Australia - Russell Hill & Carol Clay Murdered While Camping - Wonnangatta Valley, 2020 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
GL and his wife were secretly recorded watching a 60 Minutes episode about the missing campers.

A clip was played to the jury in which a journalist reported police had eliminated every vehicle that was in the Wonnangatta Valley at the time the pair vanished except for a dark blue Nissan Patrol, described as the “strongest lead” in the hunt for clues. A picture of the car and trailer the police were seeking to identify was included. Melanie Lynn commented to GL that the footage “really looked like” his car and trailer.

Days later, he was captured on a CCTV camera removing a black awning from the passenger side of his car.

Det. S/C Florence said a listening device had been placed in GL’s home and that the 60 Minutes program was aired as part of a police strategy.

He said a number of things GL told police during his interview were correct, i.e. where suspected blood spatter was found on RH’s car, how a site at Bucks Camp was set up, what he burned in the campsite fire, his path entering and leaving the valley, and where their human remains were located. He said GL answered every question asked of him and had marked maps to assist in locating where the bodies were taken to and burned. Dann asked if everything GL said was true to which Florence replied, “No”.

Missing campers’ accused killer Gregory Lynn set to give evidence

GL and his wife were secretly recorded watching a 60 Minutes episode about the missing campers.

A clip was played to the jury in which a journalist reported police had eliminated every vehicle that was in the Wonnangatta Valley at the time the pair vanished except for a dark blue Nissan Patrol, described as the “strongest lead” in the hunt for clues. A picture of the car and trailer the police were seeking to identify was included. Melanie Lynn commented to GL that the footage “really looked like” his car and trailer.

Days later, he was captured on a CCTV camera removing a black awning from the passenger side of his car.

Det. S/C Florence said a listening device had been placed in GL’s home and that the 60 Minutes program was aired as part of a police strategy.

He said a number of things GL told police during his interview were correct, i.e. where suspected blood spatter was found on RH’s car, how a site at Bucks Camp was set up, what he burned in the campsite fire, his path entering and leaving the valley, and where their human remains were located. He said GL answered every question asked of him and had marked maps to assist in locating where the bodies were taken to and burned. Dann asked if everything GL said was true to which Florence replied, “No”.

Missing campers’ accused killer Gregory Lynn set to give evidence
I think it was clarified that the part that was untrue was that it was a stump rather than a tree.

And no witnesses have been called to attest to his good character and high morals. No-one. Not a single family member, friend or workmate. No one at all to say that he could never have done such a thing.

I think that happens (if it happens) at the sentencing hearing. Not during the trial.

When an accused person is sentenced after a guilty plea or being found guilty, they must attend Court for sentencing. A character reference is essential and may influence the sentence imposed by the sentencing Judge or Magistrate. During the sentencing process, the Defendant’s lawyer presents written character references to the prosecution and the Magistrate or Judge.

I think that happens (if it happens) at the sentencing hearing. Not during the trial.

When an accused person is sentenced after a guilty plea or being found guilty, they must attend Court for sentencing. A character reference is essential and may influence the sentence imposed by the sentencing Judge or Magistrate. During the sentencing process, the Defendant’s lawyer presents written character references to the prosecution and the Magistrate or Judge.

yeah its during sentencing that the court will hear about the person's background, their prospects for rehabilitation, any mental illness or cognitive issues, past traumas etc.

queensland article but I think its broadly relevant in Australia AFAIK Mitigation: How the court sets a sentence in Queensland - Clarity Law

If the defence were confident about how the case was going they would be even more insistent than normal that he didn't taking the stand. No, this can only be seen as an act of desperation.
Off to court tomorrow to see him testify so should be interesting. I’m guessing he will be very calm, collected exercising his skills as a professional Pilot, knows how to handle himself with compliancy and under extreme pressure. Hmm bet he hasn’t experienced this in the Simulator !!

Spoken like someone whos never accidentally killed 2 people, IMO

Obviously we all like to think we'd do the right thing, but what we like to think about ourselves and what we actually do are often 2 very different things, especially in intense situations. I'm not excusing Lynn's actions, but I can certainly see how it's possible this happened by accident.

I've worked nightclub security for years and seen all sorts of violent incidents, I've been stabbed, ive seen colleagues and patrons stabbed and serioisly injured with all sorts of weapons and people can react very strangely when they seriously injure someone, whether its accidentally or on purpose.

Self preservation is one of our most powerful instincts.
Look I totally agree and I get self preservation. As an old aviation worker you are taught not to react, follow a check list, compliant of regulations for the best outcome. These Pilots go thru rigorous training ….and then to become a Check and Trainer with Jetstar ….and THEN to go onto Qatar in Doha as I believe as a Captain…..it just doesn’t pass the “pub test”. MOO this goes way past preservation.

I agree.Dann is an excellent silk.. he has to have a solid reasonfor putting Lynn on the stand.Lynn won't buckle under cross examination, and I'm sure the whole purpose is to improve his image t

I agree.Dann is an excellent silk.. he has to have a solid reasonfor putting Lynn on the stand.Lynn won't buckle under cross examination, and I'm sure the whole purpose is to improve his image to jury.

I think the solid reason is that there is no-one else to put on the stand. Without GL, Dann would be presenting no defence at all and going straight to closing arguments.

I don't think that is a way to try to win a trial. The jury needs to hear what the defence says happened, or didn't happen, or could have happened, via witness testimony.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member