Australia Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, June 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone's probably said this already but ... phone could have died in early hours of the morning and shut itself off, whether Theo still had it in his possession or not. Someone found it the next afternoon and turned it on to see if it worked. It would have turned on briefly (maybe enough to ping a tower) then shut down again. They could have seen it worked, thrown out the sim card and then just gone on with using the phone. They mightn't even have any idea so many people are searching for it, could have left the area or even the country or maybe just not care.

I agree here. I think any general person would report the phone if they knew it was considered such an important peice of a missing person however you have the general also who couldnt care less. Gosh imagine if it was then on sold to some poor unsuspecting person. Having that phone in your possession and then suspecting it may have been Theos and you lived in the Byron area would be pretty overwhelming.

Did LE manage to speak to everyone staying at the hostel at the same time as Theo before they left and people who were at Cheeky Monkey’s the night he was last seen? It worry’s me the perp(s) could be other backpackers who are long gone and either back home or anywhere in the world now. I wish we knew if Theo came to harm or if he ended up in the sea in a tragic accident.

I’m sure they would’ve asked straight up for the guest, staff & visitors list. I guess it’s really hard when there’s a person missing but no evidence of foul play or a crime. You’d just be following up a missing persons report wouldn’t you?

I agree here. I think any general person would report the phone if they knew it was considered such an important peice of a missing person however you have the general also who couldnt care less. Gosh imagine if it was then on sold to some poor unsuspecting person. Having that phone in your possession and then suspecting it may have been Theos and you lived in the Byron area would be pretty overwhelming.
What can the phone provide if found now?

Phones probably broken anyway, And didn’t they say it was passport locked by his fingerprint or are there ways around that

The WhatsApp message, at least, if one was made.

If they find his phone they could potentially see his messages and who (or some info around) he was chatting with? If there’s a perpetrator in this story, they’d be keen to have or destroy that phone right?

Phones probably broken anyway, And didn’t they say it was passport locked by his fingerprint or are there ways around that

I am not sure how true this is or if it is for all mobiles but info on if your phone is lost and new sim attempted after factory reset etc.

So if its reported lost which would be with police then a carroer could be notified if someone has it and tried to put new sim in it;

https://www.quora.com/Can-you-find-...rd-is-removed-and-if-its-been-factory-reseted

I am not sure how true this is or if it is for all mobiles but info on if your phone is lost and new sim attempted after factory reset etc.

So if its reported lost which would be with police then a carroer could be notified if someone has it and tried to put new sim in it;

https://www.quora.com/Can-you-find-...rd-is-removed-and-if-its-been-factory-reseted

Think any phone can be tracked if the IMEI is known and the phones on. So if someone changes the SIM, the IMEI stays the same and can be used to track.

I’ll post some pics and more insights from the trip when I get home this arvo. Cos we were in CC as the sun went down and got quite dark very very quickly!
Following up from my earlier post with some photos.
1. Google maps app showing way from CC to Wake Up standing at CC
2. Google maps app showing how far I made it up the hill
3. Photo looking up the hill from as far as I could go
4. Attempting to go up another path closer to the rocks
5. A photo showing the terrain at end of CC

The last photo is taken around 5.10 pm - just after high tide of 1.5m (I believe)
Walking back to the carpark it got very dark very quickly and and there is no way I would troop through those bushes on my own at night.

Attachments

• 059440B5-D812-4B44-81B9-FB0DD4DE2953.jpeg
    059440B5-D812-4B44-81B9-FB0DD4DE2953.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 0C54170F-7FFB-4F94-A4E1-A59C94D3FE23.jpeg
    0C54170F-7FFB-4F94-A4E1-A59C94D3FE23.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 9ED1B145-6CDA-40DD-9CF3-F6451CE31740.jpeg
    9ED1B145-6CDA-40DD-9CF3-F6451CE31740.jpeg
    309 KB · Views: 67
  • 3EF963F7-73F5-4FB9-B25E-7EFCD6E88D92.jpeg
    3EF963F7-73F5-4FB9-B25E-7EFCD6E88D92.jpeg
    246.9 KB · Views: 64
  • B3B42060-A6D7-4605-9A58-5CF64504882F.jpeg
    B3B42060-A6D7-4605-9A58-5CF64504882F.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 64
)

He walks down the Milne beach track to Tallow Beach. (10 to 15 minute walk)

