Australia - Warriena Wright, 26, dies in balcony fall, Surfers Paradise, Aug 2014 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a New Zealander so I understand how you may feel about this happening in your country. I am also female. Trust me when I tell you many times I've had to pull friends up on their attitudes while drinking, hold their hair back, try to sober them up. That's only drinking with women too! It seems a culture to binge drink no matter who you're with. I feel I am one of the only in my age group almost who has any sense of control and not to do just what everyone else is doing . I'm also a trained nurse however and have seen many with addictions so maybe that's why. Have also treated guys with a rap sheet of 60 odd convictions coming in from the prison at times. I believe Mr Tostee made an error in youth, drunk drove at some point with a bunch off friends at 26, and then embroiled in this incident. He isn't exactly a career criminal or off the rails to me.. Here in NZ so many people I know have drink driving convictions and are active and working professionals, I think they need to get you atleast 6 or 7 times before they even give you a minimum 3 month sentence here, doesn't make it right but it's just so prevelent. Especially with young men because they're generally morons :)

He had a history of blacking out while drunk, kept recordings so he'd know what he got up to during said blackouts, and yet she's the one who is deemed irresponsible and made a poor decision? He gets excused because the baseline is apparently young men are just generally morons?

That ... doesn't add up.

Well surely you can moderate yourself regardless of what you're drinking or the quantity. I know when I'm getting too tipsy and pull back. It's just common sense. The moonshine was also tested at 40% only when tested by the police.

I don't dispute your personal experience, but I disagree that this is "common sense." It is my understanding that, generally speaking, self-assessment of one's own inebriation level is actually quite poor. This may not apply to you, of course, but I think that it more likely than not applied to Rrie.

She did declare her drunkenness multiple times and attempt to refuse further drinks, and he did continue to serve her alcohol despite her protestations, and he did exhort her to drink what was served to her.

What a shame we will never know his BAC from that night. I think it would be extremely revealing to know if he was similarly intoxicated or if he deliberately maintained a level of sobriety in order to take advamtage of her state, as he was alleged to do in the past with other women.

You know, i'd just like to say i've gone back to a guy's house for further drinks on and after a Tinder date (for reasons that it's cheaper to share a bottle of wine and more comfortable to sit and talk on a couch.) I have been pretty rotten drunk most of these times. Nothing even close to terrible has ever happened to me. Not even close. It is not the norm. And i don't like the assumption that it should be the norm and that she should have been more sensible. No, he should have been less of a violent predator.

I'm a New Zealander so I understand how you may feel about this happening in your country. I am also female. Trust me when I tell you many times I've had to pull friends up on their attitudes while drinking, hold their hair back, try to sober them up. That's only drinking with women too! It seems a culture to binge drink no matter who you're with. I feel I am one of the only in my age group almost who has any sense of control and not to do just what everyone else is doing . I'm also a trained nurse however and have seen many with addictions so maybe that's why. Have also treated guys with a rap sheet of 60 odd convictions coming in from the prison at times. I believe Mr Tostee made an error in youth, drunk drove at some point with a bunch off friends at 26, and then embroiled in this incident. He isn't exactly a career criminal or off the rails to me.. Here in NZ so many people I know have drink driving convictions and are active and working professionals, I think they need to get you atleast 6 or 7 times before they even give you a minimum 3 month sentence here, doesn't make it right but it's just so prevelent. Especially with young men because they're generally morons :)

What about his fraud conviction and his assault on a police officer? Are those typical youthful indiscretions in Australia or NZ? I'm in the US, where 26 is considered adulthood. Fraud and assault are quite serious here, as are DUI, evading police, driving through a police barricade, and driving without licence plates IMO.

No link. Many things I see that are pure speculation from people here have no link? Just heard it in court myself when I sat in the public gallery. I was quite surprised! Not sure how the law works here, do they release court transcripts after a trial so others can read the facts as they appear too? Surely.

