Found Deceased Australia - Samuel Thompson, 22, Albion, Qld, 7 March 2017 *Arrests* #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just found some of the detail odd, Twinkletoes...such as the washing......that's what I am referring to.

Not knocking them at all, btw. My heart breaks for his family. I'm just agreeing that IMO there was something a little odd about a few of the things they said in this context.

But like you said, they were trying to show that all was normal. Your interpretation of it helped me understand that.

I don't find those comments odd - I think they were trying to paint a picture of a son admiring his mum's weight loss and just being a normal son living out of home dropping washing off - all natural behaviour - with nothing out of the ordinary during their last visit by him JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes i agree. But depending on the severity of the crime and what is proven in court as well. There is a lot we don't know yet, but as long as LE have an airtight case for the murder charges on both RB & AD, then we will find out as the case moves along i would imagine.
If premeditation is proven, then that would go to proving intent. I'm sure police have accessed phone records, etc. and have a pretty good idea of what's what.
Not talking about this case, but in general.
I think they should just say
You did ... you get 30yrs
You did ... you get 10yrs
You did ... you get life (die in prison of old age or murder or what ever)

Also o/t but when someone murders someone in prison they don't get an added murder charge persay, they get murder but it may only add a few years to there current sentence and sometimes it's to be done concurrently meaning at the same time meaning they could really not get any extra time. That's **** as.

Sam got a life sentence
Ad and rb have a chance to have a life outside of jail

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Also o/t but when someone murders someone in prison they don't get an added murder charge persay, they get murder but it may only add a few years to there current sentence and sometimes it's to be done concurrently meaning at the same time meaning they could really not get any extra time. That's **** as.

Sam got a life sentence

Untl they get out, their lives might well be a living hell
moo

I don't find those comments odd - I think they were trying to paint a picture of a son admiring his mum's weight loss and just being a normal son living out of home dropping washing off - all natural behaviour - with nothing out of the ordinary during their last visit by him JMO

I think Sam was a good son, and as his parents have stated a lover and not a fighter. And agree with what you say. Just a normal young man that is much loved by his friends & family.

Does anyone know in Australia if at a committal hearing that any perp. has had more charges added at the hearing from what they were initially charged with?
I'm not sure about CH's, so am wondering if that can sometimes happen? I think i recall LE in this case saying something about they didn't expect any other charges on the two, but don't know if i'm recalling that correctly?

Untl they get out, their lives might well be a living hell
moo
Imo australian jails are amazing. Better then most places. They have good food, air-conditioned and depending who but can have jobs earn money go out on the farm. Yes they are locked away from family but in all honesty it's not as tho they get bread and water.

I'd prefer to go to jail then some old folks homes

Does anyone know in Australia if at a committal hearing that any perp. has had more charges added at the hearing from what they were initially charged with?
I'm not sure about CH's, so am wondering if that can sometimes happen? I think i recall LE in this case saying something about they didn't expect any other charges on the two, but don't know if i'm recalling that correctly?
I dont see why they can't add more if they are found to have broken more.

But I think it has to be related to the case.

Like if they murder sam they get done for that but if they are found to have robbed a bank it will be trialed by another court hearing separate I think - could be wrong tho

Like if they murder sam they get done for that but if they are found to have robbed a bank it will be trialed by another court hearing separate I think - could be wrong tho

Thanks for clarifying and i thought they could add more if more are found. I did a bit of a search yesterday and found an Australian case of a double murder with drug involvement, so if that is proven to be the case with ST's murder, then those charges would be added i should think. But so far nothing about drugs. They could still be investigating that aspect if relevent to this case?

Thanks for clarifying and i thought they could add more if more are found. I did a bit of a search yesterday and found an Australian case of a double murder with drug involvement, so if that is proven to be the case with ST's murder, then those charges would be added i should think. But so far nothing about drugs. They could still be investigating that aspect if relevent to this case?
Yeah i think in a case like that it would just be added.

I've been all over the FB timeline and created a timeline of posts and info.
IMO there is more to all of this that meets the eye, especially with the number of crimes on the QPS crime site at the family home of ST.
that was not the only incident that night.
Out of respect for family I have not shared it publicly, but I've had one sleuther look at it and we see a few things that are super stand out items that point to this going downhill quickly. ST liked to post on FB and you can joint the dots on some posts with incidents.
Hoping that if AD and RB have any courtesy for the family they will speak up.

Exactly...I feel it's only the tip of the iceberg!

I believe charges can be added but they wouldn't be sprung on the accused by surprise at the committal hearing. He and his lawyers would have to have a chance to consider the charges, see the evidence and decide how to plead.

I believe charges can be added but they wouldn't be sprung on the accused by surprise at the committal hearing. He and his lawyers would have to have a chance to consider the charges, see the evidence and decide how to plead.

Ok. Thanks.
I guess if the burden isn't on the state to prove motive, they are required to only prove Intent.
If as has been stated about premed., if that is proven that would prove intent. That's my understanding of it anyway.

Sam got a life sentence

That "You did X you get Y years" is kind of how it works. Then the judge may add or subtract years, for a variety of factors and offences. The head sentence is usually the recommended/published standard and then it can vary from there. Sentencing reports are fascinating reading and give excellent insight into what goes into the sentence, which is pretty much all you hear on the news: the number of years.

Do you have a link for the info about not receiving a second "long" sentence for a prison murder? Not doubting but interested to read it. Krantz got 22 years for his prison murder but perhaps he was not in jail for murder already: I'll need to read up on that. I don't think they gave Nixon anything extra as he's already never getting out.

