Australia Australia - Two Female Backpackers attacked at Salt Creek, SA, 9 Feb 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This was published when the Coorong story broke:

“Fear of ‘backpacker killers’ is right up there with spiders, sharks and poisonous snakes when it comes to the primal fears held by the rest of the world about Australia, transforming our stunning landscapes into nightmarish backdrops.

The incident at Tea Tree Point near Salt Creek in Coorong National Park in South Australia saw two blood-soaked European backpackers rescued from the sand dunes.

It evoked scenes reminiscent of Australian horror flick Wolf Creek and has sent backpacker agencies into meltdown”.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...a/news-story/5a615dd096d9fc2ead5958e9c13d23c1

Last week we learned of this:

A British backpacker who was repeatedly raped, bashed and choked during a two-month hostage ordeal in outback Queensland was saved after a routine traffic stop.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...eks-of-rape-and-bashings-20170306-gus2i4.html

Then this story broke just two days ago. This time a Belgian tourist abducted east of Adelaide.

A 52-year-old man will be charged with serious sex offences and with the abduction of 24-year-old backpacker after being arrested at a property near Meningie on Saturday”.

Incredibly, she too posted an advertisement on the Gumtree website, asking for work in Victoria.

http://www.news.com.au/national/sou...e/news-story/a3eabcc641b458b8a61883c61fbd1f94

You really have to wonder if sites such as Gumtree are becoming a hunting ground for predators. I read only the other day of a young woman who was asked to forward photos of herself to someone who said he could take her to some destination. He was in his 50s IIRC. She declined.

Thankful that the one woman was able to run away. I truly don't think he would have let either one survive if she hadn't.

I would imagine that his D.N.A. will match up with other cases. People don't start doing heinous acts like this when they are in their 50's !

This was published when the Coorong story broke:

“Fear of ‘backpacker killers’ is right up there with spiders, sharks and poisonous snakes when it comes to the primal fears held by the rest of the world about Australia, transforming our stunning landscapes into nightmarish backdrops.

The incident at Tea Tree Point near Salt Creek in Coorong National Park in South Australia saw two blood-soaked European backpackers rescued from the sand dunes.

It evoked scenes reminiscent of Australian horror flick Wolf Creek and has sent backpacker agencies into meltdown”.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...a/news-story/5a615dd096d9fc2ead5958e9c13d23c1

Last week we learned of this:

A British backpacker who was repeatedly raped, bashed and choked during a two-month hostage ordeal in outback Queensland was saved after a routine traffic stop.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...eks-of-rape-and-bashings-20170306-gus2i4.html

Then this story broke just two days ago. This time a Belgian tourist abducted east of Adelaide.

A 52-year-old man will be charged with serious sex offences and with the abduction of 24-year-old backpacker after being arrested at a property near Meningie on Saturday”.

Incredibly, she too posted an advertisement on the Gumtree website, asking for work in Victoria.

http://www.news.com.au/national/sou...e/news-story/a3eabcc641b458b8a61883c61fbd1f94

You really have to wonder if sites such as Gumtree are becoming a hunting ground for predators. I read only the other day of a young woman who was asked to forward photos of herself to someone who said he could take her to some destination. He was in his 50s IIRC. She declined.

This may be the link to the article you were describing French Tourist going to Melbourne. 2nd article has reference to gumtree.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/30827717/french-tourist-shares-details-of-alarming-encounter-with-stranger-following-salt-creek-backpacker-attacks/#page1

[url]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3458146/Man-accused-Salt-Creek-rape-attempted-murders-met-backpacker-victims-posted-ad-Gumtree-asking-lift-Adelaide-Melbourne.html

[/URL]

Yes, that's the one ... the French woman. Tourists worry about crocs, snakes and spiders. I'd be more worried about the 2-legged critters.

Yes, that's the one ... the French woman. Tourists worry about crocs, snakes and spiders. I'd be more worried about the 2-legged critters.
yes, this happened at roughly just before the Salt Creek case so it is possible it was the accused who did this (but like everything in this suppressed case, we may never know!). The woman appeared on TV after the case broke so it was suggestive it could be the accused.

Re the last few posts, and as court is late starting once again, this is on Fox News this morning:

"Foreign travellers have been warned against visiting Alice Springs, after a spate of tragedies involving international tourists. The central Australian town is now featured in several European and UK travel advisories.

Germany, the UK, Italy and Canada advise their residents that caution is needed in Alice Springs due to harassment, robberies and attacks including sexual assaults.

