Australia Australia - Two Female Backpackers attacked at Salt Creek, SA, 9 Feb 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · now
Brazilian says they split up, she headed toward the gate to #SaltCreek and hid, "totally naked", in a bush on the dunes.

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 29s30 seconds ago
A white car came by and she ran to it, screaming, & got in. "He tried to kill me, he will kill all of us, let's go because he will kill us."

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 1m1 minute ago
Brazilian says the men in the car gave her a jumper. She insisted they go look for the German woman. #SaltCreek

Sean Fewster‏ @SeanFewster · 2m2 minutes ago
Brazilian: "She was there by herself, she was on the trip because I invited her." But there was "no sign" of her or accused. #SaltCreek

Sean Fewste @SeanFewster · 54s54 seconds ago
As they left #SaltCreek, the group encountered a group of off-duty police officers fishing - but Brazilian didn't trust them.

Sean Fewster‏ @SeanFewster 1m1 minute ago
Brazilian: "I thought 'is this the part of the movie where you think you are getting away and then something bad happens?'." #SaltCreek

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 7m7 minutes ago
The officers convinced the rescuers they were legitimate, and the Brazilian was taken back to the #SaltCreek roadhouse.

What clever and brave girls. Luckily, the Brazilian girl has a strong interest in horror movies, probably helped her in the end.

In a world where we do everything online, this is really crap. The Gen Xes while internet savy some are more reserved in what they will do online as far as meeting. In all honesty gumtree seemed like a safer site, buy and sell. Its not like it's a dating site (or maybe it is). In the past I have met people who I have known online including in the USA and New Zealand .. Not by advertising but via a games site having known them for a few years in some cases. The Gen Ys feel safe with the internet to a certain degree. While there is NO justification for the attacks that occurred we need to make sure that we protect ourselves in this relatively new environment particularly when meeting people.

The difference in societies where other cultures do no necessarily trust police officers .. unless they just said .. "We are undercover police officers" and unless there is ID we would also think it was a line.

"Sean Fewste @SeanFewster · 54s54 seconds ago

• As they left #SaltCreek, the group encountered a group of off-duty police officers fishing - but Brazilian didn't trust them."

Thanks JudgeJudi for posting.

Incidentally I am Australian not from South Australia, JudgeJudi and I struggle with the secrecy of this and the fact it isn't national news only state news. I would also like to be informed of the secrets that South Australians aren't legally allowed to know.

Hi DRT, Re your last para., I struggle with the fact that it's getting so little coverage in the news too and also the extremely small number of members here. I thought we’d have dozens following this trial. I've only followed trials in South Africa, the UK and the US and I thought this one would be fascinating. It is, but I miss the comments of others so thank you for posting.

I read recently that this is the most secretive trial in SA's history. I'd give a lot to know what's going on behind the scenes but I truly believe there's a very good reason for it. I don’t like to speculate though as it achieves nothing.

When I was a girl, people looked up to the police, teachers, members of the clergy etc etc. Unfortunately those days are long gone and many young people don’t seem to have much respect for anyone, including themselves. It’s very sad that the misdeeds of a very small percentage have tainted all the others in some people’s eyes.

The internet has brought about massive changes to our lives, mostly for the good, but it’s certainly made life a lot easier for criminals, and that’s not even taking the dark web into account. Lots of young people take chances, and always have. "Oh, that wouldn't happen to me". There's one big difference now compared to earlier days though ... drugs. That said, it was a real shock to read that travel advisories are being given for Oz.

Was just watching bits of the "crimes that shook australia" on the Falconio case. I am hoping it is being looked into whether they pinned the wrong guy. Seeking to overpower two people and likely kill them (with a likely sexual assault bent to the crime) is very brazen and highly unusual. It was noted that the offender tied Joanne's hands and she struggled too much for him to bind her feet. She ultimately got away. I note The accused made a point of ensuring the brazilian's hands were bound and her feet were even bound as he led her.

