs remains to bullet casing or the side mirror of a landcruiser. Surely they only need tiny pieces of metal to test these days.

is it possible the burning came from something like an acetylene torch he can sit and slowly and methodically burn away anything flammable, torch bones to extreme brittleness then smash them as he did.

rsbm
i wonder if he ever read The Sands of Windee or the case of Snowy Rowles
if he did, like Rowles, he forgot to destroy any metal fragments with acid
moo

From the January 2023 article that @JudgeJudi posted

On March 1 last year, police allege Lynn took them to a section of Rose River Road and showed them where he disposed of Mr Hill's and Ms Clay's mobile phones.

He allegedly told them he had thrown them into the river.

Lynn allegedly also dumped Mr Hill's car keys in the area along with a knife police allege was used to slay Mr Hill

Forensic officer Mark Gellatly said he was asked to examine inside the canopy of RH’s car for the “possible presence of blood” in February 2022. He found 6 small “apparent” bloodstains and 3 “jelly-like” fatty deposits in a compartment on the passenger side but was unable to confirm the stains were blood. Testing couldn’t confirm the stains were blood, but his conclusion was they “most likely” were. He noted that testing can return a false negative when heat-affected.

Justice Croucher told the jury he had good news and bad news for them.
The bad news is there are no more witnesses available this week.
The good news is they’ll be having a long weekend as the next witness, Det. Sgt. Florence was ”crook”.

The trial has been delayed until Monday but the Judge said the case was running “ahead of schedule”.

https://www.news.com.au/national/co...s/news-story/cc0b1dcbbb143c6b6979f6c4c2fb0d02

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Placeholder25