As reported in The NT News, Tourism Research Australia statistics show over the past 10years, International visitors to the NT plunged from 354,659 to 292,958 last year, with the biggest falls among UK visitors (78,450 to 41,342) and Scandinavian tourists down from 12,229 to 6,660.

That's virtually a 50% drop in last year alone. This can only get worse with the spate of attacks currently in the news.

On a different note, I'm absolutely amazed at the tiny number of members following this thread. I didn't expect many from overseas but where are the Aussies?

Sean Fewster‏ @SeanFewster 24m24 minutes ago
#SaltCreek trial resumes with further evidence from roadhouse owner Adam Stewart. @theTiser

Sean Fewster‏ @SeanFewster 20m20 minutes ago
Mr Stewart recalls how he and police drove across the salt pan to meet with Brazilian woman and her rescuers. #SaltCreek

Sean Fewster‏ @SeanFewster 26m26 minutes ago
Mr Stewart told the Brazilian woman "you're safe". She was wearing clothes provided by her rescuers, had a towel over one side of her face.

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 27m27 minutes ago
Mr Stewart: "The first thing I told her was that her friend (German woman) was safe, she was waiting at the roadhouse, everything's okay."

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 26m26 minutes ago
Mr Stewart says he questioned Brazilian woman about the alleged incident, asked rescuers to be his "eyes" watching escape routes. #SaltCreek

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 24m24 minutes ago
DPP: "Were you trying to inform yourself about what you'd encounter on the beach?"

Mr Stewart: "Every step of the way." #SaltCreek

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 9m9 minutes ago
Mr Stewart says he, best friend and police in his 4WD approached accused's 4WD slowly, not wanting to raise suspicion.

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster 10m10 minutes ago
As they approached, accused's 4WD started to move toward the dunes. "He's going, he's going," Mr Stewart said at the time. #SaltCreek

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 16m16 minutes ago
Mr Stewart says he accelerated to approx 80km/h as the accused tried and failed to get back over the sand dunes, bogging repeatedly.

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 16m16 minutes ago
Mr Stewart: "I up-tempoed it... we came in hard... I drove within 40ft & hit the picks. From my recollection, he was just staring at us."

Sean Fewster‏ @SeanFewster · 17m17 minutes ago
Mr Stewart says police instructed him to stay put & his friend to use their video camera to record as they arrested and handcuffed the man.

Mr Stewart: "He was sitting there when he got handcuffed, face down. He sat there and did not move from that location." #SaltCreek

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 17m17 minutes ago
Mr Stewart: "I did take some footage on my phone of the man and my friend, a 'this is what we do on a Tuesday night' sort of thing."

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 14m14 minutes ago
Mr Stewart says he later walked the dunes and found tyre tracks that ran on either side of a set of footprints. #SaltCreek

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 15m15 minutes ago
Mr Stewart: "As a hunter who follows a lot of footprints, I would say they were running." #SaltCreek

Sean Fewster‏ @SeanFewster · 15m15 minutes ago
Mr Stewart: "I thought that was pretty heavy. I got a shiver up my spine at that moment." #SaltCreek

Mr Stewart: "I pictured something in my mind that was not very nice." #SaltCreek

Mr Stewart: "The footprints were running south. The tyre marks were running alongside them, on top of them or across them." #SaltCreek

Sean Fewster‏ @SeanFewster · 12m12 minutes ago
Asked if he had ever seen the accused at #SaltCreek before, Mr Stewart says yes - on 2 occasions, 12 to 18mths before the alleged incident.

Sean Fewster‏ @SeanFewster · 2m2 minutes ago
#SaltCreek trial takes morning break. Jurors told next witness will be the Brazilian woman. @theTiser

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 9s10 seconds ago
#SaltCreek jury now hearing evidence from Brazilian woman. @theTiser

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 20s20 seconds ago
She says she decided to spend a 20-day break travelling around Australia. Started in Adelaide, stayed with friend made on @Couchsurfing app.

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 35s35 seconds ago
That friend introduced her to the German woman, who was also staying with him. The women exchanged details. #SaltCreek

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 55s55 seconds ago
At friend's suggestion, Brazilian advertised on @Gumtree for a travel partner. "I didn't know people did that." #SaltCreek

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 12s13 seconds ago
Brazilian received several offers, including the accused. They communicated only by SMS without meeting face-to-face. #SaltCreek

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 32s33 seconds ago
He suggested camping, offered tents and sleeping bags. Brazilian chose to go with someone else she'd met face-to-face. #SaltCreek

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 1m1 minute ago
That fell through due to car troubles, however, so she contacted the accused and asked him to take her and the German woman. #SaltCreek

Sean Fewster‏ @SeanFewster · 3s3 seconds ago
The Brazilian met the man the day of the trip. "When I saw him, it was a bit weird," she tells the jury. #SaltCreek

Sean Fewster‏ @SeanFewster · 26s27 seconds ago
Brazilian: "He was a bit older than I was expecting. I had been travelling a lot using this app, when I meet people they are maximum 30."

