Australia Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, June 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is an opinion piece in this Courier Mail article, about Theo's WhatsApp messages.

Access to the article is via the link in this Courier Mail FB post ....

Courier Mail

Can't say that I agree with the opinion in this instance.

Great thought provoking piece. One of the comments interestingly said, “100% agree with the article. Government already has too much power... Besides, how do we know he doesn't want to b found? He could b in the outback.”

Wasn't his jacket found? I remember reading that but it was never mentioned again. What did I miss?

Presumably he was not travelling with anyone who would notice his absence,

He was travelling alone there it seems, and someone said the guy with him in the bottle shop footage noticed his absence from the hostel and raised an alarm.

I thought he was travelling with his cousin Lisa, or does she live there?

Is it possible he did get back to the hostel but spent time in someone else's room, maybe to drink more. Something happened and he was taken away and dumped somewhere? Just speculating. Does the hostel have cctv to show who's coming and going?

Bank acc has not been accessed. Hopeful, but not probable. Occam's Razor.

This was meant to be a reply. I'm a newb

Great to have you here. So good to have some opinions from someone who lived there and knows what goes on in that area.

We have had several cases here that have touched on Byron Bay and the immediate area. I recall discussing the people who lived in tents and such, so they could use their money for 'other things'. A member here - who hasn't posted in quite a while - had seen them herself, also.

Wasn't his jacket found? I remember reading that but it was never mentioned again. What did I miss?

Is it possible he did get back to the hostel but spent time in someone else's room, maybe to drink more. Something happened and he was taken away and dumped somewhere? Just speculating. Does the hostel have cctv to show who's coming and going?

It's interesting. Where they are searching, is the complete opposite direction of the hostel he was staying in. The hostel he was staying in is perhaps a 45 minute walk out of Byron Bay towards Mullumbimby. That road is long and dark, but they are searching the opposite end of town.

I don't think we have heard confirmation of whether or not the found jacket is Theo's.

Articles say Theo was travelling on his own. His cousin said she saw him 'a few days' before he disappeared. I am presuming that was in another place, as Theo was apparently only in Byron Bay for two days before he disappeared.

"The young man, who had been backpacking solo around Australia ......"
Police concerned for Belgian backpacker missing for 10 days

Great to have you here. So good to have some opinions from someone who lived there and knows what goes on in that area.

We have had several cases here that have touched on Byron Bay and the immediate area. I recall discussing the people who lived in tents and such, so they could use their money for 'other things'. A member here - who hasn't posted in quite a while - had seen them herself, also.

Cheers. Like many places, I have traveled to a few towns and cities in Australia, there is an underbelly. I have thought since I left northern NSW that anything could be going on up there. The stories I heard from backpackers that stayed in Nimbin, you would be shocked. I don't like that area and if I was a predator, that would be paradise.

There is an opinion piece in this Courier Mail article, about Theo's WhatsApp messages.

Access to the article is via the link in this Courier Mail FB post ....

Courier Mail

Can't say that I agree with the opinion in this instance.
Well it's written by the technology writer, not the crime writer.

If the person he was messaging is in Australia, and he/she has nothing to hide, he/she would have come forward by now. For all sorts of reason, that has not happened, and technology can solve crimes and missing person cases so why not.

In case the writer is thinking of protesters in a place like Hong Kong... They are using Telegram during their protests, not WhatsApp.

Ja
I'm unsure about the jacket...... I did it again. Meant to be a reply.

Jacket found early on wasn’t his. Last phone ping was from the Cape area. Family & friends say it was him in the Caltex/police cctv and aloha cctv but police can’t definitely confirm it so aren’t using it. Totally agree with you (re occams razor ). No activity since early morning 1st June - we’re probably all on the same page.

Well it's written by the technology writer, not the crime writer.

If the person he was messaging is in Australia, and he/she has nothing to hide, he/she would have come forward by now. For all sorts of reason, that has not happened, and technology can solve crimes and missing person cases so why not.

In case the writer is thinking of protesters in a place like Hong Kong... They are using Telegram during their protests, not WhatsApp.

