Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reeva’s parents may still sue Oscar

September 20 2014 at 09:21am

Oscar Pistorius may have escaped a murder charge, but he could still have to face the music for taking Reeva Steenkamp’s life.

Advocate Dup de Bruyn, who represents the dead woman’s parents Barry and June Steenkamp, said on Friday the family were still considering a civil claim against the convicted paralympian, but were waiting for sentencing procedures to be completed.

It was earlier reported that Reeva had supported her parents financially, and that they would sue Pistorius for loss of income and emotional distress.

http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/reeva-s-parents-may-still-sue-oscar-1.1753858#.VDfJc7CUcwA

This article gives me some hope.

"Even if Pistorius gets the maximum sentence, he can still fight the ruling with an appeal. The judge could deliver a maximum sentence because of the likelihood that Pistorius could get it reduced.

"I think we already have an indication that she is looking at his character, in her comments that he was an evasive and untruthful witness," Criminologist Laurie James-Pieters, said, via The Telegraph. "We may be looking at a harsh sentence. She may opt to hand down the 15 years, knowing it will be reduced on appeal to five or 10."

http://www.ibtimes.com/oscar-pistorius-update-when-sentencing-south-african-olympian-1702385

It also goes on to say that OP’s behavior outside of the courtroom could have an impact on the judge’s sentence. This is because he was involved in a fight at a bar while awaiting the verdict in July and instances before the trial began could also indicate that Pistorius is a danger to society.

I wonder what punishment OP will get for discharging a firearm at a restaurant?
Five years in prison? A fine? Losing his gun license?

I know that I will not be happy with anything less than 15 years in prison plus the NPA challenging the verdict on a point in law and then getting a murder verdict. Plus Reeva's parents having a successful civil case against OP and his not competing in the Olympics and Paralympics in 2016.

Timeline now includes 14 Feb tab pre- and post-bangs, helps, bangs. Further details and sources still to be added.

Excellent work Mr F. Very detailed. One typo in cell E39 re photog name.

Also Dr Stipp seems to testify that Oscar went upstairs before the ambulance arrived. Do you think he confused it with the trip Pistorius made upstairs after they arrived to get Reeva's bag?

The judge has no doubt already made up her mind OP isn't going to prison, so she might as well save court time and just say so on Monday, rather than go through the farce of listening to any more witnesses for a week.

unfortunately, i will now be watching masipa's actions with the knowledge that the brother removed the killer's phone and wiped it clean of information. i am assuming that she is aware of the phone tampering too. this is not how justice should work. moo.

Excellent work Mr F. Very detailed. One typo in cell E39 re photog name.

Also Dr Stipp seems to testify that Oscar went upstairs before the ambulance arrived. Do you think he confused it with the trip Pistorius made upstairs after they arrived to get Reeva's bag?

Oops! Have corrected (and added a few more events). Thank you for pointing it out.

Yes, I think it's just the one trip upstairs as what Dr Stipp says tallies with what Stander says in his testimony. I know others have a different opinion but I'm not convinced.

"21st Century Mythologies - Oscar Pistorius (BBC Radio 4)

In 1954, the French critic and semiotician Roland Barthes began a series of essays in which he analysed the popular culture of his day. He called his essays "Mythologies." In this series of witty talks, the
acclaimed writer and critic Peter Conrad delivers a series of 21st Century Mythologies in a French accent of the mind. Conrad ranges over the defining pop culture icons of our era, from the Shard, to the Kardashians to today, Oscar Pistorius."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04l3bqs

Broadcast a little earlier today. Duration 11 minutes

Oscar likens Carl and himself to Buzz and Woody in Toy Story. What?!

The judge has no doubt already made up her mind OP isn't going to prison, so she might as well save court time and just say so on Monday, rather than go through the farce of listening to any more witnesses for a week.

