Found Alive Australia - Terence Darrell Kelly, charged w/ abduction, 4 y.o. victim found alive, WA ,16 Oct 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Barefoot and wearing a black t-shirt, the 36-year-old shouted “I’m coming for you” at media assembled to cover his first court appearance.
“What the f... are the media doing here?” he asked.
Magistrate Benjamin White replied: “It’s an open court”.
He also yelled “wipe that smile off your face” while looking across at the gallery.

He did not enter a plea and will face court via video link again next month.

https://thewest.com.au/news/carnarvon-man-terence-kelly-appears-in-court-charged-with-young-girls-abduction-c-4436092

Most definitely will be a closed court if it goes to trial because of the nature of the crime and the age of the victim. We'll probably have courtroom sketches and sparse details, which is how it should be.

TK's reaction to the media presence does explain the wink at the airport, imo.

Barefoot and wearing a black t-shirt, the 36-year-old shouted “I’m coming for you” at media assembled to cover his first court appearance.
“What the f... are the media doing here?” he asked.
Magistrate Benjamin White replied: “It’s an open court”.
He also yelled “wipe that smile off your face” while looking across at the gallery.

He did not enter a plea and will face court via video link again next month.

https://thewest.com.au/news/carnarvon-man-terence-kelly-appears-in-court-charged-with-young-girls-abduction-c-4436092

Most definitely will be a closed court if it goes to trial because of the nature of the crime and the age of the victim. We'll probably have courtroom sketches and sparse details, which is how it should be.

TK's reaction to the media presence does explain the wink at the airport, imo.

Oh good lord. I think the lawyers involved would be pressing for a guilty plea (unless of course he is actually innocent …)
I don’t know how it works in WA but as a victim of crime myself my offender plead guilty (after some negotiations) and I was not required to testify in any way and so it was an open court. It was simply the police involved who testified and my statement taken into account.

I feel sick to my stomach if this becomes a drawn out trial.

Oh good lord. I think the lawyers involved would be pressing for a guilty plea (unless of course he is actually innocent …)
I don’t know how it works in WA but as a victim of crime myself my offender plead guilty (after some negotiations) and I was not required to testify in any way and so it was an open court. It was simply the police involved who testified and my statement taken into account.

I feel sick to my stomach if this becomes a drawn out trial.

He will pay with a harsher sentence if he chooses to challenge it.

For anyone from the US on this thread, don't expect to see Kelly appear on video link when his matter is before the court. <modsnip> they don't stream trials at all, but if we're lucky they may live stream the judgment when it's handed down ... but nothing else.

<modsnip - off topic, discussions of desire to change the rules in Australia is off topic to this case and not permitted>

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope that the accused, if guilty (since we are asked not to make assumptions re a fair trial), will plead guilty and spare CS and her family the drawn out process and additional suffering. The accused addressing the media in such a hostile way makes me concerned he might be something more than a someone who kidnapped a girl to be a companion/doll re his doll obsession. The kidnapping and keeping her away from her family would be traumatic enough, I really hope he hasn’t done anything else.

@Angeline......Yeah because It was close to midnight, and something evil was lurking in the dark under the moonlight.

Anyway if this crime wasn't abhorrent enough. He spent at least 11 years making 30 profiles with stolen images of other peoples children . Let that sink in!.... This would send a a tingle up any parents spine in regards to how careful you have to be in protecting your children on socials. The children's images he stole wouldn't be children anymore, young adults and they have to deal with this also . I've seen posts from family members of the images he stole who are so upset about this.

For anyone from the US on this thread, don't expect to see Kelly appear on video link when his matter is before the court. <modsnip> - they don't stream trials at all, but if we're lucky they may live stream the judgment when it's handed down ... but nothing else.

<modsnip>

Thank you for posting. In the US, we're used to high profile cases being televised and I was wondering if it would be the same in this matter.

My MIL collects all kinds of dolls, vintage Barbie, porcelain and baby dolls etc. We'll have to sell them up one day as well.:(

This is a bit different though. don't you think. I had friends who collected Blythe dolls...

Meanwhile some news outlet will pull a story about Bratz dolls collectors crying about the resale value because nobody's interested in them anymore. Good!, I always thought they were creepy. *Pulls up Judgy McJudge pants* They're on the same level as those ROBLOX avatars with little girls running around in hot pants and fishnet tights. Just stop it!

