Australia Australia - William Tyrrell, 3, Kendall, Nsw, 12 Sept 2014 - #48

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We’re for Sydney | Daily Telegraph

I left the police with no resentment and have started a new career in the media as an investigative journalist with The Sunday Telegraph, which I intend to pursue with the same passion and vigour I had for catching the bad guys.

I am also writing a book about my life and time in the police, which I hope will give the public an understanding of what a detective’s life is truly like.

It’s an exciting time for me. My life could not be more different from how it was less than 10 months ago.

I have some minor charges outstanding at the local court, which I am strongly contesting. These relate to me recording conversations with a person I was speaking to about William’s disappearance.

I have maintained from the outset I had a lawful right and an operational need to record the conversations. I was just doing my job.

This week ABC’s Four Corners program contacted me asking for my comment on a story they are running tomorrow night about an aspect of the William Tyrrell investigation.

My preference would have been not to appear on the program.

After much deliberating and seeking counsel from those around me I agreed to speak to Four Corners purely to defend the integrity of the investigation for the period I was in charge.

You are a good guy Jubes & I wish you well. Looking forward to your book.

We’re for Sydney | Daily Telegraph

Ex-detective Gary Jubelin breaks his silence on William Tyrrell case

Gary Jubelin, Investigative Journalist, The Sunday Telegraph
November 3, 2019 6:00am

Imagine having worked on a project for four years, investing your heart and soul.

Your professional and personal life had suffered because of it, but you didn’t care, because what you were doing was more important. You were looking for a lost child.

Now imagine that project is taken away from you for reasons you know are not justified. Would you be angry? Confused? Devastated?

I felt all these things when I was told on the 22nd January this year, “You are no longer running the Tyrrell investigation.”

I have now had 10 months to process what has happened to me.

This year has been full of emotional turmoil. I am a fighter by nature, my natural instinct was to lash out and fight to defend myself as I have done all my life.

Fortunately, the people who support me are smarter than me and enough of them gave me the advice to be patient, the justice I was seeking would come.

Great article! Thanks, sleep.

Jubes goes on to say that due to the good advice he has left the police and started a new career as an investigative journalist with The Sunday Telegraph. :) :) :)

He intends to pursue this career with the same passion and vigour which he used for catching crims when he was a police officer.

And he is excited about this. :)

Jubes also says he has some 'minor charges' outstanding at a local court. (The recordings.)
Just was doing his job, lawful right, operational need.

He struggles a lot more with not being able to help William than he does about the charges. He is sure the people working William's investigation now are as committed as he was.

He is frustrated that he is sitting on the sidelines, not being able to pass along 4 years of his knowledge to them.
Hard to reconcile that - when we are speaking of the disappearance of a 3 year old - he has been excluded due to actions for which he had valid reason.

Four Corners asked him this week for comment (for their show) - he sought counsel from those around him, and agreed to speak to them purely to defend the integrity of William's investigation. :)

Despite leaving the police, and being alone, he is the only person to address the issues raised by Four Corners.
It is not always a pleasant task to work methodically through every piece of info available to rule people out and find who did the crime.

When trying to find out what happened to a victim, every line of inquiry must be fully investigated.
If this doesn't happen, questions can be left unanswered.
The victim does not deserve that, and also unfair to the suspects who may be left in limbo.

Searching for the truth, this is the job.

We need to find out what happened to William. Jubes hopes the coronial process finds the answers we are all seeking.

Last edited:
We always thought he was the type of man to never give up and always have William in his heart,im sure he will always keep fighting some how some way for William as will we all,he has to to be found for his families sake .. its just so dam tragic

Perfectly placed now, as an investigative journalist, to delve into matters and produce occasional articles, ask probing questions, unearth new facts ... while staying on the correct side of an active investigation, of course.

And if the inquest does not resolve matters, and this case is placed into a cold case box, I think we can feel sure that it will never go cold for Jubes.

I can almost imagine Jubes making an investigative podcast about this case in Hedley Thomas style - if the authorities decide to divert all of their resources elsewhere and William remains missing.

Last edited:
Perfectly placed now, as an investigative journalist, to delve into matters and produce occasional articles, ask probing questions, unearth new facts ... while staying on the correct side of an active investigation, of course.

And if the inquest does not resolve matters, and this case is placed into a cold case box, I think we can feel sure that it will never go cold for Jubes.

