Australia Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, June 2019 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we please try and keep things civilised and the thread open. It would be a real shame to have it locked again perhaps indefinitely.
Totally agree,
This thread, although quiet at the moment, needs to keep open to finding Theo. There are people who will keep looking, myself included when given the opportunity.
There's still a lot of land down there unsearched as far as I am aware.
People of Byron will keep looking and listening, mark my words.

Still nothing? Where could he be?

I’m afraid Theo is lost at sea that seems the most logical explanation at this point. Or he could have got lost in the bush trying to get away from someone but that seems less likely to me. It is a tragedy that his loved ones may never know what happened to him.

"The father of missing Belgian backpacker Theo Hayez has flown back to Byron Bay to meet with local police and continue the search for his son.

The 18-year-old was last seen leaving the Cheeky Monkey's bar on the popular coastal town about 11pm on May 31.

Extensive land, air and sea searches failed to find any leads and police were forced to call off the operation in July.

However, Theo's desperate family have refused to give up hope of finding their son.

His father Laurent Hayez arrived back in Australia on Sunday - three months on - hoping for a breakthrough."

Theo Hayez's father flies back to Byron Bay to from Belgium continue search his son | Daily Mail Online

"The father of missing Belgian backpacker Theo Hayez has flown back to Byron Bay to meet with local police and continue the search for his son.

The 18-year-old was last seen leaving the Cheeky Monkey's bar on the popular coastal town about 11pm on May 31.

Extensive land, air and sea searches failed to find any leads and police were forced to call off the operation in July.

However, Theo's desperate family have refused to give up hope of finding their son.

His father Laurent Hayez arrived back in Australia on Sunday - three months on - hoping for a breakthrough."

Theo Hayez's father flies back to Byron Bay to from Belgium continue search his son | Daily Mail Online
Hope that the police has some updates for Dad. Including that for the cap found. Police has been so quiet.

On the other hand, today at the discussion group, a very involved member clarified that there was no confirmed route of Theo's, in fact there are a few circulating.

So ... I wonder which one they will be testing?
You could test Google Maps routes to set locations.

Fresh eyes:

This is another disappearance of a very young person, last seen exiting a bar. There are a quite a few of these, both men and women. They simply vanish, last seen at a bar. Also, there's the hostel-factor (in this case, apparently no close friends at the hostel who would have gone to police earlier).

It sounds like the early search focused on the obvious misadventures (land and sea). But I'd say this is a criminal investigation. Someone knows something.

The family might want to speak to one of the major podcasters (Someone Knows Something, Unresolved, Cold Case, there are many others). Generation Why does this kind of case and has a vast audience. There aren't enough details (yet) for it to go to Casefiles.

What size town is Byron Bay? Have any tourists ever been robbed there? Is this mostly a resort town or does it have its own local schools, etc? Would young locals have been at the same bar?

The family should also consult with local police about sources of DNA that might be available, if they have not already. By that I mean, sources of Theo's DNA (which could include simple, fairly inexpensive testing of the two parents).

Leaving a bar at 11:oo pm'ish and then going to see a sunrise implies a great deal of energy (and frankly, some companions).

I'm learning that cadaver dogs are pretty rare, so I'm guessing sniffer dogs? I'm not caught up on this case, but the family needs our energy. Feel free to correct anything I've said that's wrong (and if it's already been discussed, that's okay - I'm still reading all of Thread 1).

I was also going to mention the alcohol issue, but that's been discussed. I'm going to just assume he was somewhat impaired and therefore vulnerable.

There are some really bad actors in the world.

When Byron Bay is described in MSM as "alternative lifestyle mecca" what does that mean? Cannabis? Openness to LGBQT? More?

Last edited:
I am assuming his smartphone had GPS (that operates separately from any app). That's how I understand that it works, and it does work that way in US, UK and Canada - so I am assuming Australia as well.

I agree it's really likely he had someone with him. What's App likely does not have the content of his messages, but did he communicate with someone in Australia via that app (ever)?

So strange that he ended up in that little corner of beach.

It is interesting that neither of the two new Daily Mail articles mention the cap even though they ran stories on it when it was found and it was part of the ‘timeline’, but not anymore.

I wonder... did the cap fail to produce any clues? Or did it produce clues the press can’t reveal?

They could have said it wasn’t Theo’s cap after all, or simply that they are still waiting for LE results or an update, but not mentioning the cap at all seems like a calculated decision.

I wonder what’s going on there?

Fresh eyes:

This is another disappearance of a very young person, last seen exiting a bar. There are a quite a few of these, both men and women. They simply vanish, last seen at a bar. Also, there's the hostel-factor (in this case, apparently no close friends at the hostel who would have gone to police earlier).

It sounds like the early search focused on the obvious misadventures (land and sea). But I'd say this is a criminal investigation. Someone knows something.

The family might want to speak to one of the major podcasters (Someone Knows Something, Unresolved, Cold Case, there are many others). Generation Why does this kind of case and has a vast audience. There aren't enough details (yet) for it to go to Casefiles.

What size town is Byron Bay? Have any tourists ever been robbed there? Is this mostly a resort town or does it have its own local schools, etc? Would young locals have been at the same bar?

The family should also consult with local police about sources of DNA that might be available, if they have not already. By that I mean, sources of Theo's DNA (which could include simple, fairly inexpensive testing of the two parents).

Leaving a bar at 11:eek:o pm'ish and then going to see a sunrise implies a great deal of energy (and frankly, some companions).

