Australia Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, 31 May 2019 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Literally tallow beach road from the crossroads Theo stood at!

that’s how bloody close it was to him!
Would you be able to hear where the water is ? 4 doesn’t look like a worse option than 1 or 2. The only option looking really sketchy is 3. Could it appear that the ocean sounds are coming from the « option 4 » direction?

Would you be able to hear where the water is ? 4 doesn’t look like a worse option than 1 or 2. The only option looking really sketchy is 3. Could it appear that the ocean sounds are coming from the « option 4 » direction?
That’s a great question about hearing the water. Cos we didn’t hear the water for a large portion of the trip into the scrub cos it was so thick!

Lin actually made reference to that on the day to the person I was with a iut not being about to hear the water we couldn’t use it as a guide if we couldn’t see if that makes sense?

Just to add there were a lot more obstacles and over hanging branches etc. When i posted the pics on here at the time 2 years ago I mentioned the right path was the one of most resistance for us standing there. Kinda like campers down there wanted to make the path an uninviting as possible.

That’s a great question about hearing the water. Cos we didn’t hear the water for a large portion of the trip into the scrub cos it was so thick!

Lin actually made reference to that on the day to the person I was with a iut not being about to hear the water we couldn’t use it as a guide if we couldn’t see if that makes sense?

Thanks, this has been bugging me. If it was dark and I couldn’t see, and I’m clearly in doubt about which direction to take, I would try to find other clues, like the sound of the ocean, the light of the lighthouse, …

It does seem like he used google maps a bit like I do, I look at it to know where I am, but I in no way trust that it accurately tells me where I should go, without verifying through several other visual or other clues. I.e. where is the water versus where I am, where is the nearest POI etc.

If he decided he knew better than google maps because of other clues, like the sound of the water, or the light of the lighthouse, and they were giving him information that did not seem to match google maps, I would possibly be able to believe that he took the bush road and climbed a cliff, because he didn’t actually know beforehand how hard it would be.

your pictures are great, btw!

Also what kind of animal is this in the bushland a 5 min drive from Wake Up Hostel please. I have not seen anything like this before here in the UK and wondered if any danger at all to humans.
upload_2021-9-12_0-58-39.png

Last edited:
My guessimate is here as roughly marked in my map below. The red location pin is where I guess is the white building in the Daily Mail photo - apparently the slope to the left was roped off by police.

I was walking right along the path behind that building in Aug 2019. There was no sign of skeletal remains at the time...

MOO and I welcome someone to provide more accurate info!
It is good that the other missing person was found which hopefully will be the case with Theo if his skeletal remains are found after some more searches or stumbled upon by chance.
Thinking again about the cold weather on the night of Theo's disappearance which was around 8 degrees. If Theo and any new found friend tried to get warm and he didn't make it back to the hostel then where are there outside shelters they could have slept? An abandoned camp, a tunnels, drain, cave maybe.
It seems highly likely that Theo didn't survive as by all accounts was not a planned disappearance. Not one person has come forward who may have been with Theo so either they are passed away as well or know something and not coming forward for whatever reason. If both have passed there have still been no bodies found so either they are at rest somewhere unsearched, scavenged by an animal or lost at sea.

Would option 4 appear to be going downhill versus option 1 upwards toward the lighthouse?

In that case I would assume, down is toward the beach (going with the assumption he was trying to reach the beach) and up toward the lighthouse (Tallow Road) appears to be the wrong direction.

I wouldn’t even be surprised he thought he was taking the Milne track towards the right. There is even a similar bend in the Milne track like the one around Tommy’s camp. Look at your red line vs Milne track.

He clearly ran on the fire track and missed the Milne track, so why not assume, right is the Milne track, and assuming google is just a few 100 meters off as to his actual location.

