awaiting sentencing phase

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looked up mobile data plans with Vodacom. A 24 month plan costs R999 (GBP 56, USD 90) per month for 20GB / month plus a further 20GB Night Owl allowance (midnight-05:00).

DSTV (digital satellite TV) seems to be popular in Silver Woods Country Estate. Now trying to find a satellite dish ... ok, I've used Street View to drive around outside the estate and can see satellite dishes on the sides of the houses. So I'm reckoning no cable of any sort.

I can almost hear My Lady now...
" :crush: Mr. Pistorius, you have suffered enough, sweetie."

Yep.

Uncle Arnie's publicly talking about the Olympics (the next planned phase of the family's PR campaign). Privately he's probably gathering his resources in preparation for the appeal process - I wonder who really "stole" the rhino horns?

FYI from Australian Newscorp today: Video

Pistorius could serve sentence in overcrowded jail. A look inside the prison where Oscar Pistorius could serve time when he is sentenced for culpable homicide next week. Debora Gembara reports. She states that Judge may find mitigating factors such as no previous criminal history and his disability, so it is possible he may spend no time in there at all.

http://www.news.com.au/video/id-xwc...rius-could-serve-sentence-in-overcrowded-jail

Correction to my earlier thinking.

I realise now that when Carice says she hears OP walk on tiles (when OP goes upstairs to fetch Reeva's bag) she is referring to the tiles on the floor of the TV area which comes before the bedroom, not the bathroom floor (which would come after). Carice is standing at the top of the stairs and she hears him walking on the tiles before then becoming quiet as he enters the bedroom and walks on the carpeted floor. Her evidence does not suggest he goes in the bathroom (as I originally thought).

"Almost as he was out of my vision my dad came in and he’s like, “where’s Oscar?” and I said “he went upstairs” and then I immediately thought, “oh my gosh”, cos when I was standing there I heard him saying to the paramedics “the gun’s upstairs in the bathroom” and I thought he’s going to go and possibly shoot himself. So I immediately ran up and I stood ... I was too scared to go any further, so I stood at the top of the stairs there in the dark and I just shouted “Oh my ... Oscar, please, just bring the bag quickly.” But I saw ... I heard him walking on the, on the tile area and I could hear he went ... and then I couldn't hear him any more. And that was when I was asking “Oscar please just bring the bag” and he came back out and he brought me the bag. And, umm, he handed me the bag and we walked back downstairs."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTYFykD2nRk @ 19:50

I think you are misinterpreting what Britlaws is saying.

He/she never used the words "direct intent" - merely intent.

Any murder conviction requires intent in some form or another, that's what separates it from negligence.

He/she also didn't say that Masipa made a finding of fact that he didn't intend to harm anybody - just that it hadn't been proven that he had the necessary intent required for eventualis. And that does seem to be what Masipa was trying to say.

He/she did not say that the Jub Jub finding was overturned because the judge didn't find direct intention....merely the necessary intention for eventualis.

I don’t think so. Yes, Britslaw didn’t explicitly say direct intention to harm. But it is clearly implied, with bells on, if you care to read the whole post properly and carefully. It’s the only way for the post to make any sense. According to your interpretation:

"few if any get in their cars to intentionally harm others"
- You would have to believe that few if any people foresee the possibility of a car accident when they get in their cars!

"Masipa wasn't satisfied that it had been proven BRD that OP had the requisite intent towards anyone, not necessarily of killing but there has to be some intent of causing harm, and therefore eventualis was not available to her."
- You would have to believe that if one lacks foresight of harming, one does not necessarily lack foresight of killing!

You can also see that Britslaw does explicitly claim that the court found it was not proven OP intended to harm anybody and on this ground excluded murder eventualis. The judgment still never said any such thing, it is a claim with no basis in fact, you don't need to be a legal expert to see that, and to see the whole post becomes rather redundant because of it.

Once it became obvious that direct intention to harm was implied, then everything in the post suddenly fits and makes perfect sense. This is how I understand the post.

I don’t think so. Yes, Britslaw didn’t explicitly say direct intention to harm. But it is clearly implied, with bells on, if you care to read the whole post properly and carefully. It’s the only way for the post to make any sense. According to your interpretation:

"few if any get in their cars to intentionally harm others"
- You would have to believe that few if any people foresee the possibility of a car accident when they get in their cars!

"Masipa wasn't satisfied that it had been proven BRD that OP had the requisite intent towards anyone, not necessarily of killing but there has to be some intent of causing harm, and therefore eventualis was not available to her."
- You would have to believe that if one lacks foresight of harming, one does not necessarily lack foresight of killing!

You can also see that Britslaw does explicitly claim that the court found it was not proven OP intended to harm anybody and on this ground excluded murder eventualis. The judgment still never said any such thing, it is a claim with no basis in fact, you don't need to be a legal expert to see that, and to see the whole post becomes rather redundant because of it.

Once it became obvious that direct intention to harm was implied, then everything in the post suddenly fits and makes perfect sense. This is how I understand the post.

I do not have reading comprehension difficulties & I did read the post.

You misinterpreted what he/she said, in my opinion.

If that turns out to be the case, it will be a bigger miscarriage of justice even than OJ. Disgusting.

This is really getting to me. I think we've all been so involved and caught up with it all, it's almost like we're personally involved. Well, I guess in our own way we are. It's not only sad for the Steenkamps, the relatives, the friends, the DT and people around the world, but it's sad for the people of SA and the issue of domestic violence against women everywhere. Justice not only has to be done but seen to be done, and this hasn't happened.

Maybe, just maybe, the best thing that could happen is that he does get a very light sentence, suspended sentence, whatever, and Nel will go all out for an appeal on the basis of Masipa having erred in her interpretation of the law and it moves on to the Supreme Court of Appeal where 3 judges decide the matter differently. I don't know anymore. All I do know is that the punishment should fit the crime and I just can't see that in Masipa's eyes there's been a terrible crime committed here.

I am preparing myself for the worst scenario in terms of the law but the best one for OP!

Because of his disability, Masipa, as an ex social worker, will probably not want him to go to prison as he has suffered enough with the unfortunate death of a woman he loved so much. She does not want to punish him twice. Masipa spent time in prison once and had to clean toilets because she had been involved in a demonstration. It is also OP's first offence. But I hope he is banned from owning a gun for the rest of his life.

So, in my opinion, he will be given a suspended sentence and fined and/or have to give Reeva's parents compensation (if they are not now considering a civil suit), or he will be given house arrest at Uncle Arnie's mansion where he will be still be able to work apparently.

"The best alternative to jail is correctional supervision, a sentence of house arrest which would be for a maximum of three years.

"That would see him confined to his home and being able to leave only for legitimate reasons, such as work."

http://www.timeslive.co.za/thetimes/2014/10/10/oscar-won-t-go-to-jail

That means he will be able to compete at the 2016 Olympics and Paralympics in Brazil as South Africans do not need a visa to go to Brazil (and they are lax about criminal records) as long as he makes the times required by South Africa to be selected. However, he will not be allowed to compete in the UK or USA as he would not be given a visa. He will probably not be able to get any sponsors so I guess the family will have to sponsor him. I wonder how much training he has been doing and how fit he is right now?

But I have now resigned myself to the fact that this is probably what is going to happen so I will not be disappointed.

I am predicting public outrage if this is the sentence and sincerely hope that the NPA lodge an appeal and it goes before the Court of Appeal and, if the appeal is successful, OP is in prison before he can compete in Rio de Janeiro in 2016.

Since Masipa now has very similar arguments to Kelly Phelps, if Kelly Phelps thinks it is unlikely he will be jailed, then I think that's the verdict...sad...

The degree of negligence is important. So if it's found that it could have happened to 'any one of us', then he'll most likely escape imprisonment and get a fine and/or house arrest?

First of all, this is not something that could have happened to 'any one of us', since most of us aren't so impulsive that we'd charge down the hall with a loaded gun (on the basis of a 'noise') without checking where our partner was, and then fire 4 shots into a confined space.

Secondly, if he gets house arrest, who exactly is going to ensure he complies? Uncle Arnold? The police? Does anyone honestly think OP would adhere to the rules of house arrest? I certainly don't. All this rubbish about how jail is awful, and how he's a first time offender, blah blah blah - so what? He could have avoided all this by using the tiniest bit of common sense, and since he was an experienced firearm user, shouldn't he have been held to a higher standard?

If he gets off with a manageable fine, or is allowed to stay at Uncle Arnold's luxury home, what punishment is that, seriously, for killing a woman in his own home?

This is really getting to me. I think we've all been so involved and caught up with it all, it's almost like we're personally involved. Well, I guess in our own way we are. It's not only sad for the Steenkamps, the relatives, the friends, the DT and people around the world, but it's sad for the people of SA and the issue of domestic violence against women everywhere. Justice not only has to be done but seen to be done, and this hasn't happened.

Maybe, just maybe, the best thing that could happen is that he does get a very light sentence, suspended sentence, whatever, and Nel will go all out for an appeal on the basis of Masipa having erred in her interpretation of the law and it moves on to the Supreme Court of Appeal where 3 judges decide the matter differently. I don't know anymore. All I do know is that the punishment should fit the crime and I just can't see that in Masipa's eyes there's been a terrible crime committed here.

I agree with you, Jj .. it just seems to me to be the most incredible minimization of violence against women, and on the worldwide stage too. I was hoping this case would be something which could be used to assist in educating people in regard to domestic violence (be it the perpertrators of it, or those who sit in the sidelines and judge women for somehow being at fault, and all those 'don't know why she didn't just leave' type cliches, and also for the victims themselves to know that they are taken seriously) .. for there is no doubt this is what this case is all about, it was no accident, it was domestic violence pure and simple .. and it has been allowed to be minimized to just a small, unfortunate, incident. It disgusts me.

Just a quick post on my thoughts re. the comparisons of OJ's trial and this one .. I don't really think there is any comparison in terms of the reasons why they both got off a murder charge .. the two are really quite different, just that they happen to end up with the same result. OJ's was a jury trial and the reason why he got off was because of the racial divide .. that isn't what's happening here with OP's trial .. for one thing, it's not a jury trial, and the other factor is that he is SA's golden boy, not to be tarnished, and there must've been some sort of 'goings on' behind the scenes for the result to be as it is .. which is not the same as what happened in the OJ trial .. that one was decided by a jury, albeit incorrectly (by all accounts).

Timeline now includes 14 Feb tab pre- and post-bangs, helps, bangs. Further details and sources still to be added.

I agree with you, Jj .. it just seems to me to be the most incredible minimization of violence against women, and on the worldwide stage too.
I was hoping this case would be something which could be used to assist in educating people in regard to domestic violence (be it the perpertrators of it, or those who sit in the sidelines and judge women for somehow being at fault, and all those 'don't know why she didn't just leave' type cliches, and also for the victims themselves to know that they are taken seriously) .. for there is no doubt this is what this case is all about, it was no accident, it was domestic violence pure and simple .. and it has been allowed to be minimized to just a small, unfortunate, incident. It disgusts me.
BIB - What the judge did (in my opinion) was show how little value she placed on a human life. She'd already dismissed the anxious messages from Reeva that said OP scared her sometimes and that she was worried about how he'd 'snap' at her. I mean, isn't killing Reeva the final 'snap'? So, not content with having entirely silenced Reeva's voice, she then proceeded to pussyfoot around the killer and accept that because he cried afterwards, then he must have been innocent. And this was supposed to be the judge who was harsh on crimes against women??? She showed utter disdain for the victim, and extreme sympathy and understanding for the killer. How the hell did that happen?

The judge has no doubt already made up her mind OP isn't going to prison, so she might as well save court time and just say so on Monday, rather than go through the farce of listening to any more witnesses for a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay