Australia Australia - William Tyrrell, 3, Kendall, Nsw, 12 Sept 2014 - #49

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No idea that's why i asked. I did a google search and so far only found this article that i'm still reading, it's very in depth.
https://aic.gov.au/sites/default/files/publications/proceedings/downloads/02-gidley.pdf

This is a tad more understandable?

"In humans, each cell contains up to 2,000 mitochondria. Thus, mtDNA samples are often easier to obtain than nuclear DNA. This is particularly true in forensic science, where investigators may be working with largely decayed bodies where only the teeth, bones, or hair is available. mtDNA was used as evidence for the first time in US courts in 1998, and it has since become a staple in many cases where DNA evidence is presented.

UBM

Use of Mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) in Forensics

DNA evidence has made a significant contribution to criminal investigations in Australia and around the world since it was widely adopted in the 1990s (Gans & Urbas 2002). The direct matching of DNA profiles, such as comparing one obtained from a crime scene with one obtained from a suspect or database, remains a widely used technique in criminal investigations. A range of new DNA profiling techniques continues to be developed and applied in criminal investigations around the world (Smith & Urbas 2012)
Recent developments in DNA evidence

I'm not talking about the actual offence, but more the surrounding memories. I read a judgment recently where a person was acquitted because the victim's recollections of extraneous circumstances like which house had a pool, what clothing was worn by various people etc etc, was wrong.

There are problems with memories & trauma specifically. Given - if trauma occurred, say, the act of "survival" warrants some disassociation - just to survive. If you look up the world expert on trauma - Dr Vessel Van der Kolk - you will see this and more. Sometimes extraneous materials (such as clothing etc) are completely outside the person's outlook wrt their need to survive - sometimes all they remember is what occurred - not this extraneous stuff. It takes a special person to remember every aspect of an assault. He's the world expert - if you care to take a look at what he says, that would be good. ta

A Prasad direction??

When the historical abuse charges ended up going to court, the prosecution case collapsed and the judge threw the case out.

Daily Mail Australia understands the presiding judge made a rare 'Prasad direction', giving the jury an option to throw the prosecution case out without hearing submissions from the defence.

Bill Spedding: William Tyrrell investigators' heavy handed tactics | Daily Mail Online

Prasad Directions: When the Judge Directs the Jury They Can Return a Not Guilty Verdict

The High Court Rules the Prasad Direction Is Unlawful
March 26, 2019

Last edited:
I wonder if TJ or PS went on 4 corners discussing the case. Would GJ be as likely to attend ?
GJ only seem to turn up when things centre around this person. Just a observation.

Jubes did say in the first article that he published as an investigative journo that he consulted with 'people around him' and was advised to go on Four Corners and state his position.

I can see why. Otherwise there would be no intelligent reply - from any person who knows for sure - to the allegations that were put forth.

BBM. Yes, I wonder who framed the questions? I wonder if Mr O'Brien was involved? I'm sure BS would have been very well prepared. IMO.

I feel pretty sure that O'Brien would have said to Sean Nicholls that he is not to speak of this and not to speak of that, if O'Brien put his client forward for the Four Corners report.

Yes, I think O'Brien would have stated what they would speak about. And that would have gone a long way toward the questions that were asked.

imo

A Prasad direction??

When the historical abuse charges ended up going to court, the prosecution case collapsed and the judge threw the case out.

Daily Mail Australia understands the presiding judge made a rare 'Prasad direction', giving the jury an option to throw the prosecution case out without hearing submissions from the defence.

Bill Spedding: William Tyrrell investigators' heavy handed tactics | Daily Mail Online

Prasad Directions: When the Judge Directs the Jury They Can Return a Not Guilty Verdict

March 26, 2019
(quote)
In Australia, the Prasad decision is firmly entrenched in common law. It’s not only been approved in South Australia, but also in NSW, the ACT, Victoria and Tasmania. The Prasad decision has been cited with approval in at least 45 ensuing reported cases around the country.

(quote)
In Australia, the Prasad decision is firmly entrenched in common law. It’s not only been approved in South Australia, but also in NSW, the ACT, Victoria and Tasmania. The Prasad decision has been cited with approval in at least 45 ensuing reported cases around the country.
The article about the 2019 High Court decision (the last one linked by Soso) supersedes what the same authors were writing in 2018.

On 20 March this year [2019], the High Court ruled that the appeal be allowed, while the VCA decision from March last year be set aside. And it pronounced the Prasad direction is “contrary to law” and should no longer be issued by judges during criminal trials in this country.

Even though they may not have had the capabilities surrounding DNA evidence, they still collected it and stored it, didn't they? I know a case here which happened much earlier, before DNA, but evidence was kept and many years later it linked someone to the crime. Wouldn't they have done that with those girls?

Even though they may not have had the capabilities surrounding DNA evidence, they still collected it and stored it, didn't they? I know a case here which happened much earlier, before DNA, but evidence was kept and many years later it linked someone to the crime. Wouldn't they have done that with those girls?

I doubt it.

If the FBI didn't use DNA until 1998, Australia sure as heck wouldn't have even thought about using it until after that. imo

However, the FBI did not start using DNA testing until 1998
DNA Profiling and the Different Uses of this Technology – #1 For Home Or Legal DNA Paternity Test In Australia – EasyDNA AU

Even if they had, it's likely to be destroyed or lost by now. From what I've read about many historical cases.

Not necessarily - wishful thinking though, so many years ago t probably not. I would hope so though. It would depend on timing too - did these girls say or indicate something at a later date? Would the DNA ( as unknown then) evidence be collected correctly, if at all? In those days it was just blood type analysis - & we don't know if even that was collected or analysed :(

Jubes did say in the first article that he published as an investigative journo that he consulted with 'people around him' and was advised to go on Four Corners and state his position.

I can see why. Otherwise there would be no intelligent reply - from any person who knows for sure - to the allegations that were put forth.
I’m so glad he took the opportunity to respond. Even though some of the accusations didn’t even warrant a response. They were that ridiculous.

Not necessarily - wishful thinking though, so many years ago t probably not. I would hope so though. It would depend on timing too - did these girls say or indicate something at a later date? Would the DNA ( as unknown then) evidence be collected correctly, if at all? In those days it was just blood type analysis - & we don't know if even that was collected or analysed :(
I believe the availability of that sort of evidence from the outset would depend on the early reporting of a rape, even abstaining from washing apparently. I am not sure the girl's injuries were discovered and reported at once.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed> ... Even from an outsiders perspective, it crystal clear why the police investigated him. He was at the property prior to the disappearance. He received a phone call from the FM that morning. He had no one else besides MS who could verify his alibi
Which lets be honest - she couldn’t remember most of it!! Then this one person out of the whole assembly thinks he nodded at him, yet can’t be sure what day? Then we have the van sighting, and the historical charges. I could go on?
So it’s pretty clear why he was investigated!! I think BS and MS did themselves no favours. Having a defensive mentality. Who wouldn’t want to try their best to help clear up any misconceptions in a missing child’s case ? Both seemed to have a chip on their shoulder form the get go!! Yeah it was a inconvenience to their life to get caught up in the investigation, but their attitudes didn’t help the situation. I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member