Attachments

• B4AED7B9-4027-4DCA-B9C6-73FFA2804553.jpeg
    B4AED7B9-4027-4DCA-B9C6-73FFA2804553.jpeg
    287.4 KB · Views: 5
Looks like a pig
Thanks for confirming. I thought it has some kind of horns though. Someone said that there is an animal out there scavenging on other animals so I wondered if that is what has happened with Theo's remains.
upload_2021-9-12_13-51-3.png

Since all avenues must be explored, remember that the police are interested in the videos from the surveillance cameras of Tennyson Street. What did Theo do at the end of Tennyson Street?
Perhaps the 7 minute delay can be explained by the fact that the Oppo phone and cap changed hands at that time and made their way to Tallow Beach via Milne Track.
Theo would have gone back to his hostel without his cap but with his second phone (Let's not forget that the Oppo was a new phone and that he had probably kept the old one (see this comment [[URL="https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/australia-theo-hayez-18-belgian-backpacker-byron-bay-june-2019-2.463775/page-12#post-15549983"]Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, June 2019 #2[/URL] and [URL="https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/australia-theo-hayez-18-belgian-backpacker-byron-bay-june-2019-2.463775/page-12#post-15551644"]Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, June 2019 #2[/URL]).
Théo then continues on his way to his backpacker hostel by following the following route: https: //sendeyo.com/updownload/file/script/dc5f4e259d6c3e159ce79e267bbe76ba.webp
This is how he finds himself at 11:17 pm in Shirley Street and is spotted by 3 CCTV cameras (his cousins initially convinced that it was Theo). He is not wearing his cap because it was stolen with his Oppo and he has his old phone in his hands. The timing is respected as evidenced by the calculation of this route: https://sendeyo.com/updownload/file/script/cf984ae3b29acf06e864feca34dd82bf.webp
What would have happened to him then?

In this reflection, we must take into account not to be fooled by the fact that Theo replied to various messages during the night from Cozy Corner. As the responses to these messages were very terse, anyone could have written them. The same goes for the Burger Quizz video. It must have opened up instantly and the person on the phone only looked at it briefly because it didn't interest him more than that.

Last edited:
A little reminder of the hostel's degree of cooperation "A woman who has been assisting in the search for Mr Hayez slammed the hostel staff for failing to raise the alarm earlier.

The woman, who wished to remain anonymous, told Daily Mail Australia, the staff had only alerted to police to Mr Hayez's disappearance when his cousin Lisa called.

'The first 48 hours are the most important.'

The woman had been with Mr Hayez's family when they first went to the hostel. She said the staff were not helpful.

'They ushered us off into a room, it was like they were trying to hide us away.

'They have been difficult from the start.

'They have palmed off all responsibility.'

WakeUp! hostel declined to comment when contacted by Daily Mail Australia." Theo Hayez friend reveals last moments at Bryon Bay bar on night he disappeared | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
Since all avenues must be explored, remember that the police are interested in the videos from the surveillance cameras of Tennyson Street. What did Theo do at the end of Tennyson Street?
Perhaps the 7 minute delay can be explained by the fact that the Oppo phone and cap changed hands at that time and made their way to Tallow Beach via Milne Track.
Theo would have gone back to his hostel without his cap but with his second phone (Let's not forget that the Oppo was a new phone and that he had probably kept the old one (see this comment [Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, June 2019 #2 and Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, June 2019 #2).
Théo then continues on his way to his backpacker hostel by following the following route: https: //sendeyo.com/updownload/file/script/dc5f4e259d6c3e159ce79e267bbe76ba.webp
This is how he finds himself at 11:17 pm in Shirley Street and is spotted by 3 CCTV cameras (his cousins initially convinced that it was Theo). He is not wearing his cap because it was stolen with his Oppo and he has his old phone in his hands. The timing is respected as evidenced by the calculation of this route: https://sendeyo.com/updownload/file/script/cf984ae3b29acf06e864feca34dd82bf.webp
What would have happened to him then?

