Australia Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, June 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really think if it was an accident or girl involved they would have come forward. I agree the police know more but then if they knew so much why didn’t they find the hat or his journey earlier just were going off phone ping.

But if they accidentally hurt him snd he died they could have freaked out and run. Too scared to come forward maybe

But if they accidentally hurt him snd he died they could have freaked out and run. Too scared to come forward maybe
The average person would talk to someone that’s what makes this seem more like a career criminal like bega school girls etc.

Thank you. Regardless of the story and I know how MSM can mis report I’m still open minded about them still being together. Most the pictures were long time ago and she doesn’t appear to even live in same country any more so I’m still sceptical until I see if from her or family members.
I’m not sure how relevant this is. Regardless a female would need help to dispose or move a person. The more people that are involved the more chance it would be solved by now. The girlfriend bit I don’t really plays a massive role in his disappearance it makes the chances of a one night stand etc less realistic particularly as he left alone and was under the weather Evident from the footage of him walking unbalanced.

It just crossed my mind as well that if Theo had prearranged plans of going somewhere, meeting someone AFTER Cheeky's then he would have spoke about this to his friend Antoine, the one he went to barbque with earlier at Wake Up before going to Cheeky's. No mention of any plans spoken of have been disclosed, his friend says he was unaware of Theo being made to leave, said they were talking with "other people" in Cheeky's, I guess he means mingling and separated once at Cheeky's. He also said he texted him next day but no reply. So they were good enough friends to exchange numbers, if Theo had pre planned going elsewhere after Cheeky's he would have more than likely said so. He seemed to be open and talkative from the footage at the bottle shop, a friendly guy who likes people, and if he WAS going to a party or similar would think he would have texted Antoine and asked him to join? Unless of course only his friend had his number and Theo didn't have his.
Now I wonder if Theo was given opportunity to finish his drink after being asked to leave? As he would have had time then to make plans with perhaps some new people he met.
It is very clear in the footage of Theo leaving he was not yet looking at his phone, seemed to know where he was going already before pulling it from his pocket. The more I think about this the more I am convinced that whatever plans he made were made at Cheeky's, and even if he planned to go check out Tallows beach in middle of night he would have likely discussed this with someone.
Cheeky's info about all this is also very basic, too basic but perhaps this is because they cannot disclose more. He was dancing having good time had 2 drinks and left is pretty much all that has been said.
Now Cheeky's, reading by the reviews is mostly a backpackers hang out and locals tend to avoid it. There are also gay people who frequent there. I am not pointing fingers at anyone because of their sexual orientation but is it possible someone got a "crush" on Theo, he is a good looking young guy. So besides the drug theory this could be a possibility also. A promise to show him a quick route to the beach? Maybe so he could get there easier next day? A secret short cut?
So say they walked the beach Theo totally unaware of anything not right, they get to the end sit there awhile and then when Theo gets on his phone and at same time the other person makes his advance?
Theo resists, loses phone from his hand and tries to leave, possibly runs back, loses his hat in the scrub on way out. Though still does not explain where he is now as besides his hat no trace seems to have been found. I hope I am wrong about all this but unfortunately cannot dispel this, that a predator got him in his sights. If he did walk off with a girl a girl would be much less likely to try anything, if she planned to get his money or whatever, if he was with anyone it is most likely they were male, or if a girl was present another male also.
I did read of an attack on a female in broad daylight on one of the beaches, now it is possible also for this to happen if someone prefers the same sex and Byron Bay is well known as a holiday destination among the gay communities. I feel a little awkward saying all this, and not making accusations but everything needs to be considered. A terrible theory I know and hoping it was not so, yet cannot discount it at this stage. The drug theory is very possible though Theo's history gives no indication of being into drugs, or even heavy drinking. Friends of Theo stated he always "controlled" himself. But a bit of pot yes I can see, maybe wanted some for next day to make his short stay there even more beautiful and pot is not looked on badly by most, even those who don't generally use drugs are ok with an occasional smoke.
Now though he was not known to use drugs prior, he has been away for 7 months. A lot can happen in this time and one substance in particular is highly addictive and can take the strongest people down even after one or two trials. I do hope he did not get caught up in this nor am I suggesting he did but it can happen to anyone, even good kids get caught and it is epidemic. If mingling with those type of people well the possibility of trouble expands greatly. Many get paranoid, not logical, and aggressive. Not a good combination if alone with someone not right in their mind on a lonely beach. Things can develop quickly.
My scenarios are not very nice and horrify me to even think them but reality is anything is possible. I would like to think he is alive and well, maybe a bad trip if spiked, lost mind etc., being held somewhere as these still are possibilities also, need to remember too his parents know more than us and if they believe he could be drugged and abducted then perhaps they have information to support this theory. I hope this is the case as it gives hope of finding him alive.

Now though he was not known to use drugs prior, he has been away for 7 months. A lot can happen in this time and one substance in particular is highly addictive

didnt have enough cash for ice, its extreamly expensive $300-$400 a gram

T
It just crossed my mind as well that if Theo had prearranged plans of going somewhere, meeting someone AFTER Cheeky's then he would have spoke about this to his friend Antoine, the one he went to barbque with earlier at Wake Up before going to Cheeky's. No mention of any plans spoken of have been disclosed, his friend says he was unaware of Theo being made to leave, said they were talking with "other people" in Cheeky's, I guess he means mingling and separated once at Cheeky's. He also said he texted him next day but no reply. So they were good enough friends to exchange numbers, if Theo had pre planned going elsewhere after Cheeky's he would have more than likely said so. He seemed to be open and talkative from the footage at the bottle shop, a friendly guy who likes people, and if he WAS going to a party or similar would think he would have texted Antoine and asked him to join? Unless of course only his friend had his number and Theo didn't have his.
Now I wonder if Theo was given opportunity to finish his drink after being asked to leave? As he would have had time then to make plans with perhaps some new people he met.
It is very clear in the footage of Theo leaving he was not yet looking at his phone, seemed to know where he was going already before pulling it from his pocket. The more I think about this the more I am convinced that whatever plans he made were made at Cheeky's, and even if he planned to go check out Tallows beach in middle of night he would have likely discussed this with someone.
Cheeky's info about all this is also very basic, too basic but perhaps this is because they cannot disclose more. He was dancing having good time had 2 drinks and left is pretty much all that has been said.
Now Cheeky's, reading by the reviews is mostly a backpackers hang out and locals tend to avoid it. There are also gay people who frequent there. I am not pointing fingers at anyone because of their sexual orientation but is it possible someone got a "crush" on Theo, he is a good looking young guy. So besides the drug theory this could be a possibility also. A promise to show him a quick route to the beach? Maybe so he could get there easier next day? A secret short cut?
So say they walked the beach Theo totally unaware of anything not right, they get to the end sit there awhile and then when Theo gets on his phone and at same time the other person makes his advance?
Theo resists, loses phone from his hand and tries to leave, possibly runs back, loses his hat in the scrub on way out. Though still does not explain where he is now as besides his hat no trace seems to have been found. I hope I am wrong about all this but unfortunately cannot dispel this, that a predator got him in his sights. If he did walk off with a girl a girl would be much less likely to try anything, if she planned to get his money or whatever, if he was with anyone it is most likely they were male, or if a girl was present another male also.
I did read of an attack on a female in broad daylight on one of the beaches, now it is possible also for this to happen if someone prefers the same sex and Byron Bay is well known as a holiday destination among the gay communities. I feel a little awkward saying all this, and not making accusations but everything needs to be considered. A terrible theory I know and hoping it was not so, yet cannot discount it at this stage. The drug theory is very possible though Theo's history gives no indication of being into drugs, or even heavy drinking. Friends of Theo stated he always "controlled" himself. But a bit of pot yes I can see, maybe wanted some for next day to make his short stay there even more beautiful and pot is not looked on badly by most, even those who don't generally use drugs are ok with an occasional smoke.
Now though he was not known to use drugs prior, he has been away for 7 months. A lot can happen in this time and one substance in particular is highly addictive and can take the strongest people down even after one or two trials. I do hope he did not get caught up in this nor am I suggesting he did but it can happen to anyone, even good kids get caught and it is epidemic. If mingling with those type of people well the possibility of trouble expands greatly. Many get paranoid, not logical, and aggressive. Not a good combination if alone with someone not right in their mind on a lonely beach. Things can develop quickly.
My scenarios are not very nice and horrify me to even think them but reality is anything is possible. I would like to think he is alive and well, maybe a bad trip if spiked, lost mind etc., being held somewhere as these still are possibilities also, need to remember too his parents know more than us and if they believe he could be drugged and abducted then perhaps they have information to support this theory. I hope this is the case as it gives hope of finding him alive.
the footage does of him walking leaving CM shows he is rather unstable. Intoxicated/ perhaps spiked drink. Also his movements on the map back tracking in parts would also support him being lost and not totally having his whits about him. I think it is high chance that he he aquanted people perhaps as you say at CM Who preyed on him and waited for whatever to take effect. As none of his friends were asked to leave and based on what they had drank did not think he was out of control but the footage definitely suggests he was not sober and appears staggered and staring at phone intently. If he was offered a ride by someone/ more than one he had just seen at CM Who casually engaged in conversation about his travel and assatained he was solo and venerable he could have be target. They then offer him a ride. He sends a message time is not a concert as he is not himself and lost agenda message whilst they wait for him to ..... pass out etc then horrible.
I just can’t see if he did not get in car that no sightings . The phone doesn’t re adjust and ping from cape tower. And he is clearly lost and appears unsteady . If he was really bad at CM the people he was with you would think would have stayed with. Yet as they didn’t think he had had that much the spiking makes more sense. And may have been gong to door to get fresh air when he was asked to leave as was no good on feet hence his friends did not know he was gone

I really don't think he would go there, but possible he met with others who use. Just reading this story makes my skin crawl though Daily Mail does often over exaggerate. Users have been known to do some very weird stuff and it is rampant everywhere. Byron Bay: Coastal town gripped by ice | Daily Mail Online Now I don't know what it sells for but the known users in my area are not what you would call well off, Ice is usually bought as a point (about a tenth of a gram) for around A$40. <<< copied and pasted from an article about general prices in NSW. Like I said though I don't believe he would go there, just cannot rule it out or that he may have been in company of someone severely "high" and so weird stuff can happen then. Paranoia can set in, psychosis, things a person normally wouldn't do can happen.

he could have been a fun party boy who made friends or acquaintances easily on his travels and planned to meet up with them in byron, maybe someone contacted him about a party at the beach, so he decided to walk there to meet up with his new friends?
his belgium friends think he went to a doof party so they would know the social side to him
and he was only 18 but obviously outgoing and confident and adventurous enough to travel alone to a far away unknown country

I’m not sure how relevant this is. Regardless a female would need help to dispose or move a person. The more people that are involved the more chance it would be solved by now. The girlfriend bit I don’t really plays a massive role in his disappearance it makes the chances of a one night stand etc less realistic particularly as he left alone and was under the weather Evident from the footage of him walking unbalanced.
I don't think he went to meet a girl if he was drunk. Especially someone he recently met, you would want to give a good impression.

I agree just to vanish make being picked up in car with the thought he was going to be taken to hostel perhaps going though footage of those at CM that night and seeing if there were any known predators, on bale, parole, sex crime etc also looking at all number plates caught on CCTV in area that night and running checks for any career criminals in the area. It seems near impossible for no sightings if he walked all that way as suggested on map. His phone could have been in. Another’s pocket those movements could be when the phone was being disposed of by someone else. As he was as we know able to send a message which did not imply immediate dander at 12.20. The times that those movements double backing down st and near oval would be helpful in knowing if it was actually Theo ? .
Did he stop at the end of that st or did someone and the. The phone is removed the next day . Just a thought .

I don't think he went to meet a girl if he was drunk. Especially someone he recently met, you would want to give a good impression.
Yes I agree foul play, and I don’t agree with all the drug ideals particularly hard drugs. He seemed to have had enough. He seems disoriented as it is when you don’t know your surroundings alone and bit under wheather and trusting after travelling for a while let your gaurd down makes more sense that he was preyed on . Terrible though I know but to just vanish. Not one image sighting it’s a busy area on a Friday night

I don't think he was staggering. From the CCTV video just outside CM, he looks like he's looking at his phone and not walking straight because of that, rather than because of drugs or alcohol. It doesn't look (to me) like he nearly missed the pole, but it looks like he avoids it.

I'm also concerned about the comments the parents said about them thinking he's still alive and just unable to communicate to them right now. I wonder how much has not been released yet.

I don't think he was staggering. From the CCTV video just outside CM, he looks like he's looking at his phone and not walking straight because of that, rather than because of drugs or alcohol. It doesn't look (to me) like he nearly missed the pole, but it looks like he avoids it.

I'm also concerned about the comments the parents said about them thinking he's still alive and just unable to communicate to them right now. I wonder how much has not been released yet.

The fact that he has not been found in that last area where the cap was found with the amount of groups going through there searching and police previously. I stop and think to myself where is he?

If foul play is expected was he carried to the car park at Tallow and then driven away elsewhere never to be seen again?

I think it’s normal to hold hope the police have obviously alluded that they were not really close as a parent would not return home if they were closing in or that they had significant evidence that was “matter of time” I still go with they are waiting for a slip up they would have found hat if they knew exact movements and they would still be searching.

Like mentioned previously throughout these this thread. BB and the northern rivers area is the perfect location for one to hunt humans. The Perfect location. There is such a large amount of backpackers traveling large distances with minimal contact with family and friends. If I wanted to hunt people, I would operate in that location, over vast distances. Imagine the people you'd meet traveling from Sydney to Brisbane. I don't know why people are so reluctant to face the possibility, but TH didn't have an accident. And in this big country, in this time, the possibility of a psychopath or sociopath operating is highly possible.

It is fantastic how many are volunteering in the search for Theo and clues however the amount traffic on foot through there I imagine the amount contamination and possible evidence being walked into the ground.

I remember someone commenting on this early on on the LFT page and that they should leave it to police due to the contamination of the area if something was found.

Dammed if you do, dammed if you dont really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TommieHouston