I can almost imagine Jubes making an investigative podcast about this case in Hedley Thomas style - if the authorities decide to divert all of their resources elsewhere and William remains missing.
I would love to hear what he has to say in a pod cast or anywhere,watch this space after march then..if the case does go to cold can he say stuff and all will be revealed ?? I actually hope the families just keep fighting like they have for Maddie,never give up even if you have been treated like trash

I would love to hear what he has to say in a pod cast or anywhere,watch this space after march then..if the case does go to cold can he say stuff and all will be revealed ?? I actually hope the families just keep fighting like they have for Maddie,never give up even if you have been treated like trash

If you read up a little on Lynette Dawson's case .... she disappeared, there were several investigations, and two inquests, then Hedley Thomas - investigative journalist - got onto it and produced a series of very descriptive and in-depth podcasts called The Teacher's Pet.

There is now an alleged murderer scheduled to stand trial in the Lynette Dawson case. Hedley Thomas' podcast has been suppressed from the public, while waiting for the trial, because it is so informative and, therefore, could be seen as prejudicial to a trial/jury.
There has been legal debate with the prosecution maybe wanting to use parts of it in the trial and the defence not wanting that to be allowed.

I feel that with Jubes now being an investigative journo he has the Telegraph's legal team behind him, ensuring that whatever he wants to publish meets legal requirements while allowing the freedom of the press.

Last edited:

Looks like we finally have some kind of answer to what happened in Spedding's NSW child sex charges trial. The evidence that they had was deemed unreliable by the judge and the case was dismissed - according to Peter O'Brien, anyway.

Must have been sad and stressful for the two girls, going through all that and the proof being insufficient - after 30+ years - for a judge to allow the case.

Last edited:
Looks like we finally have some kind of answer to what happened in Spedding's NSW child sex charges trial. The evidence that they had was deemed unreliable by the judge and the case was dismissed - according to Peter O'Brien, anyway.

Must have been sad and stressful for the two girls, going through all that and the proof being insufficient - after 30+ years - for a judge to allow the case.

Totally agree. Given there was a case many years ago when the girls were very young - and then another within the past year, & now this - the accuser on TV. Can't fathom what these girls must be going through... :(

Jubes will make one hell of an investigative reporter. Maybe things will actually move forward now , as historically good committed reporters get results that possibly police can't. They aren't subject to the same red tape and rules the police are I suppose ....people open up more then they would to police maybe. I have great hopes now that Jubes has taken this new path.That was the best news I've woken up to in a long time concerning William. All involved with the case should be very nervous indeed. He was a great cop and will make a brilliant journalist. Bring on that book, I can't wait. Thanks for posting that , I am extremely excited......

If you read up a little on Lynette Dawson's case .... she disappeared, there were several investigations, and two inquests, then Hedley Thomas - investigative journalist - got onto it and produced a series of very descriptive and in-depth podcasts called The Teacher's Pet.

There is now an alleged murderer scheduled to stand trial in the Lynette Dawson case. Hedley Thomas' podcast has been suppressed from the public, while waiting for the trial, because it is so informative and, therefore, could be seen as prejudicial to a trial/jury.
There has been legal debate with the prosecution maybe wanting to use parts of it in the trial and the defence not wanting that to be allowed.

I feel that with Jubes now being an investigative journo he has the Telegraph's legal team behind him, ensuring that whatever he wants to publish meets legal requirements while allowing the freedom of the press.
and what a brilliant podcast it was...the Trace podcast about the murder of Maria James was amazing and the follow up book. I couldn't be happier for jubes and for Williams family ......jubes will be seriously good at this new career. Unstoppable force to be reckoned with. Hope a podcast does happen , i'm in desperate need of a new one.

"All the evidence suggests that paedophilia begins in the womb," Dr Cantor told 60 Minutes reporter Liam Bartlett.
"A person does not pick it. And despite every kind of treatment that has been attempted over a century, nothing has been shown to be able to change these people from paedophiles into non-paedophiles."

Dr Cantor told 60 Minutes he'd studied MRI scans of convicted child sex offenders, and found a dramatic cross-wiring in the connective tissue of their brains.
'Paedophiles are born, not made'

"All the evidence suggests that paedophilia begins in the womb," Dr Cantor told 60 Minutes reporter Liam Bartlett.
"A person does not pick it. And despite every kind of treatment that has been attempted over a century, nothing has been shown to be able to change these people from paedophiles into non-paedophiles."

