Found Deceased AUSTRALIA - Shyanne-Lee Tatnell, 14, last seen on Henry Street in Launceston, Tasmania, 30 April 2023 *arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Dozens of items found during an extensive search for missing Tasmanian teenager Shyanne-Lee Tatnell have no connection to the 14-year-old, forensic testing has revealed.

The results come following a public vigil that was held in Launceston’s City Park yesterday, where concerned residents gathered to support the Tatnell family.

Police are continuing to investigate the teenagers disappearance, more than a month after she was last seen and continue to ask anyone who may have information to come forward.

1685966081400.png

1685966151872.png
''Shyanne-Lee Tatnell was last seen crossing the Henry St bridge over the North Esk River in Launceston between 8.30 and 9pm on Sunday, April 30
The case is still being treated as a missing persons investigation, with Inspector Johnston saying there has been no 'credible information' leading in the direction of it being a homicide.

On Sunday around 100 residents gathered for a public vigil of Shyanne in Launceston's City Park.

Launceston's Acting Mayor Matthew Garwood spoke along with Shyanne's mother, Bobbi-Lee Ketchell.

Anyone with information about the case should contact Tasmanian police or Crime Stoppers.''

''Monday, 5 June 2023 - 11:40 am.
Police investigations are ongoing to locate Shyanne-Lee Tatnell who has been missing since Sunday 30 April.

“Police investigations are ongoing to locate Shyanne-Lee Tatnell who has not been seen or heard from for over four weeks,” said Inspector Nathan Johnston from Northern CIB.

“In recent weeks police seized a number of items during a search and submitted them for forensic testing. The results have been received and there is no forensic link between these items and Shyanne-Lee.

“Police will continue to follow avenues of enquiry and investigate every piece of information received – I urge anyone with information, no matter how small, to please come forward and contact us.

“There were several vehicles of interest which were in the area of Henry Street, travelling towards Launceston, around 9pm on 30 April when Shyanne-Lee was last seen. Of these vehicles police have identified all but two. If you can assist police to identify these two vehicles, please come forward. It is possible the driver and any occupants in these vehicles may have seen something that can assist police to locate Shyanne-Lee or determine her movements.”

Police are seeking assistance to identify two silver vehicles depicted in CCTV footage.

“If Shyanne-Lee is out there, I remind her that she is not in any trouble, please contact us or family – we all want to know she is ok.”

Anyone with information in relation to the vehicles or drivers is urged to contact Launceston CIB on 131 444 or report anonymously to Crime Stoppers through crimestopperstas.com.au

Shyanne-Lee was last seen in the vicinity of Henry Street, Launceston, near the North Esk River, around 8:30pm on Sunday 30 April.

Shyanne-Lee is described as around 160cm tall, slim build with blonde hair. At the time she was last seen, she was wearing a cream coloured hooded jumper with dark coloured writing on the chest and shoulder area. She was also wearing bike shorts.''

Police have revealed a major twist after a 14-year-old girl disappeared more than a month ago.

Shyanne-Lee Tatnell, 14, was last seen in Launceston at around 8.30pm on April 30, and has not been sighted since.

Tasmania Police Inspector Nathan Johnston on Monday said forensic testing of items seized over the past four weeks have failed to give investigators any clue of the girl’s whereabouts.

[...]

The case is still being treated as a missing persons, with no indication it has turned into a homicide investigation

[...]

A mother say her family is 'broken' not knowing what has happened to her missing 14-year-old daughter who has still not been found after seven weeks.

The family of Tasmanian girl Shyanne-Lee Tatnell has made yet another plea for answers after she disappeared without a trace while walking to see a friend on April 30.

'She's my baby and I desperately want her back,' her mother Bobbi-Lee Ketchell told A Current Affair.

The teen had moved in with her grandmother due to friction with her mother in the family home in the town of Burnie, before moving onto a youth centre in Launceston.

She set off from the centre along the North Esk River on the night on April 30, but never made it to her destination.

Her mother revealed the heartbreaking last conversation the pair had before her disappearance, with Ms Ketchell urging her daughter not to break her curfew after being grounded.

'She got upset … we had a little bit of a disagreement... and then I said, 'I love you',' Ms Ketchell said.

Her daughter never said 'I love you back'.

Her grandmother has described not knowing where the young girl is as torture.

'You don't just disappear off the face off the earth without something being found, some piece of clothing or footwear or phone,' Hubbard said.

The family believe that their daughter accepted a lift from someone or was even 'forced into a vehicle'.

[...]

The article says it's sad news, but in a sense, it's good news that the item's don't belong to her, because it means there's a chance she may still be alive and well (hopefully).
I hope they find this poor young lady soon.

The article says it's sad news, but in a sense, it's good news that the item's don't belong to her, because it means there's a chance she may still be alive and well (hopefully).
I hope they find this poor young lady soon.
Yeah, that was about four weeks back.

I think at this point I just hope they find her body. I think she's in the river.

Sorry, I know that's a downer, and if she turns up alive in Melbourne or something I'll be as happy as anyone here, but that's just how I think this went down.

MOO

I think at this point I just hope they find her body. I think she's in the river.

Sorry, I know that's a downer, and if she turns up alive in Melbourne or something I'll be as happy as anyone here, but that's just how I think this went down.

MOO
I hope you're wrong but I have a feeling you might be right.. :(

Police release CCTV of missing Tasmanian teen, continue search for mystery car

Tasmania Police have released CCTV footage showing the last known movements of teenager Shyanne-Lee Tatnell, who has now been missing for two months.
Thanks for posting this link with CCTV I hadn’t seen it. Does it look like Shyanne-Lee stops and vomits as she is walking?
She may be in the river but it also seems suspicious that one of the cars that was in the area hasn’t been identified. We are talking Tassie and Launceston3BB5E94D-D075-463E-A7C1-E904E5C9941E.jpeg and the road does look like it would most likely be used by locals. Shyanne-Lee was headed into a deserted stretch when she was last sighted according to linked article.

I do have hope that Shyanne-Lee is hiding out with friends due to living situation. Sadly looking much less likely but still a possibility for me.

What is your idea around how she ended up in the river?

MOO

''Police have conducted searches in the North Esk River near the Henry Street Bridge but have uncovered no trace of the teenager.

Of the vehicles recorded by CCTV in the area about 9pm that night, only a silver sedan still hasn't been identified.''
1688132316089.png
'If you were the driver of a silver vehicle in the area at the time, or you know who was, please come forward,' Detective Acting Inspector Andrew Hanson said in a statement.

Det Hanson said officers continued to investigate every piece of information received to find Shyanne-Lee.

Information can be provided direct to investigators at Launceston CIB on 131 444 or anonymously through Crime Stopper Tasmania at on 1800 333 000.''

What is your idea around how she ended up in the river?
I don't know.

I don't have a firm speculation on that.

I know there has been mention of mental health stuff, but that doesn't necessarily mean that caused her disappearance. It's too reductive, I think, to assume 'if this, then that'. I was also a teen with diagnosed mental health conditions, and I would occasionally wander far and wide after school without telling my family what I was going to do - I'd just call home to be picked up if the buses had finished. I didn't do anything like jump in a river, obviously, because I'm here, but I had dark days and expressed dark thoughts. If I'd gone missing while walking towards my local river alone, at night, I'd have looked for me in the river, too. But they would have found me at the library, if before 8pm, and probably a friend's place if later. The big concern here is that she has not been found with a friend or in another town in two months. It could be that the simplest explanation, in this case, is the correct one. We just don't have enough evidence either way. I'm sure the discovery that the objects they found weren't related to Shyanne-Lee was a blow to the investigation.

They're obviously interested in this car they haven't been able to trace. Whether that's simply because they think the occupant might be a witness, or whether they think it possible she got into the car, there isn't enough information to know. It's entirely possible they don't know, and they have much more information available than we do.

So yeah, I think she's in the river, but I don't have any firm, grounded-in-known-facts reason why. I just think it's where she was seen heading, and if she did go into the river, it's a good reason why she hasn't been found elsewhere, deceased or alive. Whether she went into the river of her own volition, by accident or misadventure, or by deliberate violence from another, I don't know. I'm sorry, I'm sure you wanted me to have an answer like 'I think this happened, and here are the reasons why!' but I just don't. It's gut feeling and my opinion, not anything based on a clear solid pile of publicly verified facts.

MOO

Last edited:

MOO
I'm local, I think that's what everyone is hoping now, which is pretty grim. I remember once walking over that bridge just before the covid lockdown, it was deserted then, and a bit too quiet, and that was during the day. There is lots of uni housing nearby, so I think there would normally be some people around most of the time. I would so love to be wrong!

MOO

Agreed. Seems like the obvious answer but I don't read about much searching of the water.

Search and rescue exercise Flinders Island ongoing for Shyanne-Lee Tatnell

Monday, 3 July 2023 - 9:29 am. rbbm.
''As part of the ongoing search for Shyanne-Lee Tatnell the Westpac Rescue Helicopter will be conducting an aerial search of the North Esk River today.

“Police remain committed to finding 14-year-old Shyanne-Lee Tatnell and the aerial search today will cover the area around the Henry Street Bridge where Shyanne-Lee was last seen around 8.30pm on 30 April,” said Detective Acting Inspector Andrew Hanson from Northern CIB.

Shyanne-Lee is described as around 160cm tall, slim build with blonde hair. At the time she was last seen, she was wearing a cream coloured hooded jumper with dark coloured writing on the chest and shoulder area. She was also wearing bike shorts.

Anyone with information that would assist police to locate Shyanne-Lee or determine her movements is asked to contact police on 131 444 or report anonymously through Crime Stoppers Tasmania. ''

Last edited:
1688397260776.png
Police have released CCTV footage revealing ‘s Shyanne-Lee Tatnell’s last known movements. Credit: Tasmania Police
1688397306098.png
A silver sedan, possibly a Holden Commodore with a spoiler, has been named as a vehicle of interest. Credit: AAP
rbbm
''In the footage, the 14-year-old is seen heading east along Henry St in Launceston, towards Ravenswood, about 8.30pm on Sunday, April 30.''

''Shyanne-Lee is seen in the footage wearing a large, cream-coloured hooded jumper as she walks past the front gates of a business before stopping and hunching over for a few seconds.''

''She then continues walking down the road, briefly looking over her shoulder as she heads towards a bridge over the North Esk River.''

''Police say they are yet to identify two vehicles of interest, seen on CCTV footage driving near Henry St towards Launceston about the same time Shyanne-Lee was last seen.

“If you were the driver of a silver vehicle in the area at the time, or you know who was, please come forward. You may have information that can assist us to locate Shyanne-Lee or determine her movements,” Hanson said.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killjoy02
Back