I agree, she'll give him the motherly tut tutting, tell Uncle Arnie to tighten the reigns for a month or so, then, 'Pizza for everyone! party time!' :aktion1: After which they all do the conga out of the courthouse. :mad:

42-17127283.jpg

I agree, she'll give him the motherly tut tutting, tell Uncle Arnie to tighten the reigns for a month or so, then, 'Pizza for everyone! party time!' :aktion1: After which they all do the conga out of the courthouse. :mad:

42-17127283.jpg

BkNsAhsIUAACI3l.jpg:medium

PretoriaHotspots.jpg

These are the hot spots for free wi-fi in Pretoria, so it would seem quite possible that OP had wi-fi. Not sure it helps, just putting it out there. :p

These are the hot spots for free wi-fi in Pretoria, so it would seem quite possible that OP had wi-fi. Not sure it helps, just putting it out there. :p

Thanks. These are in cafes and restaurants. Nothing near Silver Woods Estate though (I've checked the same site and zoomed in a bit closer)

http://www.wificafespots.com/wifi/city/ZA--Pretoria

I am increasingly convinced he doesn't have Wi-Fi (nor a landline, broadband or cable TV). He has DSTV (digital satellite TV) as borne out by the satellites on the sides of the houses I can see from the road in Street View, and I'm guessing he pays for a 10GB or 20GB monthly data allowance on his phone.

All of which supports my theories re GPRS etc. hence, perversely, I'm still trying to prove he does have Wi-Fi!

I'm getting a few emails via google from people still trying to access my phone usage charts etc. on the site. They have moved to OneDrive and the links can be found in post #1143

"21st Century Mythologies - Oscar Pistorius (BBC Radio 4)

In 1954, the French critic and semiotician Roland Barthes began a series of essays in which he analysed the popular culture of his day. He called his essays "Mythologies." In this series of witty talks, the
acclaimed writer and critic Peter Conrad delivers a series of 21st Century Mythologies in a French accent of the mind. Conrad ranges over the defining pop culture icons of our era, from the Shard, to the Kardashians to today, Oscar Pistorius."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04l3bqs

Broadcast a little earlier today. Duration 11 minutes

Oscar likens Carl and himself to Buzz and Woody in Toy Story. What?!

OP's life would have been so very different if he were born with normal lower limbs but I believe his personality, the moodiness and volatile nature is innate, like his brother Carl who's also been described as being 'up and down'.
OP might believe he's the chosen one, not designed in god's imagine but a superior version, meant for greatness. I'm not too sure where Conrad was going with comparing him to the replicant who destroyed his creator, maybe OP gives a big FU, because if given a choice, he would choose no legs because of everything he has achieved. Yet if he were born many years earlier, I don't think he would have that belief, he wouldn't have those light weight prosthetic legs and the blades. So it is due to man's inventiveness that he and many like him enjoy a better quality of life, I hope he gives them credit somewhere in his story. Not that I think blaming god is any benefit back then or now. But he does have a good philosophy regarding his disability, if he hadn't killed Reeva, he would still be up there as a great role model and sportsman.
I haven't read OP's autobiography, so it was interesting Conrad telling little tidbits of OP's history. How he learned from an early age what advantage he had with those wooden limbs, as brakes for his go kart, haha. Imo, it's a great example how one adapts and survives life's setbacks, he's no different.
LOL, OP sees himself as Woody and Carl as Buzz, that's hilarious, if only OP had such a sense of humour and fair play as Woody.

(Just writing this now I'm wondering where the hell did Roux get the 'slow burn' theory from, OP in his own words doesn't appear to have a built up rage about losing his limbs. He has a rage from not getting his own way and losing control over a woman. He throws temper tantrums like a 4 yr old. Phfft.)

Reeva's parents won't testify but will be present in court

http://www.enca.com/south-africa/reevas-parents-wont-testify

I wonder if they can submit a written testimony.

Actually, this could be quite interesting because if Reeva's parents don't attend court, their impact statement will be read either by the prosecutor or in most cases, by the Judge. I am sure June and Barry Steenkamp will write a very heartfelt statement about their daughter, the love they have for her, who she was and what she stood for, and the huge hole in their heart now she is gone. If J Masipa does not take this into account, she is quite a heartless person, imo. I've heard cases where Judges have wept reading the impact statement of a victim or parent of a victim of violence. We'll see, we'll see. :(

In Other News: Jub Jub Verdict Opens The Way For A Deluge Of Criminal Retrials

http://www.zanews.co.za/columnists/...ens-the-way-for-a-deluge-of-criminal-retrials

"Several apartheid policemen have filed for retrial. “I didn’t do physics at school. I didn’t know that if I pushed him out of a window, he would fall,” one commented. His colleague added that they also weren’t aware how very dangerous soap would prove to be in those years. Another appeal received was from Prime Evil, Eugene de Kock, who has long claimed to be a victim of apartheid brainwashing. “I honestly didn’t know that black people were people,” he explained."

The Justice System in South Africa is a sad joke!

http://www.justice.gov.za/salrc/reports/r_prj82_sentencing _2000dec.pdf

I have been trying to find out whether victim impact statements are accepted by the South African courts and google led me to the above link but I failed to find it so maybe someone else can.

I see your problem. Most of it seems to be about what is proposed.

I found this http://www.restorativejustice.org/victim-support/04impact which includes a couple of reference's to papers about impact statements in South Africa. The brief synopsis suggests they are accepted.

van der Hoven, Anna (2000). The value of victim impact statements in court Paper presented at the 10th International Symposium on Victimology held in Montreal, Canada, 6-11 August. Victim impact statements constitute one of the ways in which victims of crime are participating more significantly in the criminal justice system in recent years. The purpose of a victim impact statement is to present the victim’s perspective to the sentencing authority as part of the sentencing process. In this paper, Anna van der Hoven discusses the status of victim impact statements in the South African criminal justice system. She writes that the use of such statements is still in its infancy and seldom are they submitted. To highlight the situation in South Africa as well as the value of impact statements, she summarizes a particular case in which she assisted a crime victim in preparing and presenting a victim impact statement.
van der Merwe, Annette (2008). Addressing Victim's Harm: the Role of Impact Reports. Thomas Jefferson Law Review. 30:391-406.
This Article focuses on the sentencing phase in child sexual abuse cases, and, in particular, evaluates the practice of receiving information in the form of a victim impact statement. It then highlights South African courts’ recent reactions to victim impact statements. This Article concludes that a court open to therapeutic jurisprudence principles, such as embracing an ethic of care, can play a vital role in addressing victims’ harm. (excerpt)

Okay... My two cents

The Prosecution should have focused on dolus directus, not dolus eventualis.
In other words, direct murder... who fires 4 shots in a door?
1 or 2 shots... maybe accidental... but 4?

The judge said it, not enough evidence for premeditated murder... Prosecution should have focused more on Dolus Directus!

But he is GUILTY on culpable homicide ... and his life is screwed from then on... Karma is a Nasty!

This newspaper piece is dated September 2014. I don’t recall having seen it before though we have seen quite a lot about this incident. This one is more detailed than I have read before.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world...t-on-a-two-hour-rampage-at-London-Paralympics

“Oscar Pistorius went on a two-hour rampage at the London Paralympics

The athlete then began hitting tables, kicking walls and throwing furniture around as stunned officials gathered outside the door.
It is understood that at various stages Paralympic chiefs went into the room to try to calm him down but each visit saw a fresh escalation of his hysterical reaction.”

This newspaper piece is dated September 2014. I don’t recall having seen it before though we have seen quite a lot about this incident. This one is more detailed than I have read before.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world...t-on-a-two-hour-rampage-at-London-Paralympics

“Oscar Pistorius went on a two-hour rampage at the London Paralympics

The athlete then began hitting tables, kicking walls and throwing furniture around as stunned officials gathered outside the door.
It is understood that at various stages Paralympic chiefs went into the room to try to calm him down but each visit saw a fresh escalation of his hysterical reaction.”
And this was the gentle person who wasn't known to have anger issues!!!

The psyche report was mostly full of crock. OP has a long history of aggression and foul moods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734