awaiting sentencing phase

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re. that psych. evaluation .. what kind of evaluation was that, fgs, that they would invite Jenna Edkins to talk to them about his personality? I've never heard such nonsense in my life .. these types of evaluations should be with the patient only, and should consist of various types of tests. I simply cannot believe they interviewed people he knew .. there is NO WAY that would happen in the UK, that is not how a mental disorder (even GAD) is diagnosed.

I'm from the UK, I was a medical student, my partner is a doctor. She has worked quite a bit in psychiatry, and I spent 3 months doing clinical research in psychiatry on elective in the US.

Collateral history (from other people, family members, friends, colleagues) is a recognised, well-used, sometimes essential (even for presentation alone) part of a psychiatric history everywhere in the world. Often it is not needed, yes, but it all depends. Also, psychiatric diagnosis by doctors is not done by a battery of tests or scores, it is almost exclusively performed by taking a history from the patient, and listening to and observing them in this process.

In normal medicine, rarely does malingering crop up, especially not collaterally, for instance not many people want to be diagnosed with schizophrenia, and if they do they probably are in the right place anyway. In making a forensic diagnosis for a court however, different cautions and aspects need to be considered and come into play though.

The psych evaluation went great for the prosecution, it was unanimous in its findings for criminal responsibility, and unanimous that OP didn't have GAD.

Just finished that letter. Wow. The guy is so immature and obsessed with himself and his feelings. It's all about finding someone 'perfect' for him. He admits he's dishonest, jealous, and lies. Nice.

"Being caught up in my own world, I didn't take into consideration how supportive you were being. I became reliant on your support without giving you the commitment which should've accompanied it".

What date was this letter written? It could have been written to Reeva. it shows how he hadn't changed at all, or learnt from any of his previous mistakes. He's someone who expects to be revered and obeyed. He's number one. He's the most important person in the relationship. Women should expect to live by his rules.

Sadly, Reeva wasted her time and energy on a complete waste of space. He needs serious serious therapy for many many years. Even then, I doubt it would help, because he doesn't see there's anything really wrong with him, only the people who don't bow to his mighty reverence. What a jerk.

Collateral history (from other people, family members, friends, colleagues) is a recognised, well-used, sometimes essential (even for presentation alone) part of a psychiatric history everywhere in the world.

~rsbm~

But how would they be able to do that, considering that a person's medical situation is meant to be confidential .. I can't see how they would be able to start calling in friends, etc .. I think that is absolutely wrong to do that! I don't see how family/friends would be of much use anyway because they have their own impression of that person and may not be entirely truthful in what they say about them because they want to protect them. I seriously do not think that is the way it works in the UK .. I have known people with MH issues, and I have not known any of them to have been assessed on account of having any friends or family involved in their assessment.

~rsbm~

But how would they be able to do that, considering that a person's medical situation is meant to be confidential .. I can't see how they would be able to start calling in friends, etc .. I think that is absolutely wrong to do that! I don't see how family/friends would be of much use anyway because they have their own impression of that person and may not be entirely truthful in what they say about them because they want to protect them. I seriously do not think that is the way it works in the UK .. I have known people with MH issues, and I have not known any of them to have been assessed on account of having any friends or family involved in their assessment.
BIB - I would hope it doesn't! Getting friends and family to give their thoughts and views on a possible murderer is hardly likely to result in an objective assessment. No doubt that's why the report said OP had never shown anger or aggression before. I did wonder whether they'd assessed the right patient when I read that. I mean, come on, how many altercations has he been involved in where he's been the one who instigated them? Quite a few. Even during the trial he couldn't keep out of trouble. He's a natural aggressor.

I know the type :)

There is a pattern there - every time Jenna doesn’t “understand” OP he protects himself by going cold, ignoring her and getting quickly together with someone else. It’s like he is not able of facing any emotional pain at all. Everything is very personal for him (Jenna goes out with a friend - he feels betrayed). I’d say he is no more than 15 years old - emotionally.

