Australia Australia - Tamam Shud Case - Male, Dec 1948

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes it was, and for the life of me I cannot find any medical evidence to say that a body-length shrinks within 48 hours of death, it’s a different matter for bulk, which does in most instances given the rapid intestinal decomposition. The saddle nose is there, as plain as day, no shading apparent. <modsnip: Outing the identity of another WS member>

Last edited by a moderator:
1lOtjEYe7vxm06bCbWhHotg-819x1024.jpeg

Artist's composite of Somerton Man, 1948. Who was he?

More information, photos, and composites at link.

LINK:

The Somerton Man: Tamam Shud Case | Missing Souls
According to the Dental chart taken by Dr. Dwyer at the autopsy, the man did not have anodontia. The chart shows 18 teeth missing. Attached image of the actual chart, the numbered teeth are the missing teeth.

View attachment 347181 .
Yes it was, and for the life of me I cannot find any medical evidence to say that a body-length shrinks within 48 hours of death, it’s a different matter for bulk, which does in most instances given the rapid intestinal decomposition. The saddle nose is there, as plain as day, no shading apparent. Cramer gave yet another reason for the saddle nose as well, in that the tight fit of an oxygen mask compressed it out of shape. Take your pick.
Might correct you there. The oxygen mask marking on the photograph of Fedosimov left a clear mark around the mouth and those marks matched the shape of the particular kind of facemask in use at that time, most cabins were not compressed for many aircraft, international flights being an exception. That suggested that Fedosimov met Novikov at La Guardia when both men got off their respective planes, Novikov was on an International flight and Fedosmov on a local flight, which in the main flew around 10000 feet.
I suggest you might look a bit harder at the issue of height versus the height of the man who stated that he thought he was 6' 2' or 6'3", that was Harry Gold. Harry was just a shade over 5 feet tall. To Harry, anyone over 5/8' would be a giant. There are documents that corroborate that, it's fact. The way I read the description of the meeting in the Cinema in the Bronx, it was an upstairs foyer, the man Fedosimov strode across the floor to meet Harry and Harry noticed that he walked 'on his toes'' wearing a hat as well I believe. You need to put yourself in Harry's place, just over 5 feet tall and this large man with large hands strides across the room 'on his toes ' and he's wearing a hat. How tall is he? 5'11", 6'1", 6'3'? Academic articles show that witness statements when it comes to the issue of height are only between 15% and 34% accurate, they also state that the range of heights given by witnesses for the same event and person varies by up to 4 inches. I understand that people who walk on their toes develop large calf muscles. As was said he wondered why there were no photographs of the man after 1947, the same name may have cropped up but no photographs, and the latest was that the FBI had destroyed all of those records in 1954. There's room for questioning there and I think it's reasonable.

There's an image of the 'saddle nose' and the effect of lighting. It is almost impossible to make a judgment on the shape of a nose from a front face view.

Attachments

• Academic_article.jpg
    Academic_article.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 17
Fedosimov was 6’2” …. The Somerton Man 5’11” as was measured during his autopsy. Where can you confirm a body shrinks so markedly in the few days after death?
Any references would be appreciated.

Wasn't that explained away by SM's height loss after death and PF's shading on the nose? Just what I've read.
Maybe this will help. The body length can actually shrink up to 2 cms or so within 24 hours of death. Documents are available.
But, the argument that was put forward on another blog did not mention the body length shrinking at all, it never entered into it as far as I can recall.
The discussion was around the fact that the body would have been measured whilst lying flat on the slab and that was 5'11''. If that same body were to magically come alive and were to stand up straight, stretched to its full height, that can add another 1 inch possibly more. Next, If you put a pair of shoes on that person, let's call him 'Lazarus' you would increase that height by say, another 1 inch. So far we are at 6' 1'1/2 inch.in height. This is something you can test out yourself at home, preferably whilst you're still alive of course.

The next part of the discussion is about the witness who gave his estimation of Fedosimov's height. (There is no other documentation that details Fedosimov's height) That witness was Harry Gold. He estimated his height as 'very big, 6' 3' or more, This is where it gets really interesting. There are Academic papers that deal with Witnesses and specifically how they judge such things as height, weight, gender, etc. The accuracy rate for judging height is between 13% and 35%. In other words, they are wrong most of the time. Then you take into account lighting, if it's dimmer than daylight you are more likely to get it wrong. If the situation is a stressful one, that also negatively affects a person's judgment. You could go on and talk about the questioning technique used by the agent interviewing Gold because that plays a part in how the witness responds. Documents are available. It's more fun if you search for them, try looking for forensic psychology, and witnesses' descriptions on google.

