Australia - Russell Hill & Carol Clay Murdered While Camping - Wonnangatta Valley, 2020 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I won't be surprised if the prosecution don't have any questions for Lynn. Perhaps one, just for the record. They won't need to risk get tangled up and complicating things.
We'll see but I think the crown prosecutor, Porceddu, will be salivating to get directly at Lynn.

Dann will obviously spend his time feeding Lynn questions favourable to his best outcome and attempt to make him look good and believable to the jury and Porceddu will need to at least balance that out. But he will be hoping for way better than that IMO.

It's extremely rare for someone on trial for murder to take the box and we may see today a good example of why.

We'll see but I think the crown prosecutor, Porceddu, will be salivating to get directly at Lynn.

Dann will obviously spend his time feeding Lynn questions favourable to his best outcome and attempt to make him look good and believable to the jury and Porceddu will need to at least balance that out. But he will be hoping for way better than that IMO.

It's extremely rare for someone on trial for murder to take the box and we may see today a good example of why.
I can't wait to hear how it plays out. With everyone saying he'll be cool as a cucumber, I can't see how being like that would be favourable. Not many people could see two people die, in what I think would be quite gruesome ways to witness and then add the disposal method in which he is not denying and not be affected by that. I think if he is calm it will just make him come across as cold and calculating. IMO

I can't wait to hear how it plays out. With everyone saying he'll be cool as a cucumber, I can't see how being like that would be favourable. Not many people could see two people die, in what I think would be quite gruesome ways to witness and then add the disposal method in which he is not denying and not be affected by that. I think if he is calm it will just make him come across as cold and calculating. IMO
Totally agree. Prosecutors know the questions you least want to be asked and are skilled in delivering them in manner that can leave you nowhere to go.

The jury wouldn't be human if they weren't excited at the prospect today of someone on trial for murder facing the music, right there in front of them and they will be hanging on every word and watching every piece of body language Lynn displays.

Live updates also here:

10.31am

‘We call Mr Lynn’: The defence team’s only witness

10:22
More than 65 people are packed in the public gallery, which overlooks courtroom three, with many standing to get a glimpse of the proceedings.

Downstairs, in the body of the court, are Carol Clay’s daughter and sister, and Russell Hill’s three daughters, seated next to about 20 reporters.

Not sure if this has been mentioned ( probably has ) but here is a podcast on this case in real time

The Missing Campers Trial​

The Missing Campers Trial follows the case of Russell Hill and Carol Clay, and the man accused of murdering them, Gregory Lynn, an accusation he denies.

10.39am Accused killer Gregory Lynn has been sworn in.
Defence barrister Dermot Dann, KC: In that record interview, did you attempt to tell the truth?
Gregory Lynn: At all times
Dermot Dann: When you spoke of how Mrs Clay was shot and died was that the truth?
Gregory Lynn: Yes, it was.
Dermot Dann: You spoke of Mr Hill … that he fell on a knife, and died. Is that the truth?
Gregory Lynn: Yes
Dermot Dann: When you spoke of the order of those events was it true?
Gregory Lynn: Yes
10.43am

The police interview at Sale police station​

By Erin Pearson​

Gregory Lynn is now giving evidence.
He told the court that he remembers being taken to Sale police station for questioning in November 2021.
“It was taken from the cell at Sale police station to another room,” he told the court.
Inside that room, he recalls that a couple of police officers were present and that he was handed a mobile handset.

Also live updates from ABC

Reporting by Jesse Thompson.
Mr Lynn's lawyer, Dermot Dann KC began his questioning by asking Mr Lynn whether answers he gave to police during an interview in November 2021 were truthful.
In the interview, Mr Lynn gave his account of the accidental deaths of Carol Clay and Russell Hill, as well as his decisions to set fire to their campsite and move their bodies afterwards.
"In that record of interview, did you attempt to tell the truth at all times?" Mr Dann KC asked.
"At all times," Mr Lynn replied.

Mr Lynn is being asked to explain the meaning of diagrams he drew for police during his November 2021 interview.

One of the diagrams, shown to the court, roughly depicts the layout of the Bucks Camp campsite where Mr Lynn says the elderly campers were accidentally killed during separate struggles over a knife and a gun.

1717635474392.png

Mr Lynn has given the court a detailed account of what he says was the struggle for control of a shotgun that resulted in the death of Carol Clay.

The former Jetstar pilot's lawyers argue Mrs Clay, semi-crouching near Russell Hill's vehicle, was accidentally shot in the head as Mr Hill and Mr Lynn struggled for control of Mr Lynn's 12-gauge shotgun, which Mr Hill had seized following a dispute.

In the witness stand, Mr Lynn demonstrated where on the weapon his hands were placed as the struggle unfolded.

His lawyers have argued Mr Hill's finger was on the trigger when it accidentally discharged.