Another thing i find interesting is that they decided to go back to his apartment instead of her hotel room. I wonder whose idea that was and why. Because going back to her hotel room would have mean hotel staff and hotel security and if he got weird she could lock him out of her room. But he wouldn't have been in control there. Interesting, interesting ...

This plays into my own personal theory that the whole night was set up by him to go a certain way.

Maybe not following from get go was a bad idea? The toxicology indeed came back clean for them both for the exception of excess blood alcohol. In such circumstances the first thing the police do is run such tests.. I think it's very wrong to assume all body builders are immediately drug takers? Many dedicate hours and make it a way of life and I don't think it's fair to minimise that. He was simply a member of the forum also- not a "body builder" himself which goes the same with many other members.
Unsure what someone's looks have to do with whether they die or not prematurely or the circumstances either? Seems a little shallow. Are those you consider unattractive somehow not as valid?

Well that's why i asked what i did because i didn't know LOL. I'm not sure if your comment about police always doing such things is accurate though? Unless they suspected him of murder right away they may not have tested him on the night/ day.
And i never said that i assumed all body builders are into enhancement drugs, but i know that some are.
I'm not sure what you last comment is all about?? No one deserves to die, i will tell you that much though.

No link. Many things I see that are pure speculation from people here have no link? Just heard it in court myself when I sat in the public gallery. I was quite surprised! Not sure how the law works here, do they release court transcripts after a trial so others can read the facts as they appear too? Surely.

Please list them. I recommend you read all the threads, the links are provided about Tostee's run in with the law and his court appearances. We're on the home run now, waiting for him to be sentenced or not.

She was 26 years old. An adult. I knew at 26 whether I wanted another drink or not you can't be plied. She was not a child please don't insult her intelligence. Nobody forced to drink but they met for a drink first then a bottle shop. What did she assume would be happening? Please.. Casual cup of tea maybe a bit of scrabble?

BBM
:thinking:

Fraud was at 15 or 16 with 2 schools friends making fake I.Ds for their mates etc. Somewhat entrepreneurial I suppose but they were teenagers and didn't exactly screw people for thousands? Not really high profile crime. Here in NZ you'd get a slap on the wrist for that or what they call diversion. My brothers did worse growing up yet avoided convictions and became well adjusted and sensible men despite my parents despair at times. He was cleared of the assault on police officer and the official charge was obstruction and public nuisance. Like I say that was later dropped. Do you have a link in regards to him driving through any barriers?
That is very typical behaviour in New Zealand though. It's a bit cringe almost. You can get away with a lot as out police are unarmed, I have found aussie law enforcement to be a little harder.

In a circumstance where there is a death then the person they suspect culpable and the victim are 100% certainly tested. It would be unthinkably stupid not to. It would create massive flaws and inaccuracies in a case. That information is vital to know to rule out a suspected overdose or not for example. What medication they were on at the time etc etc. Not in law enforcement personally. I'm a nurse. Have needed to conduct such tests myself on people still in the world of the living.

It's a bit cringe almost -

So is this bodybuilder forum type talk.

The public gallery of this trial? GT's trial?

I don't dispute your personal experience, but I disagree that this is "common sense." It is my understanding that, generally speaking, self-assessment of one's own inebriation level is actually quite poor. This may not apply to you, of course, but I think that it more likely than not applied to Rrie.

She did declare her drunkenness multiple times and attempt to refuse further drinks, and he did continue to serve her alcohol despite her protestations, and he did exhort her to drink what was served to her.

What a shame we will never know his BAC from that night. I think it would be extremely revealing to know if he was similarly intoxicated or if he deliberately maintained a level of sobriety in order to take advamtage of her state, as he was alleged to do in the past with other women.

His statement to his dad was interesting I thought. WTTE 'I didn't push her, I gave her MY alcohol.' It seemed like an admission and not relevant to say if it wasn't relevant IYKWIM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lea94