What a coincidence aequitas because I watched it tonight too. I'm sure Murdoch is a very violent man, but RH looks far more like the identikit pic to me. Maybe, just maybe this is one of the reasons for the extreme secrecy. The DNA evidence should be able to clear that up, and it's a lot better now than it was back then. If they have locked up the wrong man, he'd no doubt sue for millions.

I'm a new follower to this thread and reading the news stories, etc has been frustrating due to the secrecy as mentioned. No pic of the accused, no name. I understand, to a degree, protecting someone if there is a smidge of a chance they are being unjustly accused. However that doesn't seem to be the case. I would be afraid that if he was acquitted on a technicality and released, he'd be out there without anyone knowing what he looked like or what his name was and he'd be free to harm someone else. It's fine to protect the innocent, but all of us are innocent too - as well as uninformed at this point.

This whole story is incredible. The victims deserve better than being hidden behind some legal secrecy. Their bravery should be appreciated as how many other lives did they help save.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm a new follower to this thread and reading the news stories, etc has been frustrating due to the secrecy as mentioned. No pic of the accused, no name. I understand, to a degree, protecting someone if there is a smidge of a chance they are being unjustly accused. However that doesn't seem to be the case. I would be afraid that if he was acquitted on a technicality and released, he'd be out there without anyone knowing what he looked like or what his name was and he'd be free to harm someone else. It's fine to protect the innocent, but all of us are innocent too - as well as uninformed at this point.

Howdy there, It's lovely to have someone new. I'll hunt around for a pic and email you a link if you like. It's getting late here (past midnight) but I'll help you out, if not tonight, then tomorrow.

Here you go. It's the guy in the green tank top who looks like Tom Sellick. There's a few pics of him.

[url]https://www.google.com.au/search?q=roman+heinze&client=tablet-android-acer&prmd=inv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwix-I-NzI_LAhVR4WMKHXbhCR4Q_AUIBygB&biw=1024&bih=768#imgrc=qOG2NHdOAGBo-M%3A[/URL]

RHs 4WD

attachment.php

Attachments

• 4WD.JPG
    4WD.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 91
This comprehensive article of the day’s proceedings also contains a video of the chase through Salt Creek, 2 Images of the bikini bottom, the blood soaked towel, the rope used to tie up the Brazilian, sunglasses found at the scene, blood on the side of the car, a cable tie found in the sand at the site and gaffer tape.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...e/news-story/e9deec6786ae87b6973bd28aa2cfaf4c

Thank you! I haven't had a chance to do all my homework yet, so I apologize in advance if this has been discussed ad nauseum, but did this guy have a record or previous arrests?

What a horrendous crime. I need to go and read from the start now too.

Good morning everyone. The court coverage is all over the place because I just discovered that XX of the Brazilian started yesterday.

Kim Robertson @KimRobertson_9 · 18h18 hours ago
Accused man's lawyer suggests to Brazilian woman she took her own bikini off at the campsite. She denies it #SaltCreek @9NewsAdel

Lawyer: "I suggest to you at some stage you lost your temper with (accused man) and you ran off into the sand dunes" @9NewsAdel

Lawyer: "I suggest he didn't push you to the ground and punch you. I suggest there was no knife & nothing like this happened" @9NewsAdel

Kim Robertson‏ @KimRobertson_9 · 18h18 hours ago
Lawyer: "He did not start licking you and kissing you like you've described." @9NewsAdel #SaltCreek

The first thing that immediately jumps out is that none of the above can be corroborated. He cut her bikini bottom off. Why would she cut them off when she could simply untie the sides. The Brazilian was hospitalised. Is the defence going to suggest that she injured herself too and then ran onto the roadside, hysterical, because it would be good theatre. Just sickening.

https://twitter.com/KimRobertson_9?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

For the sake of brevity, the following tweets are all from Sean Fewster

Sean Fewster‏ @SeanFewster · 20m20 minutes ago
The #SaltCreek trial has resumed. Cross-examination of the Brazilian alleged victim continues. @theTiser

Defence suggests someone told Brazilian that the German had been hit with a hammer. She says she cannot remember "hammer" being said.

