Australia Australia - Tamam Shud Case - Male, Dec 1948

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Makara; Thankyou for following up the query raised in DA's AMA. I've passed what you've found in relation to H.C. Reynolds from Southampton to 'Tombsbytwo' should someone there find time to look deeper into Asturias' passenger lists. It's always possible other significant names like 'Keane' could turn up in the process, but as always it's seems a matter of patiently digging through the haystacks. Derek Abbott has no interest in discussing nor exploring the Reynolds I.D. and he makes that very clear when there's any mention of the I.D. match from contributors. His only focus is to have SM exhumed and to run his DNA experiment.

The cipher mysteries blog popped up as a collaboration between DA and Pelling and created to dismiss the positive comparative facial match between SM and the photo on the H.C. Reynolds I.D.. They are yet to produce a photo for their Tasmanian chap Horace Charles Reynolds to confirm it's the same man as pictured on the I.D..
The Attorney General has again refused DA's exhumation request...whereas Adelaide Major Crime have not dismissed the Reynolds I.D. from their inquiries and these matters are ongoing. Some things aren't always straight forward. They're not always quite what you expect. They may be more complex than you imagine... however progress is being made, and in turn, will be reported. That process is in the hands of others, so I'm waiting to see what happens next, just like every one else.

I urge everyone to read author Graham Woods recent article in The California Sunday Magazine 7/6/15...titled
"The Lost Man".
You'll need to read the whole piece to it's conclusion to understand how we've all been played, and the conflict of interests that have shaped the Somerton Man investigations...and Oh what a wicked web we've weaved Prof. Abbott!

I urge everyone to read author Graham Woods recent article in The California Sunday Magazine 7/6/15...titled
"The Lost Man".
You'll need to read the whole piece to it's conclusion to understand how we've all been played, and the conflict of interests that have shaped the Somerton Man investigations...and Oh what a wicked web we've weaved Prof. Abbott!

Thanks Xlamb. Here is the link to that article. https://stories.californiasunday.com/2015-06-07/somerton-man/

Thank you Makara...One day I might learn how to put up links!
While the California Sunday Magazine revelations regarding Prof. Abbotts family arrangement might seem a quirky, almost comical offshoot to the whole SM story, it's revealed as an audacious deception to those closer to SM investigations. Examining time lines, whether it's Mr. Hennebergs positive comparative findings for the Reynolds I.D. done in 2010, then followed by Prof. Abbotts immediate dismissals , or the 1963 Jetty Photo and likeness of the unidentified chap in the wet suit to Robin Thomson and Abbotts response "it's not him"... there's never been any further evidence to back up Prof. Abbotts claims. There's only been his words. There was no photo of Horace Charles Reynolds / died 1953 supplied as proof, nor would DA give us a photo of Robin aged 16 for comparison to the Jetty photo... And let's not forget both parties / but not as Mr. and Mrs. Abbott, appeared on the 60 Minutes program also. So what happened to personal, professional integrity and what about public trust.

I believe I'm justified in thinking that DA's investigations may have been biased, perhaps more geared towards protecting and serving his evolving personal family circumstances. It presents a conflict of interests. It's also disrupted the more important matter of criminal investigations underway with Police. So things aren't always, quite what they seem. Hopefully California Sunday Magazine's author Graeme Wood hasn't given us example to DNA experiments, gone too far.

Some time ago you asked me about my connection to another case Makara. There's been some progress since. Look up Bryan Littlely's article Adelaide Advertiser published 21/5/15 (Vigilantes hunt convicted paedophile in South-East Asia to quiz him over missing Beaumont Children). Investigations for both these cases are ongoing.

Respectfully snipped.

Some time ago you asked me about my connection to another case Makara. There's been some progress since. Look up Bryan Littlely's article Adelaide Advertiser published 21/5/15 (Vigilantes hunt convicted paedophile in South-East Asia to quiz him over missing Beaumont Children). Investigations for both these cases are ongoing.

Yes, I'd read Littlely's article and immediately thought of you.

Makara...See follow up article Bryan Littlely 3/7/15 now receiving National coverage "S.A. paedophile found running Asian orphanage". This is Mr. X under the spotlight (convicted ped. 1990). Things are coming together, but it's complicated. These matters evolved over decades and drew in younger followers. The common link is my father. He has a lot to explain and that still includes how he came to be in possession of an I.D. photo / card (in name of H.C. Reynolds). It's impossible to keep these cold cases separate under the circumstances.

Here's something strange, but true. It was picked up by a clever commenter 'Dude' on another site.
On 30/11/48 the South Australian Ballet Club staged "The Listeners" at the Tivoli Theatre. The ballet was inspired by the poem 'The listeners' written by Walter de la Mare. It's an eerie piece about a grey eyed 'traveller' who comes to a house, knocks, and no-one answers. Adelaide's Joanne Priest adapted the poem to include a love triangle whereby there are 2 women in the Traveller's life...one who loved him (and has his baby), and the other is the woman whom he loved. The scenario somewhat mimics what DA states of Jestyn and SM, who by coincidence died the same night the ballet is first staged here. By added coincidence Joanne Priest later tutor Roma Egan, and one of the original caste members, Harry Haythorne who plays the 'Traveller', later becomes artistic director of the RNSB (N.Z. Ballet) at the same time Robin Thomson is with that company. Ballet brings a select group of people though, so paths would cross easily. Just thought it was unusual and interesting.
And good enough to share, right down to the fictional 'Traveller' and SM both having grey eyes.

For update on another matter...see Adelaide Advertiser 21/8/15 reported by Bryan Littlely...
"Child abuse claims span fifty years"
It can be found on PressReader.

Wowzers, just spent a good hour looking through the thread and a few links - what a mystery!

Sounds like this Jo/Jessica/Jestyn (kinda confused about this but think it's all the same woman) knows more than she admitted. I hope the body gets exhumed one day so another piece of the jigsaw can be fitted in.

A user has stated on a private member photo, ostensibly a portrait of Horace Charles reynolds:

"Horace's seaman card. new information acquired tells me our Horace Charles reynolds was not and never had been a seaman and had never travelled further from Tasmania other than to Victoria and new South Wales. sadly, therefore, the picture on the card would not be that of the Horace Charles reynolds we refer to as our ancestor".

I concur that there doesn't appear to be any record of Horace Charles Reynolds leaving Australia on Ancestry. Though, notably there is a H Reynolds (born approx 1900) listed as a seaman on trips to Sydney from Hobart in 1917 or 1918 (I believe in the role of purser). There are also similar records for a C Reynolds, who appear to be one and the same.

Interestingly, there was another H C Reynolds from Tasmania at the time, being Harold Clyde Reynolds who was born in approximately 1893. This Harold Clyde Reynolds appears to have been in England in 1911 and appears to have died in Victoria in 1964.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

A user has stated on a private member photo, ostensibly a portrait of Horace Charles reynolds:

"Horace's seaman card. new information acquired tells me our Horace Charles reynolds was not and never had been a seaman and had never travelled further from Tasmania other than to Victoria and new South Wales. sadly, therefore, the picture on the card would not be that of the Horace Charles reynolds we refer to as our ancestor".

I concur that there doesn't appear to be any record of Horace Charles Reynolds leaving Australia on Ancestry. Though, notably there is a H Reynolds (born approx 1900) listed as a seaman on trips to Sydney from Hobart in 1917 or 1918 (I believe in the role of purser). There are also similar records for a C Reynolds, who appear to be one and the same.

Interestingly, there was another H C Reynolds from Tasmania at the time, being Harold Clyde Reynolds who was born in approximately 1893. This Harold Clyde Reynolds appears to have been in England in 1911 and appears to have died in Victoria in 1964.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Welcome jaslee, thanks for your first post on Ws!!

:welcome:

It looks like Miss Harkness might have had a penchant for passing out copies of Rubaiyat to her former lovers, perhaps as a kiss-off. Maybe "Mr. Kean" became a bother and she made use of her nursing skills.

Alternatively, the book was a key to a spy code or as an identifier. In that case, SM might have been taken out by her or someone working with her when it was discovered that he was a double agent or of doubtful loyalty.

Theory three, it was something else that we will probably never know.

Most of Australia at that time was English, Irish or Scots heritage.

The coroner pronounced SM as Eastern European in appearance. South Australia has also long had a strong German presence.

I would guess this means that he was almost definitely not of English Irish or Scots or Western European heritage as it would have been recognized.

Eastern European backgrounds remain quite rare in South Australia, to this day.

I wonder if they will attempt to get DNA from his bones...this may be solved, one day, by Science.

SappireSteel...I think you left something out. SM had greying, ginger hair. There was also a tartan scarf in the suitcase.

Derek Abbott has been married to Rachel Egan since 2010 and they've produced 3 children. He'd have scrutinized his offspring for any genetic SM similarities already, and he's always had sufficient D.N.A. available to trace his wife's family tree. If as DA states, his wife is SM's Granddaughter, we only need to wait for him to find a younger SM photo amongst his wife's relatives here or overseas.
I thought we'd have heard some news by now. Maybe they're planning some SM announcement to feature on one of those "find my family" shows. It's always possible S.A.P.O.L. and the Attorney General refused DA's exhumation requests, because they already knew the public were being hoodwinked, and they wanted no part in it. Tracing ones family tree is a private matter. DA should do that first.

What do you think about this man? I don't think it's him, but these pics caughted my eye...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 71
I'm new to this site and and not sure if im posting correctly. I have a bundle of letters which relate to Jessica Thomson and I believe the Somerton Man Case. What would be the best way forward. Jazz

I'm new to this site and and not sure if im posting correctly. I have a bundle of letters which relate to Jessica Thomson and I believe the Somerton Man Case. What would be the best way forward. Jazz

Welcome, Jacinta! Well, I would like to say you should post them all here so we can have a read, but I think the right thing to do would be to contact the police.

Are you in Australia?
And do you think the letters might reveal who Somerton Man was?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back