Australia Australia - Tamam Shud Case - Male, Dec 1948

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Pakies was a haunt for the left wing intellectuals and bohemians of Sydney in the 1930s and 1940s. Jestyn's (Jessie Ellen Harkness) pen and ink self portrait (see page 23 of Gerry Feltus' book "The unknown man") shows that she affected the bohemian look. Her gamine hair style would have been quite rare at the time, and would have marked her out as being some sort of eccentric. I haven't got around to checking, but I expect that Jessie's name appears in the Guest book. It might be informative to find out whom she accompanied.

I don't have Feltus' book and can't see the self portrait. Can you post it here??? There are a couple of "Jessie"'s in the book but nothing that necessarily connects to Jessie Harkness. The book has some signatures from the Ballet Russes and a Jessie signs her name close to them but I'm quite surprised that this is on Derek's list of relevant documents and that there has been no discussion about it!

I am fairly sure that the material was removed from the Ancestry site, possibly by threat of legal action? A couple of years ago one could access some information concerning Jessie's relations, but not now. It seems that several of Jessie's relatives were using Ancestry, but the records are all marked private now.

Really? How could they threaten legal action? Aren't the documents available to the public? Do you know if Jessie was born in Australia or England???

Thomas Lawrence Keane's army record is now digitized. It's shocking to me that no one has seen that his signature (on his army documents) - particularly the way he wrote his "T" is virtually identical to the "T" Keane found on the SM's collar! They're identical! I don't think that SM = TK but I do think he had his clothing. I also think that SM is somehow connected to Broken Hill. There were other clothes in a suitcase found on the beach the same night that SM died and a youth from Broken Hill admitted that he had brought them there. Coincidence? Not much imo. It's all available online through TROVE.

One example here:

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/art...="Somerton Man"&searchLimits=l-format=Article

Another here:

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/art...="Somerton Man"&searchLimits=l-format=Article

B Deveson - What say ye?

Also bear in mind that Jessie was also known as Jo.

This is the inscription Jessica apparently wrote in Alf Boxall's copy of the Rubaiyat, complete with her signature JEstyn. Or was it her signature?

Click image to enlarge.
Inscription-with-signature.jpg

http://tomsbytwo.com/2014/01/04/j-e-s-t-y-n/

The discussion at the link above also makes for interesting reading. Peter Bowes does offer thought provoking ideas from time to time and his banter with Nick Spelling is always entertaining. So was there someone by the name of J. Styn?

I've taken some screen caps from the video link below where Alf Boxall was interviewed in the '70's. You'll notice that he quickly flicks to the front of his copy of the Rubaiyat where Jessica's inscription and the drawing of herself can be seen. He doesn't allow the camera to linger over that page but turns back to the same poem in the book.

Click image to enlarge.
Jestyn-image-small.jpg

Further into the video we get a full view of Jessica's inscription. But where is her signature? The JEstyn that appears in the original image is no longer there. Why?

Click image to enlarge.
Jestyn-image-large.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ieczsZRQnu8

I overlayed the page with the JEstyn signature onto the page that doesn't have the signature. I dropped the opacity of the overlay slightly so that the underlying page can be seen. They line up almost perfectly, except for the signature, which is obviously missing from the underlying page. Who removed it and why?

Click image to enlarge.
Inscription-overlay-with-signature.jpg

Well, whoever Jessie really was, (and she seems to have changed her name quite frequently), it's a shame that she didn't come to fully understand the "legacy" she was leaving behind for her children and grand-children. Her "involvement" or otherwise in the case could have been cleared by her but instead, those left behind are unfortunately, left to pick up the pieces.

Sad.

moo

Since we don't know exactly what her involvement was, we can't really judge whether her children would have been better off if she came clean about it. Hushing it all up as much as possible may have been the most sensible thing to do for herself and her family under the circumstances.