Defence suggests accused used a mallet, not a hammer, to put up the tents. "They are all hammers to me," Brazilian replies. #SaltCreek

Cross-examination has concluded. DPP calls the German backpacker to give her evidence. #SaltCreek Repl

Sean Fewster‏ @SeanFewster · 21m21 minutes ago
German woman says she was a backpacker, had travelled Australia for several months prior to coming to Adelaide. #SaltCreek

She used @Couchsurfing, social media to meet people, arrange lifts and organise accommodation "to share experiences". #SaltCreek

German says she knew no one in Adelaide, stayed with a @Couchsurfing app user, was here for 2wks prior to alleged #SaltCreek incident.

Like the Brazilian, the German had @Gumtree ad looking for ride to Melbourne. She asked to join her new friend's arrangements

German on meeting the accused: "I was a bit surprised that he was so old. I was expecting he would be the same age as us." #SaltCreek

German: "I always travel with other backpackers and they are all 20-30 years old, but not older than that." #SaltCreek

German: "I thought 'two young girls and there's a guy'. It was a bit surprising." #SaltCreek

German: "But I thought 'I'm not alone, (the Brazilian) is here as well, she knows him a little bit, it's fine." #SaltCreek

German: "It was a bit strange... he didn't really introduce himself. I asked him 'what's your name, actually?' and he sort of mumbled."

Asked to describe the accused's appearance, the German says: "He looked a bit messy." #SaltCreek

German says she didn't know they were going to #SaltCreek. She thought Brazilian and the accused had made plans, though, "so it’s okay”.

German says that, when they arrived at #SaltCreek, the beach was empty but accused "kept driving for maybe 4km". #SaltCreek

German: "(The Brazilian) and I were already wondering why we did not stop because it looked all the same along the beach ." #SaltCreek

They didn't realise they'd be camping there because accused "didn't really talk to us about that". #SaltCreek

After making camp, the backpackers talked to one another while the accused was setting up his fishing rods. #SaltCreek

German: "We were both feeling a bit confused because we were not expecting we would camp there." #SaltCreek

German: "I said to her 'he's a little bit weird, isn't he?' and she said 'yeah'." #SaltCreek

Good morning everyone. The court coverage is all over the place because I just discovered that XX of the Brazilian started yesterday.

Accused man's lawyer suggests to Brazilian woman she took her own bikini off at the campsite. She denies it #SaltCreek @9NewsAdel

Lawyer: "I suggest to you at some stage you lost your temper with (accused man) and you ran off into the sand dunes" @9NewsAdel

Lawyer: "I suggest he didn't push you to the ground and punch you. I suggest there was no knife & nothing like this happened" @9NewsAdel

Kim Robertson‏ @KimRobertson_9 · 18h18 hours ago
Lawyer: "He did not start licking you and kissing you like you've described." @9NewsAdel #SaltCreek

The first thing that immediately jumps out is that none of the above can be corroborated. He cut her bikini bottom off. Why would she cut them off when she could simply untie the sides. The Brazilian was hospitalised. Is the defence going to suggest that she injured herself too and then ran onto the roadside, hysterical, because it would be good theatre. Just sickening.

https://twitter.com/KimRobertson_9?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Thanks so much JudgeJudi for keeping us up to date, so appreciated :tyou:

Just seeing now Brazilian being questioned coming up in the media.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...e/news-story/e9deec6786ae87b6973bd28aa2cfaf4c

In cross-examination, Bill Boucaut SC, for the man, suggested the Brazilian’s evidence was incorrect.
“I suggest to you that you took your bikini off ... you were strutting around with no clothes on,” he said.
The Brazilian replied: “No, I got naked when he ripped my bikini off with a knife.”
Mr Boucaut suggested events had not unfolded as she had described, saying his client “did no such thing”.
“I suggest there was no knife (and) nothing like that happened ... you had an argument about the cooking and ran off into the sand dunes,” he said.
“I suggest to you that the very last time you saw (the man) was at the camp, and you ran off into the sand dunes without any clothes on.”
The Brazilian said that was incorrect.
“The last time I saw (the accused), he was inside the car, driving toward our direction,” she said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back