I'm learning that cadaver dogs are pretty rare, so I'm guessing sniffer dogs? I'm not caught up on this case, but the family needs our energy. Feel free to correct anything I've said that's wrong (and if it's already been discussed, that's okay - I'm still reading all of Thread 1).
Thank you @10ofRods for having a look at this with 'fresh eyes'.

Byron Bay is a small town, very tourist orientated and attracts many backpackers on their journey in Australia.

It does have schools and a lot of locals who have lived there many years. It is difficult to believe that something of foul play could happen there really. The small town does have quite a lot of homeless people camping around the bush off the beaches.

It can be described as a very laid back place. It is no secret that it can have a bit of a stigma attached to drug use. Personally, i'm not sold on the idea drugs were involved in Theo's disappearance....that's just my own opinion. I am thinking he may have become disorientated in the dark at cosy corner and tried to make his way back to the hostel on the easiest path according to google maps and may have fallen then taken out with the tide. The bush is very dense around cosy corner, with only a few paths in and out.
Thing is, his phone pinged the next day at around 1.20pm from the tower closest to the light house. Did he drop his phone? Did someone plant his phone? Was he ever there? ( at cosy corner).

It appears he left the night club suddenly after being asked to leave. He walked the opposite direction to the hostel he was staying at. He had been in Byron Bay for only 2 days.
Not long enough to know a safe path in and out of cosy corner.
Locals and visitors visit the nightclub. I believe if someone knows something, it will come out.

Thanks again for taking time to look at this thread, you never know, something might come to light many have overlooked? And you are right, the family needs much energy from those who are hopeful in finding Theo.

It is interesting that neither of the two new Daily Mail articles mention the cap even though they ran stories on it when it was found and it was part of the ‘timeline’, but not anymore.

I wonder... did the cap fail to produce any clues? Or did it produce clues the press can’t reveal?

They could have said it wasn’t Theo’s cap after all, or simply that they are still waiting for LE results or an update, but not mentioning the cap at all seems like a calculated decision.

Hmm, I wonder too...

The cap being found was leaked. The information should have never been released except by the Police or the family. There are lots of possibilities including the possibility that there is other unidentified DNA on the cap which could have come from anywhere at any time.
The FAQ at the LFTH Facebook Page still includes mention of a cap being found but not confirming it was Theo's.

Last edited:
Did he drop his phone? Did someone plant his phone? Was he ever there? ( at cosy corner).
An isolated phone ping, as has been suggested before, could be the phone turned back on after being shut down possibly automatically due to low power. It would shut at 5% leaving just enough power to try and start it up and connect before it shuts off again.
That would assume that someone tried to start it.
Remains to be seen whether Theo was at Cosy Corner or not but it seems likely if the cap is genuine. It might be otherwise though and perhaps some focus should be directed elsewhere.

The cap being found was leaked. The information should have never been released except by the Police or the family. There are lots of possibilities including the possibility that there is other unidentified DNA on the cap which could have come from anywhere at any time.
The FAQ at the LFTH Facebook Page still includes mention of a cap being found but not confirming it was Theo's.
The cap was found by a volunteer. A whole group of people were present. I guess that news could not be easily contained.

I think the police has been withholding information from their investigation, not just from the public, but also from people closest to the case. For what reason, I don't know.

An isolated phone ping, as has been suggested before, could be the phone turned back on after being shut down possibly automatically due to low power. It would shut at 5% leaving just enough power to try and start it up and connect before it shuts off again.
That would assume that someone tried to start it.
Remains to be seen whether Theo was at Cosy Corner or not but it seems likely if the cap is genuine. It might be otherwise though and perhaps some focus should be directed elsewhere.
I think the area searched by volunteers are based on the last known GPS location of the phone. Not because they had found a cap in the area. Rather perhaps, the other way round.

If the cap indeed belongs to Theo, it simply reaffirms the GPS data. That his phone and his cap were at the same place that night. And as is well known, he had both items on him leaving Cheeky. But we still don't have confirmation for that cap.

The cap was found by a volunteer. A whole group of people were present. I guess that news could not be easily contained.

I think the police has been withholding information from their investigation, not just from the public, but also from people closest to the case. For what reason, I don't know.
I think you may be right.

There has been nothing released by police in relation to the cap.
Reason may be the cap is a significant piece of the puzzle...let's hope so.

I think the area searched by volunteers are based on the last known GPS location of the phone. Not because they had found a cap in the area. Rather perhaps, the other way round.
I find no mention at all or any GPS location being provided. The last mention is of a 'phone ping' only.
Do you have a credible source that refers to a confirmed GPS location?

I'd consider the FAQ to be creditable (excepting that location from a ping may be inaccurate wrt direction) :
"
Theo sent a message to a friend at 12.20am on the 1st of June.
Theo’s phone pinged a tower that encompasses the area from Clarkes Beach to the Lighthouse before 2pm on June 1. Police and search groups are searching for Theo’s phone. Other areas besides this have also been extensively searched."

Last edited:
I find no mention at all or any GPS location being provided. The last mention is of a 'phone ping' only.
Do you have a credible source that refers to a confirmed GPS location?

I'd consider the FAQ to be creditable (excepting that location from a ping may be inaccurate wrt direction) :
"
Theo sent a message to a friend at 12.20am on the 1st of June.
Theo’s phone pinged a tower that encompasses the area from Clarkes Beach to the Lighthouse before 2pm on June 1. Police and search groups are searching for Theo’s phone. Other areas besides this have also been extensively searched."
Good point. It was JMO.

Thinking he must have location enabled on his phone, and that the apps he used would have provided GPS locations to investigators already. How would searchers know? You tell me...

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member