Sean Fewster‏ @SeanFewster · 41s41 seconds ago
The German met them & they left. "He was quiet, most of the time really focused on driving, more just me and her talking." #SaltCreek

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 24s24 seconds ago
Upon arriving at #SaltCreek, there was another 4WD on the beach. "Ah, let's keep driving a little bit," accused told Brazilian.

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 4s4 seconds ago
She says they drove only a short distance before stopping, which surprised her and the German. #SaltCreek

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 19s19 seconds ago
Brazilian: "I didn't know what he was planning, I thought it was a bit weird. I remember asking 'are we camping here?' and he said 'yes'.

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 14s14 seconds ago
Brazilian: "I thought 'he said no before and now he says yes, is everything okay?'." #SaltCreek

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 39s39 seconds ago
Accused went fishing, Brazilian changed into bikini. "I was thinking it was a bit weird to be in the middle of nowhere with people who..."

Sean Fewster‏ @SeanFewster · 11m11 minutes ago
"... weren't really my friends. It wasn't exactly what I'd planned but it was okay-ish." #SaltCreek

"Then (the German) raised the question: 'don't you think it was a bit weird?'." #SaltCreek

Brazilian says she and accused drank a small amount of wine, German fell asleep, then he suggested they look for kangaroos. #SaltCreek

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 11m11 minutes ago
Brazilian: "I said that would be really nice; you come to Australia, of course you want to see kangaroos." #SaltCreek

Sean Fewster‏ @SeanFewster · 10m10 minutes ago
Brazilian: "He led me further from the water, around 20m maybe, and started walking. I didn't see kangaroos and said 'let's go back'."

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 3m3 minutes ago
Brazilian says the man then attacked, bound and sexually assaulted her. Compares it to "a horror movie". #SaltCreek @theTiser

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 23s24 seconds ago
“When you see a movie with a victim, with someone running away, you think ‘that girl, she must do this, she must run away like this’.”

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 37s37 seconds ago
“I was feeling I was in the horror movies... I needed a strategy to get away... I was trying to plan a strategy."

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 38s38 seconds ago
"I thought that, if I stayed there, I was going to die. I imagined my Mum coming there & seeing my dead body, coming to recognise my body."

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 52s52 seconds ago
“I thought ‘no, I cannot do this, I came to Australia to live my dream, I’m going to do something and I’m going to get away from here’.”

Sean Fewster‏ @SeanFewster 3m3 minutes ago
The Brazilian said she convinced the man it would be "more pleasurable" to return to the camp - and he was "interested". #SaltCreek

Sean Fewster‏ @SeanFewster 5m5 minutes ago
He tied her feet so she could only hobble and led her in that direction, she says, but then appeared to change his mind.

Brazilian: “I started screaming (the German woman’s name) because it could be my last opportunity.” #SaltCreek

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 18m18 minutes ago
Brazilian: “He got really angry... he grabbed some sand and said ‘if you do that again, you’re going to eat sand’.” #SaltCreek

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 19m19 minutes ago
The Brazilian says her travelling partner woke due to her screams and ran at them yelling "let her go". #SaltCreek

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 19m19 minutes ago
She says she then noticed the accused had a tool in the back of his pants and yelled "he has a hammer, run away". #SaltCreek

Sean Fewster‏ @SeanFewster · 23m23 minutes ago
Brazilian says she managed to untie her feet, but not hands, as the German and the accused squared off. She didn't see their confrontation.

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 5m5 minutes ago
"I'm not going to die today" - backpacker tells court how she survived #SaltCreek 'horror movie'

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 40s40 seconds ago
#SaltCreek resumes. Brazilian says German came toward her, bleeding, and untied her hands saying "he hit me".

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 26s26 seconds ago
"It was the exact moment when you're watching a horror movie & the guy is going to follow the girls & they do that stupid thing." #SaltCreek

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 2m2 minutes ago
"At that moment we saw him coming with the car, he was inside the car." #SaltCreek

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 3m3 minutes ago
"At that moment we thought we need to go in separate directions otherwise otherwise he's going to just come and get both of us."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back