"And in the [police] interview do you remember your answers as to the angle of the gun when it discharged?" Mr Lynn's lawyer, Dermot Dann KC, asked.

"It was pointed slightly down," Mr Lynn replied.

The court's attention is turning now to the Wonnangatta Valley campsite where the March 2020 dispute unfolded.

Mr Lynn was shown an aerial view of Bucks camp.

He marked the picture to demonstrate where both he and the elderly couple camped. This photo is an exhibit from earlier in the trial so it hasn't been marked, but it gives you an idea of what the area looked like.

1717636350400.jpeg

Above photo with Lynn's drawings

1717636447184.jpeg

Mr Lynn has described the state of the campsite after Mrs Clay and Mr Hill were killed.

"There was a very large pool of blood on the ground in between [Russell Hill's] landcruiser and the tent," he said.

He told the court he wore a pair of gloves as he moved about the area.

"The scene was horrendous".

11.04am

Gregory Lynn was asked if he was drinking alcohol on the night missing campers Carol Clay and Russell Hill died.

He has just told the jury that he wasn’t drinking and that he hadn’t packed any alcohol for the trip.

“No nothing, I didn’t have any with me,” he said.

He said he also did not see Hill drinking.

11.11am

Gregory Lynn is now explaining to the jury how he went about cleaning the campsite.
He says he used a torch to help clean up after the deaths of Russell Hill and Carol Clay.
“Just looking for bits and pieces,” he says.
“There was blood splatter on the hitching rails and the tray base of the Toyota Landcruiser, there was some on the inside of the canopy, I wiped all of that off.“
He says solar panels leaning against the car also “had quite a lot of blood and other material on them and over the camp furniture which was in front of the tent”.
The camp furniture, he says, was also covered in blood and there was “a very large pool of blood on the ground in between the tent and the Landcruiser where Carol Clay was”.

11.14am

Gregory Lynn says that after the shooting, while cleaning up the crime scene, he found two shotgun casings, “empty 12 gauge shotgun cases, bright red Winchester” which he removed.

This is a picture of the shotgun.

1717636796940.jpeg

Mr Lynn, a hobby deer hunter, has taken the jury through his hunting weapons, telling the court he takes a rifle for longer range targets.

The 12-gauge shotgun, on the other hand, is preferable for "closed, thick forest where it's going to be darker, where I'm not going to be shooting more than 20 or 30 metres", he said. This is the weapon alleged to have accidentally killed Carol Clay.

Mr Lynn said the shotgun is fitted with a laser pointer that "shows you pretty much exactly where the solid slug will fly through the air".

Mr Lynn has told the court Russell Hill probably wasn't intending to shoot him when the retiree, by Mr Lynn's account, seized his 12-gauge shotgun after a dispute between the two men, prompting the fatal struggle that resulted in the death of Carol Clay.

"I don't know if he intended to shoot me or not. Probably not," he said.

"I think he was probably just trying to keep the shotgun for himself and scare me off."

Gregory Lynn is shown a picture of the side of Russell Hill’s car with the missing side mirror.
“I decided that the mirror had to go. That was evidence of what had happened here. I wanted to disappear … I wanted all trace of what had happened to be gone with me and I ripped that mirror right off the mount.”

Mr Lynn has told the court he would have led police to the remote site where he dumped and burned Carol Hill and Russell Hill's bodies if investigators "really couldn't find it".

He was asked why he didn't want to go there.

"Memories of the whole time are very hard," he said.

Earlier during his evidence, Mr Lynn was asked about shotgun remnants found at the Bucks Camp scene by police almost two years after the deaths.

The fragment was later found to have Carol Clay's DNA on it.

lcimg-b220712a-f6fb-4435-a3bd-3c444fc26ee0.jpeg
A metal fragment recovered from Bucks Camp in March 2022(Supplied: Supreme Court of Victoria)
In the aftermath of the deadly struggle, Mr Lynn said he cleaned up the campsite.

He seemed surprised to hear police had located the fragment.

"It wasn't there. It must have been moved there," he said.

Mr Lynn said he'd seen a photo of the fragment and said its position on the top of the soil was "just unnatural"

The next part of Mr Lynn's evidence turned to an episode of 60 Minutes broadcast in November 2021.
The episode, which focused on the police investigation into the disappearance of Russell Hill and Carol Clay, featured a photo of Greg Lynn's vehicle captured on roadside cameras he drove out of the high country.
lcimg-07e764dd-56d7-43c2-ab5b-46c87c875fce.jpeg
Mr Lynn's vehicle was captured on CCTV as he drove out of the area.(Supplied: Supreme Court of Victoria)
He said his family found the likeness to his vehicle "quite comical".
"The car in the images did look a lot like my car. It was my car," he said.
The former Jetstar pilot explained that he later removed the vehicle's awning to "make it look less like my car".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sidsloth