AZ AZ - Allison Feldman, 31, Scottsdale, 18 Feb 2015 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgive me for being off topic here, but is there any section on WS like in our profile, where you can create a list of different cases we are following?

MissD, how cute. Your own detective agency at 5! Have you ever thought of becoming a PI? I had a student whose mother is one. She's supposedly has a great reputation. Speaking of,PI's, I wonder if Allison's family have ever thought of hiring one.

Forgive me for being off topic here, but is there any section on WS like in our profile, where you can create a list of different cases we are following?

Midge, I don't know. Perhaps you can contact a mod and ask them.

BBM:

Thanks Nancy! I did have a truly wonderful mom and I miss her very much!

My parents were both great! And they were protective while still allowing me to do basically anything I wanted. Other than being killed by a horse (I grew up on a ranch) my mom's (and my dad's) greatest fear was that someone was going to kidnap me.

Why? I have no idea. If someone had done that I'm sure they would have returned me in short order, ransom or no ransom. LOL!

But they did go overboard in cautioning me about strangers and getting in a car with anyone (even people they knew) locking doors, except on the ranch where we never did, but as I got older my dad would regularly caution me about how not to ever park next to a van, never open the door to anyone I didn't know and to be careful even then.

They did make me afraid, at least subconsciously. But at the same time their cautioning me about these things caused me to create an interest in kidnapping, murders, and crime in general at an early age.

I was only about 5 when me and my friend Marsha started our own neighborhood detective agency and convinced all the kids in school to let us fingerprint them with our homemade fingerprinting kit.

So...here I am today...on a Websleuths site trying to figure out who might have killed a beautiful young girl who lived not so far away from me.

I wish there was more I could do.

PS...Be careful where you live. Even in the Midwest there are wacko-weirdos. (They probably moved there though, haha!) Fantastic to hear your 94 year old mother is doing so well. Hope she keeps it up for many years to come!

:)

MissD, I'm in the Southeast, but yes my mother is doing well going on 95 in August and will not leave her home despite offers to live elsewhere. More brave than I am, really. It's too bad Allison's neighbors have to live in fear. I pray this gets solved.

NancyDrew, that's great about your mom. I am optimistic this case will be solved.

You could use the space for your signature...it is pretty big.

Yes. Go to your "settings" by clicking your own NIC. Scroll down to signatures. Add what you like and SAVE.

Wonder how many are now armed.... (not meaning to turn thread into discussion of guns)... but it's nice having a gun... especially when someone is trying to bust into your house (as I can relate to) - of course you have to know gun safety and firepower...
Sorry to be O/T but it's relevant, IMO. I am armed with permits at all times.
Loooong call (32 minute) to 911 when a woman is home alone and a man is breaking in her house:
GRAPHIC ..... warning: (heart breaking)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_bhp-_e_D8&spfreload=10

Sorry to be O/T but it's relevant, IMO. I am armed with permits at all times.
Loooong call (32 minute) to 911 when a woman is home alone and a man is breaking in her house:
GRAPHIC ..... warning: (heart breaking)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_bhp-_e_D8&spfreload=10

Oh my word. That was nerve-wracking to listen to, wasn't it? As I said, I hope and pray I never ever have to shoot someone. But if they get into my house, through all those locked doors, I will. I have been well trained. My husband, being a Combat Vet, has taught me self-defense moves if I should get attacked out and about. The concealed carry course I took devoted a lot of time to home security and taught me to reduce risk in many ways. Doors locked, motion-activated lights on three sides of the home, not leaving things lying around the yard like a ladder, or things that can be used to break a window, etc. We have a dog that alerts us to anyone outside. A dog, according to the instructor, is the biggest deterrent to a robber.

I realize that Allison could not, due to her heavy travel schedule, have a dog. She did install an alarm system. It appears that for some reason she let her killer into the home. (Correct me if I am wrong on that.) My heart and mind still tell me it was someone she knows.
I certainly hope they are getting close to an arrest. Those in the neighborhood have got to be frightened.

