Australia - Warriena Wright, 26, dies in balcony fall, Surfers Paradise, Aug 2014 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In this instance.

I think if my son was up on murder charges or constantly in trouble with the law i would consider as a parent i have failed in my job to teach right from wrong and my son would be on his own until he learns some valuable life lessons. But not at the expense of causing another person to die.

It's possible they have just gotten really confused by the judge. I can't make heads or tails of the last thing he said.

That's how I'm reading it as well..... with no legal experience at all, it would appear they are trying every possible way to justify a conviction.
It could be debating between murder and manslaughter

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

My gut feeling is that she only ever drank beer before. But because she could have been feeling nervous, intimidated by him and putting up bravado because he was trying to get her drunk with an alcoholic drink that she was not accustomed to, and maybe feeling dehydrated, she drank the only drink that he offered her. If he had had duty of care that night for her, he would have offered her water to drink. As vodka looks like water as it is colourless, maybe in her state of mind, she even thought it was water. She did not even drink the last drink he poured for her as she said she did not like it. She reminded me of a country girl going to the big smoke of the city for the first time trying to act with bravado as if she was accustomed to the tactics and modus operandi of such a predatory male with her comments as she became more and more intoxicated. Warriena came from a Seventh Day Adventist background where they do not drink alcohol or probably have one night stands. She had a boyfriend in NZ apparently but could have been feeling lonely in Surfers Paradise (as she travelled alone) and was probably out of her depth in dealing with such a verbally and physically abusive man so did not see the red flags as more experienced women would have. She was only really looking for friendship and company from a local and someone told her to find that on Tinder. But she did not realise what Tinder was all about. Was it the first time that she used it? I would blame her naivety as much as anything else and later her bravado until she realised that she was in deep trouble and did not know how to handle him. How many men would you expect to tell you to leave without your phone, passport, T-shirt, shoes, money at 2am in a place like Surfers Paradise leaving you to walk the streets alone topless in a confused state? She was obviously physically attracted to him at first as he looked like Sam Winchester in her opinion and that was her downfall. How many of us have been in that position - physically attracted to a man - but then he treats us like dirt later?

Geeze Sydney, I know that NZ seems like a little backwater but Warriena was from Wellington, right? A compact, vibrant and busy little place with an active nightlife, a massive craft beer scene which exports its beers to the world and plenty of options to party on cheap shots.

Was she still with the church? Or was that her childhood?

Hi SouthAussie, do you have a link to the whole recording? Much appreciated..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Sleep is going to post the link after the verdict, I believe.

It is a huge file.

It's possible they have just gotten really confused by the judge. I can't make heads or tails of the last thing he said.

My thoughts exactly. I really do hope it's just a rushed interpretation by the reporter and that is why it's so hard to understand. I'm still trying to figure out what it meant!

That's how I'm reading it as well..... with no legal experience at all, it would appear they are trying every possible way to justify a conviction.

And trying to justify it in such a manner that it won't go to appeal, perhaps. That is, within the judge's instructions.

Geeze Sydney, I know that NZ seems like a little backwater but Warriena was from Wellington, right? A compact, vibrant and busy little place with an active nightlife, a massive craft beer scene which exports its beers to the world and plenty of options to party on cheap shots.

Was she still with the church? Or was that her childhood?

Lower Hutt, population 102,000. Small enough to know someone who knows someone you just met.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lower_Hutt

There are many ways to restrict someone's breathing without the end result being unconsciousness or death. And please, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the prosecution were indicating in their closing statement that he was intending unconsciousness or death when choking Warriena. As in the quote I responded with before, they were suggesting intention to cause GBH, which in turn may be sufficient to return a guilty verdict.
Indeed. Here he is in the perfect position to cause GBH, and chooses not to.

His final act is to separate himself from her, and walk away. For all he knew, she could have started screaming bloody murder on that balcony, and had the police at his door in an instant. He obviously wasn't hiding what was going on, or doing anything in secret away from witnesses. It's highly unlikely he put her out there hoping she'd fall over the edge, or that she'd jump. Is he really holding her captive, if she can just call over to the next balcony? Or did he amazingly not realize she could call for help?

