Australia - Russell Hill & Carol Clay Murdered While Camping - Wonnangatta Valley, 2020 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think that exact image with his headshot was on 60 minutes. They only had a rear shot of the car.

I doubt they would have put out that photo, clearly many would be able to ID him. They already at that point had him well and truly in their sights. Putting a ID on the person wasn’t what the the police wanted.

Gregory Lynn is telling the Supreme Court jury about his discussion with Russell Hill about hunting while they were camping.

Lynn says Hill expressed concern that hunting was happening too close to the camp.

The 12-member jury just heard him say this:

“He said that I was hunting too close to camp.
He had used the drone to take pictures of me, he said that I was hunting too close to camp.
It was just nonsense.
Lynn says he stands by the version of events he told police.

Earlier today, he told the jury that taking Hill and Carol Clay’s mobile phones was an effort to “erase” all links to them.

Lynn says he drove the back roads away from the scene to avoid CCTV and threw the phones in a river.

Gregory Lynn is telling the Supreme Court jury about his discussion with Russell Hill about hunting while they were camping.

Lynn says Hill expressed concern that hunting was happening too close to the camp.

The 12-member jury just heard him say this:

Lynn says he stands by the version of events he told police.

Earlier today, he told the jury that taking Hill and Carol Clay’s mobile phones was an effort to “erase” all links to them.

Lynn says he drove the back roads away from the scene to avoid CCTV and threw the phones in a river.

Isn't his story that he wanted to erase all links to himself....not erase all links to them?
Sounds like he's changed the story a bit, if that’s correct.

Greg Lynn has told the court he believed both Carol Clay and Russell Hill's phones were off when he moved their bodies and some of their belongings after their deaths.

"I was unaware that Russell Hill's phone was on," he told the court.

Telecommunications data from Mr Hill's phone would become a part of the missing persons investigation, eventually leading police to connect the disappearances to Mr Lynn's vehicle.

Police later searched an area near the last data connection to be made from Mr Hill's phone.

Mr Lynn told the court he didn't dispose of the devices at this location, but "somewhere in the Rose River".

The initial questioning from Mr Lynn's lawyer concluded with the former Jetstar pilot saying he is "very sorry" to the families of Carol Clay and Russell Hill for his conduct.

His lawyer, Dermot Dann KC, asked if Mr Lynn had offered to plead guilty to the offence of destruction of evidence "well before this trial".

Mr Lynn confirmed this.

“Yes, I should be punished for it," he said.

He was then asked if he maintained his innocence of both murder and manslaughter. Mr Lynn confirmed this.

"I haven't killed anyone," he said.

One has to stop and consider how someone could have been involved in this horrendous double homicide and aftermath and imagine that they could just wipe it from their memory and carry on with life.

IMO only a psycho is capable of that.

Prosecution lawyer Daniel Porceddu is on his feet for cross-examination.

He firstly took Greg Lynn to a part of his November 2021 police interview where he told investigators that his account would tick "every box".

Mr Porceddu said his account ticked every box because Mr Lynn had destroyed evidence.

"Do you agree or disagree?" he asked.

"I did destroy the evidence," he replied.

Porceddu began his cross-examination by asking Lynn about his experience with firearms and his physical fitness.

He is now putting a number of questions to Lynn:

Porceddu: As a result of that dispute you murdered Mr Hill?”
Lynn: “That’s not true.
Porceddu: As you were murdering Mr Hill you became aware that Mrs Clay say this happen?
Lynn: I didn’t murder Mr Hill.
Porceddu: You took aim at Mrs Clay?
Lynn: Thats not true.
Porceddu: You shot at her multiple times.
Lynn: That’s not true.

Porceddu began his cross-examination by asking Lynn about his experience with firearms and his physical fitness.

He is now putting a number of questions to Lynn:

Porceddu is putting to Lynn the scenario that I suggest is the truth. I hope the jury agrees.

Daniel Porceddu is putting to Greg Lynn the prosecution's account of how the couple was killed after a dispute involving a drone.

Mr Porceddu: I put it to you that as a result, you murdered Mr Hill. What do you say?
Mr Lynn: That's not true.
Mr Porceddu then accused Mr Hill of aiming a weapon at Mrs Clay.
Mr Porceddu: And one of those blasts hit Mrs Clay in the head. What do you say?
Mr Lynn: That's untrue.
Mr Lynn's lawyer, Dermot Dann KC, later objected, arguing some of the questions had no evidentiary basis.

I don’t think that exact image with his headshot was on 60 minutes. They only had a rear shot of the car.

I doubt they would have put out that photo, clearly many would be able to ID him. They already at that point had him well and truly in their sights. Putting a ID on the person wasn’t what the the police wanted.
Yeah, they definitely already knew it was his car, they had the license plate details which is why they had previously visited him at home and already had him under surveillance. I think they wanted to spook him and probably help his family members make some connections if they hadn’t already.. imo

I don't think many Australians have CCTV yet for their properties - nobody i know, anyway.
I guess it depends on the locality. In my experience it's pretty common in higher end estates around Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast in Queensland. They then have Neighbourhood Watch FB pages to flag any incidents of concern and exchange video footage which suprisingly has fantastic sound and picture quality from even the cheaper cameras. Put it this way ... If you take your dog for a walk, you would not dare to put the doggie bags in someone elses bin

No, the thing that is confusing to some now, is recently releasing the photo which shows him face on driving the car.
The one that was used for 60 minutes is taken from a different roadside camera angle and you don't clearly see the driver.

There is no dispute over whether LE knew it was him in the car or not.

I think it's confusing now to maybe those who weren't following the case around the time of the 60 minute programme because they see that second photo all the time now and think it's the one from 60 minutes and wonder why his family couldn't see that it's him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member