Oh my word. That was nerve-wracking to listen to, wasn't it? As I said, I hope and pray I never ever have to shoot someone. But if they get into my house, through all those locked doors, I will. I have been well trained. My husband, being a Combat Vet, has taught me self-defense moves if I should get attacked out and about. The concealed carry course I took devoted a lot of time to home security and taught me to reduce risk in many ways. Doors locked, motion-activated lights on three sides of the home, not leaving things lying around the yard like a ladder, or things that can be used to break a window, etc. We have a dog that alerts us to anyone outside. A dog, according to the instructor, is the biggest deterrent to a robber.

I realize that Allison could not, due to her heavy travel schedule, have a dog. She did install an alarm system. It appears that for some reason she let her killer into the home. (Correct me if I am wrong on that.) My heart and mind still tell me it was someone she knows.
I certainly hope they are getting close to an arrest. Those in the neighborhood have got to be frightened.

Midge! I'm so glad you have a gun and know how and are not afraid to use it. I've known how to shoot a gun all my life. Growing up on a ranch my dad taught me when I was really young, seriously around 5. He used to love putting tin cans on the fence posts and then watching me shoot them off with a .22. I grew up in Texas and nearly all my friends had guns and no one thought a thing about it.

It always amazes me when I meet someone who is very afraid of guns. But I do think a gun is the best protection a woman living alone can have. There is absolutely no more helpless feeling than knowing someone is breaking into your home or knowing someone 'already has' and you are in your bed.

I've had this happen and fortunately I didn't have to kill the intruder. When I yelled out "I have a gun!" it scared him and he left. I didn't know he was gone or even how he got in until the police arrived and I had the nerve to go to the front door and let them in as I was on the phone with the 911 operator. But he had come in through the sliding glass door of my living room. I didn't have a security system at the time. Or a dog.

They never found the intruder and it didn't happen again but I shudder to think what might have happened if I hadn't had a gun in my nightstand and heard a noise outside my bedroom door.

At first I screamed, like the typical woman thing, and then for just one split second I froze, like a frightened little rabbit, but then I sprung into action, yelling out as I quickly got my gun out of the nightstand.

I don't know if Allison had a gun. I only read one news report that spoke of a shooting and I've never seen another one and have no idea if it was accurate. I do think it is highly possible that there was a gun in the house. Her BF who spent a lot of time over there might have kept a gun there. Or he might have encouraged her to have a gun as well as a security system.

When I start thinking there was a gun in the house, or even more than one (possibly) my visuals start to change. And I can see things happening differently than I might have envisioned them when I didn't think about a gun being involved.

At this point we still don't know. We don't know how she was killed.

I wonder how he might have gotten 'cuts' on him. They said 'cuts and scratches'. Did she have a knife? Normally you don't 'cut' someone with your fingernails.

jmo

PS....Still betting on #5

Another case HERE on WS ... http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...r-amp-son)-murdered-in-Metairie-home-*ARREST*

Long story short ... two strangers came in and shot 2 people while another was asleep in another room.

It happens. Whether this happened to Allison or not?... have no clue and I refuse to speculate and will not fall for rumors. JMO

Why do you refuse to speculate, Ransom? That's really about all we can do here isn't it?

Are there rumors about her being shot? Now you have my curiosity really up?

Let's talk about the DNA again:

LE says they have the killer's DNA profile. What exactly does that mean?

Let's talk about the DNA again:

LE says they have the killer's DNA profile. What exactly does that mean?

A little Googling told me this: DNA can be extracted from small biological samples, such as a few drops of blood, using modern technology. The sample can be analyzed, which creates a DNA profile that is used to identify the suspect.
That profile can be compared to all of the profiles in a database.

I'm glad I looked this up. I had been wondering if the DNA profile was what they actually use to compare the investigation findings to the catalog of DNA samples they have on file, or if it was just something that told a few details like sex, race, etc. It appears this is what they actually do the matching with. Good to know.

I keep thinking though, about the DNA.........even if LE obtained it from under her fingernails..........they still have to have the perp to be able to compare it to. Even if they enter the DNA results into some type of criminal DNA database, if the perp has no criminal history and has no DNA on file in that system, they'd not get a match. So DNA is only good/helpful if you have a potential perp to match it to. So the fact that it's been some time now since they obtained DNA and no arrest has been made, it makes me wonder if they have no match and therefore no clue who did this. But something I DO wonder. Say they have a possible suspect in mind but not enough evidence to obtain whatever legal documentation they'd require (warrant?) to require that individual to submit DNA.............could that be what's causing the delay? What if LE has someone in mind and has met with this person who was initially cooperative but when LE asked him for a DNA sample he got a lawyer who advised him that it was his right to refuse and then it all just stopped right there?

I keep thinking though, about the DNA.........even if LE obtained it from under her fingernails..........they still have to have the perp to be able to compare it to. Even if they enter the DNA results into some type of criminal DNA database, if the perp has no criminal history and has no DNA on file in that system, they'd not get a match. So DNA is only good/helpful if you have a potential perp to match it to. So the fact that it's been some time now since they obtained DNA and no arrest has been made, it makes me wonder if they have no match and therefore no clue who did this. But something I DO wonder. Say they have a possible suspect in mind but not enough evidence to obtain whatever legal documentation they'd require (warrant?) to require that individual to submit DNA.............could that be what's causing the delay? What if LE has someone in mind and has met with this person who was initially cooperative but when LE asked him for a DNA sample he got a lawyer who advised him that it was his right to refuse and then it all just stopped right there?

Good question. I will say that I have watched a gazillion episodes of Forensic Files, Investigation Discovery, etc. and have seen several where they have had a refusal to provide DNA from a suspect. They can usually get it one way or another. They can go through trash, for example. They can do a setup with someone who will meet them for a drink then swipe the glass the suspect was using. They can follow someone around, watching for them to toss out a cigarette butt or a fast food drink straw, etc. It takes a pretty smooth person to evade this altogether. Even if they are aware they are being followed for DNA purposes, they will likely slip up eventually and leave something behind.

LE could try to obtain a surreptitious sample from something like a discarded cigarette butt or water bottle. If the DNA profile from the saliva matches the profile from the crime scene, that's sufficient probable cause to obtain a warrant to collect a "proper" sample. But that's just one possibility. Hopefully, LE has their hands on enough additional evidence to put together a case, IF there is a known suspect. But it all takes time. Chances are they don't even have the lab results back on the DNA yet.

LE could try to obtain a surreptitious sample from something like a discarded cigarette butt or water bottle. If the DNA profile from the saliva matches the profile from the crime scene, that's sufficient probable cause to obtain a warrant to collect a "proper" sample. But that's just one possibility. Hopefully, LE has their hands on enough additional evidence to put together a case, IF there is a known suspect. But it all takes time. Chances are they don't even have the lab results back on the DNA yet.

So even if LE says they have the killer's DNA profile, they might not have the lab results back yet? I'm so confused about the DNA.

Here is what the official Scottsdaleaz.gov latest report states:

<snipped>

"Finally, investigators have physical evidence that will positively identify this person, but can also exclude anyone not involved."

http://www.scottsdaleaz.gov/Police/...der?DateTime=635645358000000000&PageMode=View

If this is the case and they have a DNA profile, why are they not 'clearing anyone'?

A little Googling told me this: DNA can be extracted from small biological samples, such as a few drops of blood, using modern technology. The sample can be analyzed, which creates a DNA profile that is used to identify the suspect.
That profile can be compared to all of the profiles in a database.

I'm glad I looked this up. I had been wondering if the DNA profile was what they actually use to compare the investigation findings to the catalog of DNA samples they have on file, or if it was just something that told a few details like sex, race, etc. It appears this is what they actually do the matching with. Good to know.

I don't think they can determine 'race' with DNA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leahruss