Also, about the only "pieces" her grandkids are picking up would be dealing with occasional random idiots who contact them thinking it is a brilliantly original idea and they must have some clues they haven't shared. Australia isn't a place that is into shunning people because they had a possible criminal a few generations back, half of us are descended from convicts and perversely proud of the fact.

While searching about Jestyn I found this page:
http://tamamshud.blogspot.com.br/2013/06/somerton-man-was-jestyn-australian.html

It says that Jestyn's signature may have some sort of "micro writing" on it. What do you guys think?

Just happened to spot your post, had forgotten about this interesting thread.

Welcome to Ws. bcf, thanks for the intriguing post !

If codes interest you, here is one FBI hopes someone can solve..
http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9707996&highlight=code+break#post9707996

Makara, the Jestyn signature was covered up for the documentary... You can see the bit of paper with two small bits of tape that covers it. I could be wrong but I think there is a picture of the verse and signature now that has a slight bit of scuffing where the tape has been removed.

Good question though... why they obscured the already known nickname does not make sense. I had noticed this and made the assumption it was done to protect the identity of Jessie. Could be worth having a look through the doco archived notes again.

Edit - just enlarged your first picture - you can see paper ripped. Guessing that was post interview(?).

n my opinion this man was not a spy or an agent.
Why?

1. Why allow the body to be found if he was? - Australia is a HUGE country that has hundreds of thousands of square miles of completely open territory once you leave the cities. Why not strip the body and dump it in a rural area? Natural predation and decay would have made quick work of it, leaving only a skeleton and far less of a "mystery."
  2. Any agency worth its salt would have created a coverup to explain why the man died even if they were unable to immediately get to the body before the authorities - If they simply stated that the man was an unnamed foreign national and then obtained the remains, there would be speculation about what happened, but not much beyond that. Or they would have possessed the means to dispose of the body themselves and would have done so in a manner that would preclude easy detection.
  3. Taking the tags out of the clothing would lead to more questions being asked than anything. - By sewing fakes labels into the clothing or simply purchasing commonly sold items would itself preclude easy detection. A suit from a "Sears-like" chain store in Australia would be almost impossible to trace as this was the era when credit card transactions were rare and cash was still "king."
  4. An intelligence agency might have made the death appear to be a drowning if they were concerned about the body being found - Think about: Strike the victim in the head and toss them in the ocean. They would probably drown and any injuries would almost certainly be chalked up to either a slip on the rocks or something which occurred post-mortem. And there's the added "benefit" of a staged drowning not leading to the discovery of the body, especially if the currents dragged it out to sea
  5. Leave the body in a hotel or motel - Especially after an alleged poisoning as a death in a motel/hotel, if no evidence of a violent struggle was present, would be chalked up to either natural causes or drug overdose/suicide. leaving the body outside would increase the speculation about who the person was and how they died.

Some ideas:

1. The man was a transient who purchased the clothes from a second-hand store or who was wearing someone else's clothing. He then committed suicide or died of natural causes.
  2. The man was a transient and he stole the clothes - For reasons as yet unknown, he then succumb to an on going illness while traveling alone.
  3. The man knew or believed that he was seriously ill - He then decided to travel around for a while until his death. Unfortunately, this plan worked a little too well.
  4. The man was an illegal immigrant (very difficult thing given Australia's remoteness) who obtained some clothing and then died for reasons not discoverable by medical examiners/coroners of the era
  5. The man was suicidal and went to a remote location and then committed suicide. Somehow before he died, he was able to discard the method he used to do so.

The only 'mystery" here is why this is considered to BE a "mystery."

Makara, the Jestyn signature was covered up for the documentary... You can see the bit of paper with two small bits of tape that covers it. I could be wrong but I think there is a picture of the verse and signature now that has a slight bit of scuffing where the tape has been removed.

Good question though... why they obscured the already known nickname does not make sense. I had noticed this and made the assumption it was done to protect the identity of Jessie. Could be worth having a look through the doco archived notes again.

Edit - just enlarged your first picture - you can see paper ripped. Guessing that was post interview(?).

When did the whole "Jestyn" thing come out publicly? I don't think it had before this interview. They were still covering up.

Not sure but maybe.

Pink Panther you are right... The name Jestyn came out (publicly) when the interview did as they call her Jestyn in it.

What do you think?

Aren't the "t"'s identical???

moo

Snipped for space. The T's look very similar. I've noticed both S have little strokes at the ends (I can't explain this very well) and the M's have a slight slant to the right-hand side.

Some other letters quite different... I've closed those tabs already now but the A's certainly look different, for example.

It could be due to writing in a different medium, using an ink pen vs. a pencil. The situations being different, where in one the person writting the code could have been in a hurry and less concern about making it neat and tidy, and in the other the signature being neat since it was more important and formal. If a sufficient amount of time passed between the two then that could be why as well.

However, I wonder if maybe writting T's that way was simply common in the area.

The point that has been made by Makara, about the wound and scars, is a good one. By this point, IMO if there is any link between the mystery man and Thomas Keane, that's maybe that Mr. Keane's belongings ended up in the possession of someone else, changing hands once or maybe even more until the mystery man acquired them. Maybe this was done for practical reasons like a consignment shop or donated or discarded items, maybe it was a case of fake identity.

:twocents:

Pakies was a haunt for the left wing intellectuals and bohemians of Sydney in the 1930s and 1940s. Jestyn's (Jessie Ellen Harkness) pen and ink self portrait (see page 23 of Gerry Feltus' book "The unknown man") shows that she affected the bohemian look. Her gamine hair style would have been quite rare at the time, and would have marked her out as being some sort of eccentric. I haven't got around to checking, but I expect that Jessie's name appears in the Guest book. It might be informative to find out whom she accompanied.

Interesting!

To me the most significant part was that it was a hangout for left-wing intellectuals. At the time many left-wing people sympathized with the USSR. Perhaps if (note the if) there was a spy connection, it may have been used as a recruiting ground - or at the very least as a place to find supporters for people working 'undercover'.

Sorry for the two posts in a row the last one was getting too long.

Why allow the body to be found if he was?

If someone killed him to send a message to someone else then it would have made no sense to leave the body where it couldn't be found. If it was a suicide for any reasons it could have just been a matter of him choosing a place he considered to be pleasant and where he knew he would be found and given a funeral.

Even in the case of a suicide it could been chosen to convey a message if his body was found... say, if spies were involved, if there was a romantic problem, even if he was mentally ill and suffering from delusions of getting 'revenge' on the world.

Any agency worth its salt would have created a coverup to explain why the man died even if they were unable to immediately get to the body before the authorities - If they simply stated that the man was an unnamed foreign national and then obtained the remains, there would be speculation about what happened, but not much beyond that. Or they would have possessed the means to dispose of the body themselves and would have done so in a manner that would preclude easy detection.

I disagree.

Even in the case of foreign nationals an autopsy may still be required by local laws.

Remember also that this happened in 1948, methods of transportation were different from today. An autopsy would be easier to perform in the country where someone was found, than after days of the body being sent somewhere else, maybe even in less than optimal conditions.

From what I understand, even if deaths that were not at all suspicious, when someone died abroad they were often buried in the country where they died, due to the difficulty of transportation and the costs involved.

An embassy claiming that a man nobody knows who he is is actually one of their nationals... how would they know? Why would they be claiming the body? That would entail much more talk, much more attention on them. As it is now, nobody knows who did it.

Of course an agency could have been concerned. But if they were following the case, no leads came up then, maybe it was best to not intervene than draw attention.

Taking the tags out of the clothing would lead to more questions being asked than anything.

I agree. However, maybe whoever did it decided that simply removing the labels was quick and easy... it would raise questions, as it did, but we're certainly not sure of who did it and why, so ultimately the missing labels weren't such a big lead. Maybe they even expected it to be taken as a sign of someone poor buying old clothes.

An intelligence agency might have made the death appear to be a drowning if they were concerned about the body being found

Again if they wanted to send a message then throwing the body in the sea would risk it not being found and no message being sent.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that even a presumed drowning would still involve an autopsy.

The logistics of using a poison, if one was used, by luring the mystery man into a trap, then someone picking up the body and disposing of it could cause extra trouble and be a risk for the perp(s).

Leave the body in a hotel or motel - Especially after an alleged poisoning as a death in a motel/hotel, if no evidence of a violent struggle was present, would be chalked up to either natural causes or drug overdose/suicide. leaving the body outside would increase the speculation about who the person was and how they died.

Good point, but again, if he was killed then factors like why he was killed and how it would be most effective and less risky for the perps may have counted.

Your points about other options are good, but some of the things IMO count against them:

- The poison the man used (if any) was not detected. It's true that technology wasn't so advanced in the 1940s but they knew the technology they had. IMO if a common poison had been used it would have been detected. A regular person committing suicide, especially someone who was poor, wouldn't be getting some special and unusual poison to do it IMO. It would be more likely to get something that could be readily sold over-the-counter for household usage OR which could be procured with a prescription... and something that wasn't so costly. The local coroner would like have seen many such cases in his time and would have been able to figure it out.

- An illegal immigrant (a stowaway for example) could be possible and could explain how he knew Jessie as I've read here she taught English to immigrants. Someone who was simply travelling would have documents somewhere on him, in a hotel, in his luggage. Someone who was just travelling would IMO leave more tracks.

- It's possible he died of natural causes, I've read some things about the autopsy which have been posted here, but IMO it would have had to be something unusual that the doctors wouldn't be used to and which would cause them to consider him healthy.

None of those scenarios completely explain the code found on him, the missing book found in someone else's car from which the piece of paper he had was torn, the list goes on.

If there weren't so many unexplained things about this that aren't common, people wouldn't consider it a mystery.

Sorry for the two posts in a row the last one was getting too long.

If someone killed him to send a message to someone else then it would have made no sense to leave the body where it couldn't be found. If it was a suicide for any reasons it could have just been a matter of him choosing a place he considered to be pleasant and where he knew he would be found and given a funeral.

Even in the case of a suicide it could been chosen to convey a message if his body was found... say, if spies were involved, if there was a romantic problem, even if he was mentally ill and suffering from delusions of getting 'revenge' on the world.

I disagree.

Even in the case of foreign nationals an autopsy may still be required by local laws.

Remember also that this happened in 1948, methods of transportation were different from today. An autopsy would be easier to perform in the country where someone was found, than after days of the body being sent somewhere else, maybe even in less than optimal conditions.

From what I understand, even if deaths that were not at all suspicious, when someone died abroad they were often buried in the country where they died, due to the difficulty of transportation and the costs involved.

An embassy claiming that a man nobody knows who he is is actually one of their nationals... how would they know? Why would they be claiming the body? That would entail much more talk, much more attention on them. As it is now, nobody knows who did it.

Of course an agency could have been concerned. But if they were following the case, no leads came up then, maybe it was best to not intervene than draw attention.

I agree. However, maybe whoever did it decided that simply removing the labels was quick and easy... it would raise questions, as it did, but we're certainly not sure of who did it and why, so ultimately the missing labels weren't such a big lead. Maybe they even expected it to be taken as a sign of someone poor buying old clothes.

Again if they wanted to send a message then throwing the body in the sea would risk it not being found and no message being sent.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that even a presumed drowning would still involve an autopsy.

The logistics of using a poison, if one was used, by luring the mystery man into a trap, then someone picking up the body and disposing of it could cause extra trouble and be a risk for the perp(s).

Good point, but again, if he was killed then factors like why he was killed and how it would be most effective and less risky for the perps may have counted.

Your points about other options are good, but some of the things IMO count against them:

- The poison the man used (if any) was not detected. It's true that technology wasn't so advanced in the 1940s but they knew the technology they had. IMO if a common poison had been used it would have been detected. A regular person committing suicide, especially someone who was poor, wouldn't be getting some special and unusual poison to do it IMO. It would be more likely to get something that could be readily sold over-the-counter for household usage OR which could be procured with a prescription... and something that wasn't so costly. The local coroner would like have seen many such cases in his time and would have been able to figure it out.

- An illegal immigrant (a stowaway for example) could be possible and could explain how he knew Jessie as I've read here she taught English to immigrants. Someone who was simply travelling would have documents somewhere on him, in a hotel, in his luggage. Someone who was just travelling would IMO leave more tracks.

- It's possible he died of natural causes, I've read some things about the autopsy which have been posted here, but IMO it would have had to be something unusual that the doctors wouldn't be used to and which would cause them to consider him healthy.

None of those scenarios completely explain the code found on him, the missing book found in someone else's car from which the piece of paper he had was torn, the list goes on.

If there weren't so many unexplained things about this that aren't common, people wouldn't consider it a mystery.

Several things:

1. In the 1940s, national security interests would have trumped any local laws. Australia had a intelligence paractice called a "D notice" which was often used by their intelligence service and that of the UK to prevent publication or discussion of issues involve national interest.
  2. Using a poison in the era before spectrographic analysis was anything other than theory was very easy. Especially if the poison in question was something exotic.
  3. A drowning, even with a head injury, would still be treated as a drowning unless there was some reason not to treat it as such.
  4. "Send a message to whom?" The man was found in a remote area of Australia. Not near the atomic test site; not near a military installation. Criminals would have buried the body or killed in a manner that would be clear that gangsters did it (shooting,stabbing,garroting,etc)
  5. Removing labels is unnecessary to prevent identification. It's actually spy novel nonsense. Unless clothes are tailored (or bespoke) labels would only tell where the clothes MAY have been purchased, not who purchased them.
  6. A stowaway would be near other stowaways/illegal immigrants,especially in the 1940s. Australia had a "White Australia" policy at the time. While they attempted to "import" more ethnic Europeans to the nation, immigration was a sensitive subject then (as it is now, although for different reasons)
  7. The suitcase and the "code" in the book (if that indeed what it is) may have nothing to do with the body which was found. The passage of time and the lack of leads may have allowed law enforcement and tellers of the tale to conflate the two when they may have nothing to do with the other.

Ultimately, exhuming the body and performing a modern autopsy is the only solution for this "mystery", if it indeed is one. That could determine if this was a murder or not.

If it was not a murder, then the only mystery is the man's identity. Given that people were displaced around the world in the wake of the Second World War, that may be a mystery which will remain unsolved.

Many go-rounds with this case I have had, and have finally concluded that, if not much ado about nothing is being made, then much ado about very little. Interesting components but nothing at all concrete enough to make even a "solving" of the mystery worth a great deal really, it seems.

Hi Makara,
Charles Mikkelsen, passenger, is reported killed in the following;
See: http://www.warsailors.com/raidervictims/atlantis.html

I have also confirmed the details with one of Charles' relatives in Norway. All of the details match with the Charles Mikkelsen who disembarked from Tancred at Port Adelaide 9th January 1932. His mother was given a small sum to compensate her for Charles' death.

Did you confirm that he was a "shoemaker"???

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/49261406?searchTerm=&searchLimits=l-publictag=Tamam+Shud

Webslueths kindly gave me access to their site in order I could to do comparison with the photo of Robin Thomson against one I have of a young man in a wetsuit standing next to me on a Jetty. I'm about 8 years old. Also pictured in the Jetty photo are my older brother and sister, our Mother, and another teenager in the background whom we can name, however this other lads' identity has always remained a mystery, and something I'd forgotten about over the years. On 25/1/14 I was replacing photos back into my album when the Jetty photo caught my attention, and taking a closer look I noticed the unusual shape of the lads ear. On the day this photo was taken our father made a big fuss of this lad and his birthday either coming up or just gone. What my father said combined with the ear shape and this lads age would also fit that of Robin Thomson. I've since made my own assessment via access to websleuths photo and while the angle of the shots differ, I believe they are likely the same person pictured in both photos.
In mid-2010 I came forward with a photo I.D. issued in 1918 which after examination by Maciej Henneberg (Adelaide University) proved a match to the deceased man found on Somerton Beach 1/12/48.
The Jetty photo was taken in around 1963. I have recently emailed an explanation and photo scan to Adelaide Major Crime...and I've also asked websleuths if they might help the process of identity further, by posting the Jetty photo on this site... That way others can make their own assessment.
Thanks !

Hello Xlamb and welcome to Websleuths. I've seen your comments on a few blogs online and it's nice to have you with us.

I don't think it has been proven that the photo you found of H. C. Reynolds was in fact the Somerton Man. From what I've read, some of H.C. Reynolds' family members were located and so the mystery of who the Somerton Man is still remains.

I posted the screen captures of Robin Thomson some time back. I would very much like to see the photo of the boy you referred to. You will need to post the photo yourself to this forum. Websleuths won't do it for you as far as I know.

The photo needs to have been uploaded onto your computer or an image host site.

In a new message window click on the Go Advanced option.

Click image to enlarge.
Go-Advanced.jpg

In the next window click on the paperclip icon.

Click image to enlarge.
Paperclip-icon.jpg

In the next window click on the Browse button to locate the photo if it's on your computer or click Load if it is on an image hosting site. if you are uploading the photo from your computer, browse to where it is stored and select it. The file name of the photo will be displayed. Click Load. The attachment link will now be showing and you can close the Manage Attachments window.

Click image to enlarge.
Manage-Attachments.jpg

You won't immediately see the attachment displayed in the message box. You now have one of two options. You can simply start typing your message, post it to the forum and the attachment will be displayed as a clickable thumbnail image under your message, as mine are above. The second option is to click within the message box, click on the paperclip icon again and then click on the image link. It will appear in you message box.

Hope this helps.

Webslueths kindly gave me access to their site in order I could to do comparison with the photo of Robin Thomson against one I have of a young man in a wetsuit standing next to me on a Jetty. I'm about 8 years old. Also pictured in the Jetty photo are my older brother and sister, our Mother, and another teenager in the background whom we can name, however this other lads' identity has always remained a mystery, and something I'd forgotten about over the years. On 25/1/14 I was replacing photos back into my album when the Jetty photo caught my attention, and taking a closer look I noticed the unusual shape of the lads ear. On the day this photo was taken our father made a big fuss of this lad and his birthday either coming up or just gone. What my father said combined with the ear shape and this lads age would also fit that of Robin Thomson. I've since made my own assessment via access to websleuths photo and while the angle of the shots differ, I believe they are likely the same person pictured in both photos.
In mid-2010 I came forward with a photo I.D. issued in 1918 which after examination by Maciej Henneberg (Adelaide University) proved a match to the deceased man found on Somerton Beach 1/12/48.
The Jetty photo was taken in around 1963. I have recently emailed an explanation and photo scan to Adelaide Major Crime...and I've also asked websleuths if they might help the process of identity further, by posting the Jetty photo on this site... That way others can make their own assessment.
Thanks !

I appreciate the welcome Makara and micheloneonly. It's always a bit scary adding something new to discussions. I came under some viscous attacks on other sites over the 1918 photo I.D. emergence and Maciejs' positive findings, so I was a little hesitant to bring the Jetty photo forward for an identification check for Robin. Thankyou also Makara for posting Robin Thomson's' photo as I'd have been lost without it. I was only able to find him in stage makeup elsewhere. Although it's now been brought to the attention of Police, they take their own time with such things, and I'd rather a more speedy result. As Robin has living relatives they too would be able to do their own evaluation. The person assisting me at Websleuths was going to find a clever 'someone' to post the photo I emailed them (as I'm still pretty hopeless at this technology). Hopefully it will be up on line soon. Thanks!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back