Are any of these books red flags to anyone?

"Before We Were Yours" by Lisa Wingate
"The Silent Wife" by Karen Slaughter
"Three Wishes" by Liane Moriarty
"The Last Anniversary" by Liane Moriarty
"The Exham-on-Sea Murder Mysteries" by Frances Evesham
"The Forevers" by Chris Whitaker
"Seriously...I'm Kidding" by Ellen Degeneres
"The Lucky List" by Rachael Lippincott
"The Things We Don't See" by Savannah Brown
"Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe" by Benjamin Alire Saenz

Karen Slaughter, I have read one book and of course I don´t remember the plot but I had to comment on my fb that it was one of the worst books I ever read. iirc torture, psychopats and gore...

Terence Darrell Kelly, has been moved to a maximum security prison in Perth for threatening a reporter.

He looked a reporter directly in the eye and said: “I’m going to get out of here one day. I’m coming for you

<modnsip> suspect moved to maximum security prison

Sounds like a smooth criminal ,who wanna be starting something.

IMHO he showed no remorse by winking.... Just a brat

No we don't have Plea Bargaining in Australia. Our system is quite different.

What is a plea bargaining?

""Plea bargaining", in the sense used in North American TV drama's where a prosecuting lawyer and the court negotiate a charge (to honour a deal that might have been struck with the defendant) does not occur in Australia.

However, the prosecution may agree to only pursue a lesser charge (typically in exchange for the accused agreeing to plead guilty to that lesser charge). This is termed "charge bargaining". But, unlike plea bargaining, this does not involve the prosecution attempting to influence the court's view in sentencing.

In the event that you do plead guilty to a lesser offence, the court is under no obligation to reduce a sentence in recognition of a charge bargain, as the court is always under an obligation to act in the public interest.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

https://thewest.com.au/news/cs/cs-found-taxi-dash-cam-vision-captures-moment-police-swoop-on-terence-darrell-kelly-c-4436841

I wonder why it was so long after they captured the accused that they rescued CS. Did they not know where the house was? Did they think they needed some information from him first? The police who entered the house said they didn’t know what they’d find when they went in so it doesn’t sound he told them anything/much. Any thoughts?

That’s a good question. I was under the impression that they were watching his house and deciding on an appropriate time to enter. When he left the house they got their chance to arrest him and I thought the other police entered the home soon after. I can only imagine that they may have been waiting for paperwork to go through giving them their right to search the house, or they needed to make sure they weren’t walking into a hostage situation. Nothing else would really explain the delay.

""Plea bargaining", in the sense used in North American TV drama's where a prosecuting lawyer and the court negotiate a charge (to honour a deal that might have been struck with the defendant) does not occur in Australia.

However, the prosecution may agree to only pursue a lesser charge (typically in exchange for the accused agreeing to plead guilty to that lesser charge). This is termed "charge bargaining". But, unlike plea bargaining, this does not involve the prosecution attempting to influence the court's view in sentencing.

In the event that you do plead guilty to a lesser offence, the court is under no obligation to reduce a sentence in recognition of a charge bargain, as the court is always under an obligation to act in the public interest.

I too have read that article and know there are some differences, but we most certainly do have plea bargaining:

How Do Plea Bargains Work In Australia? - Lawpath

Plea Negotiation Home | Criminal Law | Armstrong Legal

Plea bargain possible for WA murder - 9News

https://thewest.com.au/news/cs/cs-found-taxi-dash-cam-vision-captures-moment-police-swoop-on-terence-darrell-kelly-c-4436841

I wonder why it was so long after they captured the accused that they rescued CS. Did they not know where the house was? Did they think they needed some information from him first? The police who entered the house said they didn’t know what they’d find when they went in so it doesn’t sound he told them anything/much. Any thoughts?
That's the best coverage I've seen so far of his arrest, the taxi footage and times.

TK has no driver license so no address details on him, they had to question him back at the station. His relatives may have given the address if TK refused to answer questions. The police would have to get a warrant to search his property, takes time, they probably scoped out the house before they pounced in case there was an accomplice inside. jmo

"No we don't have Plea Bargaining in Australia. Our system is quite different."

Are you sure about that? Every state in Australia has different laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper