Australia Australia - William Tyrrell Disappeared While Playing in Yard - Kendall (NSW) - #75

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, meaning that if a journo is doing a story they can contact them if they want to confirm things. It’s not “her” stories, it’s articles relating to William. Fact checking is going over an article before it’s released and confirming what is said is factual.
Yes I know what fact checking is…what concerns me is the idea that the foster parents were able to act as the arbiter of what was “factual” and “true”. It’s not like a journalist would have let Bill Spedding dictate what was factual in their article.

Yes I know what fact checking is…what concerns me is the idea that the foster parents were able to act as the arbiter of what was “factual” and “true”. It’s not like a journalist would have let Bill Spedding dictate what was factual in their article.
I’m not sure what BS has to do with this but do you have proof the foster parents were able to dictate to a journalist? Has a journalist said they were told what to write even though they knew it wasn’t true?

Yeah, it all got a bit too cosy via Insight Communications for me too, I wonder if those close relationships clouded peoples judgement.

Did you see the 60 minutes interview hosted by Michael Usher? He broke down crying hearing the foster mother talk. As an empathetic emotional person, I felt nothing when she spoke. It felt constructed and cold. Nothing she said stirred emotions for me. It seemed like a self indulgent parade about how wonderfully doting she is. Otherwise, she over referenced her rambling internal monologue instead of answering questions succinctly with facts.

On the other hand, I felt very sad hearing the foster father speak and his obvious genuine emotion.

All IMO only.

I’m not sure what BS has to do with this but do you have proof the foster parents were able to dictate to a journalist? Has a journalist said they were told what to write even though they knew it wasn’t true?
The journalist literally said they got the campaign to fact check their articles - ie tell them whether something is factual or not. It was posted by someone upthread in promotional material for insight

Can the FF choose the sex of the child? I’m surprised they wanted another child after the trauma of losing another persons biological child.
I'm surprised they were allowed to keep their other Foster child (who they're now accused of ongoing pattern of violence against), let alone get another one after a foster child went missing on their watch. IMO.

The journalist literally said they got the campaign to fact check their articles - ie tell them whether something is factual or not. It was posted by someone upthread in promotional material for insight

Lia Harris: "While questions about the ongoing investigation are still directed to police, any other information, most importantly, fact-checking, is dealt with by Insight. In a major case like this one, where there is extensive public and media interest, I have never experienced a more organised and consolidated approach to ensuring only correct and valuable information is reported in the media.

Link: Testimonials - Insight Communications

Also interesting to note that while there was a very public campaign about William being abducted, the FM didn't want his foster care status released because it would cause too much publicity?

"William Tyrrell's foster mother fought to keep secret the truth about the missing toddler, arguing that revealing he was a foster child would intensify publicity and force her family into hiding.

The now 57-year-old was part of the court battle waged to keep a veil of secrecy over William's foster status in the years after he vanished without trace"

Link: William Tyrrell foster mother files: her war to keep truth secret

Last edited:
Which is standard for ethical journalists and exactly what the PR company was there to help with. The same as a journo would ask the marketing and media manager at the Morcombes or anyone else really. I’m not sure what the issue is?

Which is standard for ethical journalists and exactly what the PR company was there to help with. The same as a journo would ask the marketing and media manager at the Morcombes or anyone else really. I’m not sure what the issue is?

I don’t believe it’s at all standard for journalists to let POIs tell them what is and isn’t fact. For example, if Bill Spedding told a journalist he was in Victoria that day, should they report that as fact or simply say it was something that BS had alleged that hadn’t been verified? This is the whole job of a journalist, to distinguish between claims and the truth. Just because FM said things happened a certain way that doesn’t mean it’s fact.

She was charged with assaulting a minor with a wooden spoon, and kicking her. That's violence.

A wooden spoon is something so many of us grew up with. But when you hear it was potentially used on the head the perception changes somewhat.

"Kicking" is not any type of learning discipline either.

But I have to remind myself to not be too judgmental. Especially when charges aren't laid, and we only have unelaborated glimpses without detail. But it seems to of been enough to remove a child from care?

There's a podcast "The Boy in the Woods" which deals with a child being disciplined. At the time of that case, the parent was ferociously judged by the media and the system. Personally, I never decided that person was as guilty as made out, but I'm sure many who listened to the podcast would still judge her fully.

It's a difficult thing. Kids can be a handful and parents are only human. I'm sure most parents have moments of regret when trying to get through to their kids. But I hope most parents wouldn't resort to kicking and head hitting, but -again - we only have these very sparse descriptions with out much detail of the events.

Last edited:
Did you see the 60 minutes interview hosted by Michael Usher? He broke down crying hearing the foster mother talk. As an empathetic emotional person, I felt nothing when she spoke. It felt constructed and cold. Nothing she said stirred emotions for me. It seemed like a self indulgent parade about how wonderfully doting she is. Otherwise, she over referenced her rambling internal monologue instead of answering questions succinctly with facts.

On the other hand, I felt very sad hearing the foster father speak and his obvious genuine emotion.

All IMO only.
Yes, it’s interesting how some of us found the FF to be calculating and cold in her interviews. This was despite the FF having her face blacked out and being unable to read her body language. Yet the lead Detective on the case, GJ cleared her of any involvement in the case early into the investigation. Youth Hope, the Foster agency responsible for Williams placement supported her throughout and she had a degree of control about what information was published in the press regarding William.

If it wasn’t for the Child advocate who took this case to court and argued that Williams Foster status should be made public and won, we would not be discussing this today.

A wooden spoon is something so many of us grew up with. But when you hear it was potentially used on the head the perception changes somewhat.

"Kicking" is not any type of learning discipline either.

But I have to remind myself to not be too judgmental. Especially when charges aren't laid, and we only have unelaborated glimpses without detail. But it seems to of been enough to remove a child from care?

The reason I think that the charges laid are likely substantiated is because the FP's were under video and audio surveillance at the time. Therefore, there is likely direct evidence of the assault.

Foster parent's aren't allowed to physically discipline foster children, at all, ever, so i'm not so sure it could ever be a case of "normal parental discipline".

IMO only.

The reason I think that the charges laid are likely substantiated is because the FP's were under video and audio surveillance at the time. Therefore, there is likely direct evidence of the assault.

Foster parent's aren't allowed to physically discipline foster children, at all, ever, so i'm not so sure it could ever be a case of "normal parental discipline".

IMO only.

AFAIK there was only Audio recordings - no Video surveillance. If I'm incorrect can you provide a link please?

Audio recording from listening devices placed in the home recorded what police allege is the woman hitting a child with a wooden spoon.

IMO only.
Is there video as well as audio?

When I realised that a development was being built at the time, just off Batar Creek Road (where I think the truck transport company was once based), I wondered if someone had disposed of William at the building site.

If someone had harmed William in the area where FM thought she heard a child's cry/scream. Then had continued in that direction and got rid of William.

But the building site likely had people working on it that day ... I think. Just not finding anything yet about the timeline of that housing development, other than Google Earth Pro photos showing its different stages at different times.

It also opened up the possibility, to me, that there may have been transient workers at that building site. If there were, I wonder if their movements were looked at.
Yes, I looked at that site earlier on and figured that it fell in the 1km radius of the search, it's not bushland so could be easily searched, anything that stood out could be dug up or searched, if there was a concrete pour within a particular time frame etc., background of workers, their vehicles and worksheets checked etc. Nothing is impossible, however, I work with the discrepencies already identified in the scene as opposed to what might could have occurred, which is limitless. IMO

Yes, I looked at that site earlier on and figured that it fell in the 1km radius of the search, it's not bushland so could be easily searched, anything that stood out could be dug up or searched, if there was a concrete pour within a particular time frame etc., background of workers, their vehicles and worksheets checked etc. Nothing is impossible, however, I work with the discrepencies already identified in the scene as opposed to what might could have occurred, which is limitless. IMO

Did they dig up all (or even any) of the potential "new digs" at a large construction site when they were looking for a little lost boy?

If William's case ever goes to court, the defence will raise every reasonable type of possibility. All they have to do is put reasonable doubt into two jurors (or the judge, if it happened to be a judge only trial).

It is not only who may have committed a crime, it is also about excluding others who may have committed the crime - because the defence will bring them into the story, if it creates reasonable doubt.
I would think this applies particularly strongly when there is no direct evidence against an accused, but only circumstantial evidence.

This is a reason why .....

"Consideration should also be given to:
2. whether the prosecution is able to exclude beyond a reasonable doubt any reasonable hypothesis consistent with the accused being innocent
3. any other matter that could impact on the prospects of conviction."

imo

Last edited:
I don’t believe it’s at all standard for journalists to let POIs tell them what is and isn’t fact. For example, if Bill Spedding told a journalist he was in Victoria that day, should they report that as fact or simply say it was something that BS had alleged that hadn’t been verified? This is the whole job of a journalist, to distinguish between claims and the truth. Just because FM said things happened a certain way that doesn’t mean it’s fact.
She wasn’t a POI at the time of most if not all of these interviews.

She wasn’t a POI at the time of most if not all of these interviews.

I'm not even sure what the big deal is anyway.
Publications/journalists publish many different points of view.
When I look at some of the stuff that Sky News publishes ..... :rolleyes:

People are perfectly capable (as are the police) in making up their own minds about any given situation. As is very evident. They don't need journalists to make their minds up for them.

For example, the DM has been publishing a whole different "narrative" about this case.

imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member