Australia - Warriena Wright, 26, dies in balcony fall, Surfers Paradise, Aug 2014 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As our Verified Attorney nowvoyager , what happens with GT's 4 outstanding charges?

His criminal history, which includes four outstanding charges for which he was on bail, are part of a legal brief tendered in the court before Justice Debra Mullins during his bail application on a murder charge.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ght-court-documents-reveal.html#ixzz3DNRpOAxc

Yes- still to be dealt with. I don't know anything about next mention dates. It was relevant to the Supreme Court bail application because he was already on bail for those previous charges, and the driving incident , if proven, would presumably have breached bail on the earlier assault charges. All going to suggest risk/ non-complance.

Yes- still to be dealt with. I don't know anything about next mention dates. It was relevant to the Supreme Court bail application because he was already on bail for those previous charges, and the driving incident , if proven, would presumably have breached bail on the earlier assault charges. All going to suggest risk/ non-complance.

Thank you.

His court appearance for the outstanding offences was in MSM and now I cant find it.

Thank you.

His court appearance for the outstanding offences was in MSM and now I cant find it.

Does this help, Amee?

The documents, filed by prosecutors in Brisbane Supreme Court to oppose the 28-year-old's bid for bail this week, also allege he repeatedly told a police officer to '*advertiser censored** off' and called him a 'small man' during an incident on January 27 at a Surfers Paradise convenience store.

The bodybuilder and carpet layer was also charged with high-range drink driving in July this year, the documents filed on Monday claim. Eleven days before Warriena Wright (pictured) fell to her death from Gable Tostee's Surfers Paradise balcony, Mr Tostee was arrested for high range drink driving on the Gold Coast, documents filed with his bail application in the Brisbane Supreme Court allege.

Gable Tostee's criminal history includes four outstanding charges, according to documents filed by both prosecutors and his own defence during his bail application on a murder charge. Tostee was 'heavily intoxicated' and 'causing alarm' on the Gold Coast between 2am and 3am on January 27, prosecutors say in the court documents

His criminal history, which includes four outstanding charges for which he was on bail, are part of a legal brief tendered in the court before Justice Debra Mullins during his bail application on a murder charge.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ght-court-documents-reveal.html#ixzz3DNfnLYCM

Mention is Oct 10

In Mr Tostee's bail application, he admitted to two past offences, namely a forgery charge in 2006 for which no conviction was recorded, a 2011 driving charge, and four outstanding charges from this year which are due to be mentioned in the Southport Magistrates Court on October 10.

The court documents filed during Mr Tostee's bail application on Monday say he was charged on July 27 with driving under the influence of liquor and breaching bail.

He had also breached bail conditions he had been placed on in January following the alleged incident on Ferny Avenue, according to the court documents. :notgood:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ht- court-documents-reveal.html#ixzz3DNjnw1tl

The court documents state Constable Hurley observed Mr Tostee was 'causing alarm to members of the public attempting to purchase items from the store and that he was interfering with 'peaceable business'.
When the officer arrested Mr Tostee, the defendant allegedly said to him, according to court documents: 'What are you going to do small man, *advertiser censored** off c***'.
Prosecutors allege, in the court documents, after being placed in the rear of a police vehicle, Mr Tostee then allegedly put his foot in the door to prevent it being closed, said '*advertiser censored** off' again, 'violently kicked out at' Sergeant Stephen Wright, who sprayed Tostee with capsicum spray which 'had no effect'.
He was charged with one count each of commit public nuisance and assault or obstruct a police officer, according to the court documents.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ght-court-documents-reveal.html#ixzz3DNmwH2vg

The Gold Coast, unfortunately, has to be prepared for such citizens:
ALL AVAILABLE Gold Coast Police resources will be deployed across the Australia Day long weekend to ensure the 2014 festivities are not ruined by incidents of public disorder and alcohol related violence.

The Helicopter Support Unit, Public Safety Response Team, Mounted Unit, Water Police, Gold Coast Road Policing Group, Logan and State Crime Command will be out in force, ensuring a high-visibility police presence is broadly maintained across the Gold Coast District.

Police are encouraging the public to drink and act responsibly.

Officers will be targeting the consumption of liquor in unlicensed public places and unruly behaviour across the Gold Coast in foreshore parks, roads and adjoining areas; including bus stops and car parks.

“Gold Coast Police will also be implementing high visibility and early intervention strategies such as random breath testing in The Spit area. The focus will be on ensuring alcohol is not taken in to public areas where adverse intoxication will ruin the day for families,” Acting Chief Superintendent Lacy said.
http://www.mygc.com.au/news/gold-coast-police-ready-for-australia-day-2014/

I don't understand what is going to happen with the review of autism. No court date was set, that we are aware of, to review that possibility. Is it something they are going to quietly review in chambers? And if so, then what? Will a date be set for a committal hearing?

I'm a little lost as to what happens next and how and when. We usually have a court date for the next mention in a murder case, whatever that mention may be about.

There have been a few cases involving murder perps with apparent/rumoured autism, but there has never been these quietness about future court dates for them (Daniel Kelsall, Thomas Hemming).

I don't understand what is going to happen with the review of autism. No court date was set, that we are aware of, to review that possibility. Is it something they are going to quietly review in chambers? And if so, then what? Will a date be set for a committal hearing?

I'm a little lost as to what happens next and how and when. We usually have a court date for the next mention in a murder case, whatever that mention may be about.

I am a little lost too. I think a thorough psych evaluation is compulsory after sentencing and before going into the prison population, but after preliminary charges are laid I think it must be by negotiation between the professionals orchestrating a fair bail hearing.

Respectfully NV, I find it hard to believe that Rrie was enjoying the expression of her free will when she said no 25 times. Even in the absence of commas, full stops, exclamation marks, pauses or intonation, it is a very old school attitude to think that 'no' means 'yes'.

It was said she was screaming 'no'. Warriena was terrified, not begging but screaming!

I wonder if they are going to try to lower the profile of the case by keeping the next step under wraps. There seems to be no sub judice, so far, with this case. So I'm thinking they have to do something to pull back on the reins a bit. Get things a little more under control.

I wonder if they are going to try to lower the profile of the case by keeping the next step under wraps. There seems to be no sub judice, so far, with this case. So I'm thinking they have to do something to pull back on the reins a bit. Get things a little more under control.

It certainly has surprised me how it has been handled and at times sensationalised. Perhaps the media interest is because it is a cautionary tale and has a lot of messages about boundaries that need to get out to teenagers about social media, stranger danger, balcony danger, moonshine danger and very possibly drug usage. Tostee, to me, seems to be at the middle aged end of the demographic. A very strange one. (Probably repeating myself, but as others have pointed out, he has the vocabulary if a 13 year old girl at the mall, and was living a Groundhog Day existence with Tinder). And he seems to have not cut the parental umbilical cord when it comes to honesty about personal consequences. It is if the world, with it's rules, is spoiling his playtime.
My opinion only

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · Sep 7

Justice Mullins says she won't grant bail at this stage but will adjourn for Mr Kimmins to get further material. #tostee

Justice Mullins has adjourned to a date to be fixed. #tostee

Magistrate John Costanzo adjourned Tostee's matter until October 10 where he is expected to appear via videolink.

GT could still make bail although IMO he wont

Have hope - LE have charged him with murder and things are not always as they appear.
The prosecution drew attention to his ASD, I am sure they have their reasons.
Like you though I am frustrated and want more detail.

I have hope. I think LE have more on Tostee than they had on GBC & Gittany and look what a wonderful outcome.
Tostee has some very nasty priors as well.

Um but then I think of Pistorious but I still remain hopeful.

There have been a few cases involving murder perps with apparent/rumoured autism, but there has never been these quietness about future court dates for them (Daniel Kelsall, Thomas Hemming).

SA you are getting a bit too far ahead.

GT's Supreme court bail application has been adjourned "to a date to be fixed" pending the defence making whatever submissions they want to on the autism or whatever suggestions.

The "date to be fixed" will be subject to approval by the Court, but will largely be fixed in agreement by prosecution and defense. Neither side will let the procedure drag out too long, but it will involve calling in outside evidence of professionals. which may take a little time to organise (consents to information and availability of records).

At the original bail hearing date, which was a Monday, both sides filed their material the previous Friday. No idea at what time but the document lists shows the defence (GT) documents preceded those of the defence.

That does not mean that either side necessarily had the opportunity to know what was in the other's material.

The newspapers have not reported the contents of the affidavits that were tendered by GT's team, other than on his part it was a denial of responsibility and his parents offered some surety. All pretty normal and basic.

The crown (prosecution) had already prepared their material based on what they had managed to accumulate to that point on direct evidence (not supposition) but then made submissions on their likely view of events.

Next time, the defence may have time to further involve in those issues including the tapes (which remember at only one time really identified GT and that was by name with his father - all the rest of the time it was "male voice" "female voice" as there was no forensic identification.

No-one will decide at this stage whether or not GT has some mental disorder. The evidence will just be considered in the light of the bail application.

The "FUTURE" south aussie, well prepare for a long one. There may well be a lot of "mention" dates before it even gets to a commital. GT may decide to speak, the DPP may review its charges. Who knows ... polish up your crustal ball.

I could mention a few other cases where people are in jail accused but not convicted just waiting trial and families waiting an outcome, and it's not weeks, it's more than months.

It was cute comparing notes with Southrnqt today and finding out that we pay around twice as much for alcohol here than in the US. Good gosh.
And helpful to remember that WS is a US administered site, so some terminology bears patience and double checking so it is not lost in translation, causing misunderstandings. Big day for little Possum brains.

PS I should add that I think before the next proceeding, each party may well decide to "deliver" to each other, a copy of what they intend to file in support/opposition, and only tender the actual documents to the judge on the day. There is nothing wrong with that and I think in this case they will be very mindful of allowing access to media or anyone else before the actual court appearance.
That does not mean that affidavit material won't be on public record after that (unless the judge puts in a suppression order) only that no-one will jump the gun searching it.
The bail material is only available because these matters are regarded as a civil matter. Nothing relating to the actual trial of GT is accessible - criminal court records are not, other than what is "heard" by people allowed to be in court for the proceedings.

PS I should add that I think before the next proceeding, each party may well decide to "deliver" to each other, a copy of what they intend to file in support/opposition, and only tender the actual documents to the judge on the day. There is nothing wrong with that and I think in this case they will be very mindful of allowing access to media or anyone else before the actual court appearance.

I am all for that, but then I am known for fretting about civil rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HollyMcKee