AZ AZ - Axel Brugere, 20, NAU student, got separated while hiking, A.B. Young Trail & East Pocket, Coconino Co, 27 May 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
Officials are looking for a man who became lost while hiking in northern Arizona.

Axel Brugere, 20, was reported missing last week, officials said Monday.

Coconino County Sheriff’s Office says Brugere reportedly became separated from a hiking companion in the area of A.B. Young Trail and East Pocket on May 27.

Brugere is reportedly unfamiliar with the area and may be lost.

Brugere was last seen wearing red shorts and is about 5 feet, 9 inches tall, and 140 pounds. He has green eyes and brown hair.

Anyone with information is asked to contact CCSO.

Linkedin

Search efforts have continued over the weekend with the assistance of an Arizona Department of Public Safety Helicopter on Saturday and Sunday,” CCSO reported. “Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office Search and rescue were requested for additional manpower. Currently there are approximately 25 people working the Search. Due to the extreme terrain and topography, CCSO Search and Rescue is utilizing Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (Drones) to search the area.”

Search efforts have continued over the weekend with the assistance of an Arizona Department of Public Safety Helicopter on Saturday and Sunday,” CCSO reported. “Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office Search and rescue were requested for additional manpower. Currently there are approximately 25 people working the Search. Due to the extreme terrain and topography, CCSO Search and Rescue is utilizing Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (Drones) to search the area.”
More info from link.

His hiking friend, John, told investigators they reached the top around 1 p.m. While Axel stayed at the top, John decided to explore the area, which has access to the East Pocket Knob Lookout tower and Forest Service Road 231. When John returned around 30 minutes later, he said, Axel was gone.

John said he thought Axel went back down Young Trail to their vehicle, which was parked in the Bootlegger Day Use area.

“At this point, John became disoriented and was unable to locate the A.B. Young Trail back down to the vehicle,” the CCSO report states. “John located a drainage and started to head back down to Oak Creek. John was able to get down the drainage which ultimately took him to the area of Slide Rock State Park. John finally made it back to the Bootlegger Day Use area at approximately 11 p.m.”

Axel was not there. John did not have a phone or keys to the vehicle and spent the night in the restroom building. In the morning, he caught a ride back to his work in Flagstaff and called CCSO to report Axel missing.

Where would Axel go?

More info from link.

His hiking friend, John, told investigators they reached the top around 1 p.m. While Axel stayed at the top, John decided to explore the area, which has access to the East Pocket Knob Lookout tower and Forest Service Road 231. When John returned around 30 minutes later, he said, Axel was gone.

John said he thought Axel went back down Young Trail to their vehicle, which was parked in the Bootlegger Day Use area.

“At this point, John became disoriented and was unable to locate the A.B. Young Trail back down to the vehicle,” the CCSO report states. “John located a drainage and started to head back down to Oak Creek. John was able to get down the drainage which ultimately took him to the area of Slide Rock State Park. John finally made it back to the Bootlegger Day Use area at approximately 11 p.m.”

Axel was not there. John did not have a phone or keys to the vehicle and spent the night in the restroom building. In the morning, he caught a ride back to his work in Flagstaff and called CCSO to report Axel missing.

Where would Axel go?
This is crazy. I wish I could remember the man’s name, but there was a case a few years back of a man and two other people hiking together (I think it was the Grand Canyon). They came to a small ‘fork’ in the trail that they knew combined back into the same trail just around a hill, the man went one way, the other two took the other direction. They should’ve met back up on the conjoining trail in less than a half hour and he was just gone. Daylight. They started searching immediately, etc., etc. To my knowledge he was never found. I wish I could remember his name.

Where could Axel have gone, and why? It seems he had the car keys, so you wouldn’t think he‘d just up and leave his friend stranded. And John came back within 30 minutes or so from his exploring so it doesn’t seem Alex would have had cause enough for concern to go looking for John, as he did not become ‘lost’ until after that.

I will be following and praying.

More info from link.

Where would Axel go?
The statement that his companion John made that he became disoriented on his way down makes me wonder if they both were dehydrated. It's not been super hot in the Sedona area, but normal warm days with exertion can have that effect. If they had consumed some alcohol as well, perhaps a beer or two before they enjoyed their hike, something I would have likely done at their age, that would make matters worse. I hope Axel has found a water source and is just hunkered down waiting for help.

Hmmmm, I am wondering if the two of them decided to try something stronger than alcohol, and that led to the disorientation.

This article says that Brugere is from Flagstaff, though we don't know how long he has lived there. It hasn't been hot in Flagstaff (not compared to Phoenix). Mid-to upper-70s for highs and 40s for lows.

Hmmmm, I am wondering if the two of them decided to try something stronger than alcohol, and that led to the disorientation.

This article says that Brugere is from Flagstaff, though we don't know how long he has lived there. It hasn't been hot in Flagstaff (not compared to Phoenix). Mid-to upper-70s for highs and 40s for lows

This article says that Brugere is from Flagstaff, though we don't know how long he has lived there. It hasn't been hot in Flagstaff (not compared to Phoenix). Mid-to upper-70s for highs and 40s for lows
From what I could tell from a quick look at a map of the trail, where he went missing was in the Sedona area (near Flagstaff but not always in the same weather). According to the records it was 93 the day he went missing. https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/sedona/86336/may-weather/336862

This is crazy. I wish I could remember the man’s name, but there was a case a few years back of a man and two other people hiking together (I think it was the Grand Canyon). They came to a small ‘fork’ in the trail that they knew combined back into the same trail just around a hill, the man went one way, the other two took the other direction. They should’ve met back up on the conjoining trail in less than a half hour and he was just gone. Daylight. They started searching immediately, etc., etc. To my knowledge he was never found. I wish I could remember his name.

Where could Axel have gone, and why? It seems he had the car keys, so you wouldn’t think he‘d just up and leave his friend stranded. And John came back within 30 minutes or so from his exploring so it doesn’t seem Alex would have had cause enough for concern to go looking for John, as he did not become ‘lost’ until after that.

I will be following and praying.
You're thinking of the Floyd Roberts case (LOTS of media articles on it) . Hewent for a hike in the Grand Canyon on June 17, 2016 whis friend Ned Bryant and Ned's daughter, Madeleine.

Roberts was a one-time NASA employee, computer programming teacher, and experienced hiker who had been to the Grand Canyon before — so, when they reached a hill during the course of their planned nine-day hike, no one gave it a second thought when they split up. The Bryants went over the hill and Roberts went around, with the idea that they'd meet on the other side. He never showed up. A six day search of a 10 square mile area found nothing and he's yet to be found.

In Axel's case, if you go on FB a family member does have an update on the search and a couple of interesting things found during that, last updated 4 days ago. I can't link as it's not verified by LE.

In Axel's case, if you go on FB a family member does have an update on the search and a couple of interesting things found during that, last updated 4 days ago. I can't link as it's not verified by LE.
<snipped>

ITA about the interesting items found - one especially stands out to me. I hope I'm allowed to mention that the family member and another person are seriously searching for Axel, including one search with 36 switchbacks and climbing 2000 vertical feet that made for a severe climb (just to show and appreciate their efforts).

You're thinking of the Floyd Roberts case (LOTS of media articles on it) . Hewent for a hike in the Grand Canyon on June 17, 2016 whis friend Ned Bryant and Ned's daughter, Madeleine.

Roberts was a one-time NASA employee, computer programming teacher, and experienced hiker who had been to the Grand Canyon before — so, when they reached a hill during the course of their planned nine-day hike, no one gave it a second thought when they split up. The Bryants went over the hill and Roberts went around, with the idea that they'd meet on the other side. He never showed up. A six day search of a 10 square mile area found nothing and he's yet to be found.

Thank you SO much! You have no idea how I wished I could remember.

A Flagstaff man who hasn't been seen since May 27 is still missing, and Coconino County Sheriff's Office has had to change its approach to the search for him.

Axel Brugere, 20, a psychology student at Northern Arizona University, was last seen in Oak Creek Canyon. CCSO and volunteer have been searching by ground and air since being notified of the situation the morning of May 28.

"The search operation has transitioned into limited continuous search status, meaning the search for Mr. Brugere is ongoing in a reduced capacity," CCSO stated in public information Friday. "The investigation will remain open until Mr. Brugere is located."

Axel Brugere was hiking the A.B. Young Trail near Slide Rock State Park with a companion. His companion told deputies after they reached the top of the trail, they separated for about 30 minutes, and that was the last time he saw Axel.

“The decision to transition to limited continuous status on this search is made with the utmost gravity and compassion for Mr. Brugere's friends and family,” CCSO stated.

Sadly, any combination of separating from one's hiking buddy, going off trail, challenging terrain and high temperatures often leads to a very bad result. Combining all four factors, IMO, no other explanation is required. Hoping Axel's family and friends find peace.

We just spent a week hiking in Flagstaff and Sedona and even walked the NAU campus. We did not see a single missing poster for Axel. Oak Creek Canyon is very popular with families, especially right now. It's HOT and OCC offers shade with very shallow water for everyone to splash in. We hiked 7 miles through the creek just a mile north of the AB Young trail. At most, the creek was six inches deep, but usually it was maybe 3 inches. We were going to hike AB Young after our seven mile hike, but when we arrived at the trail head it was over 100 and with the steep climb we decided against it. This area is full of families and hikers. I'm surprised he hasn't been located. I am hoping he just walked away.

If you find his Uncle's posts on social media he mentions where some clues were located which might explain why others didn't see him.
We just spent a week hiking in Flagstaff and Sedona and even walked the NAU campus. We did not see a single missing poster for Axel. Oak Creek Canyon is very popular with families, especially right now. It's HOT and OCC offers shade with very shallow water for everyone to splash in. We hiked 7 miles through the creek just a mile north of the AB Young trail. At most, the creek was six inches deep, but usually it was maybe 3 inches. We were going to hike AB Young after our seven mile hike, but when we arrived at the trail head it was over 100 and with the steep climb we decided against it. This area is full of families and hikers. I'm surprised he hasn't been located. I am hoping he just walked away.

I am hoping he just walked away.
I am too, but I do wish people wouldn't do it when they are hiking with others.
It's not fair on them. The panic and anxiety must be huge.
"Just walking away" is hurtful and disrespectful to the other people.

If you must do it, leave a note at home, and go off by yourself.

MOO.

It's a few days shy of a month that Axel has been missing. CCSO recently replied to a comment on their 10 Jun 2022 FB post. Kudos to them for responding to comments even though there isn't anything new to report. I hope they find Axel soon.

23 Jun 2022
Coconino County Sheriff's Office

We do not have any updates. The investigation remains open. When an update becomes available, we will provide to the public and media. Thank you.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jadeeire
Back