Australia - Warriena Wright, 26, dies in balcony fall, Surfers Paradise, Aug 2014 #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip>
When i arrived on this thread two days ago from everything i heard about and read about this case, which was not much, i had the impression she was an unstable kinky cuckoo tinder girl and he was in a situation that escalated and well, you know what happened. Then i started actually reading everything there was to read. About the night, about him, the things he posted on the BB forum, the things he posted on youtube, and continued to read with interest for 7 hours all up. Having read so much info in one go the picture is pretty clear and my opinion of WW, which was never based on fact or evidence, completely swung around.
I don't actually have a dog in this fight. I don't actually care either way whether he's convicted or not. In my opinion he was morally responsible for her death.

Anyway. Moving on.

He had the phone in his possession. He never gave it back to her. He called it knowing she was dead.

GT had been weird but fine up until the point where he snapped and started choking her. There sense of humour together was rather quite sarcastic and odd but if you're looking at it from a half glass full perspective it just seemed like dry, black humour and not a forewarning of what was to come.

Of course, in hindsight he was trying to get her blind drunk, purposely ignoring her cues, pushing the boundaries, had stolen her phone, and was toying with her the whole time.

Could be, but if I was on the jury I'd vote murder.

The prosecution's argument is basically she was seriously frightened of him, tried to lower herself down onto the balcony, slipped and fell to her death. Because his actions lead her to die and i believe he had intended for her all along to end up on that balcony i would say, in my opinion, he is guilty of murder.

It's hard to call the police mid assault especially when the law fully entitles you to use self defence. I don't own a table nor chairs on my patio. I didn't know this was a forced requirement. Please provide an invoice of his tanning bed.
I am talking about when he locked her out. Why didn't he ring up the police? The tape itself proves those last minutes weren't about self defence. You can clearly hear him string arming her. You can gear her choking. He tells her he's locking her out without her belongings. All in a flat voiced demeanor. No fear from him. No sounds of him being assaulted. No damage recorded of her supposed rampage of his apartment. Give me a break.

I was replying to the thought that he locked her out to save himself and his property as the previous poster surmised.
And you can look up the cost of sun beds yourself.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

That takes some training. Please link evidence of such and any video you have of said manoeuvre he pulled. Also it often DOES leave a mark. You have to be very highly practised to be able to effectively pull it off without doing so a lot of the time. It is not 100% guaranteed it won't leave a mark.
The discussion was what was said. Mai tai, or Muay Thai, or even one poster thought it was untie me. I think it was a reference to Muay Thai. I am of the many that hear her being choked. Everything I state is my opinion. I have NOT STATED ONE IDEA AS FACT. Please stop provoking me by asking me to "link" when I am stating my opinion or theory.

I agree her behaviour no matter how you dress it up was immature and deplorable.
Honestly don't understand. Thus is blatantly against TOS. And it's absolutely false. You are cruel.

Why? What we could he do?? Punch her in the head out of fear? Run from his own home in terror? He shouldn't have to. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't sometimes. Bottom line is don't destroy someone else's property regardless of what you think may or may not happen to you. Act with some decorum please adults.
What property did she destroy?

Ok my bad. *METAL bracket though. Why did she grab this instead of leaving like she was asked? Also the choking has been disproven in court already and no signs of injury on her were found prior to the fall except those of typical self harm scars up her wrists and thighs and one measuring 90cm. Clearly a disturbed young woman.
<modsnip>
She didn't leave because he had her phone

Then why didn't she leave after she found it. Not that he stole it. What would he want with her phone. Ridiculous. He had his own.
Um. He admitted on his own tape that her phone was in HIS pocket.

STOP the nonsense in this thread. It is taking an exceptional amount of time to moderate and nobody has time or the extreme patience required to do so. We've been trying to edit out snark and leave parts of such posts intact, but if you choose to continue to put snark into your posts, your entire post will simply disappear, along with responses to it ... regardless of what other valuable input the post may contain.

Posters who continue to violate TOS run the risk of losing posting privileges on either a temporary or permanent basis. Post accordingly.

:wave:

And that thing he was carrying down his pants in the basement car park, I think that was something he concealed that would have had the case for murder confirmed earlier. A weapon of some sort that he threatened her with.

Why did the Police not pursue this? From what I have read they thought it was a phone but no way is it.