I would just like to clarify this point, according to the gps map of Theo’s phone in The Australian, he doesn’t actually walk down Milne beach track. If you open google maps using safari, it names and shows Milne beach track, it veers off to the right, it’s quite a small track at the split. I know this cos I walked past it today.
I’ve been interested since the gps data showed he didn’t actually follow the Milne track, he went further north up what I now know is a fire trail, it doesn’t have a name but leads right behind the Arakwal depot, you can see it in the map, it’s actually the most prominent of the trails on google maps on satellite (cos this is a fire trail, a vehicle can go down, but a vehicle could not go down the Milne beach trail).
I was interested in this cos on google maps it seems that the fire trail simply comes too an end, but Théo then veers right on the map released, so I figure there must be a way.
It took about 10 mins to come to where it looks like the end of the fire trail from Milne St. Where the trail looks like it ends on google maps satellite is kinda like a cross junction, on the left there is a path that actually leads too Tallow Beach Rd. I could see the cars and people walking past, it’s probably about 70-100m out to the road, and it’s big enough to fit a vehicle through out onto Tallow Beach Rd and there is a chain between two posts which is locked off the road (makes sense being a fire trail a vehicle has access from Milne street and Tallow Beach Rd entry).
Back on the cross junction there is a path going straight ahead, it’s only a walking path but actually was well worn, I didn’t walk this but the direction is towards Tallow beach carpark.
Then there is a path on the right, it was not well worn at all, there was a tree hanging over it about 6 and a half feet tall and a cluster of sticks on the path.
Now honestly the only reason I chose to walk this path, the path on the right was cos it matches Theo’s phone gps. I didn’t feel great going this way and it was the middle of the day, so can’t imagine being in this spot around midnight, I doubt you would even see the path on the right, even with a torch, cos from there it would make sense to take the two other paths that were visually more appealing and well trodden.
Now walking down this path about 100 meters in I came across a sign from 2018 that stated somebodies structure was to be removed at a certain date as it was illegal, and there was nothing apart from the sign that would alert of a structure being there at anytime, obviously someone’s permanent camp.
I kept walking down the path and about 100 meters further I came to what appeared to be a dead end, but I looked left and I could see a path that was going to take me towards the beach, as I could now hear the ocean, and then I looked right and I saw about 25 meters in the scrub an actual camp, it had clothes hanging on a clothesline between two trees, there was a tent, so it was obviously an in use camp. It was at this time I decided to turn around and head back cos it just freaked me out. I did alert appropriate authorities about the camp and location but was told there are hundreds of camps in that area.
Just wanted to share my journey with you all to hopefully shed some more light on the case.
Photos below:
1. (Top left) The path I took today from Milne St and blue dot showing the location of cross junction
2. (Top right) At the cross junction looking straight ahead (track towards the carpark)
3. (Middle left) Looking right at the less travelled path where it looks like Théos phone went.
4. (Middle right) Looking back at the fire trail I just walked
5. (Bottom left) Looking left towards Tallow Beach Rd
6. (Bottom right) The sign I found along the less trodden track

Attachments

• 78A7C399-B434-4E13-9CCC-880004629238.jpeg
    78A7C399-B434-4E13-9CCC-880004629238.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 18EFEDC1-369A-4B61-BD3F-9E4ECF414AF9.jpeg
    18EFEDC1-369A-4B61-BD3F-9E4ECF414AF9.jpeg
    190 KB · Views: 68
  • 44F67B8B-8673-4469-9CED-979B3043D9BF.jpeg
    44F67B8B-8673-4469-9CED-979B3043D9BF.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 7934E3C2-94FF-47F8-A528-71A76BB07D3B.jpeg
    7934E3C2-94FF-47F8-A528-71A76BB07D3B.jpeg
    186.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 20F40AB3-85F3-4E12-999E-BC1DAB6F5B85.jpeg
    20F40AB3-85F3-4E12-999E-BC1DAB6F5B85.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 71
  • A4AA377C-6561-44F0-A0AC-7F27BEDC23A8.jpeg
    A4AA377C-6561-44F0-A0AC-7F27BEDC23A8.jpeg
    231.1 KB · Views: 69
I would just like to clarify this point, according to the gps map of Theo’s phone in The Australian, he doesn’t actually walk down Milne beach track. If you open google maps using safari, it names and shows Milne beach track, it veers off to the right, it’s quite a small track at the split. I know this cos I walked past it today.
I’ve been interested since the gps data showed he didn’t actually follow the Milne track, he went further north up what I now know is a fire trail, it doesn’t have a name but leads right behind the Arakwal depot, you can see it in the map, it’s actually the most prominent of the trails on google maps on satellite (cos this is a fire trail, a vehicle can go down, but a vehicle could not go down the Milne beach trail).
I was interested in this cos on google maps it seems that the fire trail simply comes too an end, but Théo then veers right on the map released, so I figure there must be a way.
It took about 10 mins to come to where it looks like the end of the fire trail from Milne St. Where the trail looks like it ends on google maps satellite is kinda like a cross junction, on the left there is a path that actually leads too Tallow Beach Rd. I could see the cars and people walking past, it’s probably about 70-100m out to the road, and it’s big enough to fit a vehicle through out onto Tallow Beach Rd and there is a chain between two posts which is locked off the road (makes sense being a fire trail a vehicle has access from Milne street and Tallow Beach Rd entry).
Back on the cross junction there is a path going straight ahead, it’s only a walking path but actually was well worn, I didn’t walk this but the direction is towards Tallow beach carpark.
Then there is a path on the right, it was not well worn at all, there was a tree hanging over it about 6 and a half feet tall and a cluster of sticks on the path.
Now honestly the only reason I chose to walk this path, the path on the right was cos it matches Theo’s phone gps. I didn’t feel great going this way and it was the middle of the day, so can’t imagine being in this spot around midnight, I doubt you would even see the path on the right, even with a torch, cos from there it would make sense to take the two other paths that were visually more appealing and well trodden.
Now walking down this path about 100 meters in I came across a sign from 2018 that stated somebodies structure was to be removed at a certain date as it was illegal, and there was nothing apart from the sign that would alert of a structure being there at anytime, obviously someone’s permanent camp.
I kept walking down the path and about 100 meters further I came to what appeared to be a dead end, but I looked left and I could see a path that was going to take me towards the beach, as I could now hear the ocean, and then I looked right and I saw about 25 meters in the scrub an actual camp, it had clothes hanging on a clothesline between two trees, there was a tent, so it was obviously an in use camp. It was at this time I decided to turn around and head back cos it just freaked me out. I did alert appropriate authorities about the camp and location but was told there are hundreds of camps in that area.
Just wanted to share my journey with you all to hopefully shed some more light on the case.
Photos below:
1. (Top left) The path I took today from Milne St and blue dot showing the location of cross junction
2. (Top right) At the cross junction looking straight ahead (track towards the carpark)
3. (Middle left) Looking right at the less travelled path where it looks like Théos phone went.
Photos below:

