Australia - Russell Hill & Carol Clay Murdered While Camping - Wonnangatta Valley, 2020 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Accused murderer Greg Lynn told police he wanted to make the deaths of missing campers Russell Hill and Carol Clay "just go away" so he could get on with his life.

Accused murderer Greg Lynn told police he wanted to make the deaths of missing campers Russell Hill and Carol Clay "just go away" so he could get on with his life.
Having listened to the recorded interview, it seems to me that the press has this slightly out of context.He did say he wished it would all go away, but was talking in regard to why he covered up the deaths instead of reporting it.However it is clear that he was only concerned with himself.

Spoken like a true psychopath, IMO.
Spoken like someone whos never accidentally killed 2 people, IMO

Obviously we all like to think we'd do the right thing, but what we like to think about ourselves and what we actually do are often 2 very different things, especially in intense situations. I'm not excusing Lynn's actions, but I can certainly see how it's possible this happened by accident.

I've worked nightclub security for years and seen all sorts of violent incidents, I've been stabbed, ive seen colleagues and patrons stabbed and serioisly injured with all sorts of weapons and people can react very strangely when they seriously injure someone, whether its accidentally or on purpose.

Self preservation is one of our most powerful instincts.

Last edited:
Spoken like someone whos never accidentally killed 2 people, IMO

Obviously we all like to think we'd do the right thing, but what we like to think about ourselves and what we actually do are often 2 very different things, especially in intense situations. I'm not excusing Lynn's actions, but I can certainly see how it's possible this happened by accident.

I've worked nightclub security for years and seen all sorts of violent incidents, I've been stabbed, ive seen colleagues and patrons stabbed and serioisly injured with all sorts of weapons and people can react very strangely when they seriously injure someone, whether its accidentally or on purpose.

Self preservation is one of our most powerful instincts.
You know the one thing that gives me pause in all of this, and makes me lean towards a manslaughter situation vs murder, is that after everything Lynn could have never revealed a thing, knowing that they’d likely never have enough evidence for a conviction in that case. He could have gone to his grave without giving this story or telling them where to find the remains etc.

It would have been very uncomfortable for him to live with I’m sure, but I think if he was actually psychopathic we still wouldn’t have any definitive answers on what happened to Russell and Carol. The police needed him to confirm their suspicions and he did. No genuine psychopath would do that, unless perhaps it was to brag about how clever they were imo

The interview also captured Mr Lynn using a computer to show police the remote site where he dumped the couple's bodies, later returning on an overnight trip to set fire to their remains.

More details from GL's video of police interview.

“I shouldn’t have wound him up with the music ... I should have had everything locked away.”
That's an interesting admission.

“I just guess that, um, in my attempt to hide it I thought I might be able to move on and continue with my life, my family and my career.”

Mr Hill then died after falling on a knife as he advanced on Mr Lynn.

If you're approaching someone with a knife, presumably you would be holding the handle. I just can't see how you could fall on it.

“All licensed shooters are familiar with the requirement to keep firearms safely stored and to prevent them falling into the hands of unlicensed people.

Each state and territory have their own unique Firearms Act and Regulations but with the same general underlying theme: You will be charged with an offence (breach of the Act) if you allow your firearm to be lost or stolen and/or it comes into the possession of an unlicensed person.

Victoria

Firearms should be transported in a padded cover or hard case, unloaded and preferably rendered inoperable. While being transported, firearms and ammunition should be kept out of sight and stored in separate receptacles that are either secured to the inside of your vehicle or in a lockable component of your vehicle and ammunition should be stored separately from the firearms in a part of the vehicle not readily accessible by an unauthorised person. A lockable glovebox would suffice provided the key to the glovebox is kept securely by the holder of the firearm licence and cannot be accessed by persons unauthorised to possess ammunition or firearms.

https://www.ssaa.org.au/?ss_news=guns-ammo-and-automobiles-a-breakdown-of-firearms-transportation

Regardless of GL’s version, had he not broken the rules, RH and CC might still be alive.

More details from GL's video of police interview.

“I shouldn’t have wound him up with the music ... I should have had everything locked away.”
That's an interesting admission.

“I just guess that, um, in my attempt to hide it I thought I might be able to move on and continue with my life, my family and my career.”

Mr Hill then died after falling on a knife as he advanced on Mr Lynn.

If you're approaching someone with a knife, presumably you would be holding the handle. I just can't see how you could fall on it.
If you're being attacked you grab the arm or wrist and try to point the knife in any direction other than pointy end at you, (dont actually do this if someone has a knife, run away, but this is what GL likely did) if you fall over backwards bringing the other bloke with you it could result in them being stabbed.

When the body starts falling forwards you enter a state of reflex action or postural response where your brain prioritises putting your hands out to stop the impact above anything else. Someone falling backwards can maintain better control of their hands as the brain reacts differently and you aim to land on your backside or curl your back to absorb the impact and head away from impact since your arms don't bend the right way to stop it. This means whoever falls backwards can maintain control of a wrist or hand position than the person falling forwards who is automatically not resisting that control but trying to outstretch their arms. Of course this carries the risk if the pointy end is facing you that the persons weight impact on top of you drives the knife into you instead.

Most people would carry a knife outstretched pointy end up and in close quarters trying to put your hands out to prevent a fall would still result in it pointing inwards. If angled down it would penetrate GL. If angled sideways it would likely hit GL, angle up and possibly penetrate RH.

If you can't run, get something like a bar stool or chair as they have multiple uses, it can create distance, act as a shield and as a weapon to swing at them.

After all this time, I may actually believe GLs version of events. Only thing I query is RH grabbing the firearm from the car then firing shots in the air. From what MM has said it doesn't seem like something RH would do. It seems incredibly risky to me, to piss someone off out there with firearms, the only reason I could think is he wasn't just upset about 'hunting to close to camp' but so seriously concerned and/or enraged about potentially being shot by accident by GL so took the firearm either for evidence or to help him and carols safety... that all being said, if he felt that unsafe from someone with firearms would he not simply move camp far away? Perhaps that would have been very difficult. I'm not much of a camper myself.

Taking a firearm out of someone's car for me would basically be a declaration of war and I'd expect retaliation as they don't know who I am or what I'm capable of with a firearm. I'm sure RH would have considered that...

Last edited:

Lynn told police once he realised they were both dead, he used his experience as an airline pilot to formulate a plan to "save" himself.

"I was finding a really happy place in the world with family and career and my personal life outside of work, so this for me was a disaster," he said in his police interview.

Lynn said he decided covering up his connection to their deaths was the best course of action, so he loaded their bodies onto his trailer and burnt the campsite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dreamingman73