Australia - Russell Hill & Carol Clay Murdered While Camping - Wonnangatta Valley, 2020 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Correct but a good defence does everything they possibly can to discredit any evidence provided by the prosecution and at the same time paint the defendant in the best possible light with the jury. Dann failed to do this as evidenced by the guilty verdict.

The role of an expert witness is to provide relevant and impartial evidence in their area of expertise. Dann disputed the evidence given by prosecutions ballistics expert, Paul Griffiths, yet chose not to call an expert for the Defence. IMO that's quite odd and it may be that he doesn't believe his Lynn's version.

Counsel's first duty is to the court. If a client tells him that he's innocent, he has to act on that, even if he disbelieves him. It then becomes his duty make the prosecution prove their case beyond reasonable doubt and ensure the client gets a fair trial and the shortest sentence possible. That's what I believe has happened here.

Last edited:
The role of an expert witness is to provide relevant and impartial evidence in their area of expertise. Dann disputed the evidence given by prosecutions ballistics expert, Paul Griffiths, yet chose not to call an expert for the Defence. IMO that's quite odd and it may be that he doesn't believe his Lynn's version.

Counsel's first duty is to the court. If a client tells him that he's innocent, he has to act on that, even if he disbelieves him. It then becomes his duty make the prosecution prove their case beyond reasonable doubt and ensure the client gets a fair trial and the shortest sentence possible. That's what I believe has happened here.

Dann being the highly proficient KC that he is, probably recognised the ballistic evidence was the crux of the case. There was none for Russell Hill and only the slug found two years later with Carol Clay’s DNA detected.

If Dann could discredit that part of the prosecution’s case it’s very probable Lynn gets off on both charges. Pretty solid legal strategy IMO.

Greg Lynn’s hold on his Caroline Springs home is in jeopardy following his murder conviction. Authorities are now reportedly poised to sell the house to compensate Carol Clay’s family

I would have thought they'd wait to see if the Defence are going to appeal the conviction, and if so, wait to see the outcome.

As I understand, the ballistics expert is part of the Police investigation.

Another example of the Police investigation is the search for the mobile phones that were thrown in the river.

You can imagine if the Police had found the phones this would have been very helpful for Greg's defence!

Though, the defence don't conduct their own investigation of the river that the phones were thrown into.

Read in that article that Lynn is unhappy in jail and has complained that the living conditions are not up to scratch.

Lynn should just be thankfully he is living. Unfortunately, the same can't be said of Russell Hill and Carol Clay.

Read in that article that Lynn is unhappy in jail and has complained that the living conditions are not up to scratch.

Lynn should just be thankfully he is living. Unfortunately, the same can't be said of Russell Hill and Carol Clay.

He better learn to get used to it. It’s not supposed to be the Shangri-La

It is believed one inmate who knows Clay’s family asked another inmate to attack Lynn.
It seems GL has had human faeces thrown at him.

Um, is it wrong of me to have laughed when I read it?

I think under normal circumstances I would be horrified and totally grossed out, but in this instance ............ :cool:

It seems GL has had human faeces thrown at him.

Um, is it wrong of me to have laughed when I read it?

I think under normal circumstances I would be horrified and totally grossed out, but in this instance ............ :cool:
Thanks for that. I'm eating dinner on my lap in front of the computer.

Anyway, welcome to the big house Greg.

A few possibilities that have been playing on me.

What if the loud music was actually to mask any yells for help (or other human voices) in case anybody else was in earshot of the terror that was about to unfold? And as many have suggested, perhaps those multiple shots "into the air" weren't actually into the air?

Also if there's a tussle involving a gun at the front of the vehicle, and I'm taking cover, I'd probably be more likely to be aiming for the opposite end of the vehicle rather than next to it... Add the guy rope/tight area between the toilet and vehicle and I'm not fully convinced that the tussle that we've heard about happened the way it was described, or that it even happened at all. Was there an area of disturbed earth marked there as evidence? I'd expect some feet kicking around, or maybe in this case an unusually smoothed out area to hide footprints.

Obviously just speculating... but just another take on the theme that some truthful elements could have been massaged into something else to sound less sinister. Suspect due to the carefully destroyed evidence nobody will ever know for sure.

A few possibilities that have been playing on me.

What if the loud music was actually to mask any yells for help (or other human voices) in case anybody else was in earshot of the terror that was about to unfold? And as many have suggested, perhaps those multiple shots "into the air" weren't actually into the air?

Also if there's a tussle involving a gun at the front of the vehicle, and I'm taking cover, I'd probably be more likely to be aiming for the opposite end of the vehicle rather than next to it... Add the guy rope/tight area between the toilet and vehicle and I'm not fully convinced that the tussle that we've heard about happened the way it was described, or that it even happened at all. Was there an area of disturbed earth marked there as evidence? I'd expect some feet kicking around, or maybe in this case an unusually smoothed out area to hide footprints.

Obviously just speculating... but just another take on the theme that some truthful elements could have been massaged into something else to sound less sinister. Suspect due to the carefully destroyed evidence nobody will ever know for sure.
You raise some good points and there is absolutely no good reason why we should believe anything Lynn says that he can't prove.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snathan
Back