Thanks for your efforts and sharing. I Agree he took the fire trail up to Tallow Road and not the full track on Milne. Noway i reckon I would even walk through there in the day time let alone night!

Totally agree regarding the ping and more would be received if his phone had been switched on all the time through the night / morning.

If his phone was in sleep mode I assume no ping would be received until it is out of that mode to allow calls / messages etc to come through
I'm not very techno. I don't quite get how all.this phone message and 'ping' stuff works. I have an Oppo phone and if my phone is in sleep mode if a message has been sent then a little light will flash on the left hand top side of my phone. Do you mean that a 'ping' to the tower will not happen until the phone is opened and the message is actually read? Or would this only be the case when a phone has been turned off ie: A mesage will not show as being received if the other person's phone is switched to off so then a 'ping' would be delayed until it's switched on? Can someone please clarify all this?

Photos below:

Fantastic info & effort thanks FknTdawg!
Pretty brave too and hope you didn’t go it alone. That track looks creepy by day let alone night.

Given all of this, how would he navigate that alone in the dark, muster the motivation to go to all that trouble - down a winding scrubby track - in order to sit on a beach, or even know about it? He wouldn’t. He would need to be lead by a local. A local I bet he met up with at the oval on Cowper Street. See the dots on his path.

Photos below:

That’s actually really, really creepy. These camp people could intermingle with backpackers easily if youngish and easy going enough wouldn’t you say? They’d know the paths well too.

You’ve really fleshed out the path he took. I was wondering why he choose the wiggly one down to the beach rather than the more conventional track. Look he must have felt ok with his companion/s.

Attachments

• 6E44E4C1-2550-456B-AC57-7CF43F1FB2A7.jpeg
    6E44E4C1-2550-456B-AC57-7CF43F1FB2A7.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 43
I've read back over but it's hard on my phone! Can anyone tell me what time he did this walk? Is it before the last msg he actually sent? Did he definitely still have his phone? Or could the phone have been with someone else?

I've read back over but it's hard on my phone! Can anyone tell me what time he did this walk? Is it before the last msg he actually sent? Did he definitely still have his phone? Or could the phone have been with someone else?

After he left Cheeky Monkeys at 11pm. He went straight up to the park between Tennyson and Cowper Street and seems to have hung around there for a bit before walking to the beach track. So at a guess he took the walk from say 11.30pm onwards...?

The last message was sent later on (12.30 to 1am?) and you’d assume it’s him sending it due to what they’re chatting about. Seems things went strange after 1pm.

Do you mean that a 'ping' to the tower will not happen until the phone is opened and the message is actually read?
A 'ping' can simply happen when a phone is looking for a tower to connect to or a more favourable connection. It can 'ping' towers to determine which provides the best connection. In this case the range of the towers at the Cape and the distance to others and their range makes it possible that only the tower(s) at the Cape were pinged.

This can happen during start up. The phone IMEI is sent which enables lost or stolen phones to be located.

After he left Cheeky Monkeys at 11pm. He went straight up to the park between Tennyson and Cowper Street and seems to have hung around there for a bit before walking to the beach track. So at a guess he took the walk from say 11.30pm onwards...?

The last message was sent later on (12.30 to 1am?) and you’d assume it’s him sending it due to what they’re chatting about. Seems things went strange after 1pm.
Did you mean 1am?

Is weird if he hung around anywhere for a bit by himself and didn't message anyone. Especially if he was meeting someone. Surely he had someone with him. Is so strange that noone saw him. (That we know I guess.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Briankap