I'm curious and admittedly naïve about Australian law, but I feel as though there was so much for the police to pursue and they didn't. I admit also that aside from original reports of her death I haven't followed until recently. I clearly hear her choking. He clearly imprisoned her against her will. He was in bodily possession of her phone. He recorded his encounter. He called his lawyer, not police. He went for a long stroll, ate food, and chatted up his dad, all the while her remains were on the pavement with first responders everywhere. He threatened earlier to chuck her over the balcony, and also to knock her out, on and on. And yet I feel like so much of this wasn't addressed on trial. What about choking experts? My god the sounds she was making were horrible. I'm just dumbfounded.

gabe's problem is .. he has a minor defence in that he could use rational force to get her out of his home, on the predication he was in fear of his life..

but he didn't.. he deprived her of her liberty , put her in mortal danger of her life, because he merely locked her up and out in another part of his property. His balcony is part of his property. He has not removed her from his home, and a nifty juror will twig that maybe Gabe meant to make more use of her when he was good and ready later on.

At this stage of a trial I always begin to worry that the jurors aren't so nifty. I had huge concerns in Daniel Morcombe's trial but thankfully they came through.

I honestly think an inebriated girl accidentally falling over that balcony railing was pretty foreseeable. She was clearly not in her right mind, whether she was suffering some reaction from the alcohol or she had a pre-existing condition, she was very obviously not in a good state.

It's not like drunk people falling off these balconies on the Gold Coast is an uncommon occurrence. He knows the dangers.

Don't you think he was more than just a tiny bit responsible because he failed to consider her safety? Serious question, I'm not having a go :)
BBM

and not just drunk people!

Off topic, but related to the risks:

When we took our teenage boys to the Gold Coast for a holiday I deliberately avoided high rise accommodation because my kids are known to play rowdy, rambunctious games and I'd read so much about balcony falls. So we stayed in a single storey place with a yard (actually, who am I kidding, I was just as worried about my rugby prop husband as I was about the kids) ;)

Sure it didn't have the beach views but we still had the time of our lives. I was relaxed and happy - because I could sleep at night knowing they wouldn't accidentally fall over the balcony like so many other people have.

It is a known Gold Coast thing. Usually it is drunk schoolies, definitely. But if anyone is planning to visit with their kids and wants a safe accommodation recommendation let me know (not sure if I'm allowed to name the place on the forum).

It's hard to call the police mid assault especially when the law fully entitles you to use self defence. I don't own a table nor chairs on my patio. I didn't know this was a forced requirement. Please provide an invoice of his tanning bed.

How was it difficult for him to dodge a pebble and call the police? The 'assault' that happened an hour before he deprived her of her liberty?

Oh but that's right - he was using both hands to pin her down. You're right, it would have been difficult for him to call the police while he was midway through assaulting her.

Except he wasn't being assaulted.

And the law only entitles you to self defence to a point. It has to be on par with the force of the other person. So if someone breaks into your house and starts punching you, you can't shoot them with a gun and claim self defence. You can only hit them back and claim self defence.

Exactly.

Look at the case of that guy in Newcastle. Ben Bstterham. Poor guy.

Not sharing my in depth thoughts about that one here because it will derail the thread.

Ok my bad. *METAL bracket though. Why did she grab this instead of leaving like she was asked? Also the choking has been disproven in court already and no signs of injury on her were found prior to the fall except those of typical self harm scars up her wrists and thighs and one measuring 90cm. Clearly a disturbed young woman.
<modsnip>

90cm? Link please. I have only read 12cm.

I honestly think an inebriated girl accidentally falling over that balcony railing was pretty foreseeable. She was clearly not in her right mind, whether she was suffering some reaction from the alcohol or she had a pre-existing condition, she was very obviously not in a good state.

It's not like drunk people falling off these balconies on the Gold Coast is an uncommon occurrence. He knows the dangers.

Don't you think he was more than just a tiny bit responsible because he failed to consider her safety? Serious question, I'm not having a go :)

BBM.
In all the previous cases of people falling from balconies I wonder how many times other occupants of the apartments have called their lawyer (or tried) then gone for Pizza?

I am new to WS and this is my first post on this thread.
I listened to the 6 min audio for the first time last night... it was chilling to say the least. It sounds as they she is continually defending herself against him. He sounds totally in control. When he says to her to leave and to get up and she says sorry- he doesn't let her go when she clearly wanted to leave by saying so. She is clearly struggling to breathe and constricted in some way. Her screaming 'no' is so frightening and the period she is being dragged /chucked/taken to balcony seems like forever. The change in audio is clear when they are outside. Her screams are so chilling it makes me think he was doing something much more frightening thn just putting her on the balcony. What I am not sure. The time from him closing the door to her falling is so quick.

I really wonder why he had her phone. Why he wouldn't let her leave and why he didn't want her taking her belongings.

His actions after her falling are highly questionable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HatariMama