Fully understand the pattern, I was married for 2 weeks at the time. I went to the doctors with a lump in my breast - he had me admitted to hospital that day (going back 30 years) had the lump removed immediately (fortunately it was nothing). Phoned my then husband - left a message - no answer - no reply, nor did he visit in hospital - or drive me home. Infact he didn't come home for a week because HE was emotionally disturbed. Needless to say the marriage lasted 18 months.

~rsbm~

Well, you get the patient's consent/the other people contact medical help first or come in with the patient and you listen to the relevant information/you follow your higher duty to act in the patient's best interests or the safety of others, usually in an emergency and/or protected by a mental health section. It is the right thing to do in these situations.

Collateral sources are useful because of their information and impressions of their behaviour and incidents. They are not asked to give a diagnosis or opinion, just normal observations and information anybody can give. For example, often patients can lack insight in a number of conditions, and doctors depend entirely on collateral sources to give them a past history of behaviour and incidents. I don't understand why you think they may not be truthful to protect them - in the medical context, obviously they want to be truthful so they can get the help they need? As I said, in the forensic context, different cautions and aspects come into play - you cannot treat the two as the same. I do not know what should or would be done in a forensic assessment. My common sense would say it is in fact more important here to get collateral information to confirm or deny claims, but equally important to weigh each source with caution.

This is how psychiatry works in the UK and all over the world, I can just share my knowledge and first-hand experience. Your friends' experiences are consistent with this as often collateral information is not needed or sought as I explained.

OP’s relationship with Jenna is rather “complicated” - he talks a lot about in his letter to Samantha/Samantha’s mother in the summer of 2012. I believe the whole letter was submitted to the court.

If you don’t have the book (An accident waiting to happen) I have compiled the letter into a PDF file. Now I really hope I don’t breach any forum/copyright rules, if that’s the case please let me know and I’ll take the file down :).

It’s not perfect, but hopefully it’s readable.

You can read it here:

http://f.cl.ly/items/2c2L0C1c273i2u0L0r0D/AWTH-letter.pdf

He does all that pouring out to Sam and then has Peet try to get Reeva a ticket for London? Am I remembering that testimony correctly?

A further extract.

Despite his promises Oscar was his old self

Sam now decided to let Oscar have a piece of her mind.

She told him she was sick of him and their whole relationship.

He told her she and her friend had ruined his reputation for life and hugely embarrassed him. The girls decided to call it a night and went home.

The old Oscar was back in full force.

http://www.iol.co.za/the-star/despite-his-promises-oscar-was-his-old-self-1.1750765#.VDHfqSxxnrD

Leopards don't change their spots, do they.

Geevee said: "He does all that pouring out to Sam and then has Peet try to get Reeva a ticket for London? Am I remembering that testimony correctly?"

It would not have been Reeva that OP tried to get a ticket for London Olympics as that was July/August 2012, perhaps it was for Jenna. Reeva did not meet OP until November 4.

Can you recognise OP?

The Peter Pan Syndrome (PPS) describes men, who are childlike in their relationships, their ability to handle responsibilities, and their pursuit of pleasure. “He’s a man because of his age; a child because of his acts. The man wants your love, the child your pity. The man yearns to be close, the child is afraid to be touched. If you look past his pride, you’ll see his vulnerability. If you defy his boldness, you’ll feel his fear” .

PPS victims appear to be emotionally stunted at an adolescent level. Their impulses take priority over any internalized sense of right and wrong. They cope with their problems by engaging in a great deal of primitive denial, e.g. “If I don’t think about it, the problem will disappear.”

They excel at blaming others for their shortcomings, and are often extremely sensitive to rejection from others. The PPS sufferer desperately needs to belong, as he feels very, very lonely. There seems to be an immense vacuum in his life unless he is around people, preferably the center of attention.

The older PPS victim tends to be a workaholic with very unrealistic expectations of himself and others. He develops this constant desire to be doing something as a coping mechanism for dealing with the hollow emptiness of his life. Alcohol and drugs are other unhealthy coping mechanisms..