The issue here is that Harry Gold was a very small man, around 5'2", short and stubby. Fedosimov and Harry met on a first-floor foyer of The Earl Theater in the Bronx, on a cold night, Boxing day 1946, so both men would have been well rugged up. Harry described Fed as being a big man with large hands, Fedosimov strode across the foyer to meet him and Harry noticed that the man walked 'on his toes' the sort of condition that can, incidentally, lead to pointy toes and large calf muscles. Imagine if you were 5'2" tall and you saw this large man, on his toes and wearing a hat striding across a dimly lit foyer towards you, how tall would he look? The starting position was 6' 1" according to the Lazarus model quoted a minute ago and that's without walking on his toes and wearing a hat. Now psychology comes into play, there would be a few but not many circumstances more stressful than a spy meeting in public. Dimly lit room, very small man, a big man walking on his toes towards him, a high-stress situation. How accurate do you think Harry's description would have been? When they met, they exchanged the pre-arranged identification chat, 'Do you know how to get to Paul Street' response was, 'Yes, I am going there myself a little later' then came the matter of two torn but matching pieces of paper and the identification was complete. If anyone's interested, The purpose of the meeting was the handover of the role of 'handler' for Harry Gold, from Anatoli Yakovlev to Fedosimov.

One last thing, the nose issue, see the attached image. One shows the negative view of Fedosimov's face, and the other shows the oxygen masks worn by passengers in local US flight aircraft. Please compare the mask to the markings on Fedosimov's face, especially across the nose. To finish off, a photograph shows just how difficult, if not impossible, it is to judge the features of a person's nose from a single full-face photograph.
Fedosimov was put forward as a candidate in part because there was only ever one photograph of him found. The name Pavel Fedosimov certainly cropped up a number of times after 1948 but not one photograph was found. To add another wrinkle, Pavel Fedosimov returned to Russia in 1941 to lead a significant espionage operation in Russia against the Germans. In 1943 and in the same area where Fedosimov was working, a man called Pavel Fedosimov was killed in action, this man's year of birth was 1905. In reality, no one knows whether the Pavel Fedosimov in the photograph was his real name. The intelligence agencies destroyed all known records on this man and others in 1954. An FOI request received the not often given response, We can neither confirm nor deny whether Fedosimov was working for the US. A 'Glomar Response', is worth looking up if you have a couple of minutes to spare.

Attachments

• Academic_article.jpg
    Academic_article.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 7
  • FED_face3.png
    FED_face3.png
    101.2 KB · Views: 8
  • HE1.5 p46_oxygen masks.jpg
    HE1.5 p46_oxygen masks.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Nasal_oxygenMasks.png
    Nasal_oxygenMasks.png
    180.7 KB · Views: 8
All the letters have dates and the timeframe is
1947-48. 50 or so are in perfect order. 8 them
have been stuck together by water damage.
So is there any more news about these letters since 2016? You seem to have disappeared. I hope you're okay.

The whole business of examining and decoding or decrypting clandestine communication codes is really fascinating. If you already have knowledge of these things then please forgive me while I go through some of the basics of this 'art form' for want of a better term. especially as it applies to the Somerton Man case.

First, many of you will have heard of the Venona cables, these were highly classified cables between Moscow and its outposts throughout the world. The Americans were able to crack the code that the Soviets used and kept that fact secret for 37 years? I stand to be corrected on that last piece of information. Out of all of that cable traffic and its subsequent analysis did you know that they only actually succeeded in decrypting the following:

To date, the NSA has declassified more than 3,000 messages related to Venona. Yet of the voluminous message traffic sent to Moscow from the KGB's New York office, Venona cryptanalysts were able to decrypt only 49 percent of the 1944 messages, 15 percent of the 1943 messages, and a mere 1.8 percent of the 1942 messages.

Amazing isn't it. In the end, it's not how many but the value of the ones that were cracked that really counts. Partial decrypts are par for the course in the world of codebreakers.

From my limited knowledge, the process went something like this. 1. Coded message identified, 2. decrypt effort started and shared amongst a select team of experts 3. eventually a partial decrypt may be achieved.
The team would then shift their attention to analysing their find and then reviewing other decrypts that in some way were related to the main target message. In this way they were able, on some occasions, to build the original decrypt to the point where there was nothing further they could do. This process I believe is similar to the ones used by Western Intelligence agencies in those days.
The point I am making is that it is not just a matter of clicking your fingers and getting someone to provide full and coherent decryption. To believe that would be naive.
To my next point and with regards to the Somerton Man code page, I have been able to partially decrypt some parts of the code on the page and those were published 18 months ago. Here are a couple of links:

1. Link Here Some interesting names appear and other scraps of information. The name GOLOS crops up amongst other things. One GOLOS was a known Soviet agent in the US, a master with document forgeries it seems. This man died of a heart attack in New York in 1943. Apparently, Jacob was not popular amongst his Soviet masters and it was after he had handed over his list of contacts and networks that he shed his mortal coil. Strange how spies suddenly die of heart attacks. There was another GOLOS, but this man had no connection with Australia until 1949 so there could not be a reference to him on the code page. Jacob Golos is worth following up though even though he was no longer with us. We do not have any information that dates when the code page was written or even whether it was all written at the same time.
2. Another link to a decrypt post here Somewhat less of a partial decrypt with a reference to a CPA organisation.