Exactly. Why hasn’t the person he was messaging come forward? They either don’t know he’s missing and the subject of a police investigation, or they do.

Great thought provoking piece. One of the comments interestingly said, “100% agree with the article. Government already has too much power... Besides, how do we know he doesn't want to b found? He could b in the outback.”

I guess that the commenter had not seen tonight's news. It said that Theo had told his friends/family in Belgium that he was ready to go home. His flights were booked and he would soon be on his way to Melbourne to catch the flight home.

Sounds as if he wasn't going to do his whole gap year in Australia. Perhaps wanted to enjoy summer in his hometown with his mates before Uni started.

I had an experience there once where I was walking to the 7/11 and a stranger approached me saying, I can tell you have some discomfort on your left side, if you let me, I can adjust this for you now. It was about 1 am and I was walking by myself. I declined the offer and....... I also witness a 50-year-old man and a boy at the age of 12 (apx) coming out of the bushes near a very popular waterfall (I think). Between Nimbin and Byron Bay. They were locked in arms and the boy was kissing then the man in an unusual way. I took the number plate and a couple of weeks later a man was arrested in Bangalow with child *advertiser censored*. I also got kicked out of a caravan park after I witnessed a local (apx 50 years) grab a young female's backpackers behind without prompting or permission, I took his no plate but he noticed. The owners were friends of his and kicked me out of that backpackers, I also got wind he was asking people to 'deal with me for money'.
Byron Bay has a very dark side.

Cousin Lisa’s based in Brisbane I think. All reports and sources agree he didn’t go back to the hostel. They all seem quite clear on that but I’m unsure why (cctv?). Not sure about anymore cctv apart from the two made public. The police would’ve had the bottle shop one for awhile, so they’d have more for sure. The jacket found wasn’t his. They reckon they have nothing except cctv, a phone ping, a convo on messenger at 12.20am and something on what’s app.

Cheers. Like many places, I have traveled to a few towns and cities in Australia, there is an underbelly. I have thought since I left northern NSW that anything could be going on up there. The stories I heard from backpackers that stayed in Nimbin, you would be shocked. I don't like that area and if I was a predator, that would be paradise.
Aron, I am getting curious about the nature of a predator. I can understand issues surrounding "the other things"... But what would the predator be after.....:oops:

I had an experience there once where I was walking to the 7/11 and a stranger approached me saying, I can tell you have some discomfort on your left side, if you let me, I can adjust this for you now. It was about 1 am and I was walking by myself. I declined the offer and....... I also witness a 50-year-old man and a boy at the age of 12 (apx) coming out of the bushes near a very popular waterfall (I think). Between Nimbin and Byron Bay. They were locked in arms and the boy was kissing then the man in an unusual way. I took the number plate and a couple of weeks later a man was arrested in Bangalow with child *advertiser censored*. I also got kicked out of a caravan park after I witnessed a local (apx 50 years) grab a young female's backpackers behind without prompting or permission, I took his no plate but he noticed. The owners were friends of his and kicked me out of that backpackers, I also got wind he was asking people to 'deal with me for money'.
Byron Bay has a very dark side.
Oh dear..... I'd suggest you call Crimestoppers, pronto.

I guess that the commenter had not seen tonight's news. It said that Theo had told his friends/family in Belgium that he was ready to go home. His flights were booked and he would soon be on his way to Melbourne to catch the flight home.

Sounds as if he wasn't going to do his whole gap year in Australia. Perhaps wanted to enjoy summer in his hometown with his mates before Uni started.

Yeah, he was apparently a methodical organiser and planner. He’d booked his bus ride south, was due to spend time with his godfather in Melbourne and then fly home. On the morning he disappeared he was messaging a relative about coming home soon to help his father with a band. Theo was going home and keen to get home.

Aron, I am getting curious about the nature of a predator. I can understand issues surrounding "the other things"... But what would the predator be after.....:oops:

I have read a few things about the 'cruisers' around there oggling the young lads. I fear for Theo having been walking alone (at least part of the time?) that night, and with his said level of intoxication, and with the area his last ping came from. His photos show him to be a good looking young guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juliehollz