Kate Kyriacou ‏@KateKyriacou [video=twitter;788630715277701122]https://twitter.com/KateKyriacou/status/788630715277701122[/video]
@GregAFC And the three acts they can consider as being intimidating were restraining her, taking her out to balcony and locking door.

The 26-year-old was days away from heading home to New Zealand’s Lower Hutt region after attending a friend’s wedding in Queensland. During her trip she held a snake at Australia Zoo, climbed Q1 and skydived.

Another friend, Savana Lesa, who was with Ms Wright in her final days, posted : "Though my heart aches for you and my mind is still adjusting to the fact you are gone I will always cherish the best moments I have had with you while you were here. I will never forget you my dearest friend who I love and keep close to my heart forever."

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...cious-soul-20140810-102i1a.html#ixzz3DCFWul5W

IF Warriena had a mental issue. IF she had a proven history of being a whacko when drunk, or a whacko at all. I am sure the defence would have used those factors to strengthen their position, instead of relying just on the recording.

In an earlier post, I stated in response to his previous solicitor's remarks in the media, that she was seeing/saying strange things as if she was psychotic, this is because IMO the home-brewed vodka that he gave her could have produced this sort of temporary reaction in her just as cannabis or ice does. Note that he did not drink any of it himself. She was a very inexperienced drinker IMO and would have had no idea what effect the vodka would have had on her especially as she had not eaten anything since 9pm if not before and perhaps had only drunk beer before. I learnt in my early 20s after a night when the white wine ran out at a party and I then drank red wine on an empty stomach and became violently ill that I needed to always eat first (not drink on an empty stomach and not to mix my drinks) which Warriena did. An experienced drinker knows this but IMO Warriena was a very inexperienced drinker. But unlike my experience, mixing beer with vodka on an empty stomach did not make her vomit and she lost her life as a result. In fact, we have no evidence that Tostee even drank one of his vodka drinks that night. He reminded me of a man who spikes a woman's drink and then rapes her.

Kate Kyriacou ‏@KateKyriacou [video=twitter;788630715277701122]https://twitter.com/KateKyriacou/status/788630715277701122[/video]
@GregAFC And the three acts they can consider as being intimidating were restraining her, taking her out to balcony and locking door.

I think all three of those were intimidating.
Restraining - obviously.
Taking her onto the balcony - after threatening to throw her off? Definitely.
Locking her out there - Yep. She had nowhere to go.

Warriena and her sister had lived in Australia for a "little while" when they were younger.

"Rrie was the most important person in my world. Most of the time we only had each other to rely on. She was a very beautiful, intelligent, caring person who not only was my sister, but she was my best friend."

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/sister-gold-coast-balcony-victim-speaks-out/2353111/

Hi Amee, just wondering about the statement of 'most of the time we only had each other to rely on.' Their mother is Seventhday Adventist Deacon. The Adventist revolve around their family, church and the disadvantaged (charity work is a must). Did WW spread her wings and not have the support of family. WW saying, I just want to go home, in my interpretation means this.... No alcohol or hook ups means I wouldn't be in this situation. She didn't cry help. She wanted to go 'home'.

My thoughts only.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The 26-year-old was days away from heading home to New Zealand’s Lower Hutt region after attending a friend’s wedding in Queensland. During her trip she held a snake at Australia Zoo, climbed Q1 and skydived.

Another friend, Savana Lesa, who was with Ms Wright in her final days, posted : "Though my heart aches for you and my mind is still adjusting to the fact you are gone I will always cherish the best moments I have had with you while you were here. I will never forget you my dearest friend who I love and keep close to my heart forever."

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...cious-soul-20140810-102i1a.html#ixzz3DCFWul5W
Exactly. She climbed Q1 and skydived, which implies she doesn't have the same fear of heights everyone else here does. It's completely reasonable that she thought she could make it down, and misjudged it in a moment of over confidence.

The argument that 'who would go over the rail unless they were in fear of their life' doesn't quite work in this case.

Court appointed psych, IIRC, examined him - found no autism.

Good try tho, Gabe.

Though I think I recall it was his parents who raised this concern? Wonder if learning he didn't have it was a relief - or not.

This was probably why his parents always excused/enabled his behaviour because they had been told he was on the autism spectrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maylon