Emotions are the most difficult areas for a PPS client. “Older victims say they love or care for you, but can’t seem to remember to express their love. Ironically, although they started out as extremely sensitive children, these men often appear to be self-centered to the point of cruelty”. At times they appear warm and caring; however, these sentiments can be rapidly replaced with cold indifference, a change that greatly confuses the women with whom they are involved. There is emotional numbness as that they have lost touch with their emotions and simply do not know what they feel.

PPS victims experienced a great deal of permissiveness in their upbringing. This led to a lack of self-discipline, demonstrated by irresponsibility, along with the inability to learn how to control their emotions. Because of problems stemming back to disturbed relationships with their mother, PPS victims have a great deal of difficulty relating to women. They strive to prove their male potency, manifesting it in “macho” and chauvinistic talk and attitudes. They often collect notches on their bedposts, having sexual intercourse with any and every available woman. They feel potent because of their power to seduce women with their superficially good social manners, which includes an ability to put out an almost irresistible line of romantic blarney.

PPS clients have a long and repeated history of taking lovers for granted feeling that the love of a mate should be like the love of a mother – unconditionally positive. A lover is never supposed to expect more of him than he chooses to give at the time he chooses to give it. “He doesn’t understand that adult love is conditional, it involves give and take. Rather he is the taker and his lover is the giver. If a woman challenges this inequity, she is seen as a ***** who doesn’t know how good she has it”. He is very concerned about the opinions of others, especially males.

When reality is pushed upon him hard enough so the emotional insulation or denial is broken through, the PPS sufferer will often call upon rage to intimidate whoever is pushing reality upon him. This anger keeps people away from the PPS sufferer’s fragile self-esteem. Unfortunately, it also keeps love, concern, and warmth away. “Rage is the wall that keeps the PPS victim isolated from close contact with others”

http://www.beaumontpsych.com/peter-pan-syndrome.htm

Just finished that letter. Wow. The guy is so immature and obsessed with himself and his feelings. It's all about finding someone 'perfect' for him. He admits he's dishonest, jealous, and lies. Nice.

"Being caught up in my own world, I didn't take into consideration how supportive you were being. I became reliant on your support without giving you the commitment which should've accompanied it".

What date was this letter written? It could have been written to Reeva. it shows how he hadn't changed at all, or learnt from any of his previous mistakes. He's someone who expects to be revered and obeyed. He's number one. He's the most important person in the relationship. Women should expect to live by his rules.

Sadly, Reeva wasted her time and energy on a complete waste of space. He needs serious serious therapy for many many years. Even then, I doubt it would help, because he doesn't see there's anything really wrong with him, only the people who don't bow to his mighty reverence. What a jerk.

BBM: Totally agree with you Suzie, that therapy would do no good.

IMO he is a textbook sociopath for which there is no therapy.

:notgood::(:

Now what is this about:

Pistorius family's rhino horns stolen

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/O...us-familys-rhino-horns-stolen-report-20141006

Five rhino horns have been stolen from Arnold Pistorius, the uncle of culpable homicide-convicted Oscar Pistorius, Beeld newspaper reported on Monday.

Anneliese Burgess, spokesperson for the Pistorius family, confirmed the theft from a walk-in safe at Arnold's business premises in Waterkloof in Pretoria.

The theft was reported to the Brooklyn police station two weeks ago, Burgess told the Afrikaans daily.

"It was our own rhinos' horns that were stolen. The rhinos were dehorned because we were concerned that they would be poached for their horns," she said, adding that the family was in possession of all the required permits for the horns.

Erin Stear gave a statement under oath to police who questioned her about her meetings and flirty text exchanges with OP.

Detectives were investigating claims that he canoodled with her at a party in Cape Town and met up with her behind Reeva’s back.

“Erin met Oscar when Reeva was his girlfriend. They hit it off and met up again after messaging each other. She was really excited about getting to know him.

They saw each other a few times in the weeks before the shooting.

Erin knew word was out about their relationship and has been expecting police to knock on her door for weeks.”

http://newsnowmagazines.blogspot.com.au/2013/05/oscar-pistorius-police-quiz-blonde-pal.html

Attachments

• Erin3.jpg
    Erin3.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 171
IMO it was a lie as Reeva would not have accepted that she was his fiance so she would have told him that she wasn't.