I have attached a copy of the code page and a close-up of the crossed lines. The process I used to get them to this stage has also been published. For those who haven't read about this method, here it is:

1. Use a copy of the Adelaide Advertiser image of the code page or any other one that has been proven to be authentic.

2. Print this out on an inkjet printer set to high/best quality and print it on 'bleed proof' paper this will prevent ink spreading and give you a sharper, cleaner image. You should set the print resolution to 1200 dpi or above
Once you have done that you may already see glimpses of the very small letters and numbers that were inked over in the first instance by one agency or another.

What you need to do next is to clean the page up.

Let me explain, if you examine that page under a strong light which is set at an oblique angle, you will see that the printed-out areas have lighter and darker shades. The hidden codes are the darker shades, they need to be isolated or cleaned up.

This next step may sound strange but bear with me, use a very light acid to remove a super thin layer of ink.

Methods used in WW2 included strong household bleach or lemon juice which is a lower strength, an acetic acid. You should try both and observe what happens. The best result is obtained in my experience, by using the lemon juice method.

In the code page image below, if you examine it carefully, you will see the mass of markings that lay beneath the marked over code letters on the page. These are not artifacts, these were the tiny letters and numbers referred to by Detective Brown when he spoke of the telephone number.
With regards to the rest of the markings on the page, I am working to my schedule and can tell you they are being worked on and when they have all been done and analysed I will publish the results. Quite a few of the letters have been processed and the results are very interesting. You are of course welcome to try the process described yourself. It will be interesting to see what you achieve. If you have any questions please leave a message here.
I just would like to stress the point that I am working to a schedule, and in due course, I will publish the full code page decrypt plus other codes that have been found. A big part of cracking the code was finding it in the first instance, now it's being worked through.

Attachments

• CPAGE_IR_Fluid2A_81020-MKD - Copy.png
    CPAGE_IR_Fluid2A_81020-MKD - Copy.png
    640.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Xlines_AB.jpg
    Xlines_AB.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 14
There was a note on here somewhere regarding Constable Moss missing the torn slip. I think he missed it, he also missed a handkerchief and a box of matches.

There's nothing unusual in that, it all depends on the circumstances on the day. I know that he made a statement to the TRUTH newspaper in January 49 where he said that he didn't think there were any matches at the scene but that was before the case was taken over by Detective Leane. The fact is that in a suspicious death, more than one person would search the clothing on the body, in this case, at least 3 people have been documented as searching the clothes and made findings, the second two each found something the previous searches missed.
The torn piece was concealed, that is, it was rolled up tight and pushed well down into a hard-to-find, 'secret', fob pocket.
In all these cases, what matters is the evidence that is given under oath and under opath Constable Moss did not mention the matches.
Having some knowledge of the various tradecraft concealment techniques, I would say that it was deliberate concealment. Whoever put it there, most likely the Somerton Man, did so knowing that by secreting it the way he did, he knew it would be easily missed in a pat-down search because it would be barely noticeable against the seam in the bottom of the pocket.

Attached is an image from a PDF document that was in fact an ebook about the history of the company that made the Stamina Elasta strap trousers belonging to the Somerton Man.
Happy to share this PDF book if anyone wants a copy. Amongst other things, it details the processes and in one part it talks of custom pockets being made. You will notice that the fob pockets seem quite narrow and very deep in comparison to the width.

SM_fobpocket_May2016.png

Another item to add is a WW2 film clip by a Major Burton of US Army Intelligence, it's one of a series of 14 very short but informative videos on the various codes in use by foreign agents in the US during the war years. This particular one shows how a secret message was hidden inside the seam of a handkerchief amongst other things.

Last edited:
ADMIN NOTE:

Some posts have been removed.

Websleuths is a true crime discussion site. Outing the identity of any member on Websleuths or external websites is an automatic lifetime ban from Websleuths.

Post accordingly.

A researcher in the case of the Somerton Man says he has solved the decades-old mystery, identifying the figure as a Melbourne-born electrical engineer.
Adelaide University researcher Derek Abbott believes the unknown man found slumped and lifeless at Adelaide's Somerton Beach on December 1, 1948, was Carl "Charles" Webb, a 43-year-old engineer and instrument maker.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214
Back