Dr Cantor told 60 Minutes he'd studied MRI scans of convicted child sex offenders, and found a dramatic cross-wiring in the connective tissue of their brains.
'Paedophiles are born, not made'

i saw this too, probably why they reoffend, also discussed "virtuous paedophiles"
louis theroux did a doco there too, in florida "village of the dammed" or 'pervert park"they call it, pity the families who live nearby

I actually met that slimey dude GW many many years ago when he was Rene rivkins dogs body......a forgettable meeting at the time. I was too fascinated by renes fat fingers working those worry beads he always had.......a tragic heartbreaking case.
I would love to read the book on the case..... as its my home town . we ran in same fashion circles........I lived and breathed my assistant stylist job ( vacuous as that seems)
. I met some odd ones through ACP magazine circle ....does anyone remember Revelle Balmain? Missing and from what i have heard murdered. I had met her too on a casting ....the Sydney fashion world is small ....really small

Ediethedog, I do agree with you, fashion circle are a very small I did study Drama and did Theater in my early years(going back to the Stone Age) .
I spent sometime ,in Sydney in during the late 80's and 90's had a actor friend who was dating a model. I remember her giving advice Theater and fashion etc was a small world, if you see something or hear something keep your mouth shut.
I lived in ,Perth, Western Australia early to mid 80's, during that time I studied Drama before leaving late 80's. Drama Schools were like Perth a small world. I was there during the Birnie case/trial, our drama Teacher ( the school was in inner Perth) went by his gut feeling after the second victim, ordered all students to travel groups in cars, ones that caught buses were to given a lift home after being dropped off they had to make sure we were inside our homes.
Ediethedog, did it shake you up a bit with the memory of Rivkins etc.
When I left Perth I thought I left it all behind me in Febuary 1988,(too many memories of living in foster care/ wanted to start a new life did go back for a visit in 1992 left as it made me not a happy person.) but again it shows Perth to be a small world as I found out the last few years.
One case which is not opened to Thread for a while, which is a up coming trial in Perth,(BE.) I was a student at Gosnells H School.
I left a few months before Julie Cutler disappeared I did not know about the case, I heard about it few years ago.
A few things puzzled me, the incident, Cottlersloe and JC's photo,How did I know her face?
Answer, her friend that went oversea, attended the Drama School with me, Julie attended her performances at the school when Julie returned from oversea, our Drama School Open Day.

I don't know if there is a thread for Julie Cutler.

I was stunned hearing about it, as during 1987/88 I would catch the bus in Mercantile Lane(Much small now)to go to my job at the Perth Airport. I can remember there were three small open car parks , one on the right still there behind the building in St Georges Tce in Mercantile Lane is still there. During 1987 and early 1988 I and passengers who took the bus were warned by the bus Drivers not to stand or be in the lane early morning/after dark as there had been spates of attacks in that area. Our 8 am Week day bus in Winter 1987 ran late as the bus driver had driven a woman to the hospital,he had found her beaten up at the Bus Stop . We were told to wait at St Georges Tce . The last one, I know about was in January 1988 in the Lane . I was a the bus stop(Not used bus over Christmas Season ,I forgot) with another lady 7 am mid January 1988, bus driver gave us a massive ticking off, as there had been another incident week before.
So warnings had been given out in the area.

Sorry for going off thread, but Ediethedog is right it is a small world in areas even Face book and internet has made the world smaller, in ways good in ways good , bad or dangerous, (IMO) for William and children we hear about or don't hear about in the news.
May there be news soon and William to be found.

i saw this too, probably why they reoffend, also discussed "virtuous paedophiles"
louis theroux did a doco there too, in florida "village of the dammed" or 'pervert park"they call it, pity the families who live nearby

Me too, It was interesting however sickening, especially when one of them admitted to nothing being wrong with what they feel and what they see. Made me sick. But it was an interesting story,

A washing machine repairman who was wrongly targeted in the search for William Tyrrell claims the publicity destroyed his life.
He said having his name attached to such a high-profile case had ruined his life forever.
'It wasn't just New South Wales. (The publicity) was Australia and worldwide, and that is damage that can never be repaired,' Mr Spedding said in an interview with Four Corners which will air on Monday night.

Mr Spedding claims Gary Jubelin, who was the lead detective on the case from 2015 until January 2019, relentlessly targeted him.

'At another point of time he (Jubelin) said: ''Whenever they talk about William Tyrrell, your name's going to come up as well. And when they're talking about you, William Tyrrell's name is going to come up'',' Mr Spedding said.
Jubelin denies ever having that conversation, and argues his team did the right thing in exploring Mr Spedding as a potential person of interest.

'It might sound somewhat ironic — and I don't expect Mr Spedding to understand this — but the best thing that I could do for Mr Spedding is to ensure that a thorough investigation was done,' he said.
William Tyrrell disappearance: Bill Spedding says his life has been destroyed by the investigation | Daily Mail Online

Mr Spedding's alibi was confirmed during a coronial inquest earlier this year, when a parent from his grandchild's school testified to seeing him during a class assembly that morning.

Police later charged him over allegations of child abuse more than 30 years ago, and arrested him at his home in front of waiting media.

The charges against him were withdrawn and the entire prosecution case was eventually dropped.
William Tyrrell disappearance: Bill Spedding says his life has been destroyed by the investigation | Daily Mail Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceciliaesquivel2000@yahoo