In this reflection, we must take into account not to be fooled by the fact that Theo replied to various messages during the night from Cozy Corner. As the responses to these messages were very terse, anyone could have written them. The same goes for the Burger Quizz video. It must have opened up instantly and the person on the phone only looked at it briefly because it didn't interest him more than that.
I just read through some of the old messages and this observation by feralflower is interesting as well
Quote 'Is possible if there was a scuffle Theo dropped his phone and whoever he was with remembered next day, and went to retrieve it again at low tide, when beach could be driven on. I know probably over thinking but it does stick out that both last activities, and final ping of phone were at low tides. I believe there is 4 wheel drive access to this beach.'

Thanks for confirming. I thought it has some kind of horns though. Someone said that there is a human or animal out there scavenging so I wondered if that is what has happened with Theo's remains. I hope it is not a human mutilating animals as that is how psychopaths often start doing things.
View attachment 312250

Last edited:
These are some of the conversations about the animal mutilations in the area where Theo went missing. They say that psychopaths start by mutilation of animals then move onto humans.
Following websleuth rules I have hidden names of people giving the information.
upload_2021-9-12_16-15-3.png

Last edited:
I have a technical question about the so called wifi handshake Theo’s phone supposedly made.

Is it possible to verify this wifi handshake in any way if you do NOT have the actual phone is your possession ?
If it’s a Bluetooth thing, would the handshake be recorded anywhere else than on the phones that connected?

Is this proof that the police actually have the phone in their possession ?

Is this near the area where Theo went missing?
Woman narrowly escapes being mauled as wild dog attacks increase on urban fringes
''Raya Brunello was taking her two dogs, Frankie and Mikki, for their regular afternoon walk on her Clunes property in the Byron Bay hinterland, in far northern New South Wales, when she was encircled by three, large wild dogs.''

Byron Bay is located on the far North Coast of NSW, Australia. I think the whole area has a problem with wild dogs from another article I have just been reading.

I am not sure how they interact with humans but I don't think they have been a threat as far as attacks on humans are concerned.

"“The whole North Coast has an extensive wild dog problem"
North Coast wild dogs run rampant

I just want to ad an observation I have made on the footage of Theo turning the corner into Kingsley st from Jonson st, the last known footage of Theo.

On the looking4theo sight they have this footage on loop, which is helpful. To my eye, he doesn’t even have his phone out of his pocket as he enters Kingsley st. I count possibly 11 to 12 steps that Theo makes on camera coming around the turn and going straight along Kingsley before he even looked at his phone. I also observed this is the first real time in the footage Theo’s walking course starts to alter. This is made easy by using the footpath as a straight line of reference. He kinda veers left, then right and left again to avoid the sign.

I’d love to know others opinions, but my thoughts are,

1- how could he purposely take the Kingsley st way if he wasn’t looking at google maps at that time, maybe he looked at maps in front of CM, and then put phone back in pocket, only to take it out meters away around the corner.

2- yes he does veer in course, but was he inebriated? I personally don’t think so as an argument can be made that he only starts to veer when he looks at his phone (kinda like why you don’t text and drive right?)

3: did he know where he was going? And was this a purposeful journey from the start? Or was he kicked out, then just started walking to get away from the place as you do after being asked to leave, then once away from the place he takes his phone out, then looks at maps, finds a way to WU and starts going there? Cos one can make it through from Tennyson, past the YAC, onto Gilmore cr then out onto Lawson easily enough (or so it would appear on maps anyway) Or was he going to Tennyson on purpose?

edit to ad I apologise if the pics aren’t in chronological order, but that’s why I number them. But please, go and look at the footage On loop and make you’re own judgement, I’d love to know your thoughts.

it is pics 12/13/14 that he stakes his phone out

Attachments

• F51AA6F0-50D5-42A0-9353-C0E5254CF1D6.jpeg
    F51AA6F0-50D5-42A0-9353-C0E5254CF1D6.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 608B7CCC-9CDD-490F-A4AB-19D335C3551F.jpeg
    608B7CCC-9CDD-490F-A4AB-19D335C3551F.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 096F5E85-E9E5-4465-A3B4-BE852C511BF7.jpeg
    096F5E85-E9E5-4465-A3B4-BE852C511BF7.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 13
  • 2440FF3A-A0B4-4E76-914E-D01131EBA7CE.jpeg