GUILTY Australia - Sophie Collombet, 21, found dead in Kurilpa Park, Brisbane, 27 March 2014

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
More on Thursday nights for students:
$3 basics @ the Vic on Thursdays
127 Edward Street, Brisbane to 5am

$10 jugs beer, $10 vodka Monster jugs $8 Jager bombs @ Irish Murphys Thursday
175 George St, Brisbane to 3am

$3 basics $4 vodka mother $7 snakebite jugs @ down under Thursday open til late
308 Edward Street, Brisbane http://my247.com.au/brisbane/Down-Under-Bar-Grill.618
^ this seems to be most likely IMO

$3 basics $6 Jager bombs, $9 jugs @ beachhouse (garden city) 9pm-close Thurs to 2am

More on Thursday nights for students:
$3 basics @ the Vic on Thursdays
$10 jugs beer, $10 vodka Monster jugs $8 Jager bombs @ Irish Murphys Thursday
$3 basics $4 vodka mother $7 snakebite jugs @ down under Thursday
$3 basics $6 Jager bombs, $9 jugs @ beachhouse (garden city) 9pm-close Thurs

I wonder who she was out with that night? And who she shared a flat with?

Sophie would have had to cross the Brisbane River, after walking through Kurilpa Park, to reach her apartment in Quay Street and the 'Go Between Bridge' (pedestrian path) appears to me to be the only option?. Sadly she didn't make it that far. :(

Walking directions from Kurilpa Park across the river to Sophie's apartment complex.
http://goo.gl/maps/4eiR0

Using the Go Between Bridge is easy. You have the option to drive, walk or cycle over the Go Between Bridge.
Cycling and walking: The Go Between Bridge has two 3.6 metre wide paths. One is a cycle path (bikeway) and the other is a pedestrian path. Both side also have a viewing platform mid-way across the bridge.
http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/traf...nks/go-between-bridge/using-go-between-bridge

So very sad. Poor Sophie. I hope women in that area take extra precautions until the killer is caught.

Griffith University says students and staff are deeply saddened by the murder of French business student Sophie Collombet in Brisbane.

The naked body of the 21-year-old was found by a passer-by in a rotunda at Kurilpa Park near the William Jolly Bridge last Friday morning.

Ms Collombet was a business student at Griffith University.

Her body was formally identified yesterday, and police said she suffered extensive head injuries in what they described as a "brutal" attack.

The university's pro-vice chancellor Sarah Todd says the university is shocked at the loss of one of its own.

"Obviously we're incredibly saddened - we only found out yesterday that it was one of our students," she said.

"The loss of Sophie has affected staff, it's affected students, it's affected people who knew her closely, but also other students who identify just very strongly about a young woman, their age, doing the same thing as them."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/22324725...redibly-saddened-about-french-students-death/

I hope the Police have some leads on Sophie's murder.

I am disturbed as to why poor Sophie was left in the state she was in and that the attack was so brutal.
Why take her clothes and bag? Was there evidence on them?
I am thinking it was more than one person - it takes some time and effort to remove a persons clothes - and where she was found is so exposed and public.
I wondered if Sophie was moved to the park table after her attack.
Could she have been attacked by someone/s in a vehicle?

This is such a distressing case.

This is bad, whoever did this left her on full display. That to me means that he also wanted to show his work to the people using the park as the sun came up - joggers etc. Reminds me a of the Yorkshire Ripper or Hillside Stranglers. She wasn't only left naked and all her clothing and possessions taken, but she was left on a table. Her poor friends and family, what an awful way for her to die.

This is bad, whoever did this left her on full display. That to me means that he also wanted to show his work to the people using the park as the sun came up - joggers etc. Reminds me a of the Yorkshire Ripper or Hillside Stranglers. She wasn't only left naked and all her clothing and possessions taken, but she was left on a table. Her poor friends and family, what an awful way for her to die.

Yes, this makes me feel that was what was happening too.
Poor Sophie :(

“a number of very, very promising leads” :please:
With police now in the sixth day of their investigation into the murder of a 21 year old French student in a Brisbane park, Commissioner Stewart called for anyone with information to come forward.

While he didn't provide a specific update on the investigation, he said police were following “a number of very, very promising leads”.
Brisbane safe despite recent student slayings: police commissioner
Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...ommissioner-20140402-35y8d.html#ixzz2xho957Sc

“a number of very, very promising leads” :please:

Either someone is about to be visited or has already been visited, if a lead is very promising, it will get attention. More power to the QPS when chasing murder suspects....they need to get this one for us....

I hope the Police have some leads on Sophie's murder.

I am disturbed as to why poor Sophie was left in the state she was in and that the attack was so brutal.
Why take her clothes and bag? Was there evidence on them?
I am thinking it was more than one person - it takes some time and effort to remove a persons clothes - and where she was found is so exposed and public.
I wondered if Sophie was moved to the park table after her attack.

Could she have been attacked by someone/s in a vehicle?

This is such a distressing case.

BBM I've been wondering the same things, FigTree. :seeya:

I find it hard to believe she was stripped there on the spot without it attracting attention.....it does indeed take time and effort to remove someone's clothes, as you said.

And I agree with Mrs G Norris - it sounds like the body was positioned there on the table. Surely an impulsive killer would leave her where she fell after he attacked her? An organised serial killer on the other hand would leave her in a pose or 'on display' as a mark of their 'work'. Just a thought.....(and an awful one, I know:facepalm:)

BBM I've been wondering the same things, FigTree. :seeya:

I find it hard to believe she was stripped there on the spot without it attracting attention.....it does indeed take time and effort to remove someone's clothes, as you said.

And I agree with Mrs G Norris - it sounds like the body was positioned there on the table. Surely an impulsive killer would leave her where she fell after he attacked her? An organised serial killer on the other hand would leave her in a pose or 'on display' as a mark of their 'work'. Just a thought.....(and an awful one, I know:facepalm:)

Another aspect I find very strange is that they left Sophie with her jewelry on. She had a very beautiful diamond ring, and her other 4 pieces of silver jewelry - none which were taken.
The items that were taken from Sophie (bag, clothes, shoes?) were personal, but not as personal as her jewelry.
Does that say something about the attacker? Motive, Age, Gender?

It also surprises me that if Sophie met her demise there, that no-one heard anything - the attack in progress or screams.

:(

I had a thought re: clothing .. maybe the killer just took them as he tidied up the scene, then all that is there to see by his morning audience is the naked body itself and none of the 'mess' of the struggle, the crime or her personal things. He may have just liked the aesthetics of leaving her naked on the table with nothing around her?

I had a thought re: clothing .. maybe the killer just took them as he tidied up the scene, then all that is there to see by his morning audience is the naked body itself and none of the 'mess' of the struggle, the crime or her personal things. He may have just liked the aesthetics of leaving her naked on the table with nothing around her?

I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that she was covered with a blanket but unfortunately, I don't remember where I read it. If she really was covered - where did the blanket come from? It would be a very important item that could help to identify her murderer.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KimberlyJane523
Back