Only a very small percentage of criminals are marked never for release. It's surprisingly difficult to get tagged for. Usually it has to be an exceptionally outrageous murder to land the never ever ever getting out card.

It's a slippery slope in some ways, I suppose. A person may feel if you murder someone you should never get out. The next person might feel, if you're never getting out why I am paying taxes to keep you alive: we should have capital punishment. The next person might say: but what if it turns out we were wrong and you didn't do it and we've executed you. And around and around it goes. It's a complex and emotion laden area.

Imo australian jails are amazing. Better then most places. They have good food, air-conditioned and depending who but can have jobs earn money go out on the farm. Yes they are locked away from family but in all honesty it's not as tho they get bread and water.

I'd prefer to go to jail then some old folks homes

Yep! And we make the old folks, not the taxpayers pay for theirs!! I used to go to Woodford Prison as part of my work a few years back and it's amazing the workshops they have there. I also went to Helena Jones a number of times. It freaked me out: seeing toddlers next to their criminal mothers, knowing to line up for muster.

If charges are going to be modified, it's usually after the committal hearing, is my understanding.

This depends on the type of committal hearing also. There are three types of committals and it's unlikely charges would be added at some of those types, due to the inclusion of discovery statements and witnesses being called as part of the committal. Of course, at times witness statements/subsequent investigations may lead to further charges if they are part of the same event. There are varied reasons people request different types of committals but it can impact on things further down the line (like sentencing in a guilty plea).

In Qld all committals start in the magistrates court and then the matter, if committed to stand trial, is moved to the District or Supreme Court if appropriate.

Yep! And we make the old folks, not the taxpayers pay for theirs!! I used to go to Woodford Prison as part of my work a few years back and it's amazing the workshops they have there. I also went to Helena Jones a number of times. It freaked me out: seeing toddlers next to their criminal mothers, knowing to line up for muster.

But I also think it's important not to idealise prison. Sure, it has food and air-con and workshops etc....but it's still a cruddy place to live. And life is tough in there. Nobody is relaxed in a prison. The emotional toll of that alone is huge.

JMO

But I also think it's important not to idealise prison. Sure, it has food and air-con and workshops etc....but it's still a cruddy place to live. And life is tough in there. Nobody is relaxed in a prison. The emotional toll of that alone is huge.

JMO

What these boys have allegedly done will take away most of the very best years of their lives.

Their parents will grow very old. They will not have the opportunity to be youngish, proud parents. They will miss the joys of their siblings weddings/children. The spark will be removed from their lives as they are forced to follow the strict regimentation and hierarchy of prison life.

They will be captive. Not free. They will exist. Which, as you say Anais, brings huge emotional toll with it.

I am not justifying a not-life sentence when a life is taken. That is unequal, therefore not entirely fair.
But life will not be easy for these boys, or for their families .... the pain and loss they have now brought to their own families, alone, will keep their minds in a state of daily unrest. imo

I think you have to be the lowest low-life - like a cold, cunning, child sexual offences pervert, a destroyer of innocence, a creator of immense pain - to not feel some angst with what you have done to the people around you.

JMO

Oh Agree 100%. It's no party. For some it provides a certain order and security I think though.

I actually think The work shops are a huge positive. Some of the stuff they were making was amazing. And very transferable if they get out.

The food is not gourmet by any standard, but certainly nutritionally sound. We were offered it for lunch as you can eat free if you choose. I never did.

It's funny the things you notice in there though. A colleague and I went there for an open day, where the inmates filed through collecting pamphlets etc. My colleague mentioned that a lot of the men seemed to be swaying all over Shirvington style and it was then explained to us, jocks are something they pay for out of their limited funds, so not always a priority. I'd have never thought of that. Small things like that, at least to me, showed how different it is to outside. Priorities/needs etc just totally different. I mean, I've never met anyone on the outside who really considered if they NEEDED foundation garments.

I've also been to the facility at Maryborough. That was something else. Once was enough there for me. Wowsers.

Oh Agree 100%. It's no party. For some it provides a certain order and security I think though.

I actually think The work shops are a huge positive. Some of the stuff they were making was amazing. And very transferable if they get out.

The food is not gourmet by any standard, but certainly nutritionally sound. We were offered it for lunch as you can eat free if you choose. I never did.

It's funny the things you notice in there though. A colleague and I went there for an open day, where the inmates filed through collecting pamphlets etc. My colleague mentioned that a lot of the men seemed to be swaying all over Shirvington style and it was then explained to us, jocks are something they pay for out of their limited funds, so not always a priority. I'd have never thought of that. Small things like that, at least to me, showed how different it is to outside. Priorities/needs etc just totally different. I mean, I've never met anyone on the outside who really considered if they NEEDED foundation garments.

I've also been to the facility at Maryborough. That was something else. Once was enough there for me. Wowsers.

Foundation garments!! :floorlaugh:

I went into Casuarina Prison in WA as an undergrad (a group of us were working on a joint forensic psych thesis)......oh man, I was quaking. We were all young females and they took us into the Protective Custody unit....David Birnie was there....it was very daunting. A few months earlier a female teacher had been taken hostage for six hours in a storage cupboard and raped repeatedly.

I've never forgotten the vibe in there. And the harshness of some of the prison guards. It was an eye-opener.

Throwing it out there: does anyone think AD particularly will seek a judge only trial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member