This man has either been bribed to lie or he decided to do so himself to help OP.

In fact, having read the preview of Barry's book today on amazon.com, much of what the neighbours (that the Defence called) testified IMO could be lies, omissions or exaggerations designed to help OP. I hope they feel embarrassed when and if they read Barry's book themselves one day.

I'd be a bit wary regarding certain claims contained within the book. It baffles me that a media journalist feels qualified to proffer this sort of information. Tweeting from the courtroom on a daily basis doesn't automatically make one become a detective or court advocate, let alone presume to know the psyche of OP's neighbours. Then again, a book outlining known facts just wouldn't sell - something he's is all too aware of. Mr Bateman certainly wasn't 'behind the door' when realising the book opportunity during the early days of the trial.

Now what is this about:

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/O...us-familys-rhino-horns-stolen-report-20141006

They certainly keep this Anneliese Burgess busy with her confirmations and denials don't they. Hope she gets paid by the hour.

Five rhino horns have been stolen from Arnold Pistorius, the uncle of culpable homicide-convicted Oscar Pistorius, Beeld newspaper reported on Monday.

Anneliese Burgess, spokesperson for the Pistorius family, confirmed the theft from a walk-in safe at Arnold's business premises in Waterkloof in Pretoria.

The theft was reported to the Brooklyn police station two weeks ago, Burgess told the Afrikaans daily.

"It was our own rhinos' horns that were stolen. The rhinos were dehorned because we were concerned that they would be poached for their horns," she said, adding that the family was in possession of all the required permits for the horns.

They certainly keep this Anneliese Burgess busy with her confirmations and denials don't they.

Now what is this about:

Rhino horns sell for US$65,000.00 per kilo. An adult horn weighs approximately 5 kilos, do the math!!!! My partner and I have had a number of trips to Africa (must admit I love the place). We were under the impression that even if you held a permit the horns would be required to be sent back to a government body. Their legal monetary value would only be realised to an illegal trade !!!! Did his legal team receive 1 Rhino horn each? This is my opinion only after conversing with a number of trackers in Africa, whilst on vacation. Please feel free to correct my interpretation.

I'd be a bit wary regarding certain claims contained within the book. It baffles me that a media journalist feels qualified to proffer this sort of information. Tweeting from the courtroom on a daily basis doesn't automatically make one become a detective or court advocate, let alone presume to know the psyche of OP's neighbours. Then again, a book outlining known facts just wouldn't sell - something he's is all too aware of. Mr Bateman certainly wasn't 'behind the door' when realising the book opportunity during the early days of the trial.

I'd also suggest being wary about the claims of a man who guns down a woman with 4 hollow point bullets, whilst she was in the toilet.

I can understand how we can get away with hypothesising prior to the verdict about what really happened but, now that OP has been found guilty of Culpable Homicide, what is the legal position regarding continuing to speculate? We may not agree with the verdict and may also believe that he is guilty of Murder, but where do we stand legally if we express these opinions? I've taken my Theory* down (temporarily I hope) until I get some assurance that it's not libellous. Is there a legal expert on here who can answer this question?

* it's continuing to be developed offline. It's proving easier than I thought to incorporate the supporting evidence (but then I guess with hindsight it would be, given it may be closer to what really happened than OP's version).

I can understand how we can get away with hypothesising prior to the verdict about what really happened but, now that OP has been found guilty of Culpable Homicide, what is the legal position regarding continuing to speculate? We may not agree with the verdict and may also believe that he is guilty of Murder, but where do we stand legally if we express these opinions? I've taken my Theory* down (temporarily I hope) until I get some assurance that it's not libellous. Is there a legal expert on here who can answer this question?

* it's continuing to be developed offline. It's proving easier than I thought to incorporate the supporting evidence (but then I guess with hindsight it would be, given it may be closer to what really happened than OP's version).

Hopefully the moderators will pick this up and may be able to advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrCharmichael